RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

15678911»

Comments

• Cougs, awesome blagging pardner  image

Well done Marrows, an awesome time from you too

Glad it all worked out for you!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Do you want a really long one? too bad if not.

Met Minni, Genghis Khan, and PhilPub before the start: cool.  I did not notice GK inspecting my calves but he wrote a review later.  He must have been very discreet.

Faffed with number and pins and stashed 6 gels inside my bra. I do not usually carry so many and they jiggled.  That was annoying, and reminded me to feel thankful for my practical physique, which now looked oddly bulgy. Rearranged some more and cured jiggling.

I lost 45-60 seconds to the shuffling crowd in the first mile.  Couldn't read tiny pace band print and decided to stick around 4:30/km and forget attempts at arithmetic.  The next few miles were relaxed and I chanced upon some friends.  One had a picture of our mutual dead friend on his back; lots of us still use him as imaginary companion and pacer and recall his sterling advice to 'find a nice bum and follow it'.  I took a couple of sips of water and squirted a buddy with the rest of the bottle, then put away Silly Self and thought about how extremely excellent and serious I was.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I got a stitch. Something distracted me and it disappeared.  I met Dr Dan and then DT.  That was nice.

Got to half way in 1:35:5x, still feeling fresh.  I thought that's good - have held 4:30/km bar the early hold-up, and reckon I can do an even split, 3:11:xx will do for club record and I'll be happy with that.   Saw the elite leaders coming the other way and got to scream at Mo Farah as he passed, a few seconds before our courses diverged.  Wahoo!

On the way out of Canary Wharf I passed DT19, but was feeling too severe to speak to him this time (sorry DT).

Mile 19-20 I saw a familiar gait ahead - a faster clubmate.  He did his usual routine of 'leave me, I'm dying' and then speeding up to beat me, but after a while he dropped back and eventually I couldn't hear people shouting his name any more..

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Mile 20 and I still felt pretty fresh. Nothing really complaining.  Was I allowed to kick on yet? Hmmm.  The disadvantage of finishing strong is you have no-one to run with.  The bums were all OK (after all these are 3:10ish bums, or at least they think they are) but it's no use following one if it is walking, stumbling, stopping..

Pace wasn't physically difficult to maintain now, but for a couple of minutes I stopped concentrating and saw I had drifted to 4:40/km.  Time to start fishing through my bag of mantras. I tried out and discarded each one in turn before settling on just feeling mean.  Some sort of creeping jungle beast or robot.  Friends who saw me here say that I did indeed look really mean.

Mile 24,  Blue line. Everyone else is slow. I am still mean.
    Mile 25, Clock. Oh: sub 3:10 is on after all.
    800m to go, mean face displaced by gruesome attempted smile for camera and then PB gurn for finishing sprint.  Bonza! Sub 3:10!

At the finish a stranger wanted to give me a hug, and we both had a little cry.  I also thanked the mankini man for helping me feel less under-dressed but could not understand his reply because he was so Welsh. dragon tattoo on one buttock.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Waddled off to the pub where I found our chief foul-mouthed friendly club elder.  He'd brought a folding chair, sat me down in the sunshine and bought me a bag of crisps.  Gradually others arrived and reviewed races - mixed bag - some cracking runs and some horrible ones.

I definitely got the eating, drinking, and clothing right.  Kept cool, didn't bonk, didn't poo, no headache, no nausea.  Perhaps I should have run faster from earlier.  In last 7.2K I passed 531 people and 1 person passed me. And today I feel a bit too good, no DOMS and was fine cycling to work. No regrets though - it was a fun way to run it and I'm chuffed with the result.  I might try going out a bit harder at Richmond Park marathon in a few weeks' time..

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I see, distract me with chat when it suits then sneak past and leaving me death marching alone out of the wharfimage That was my lowest point. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

1) Told you the print on those pace bands was too tiny to read.

2) Welsh mankini man must have had a shocking second half, I remember passing him and I think it was about 2/3 of the way in.

• Nice one marrows. You make it sound too easy. I suppose that is the benefit of proper training.  Well done.

• Nice report marrows - love your attention to detail !

I saw mankini man (shudder) right at the front of pen 1. He must have been on for a sub 3 earlier on.

Fantastic pacing - so strong in the second half - your training really paid off.

I got my last 7k stats - passed 1048 and 0 passed me. Clearly these are tactics we've been working on all year.

Hopefully I'll get to see you next year ? I've a GFA from last year unless they change the rules again.

Brilliant running. I'm over the moon for you getting the time you deserved.
  • Well done marrows. excellent report and sorry i couldnt see anyone (like id know anyone anyway image)

Saw mankini aswell....image. lots of toilets. Water bottle etc. very good day for spectating image

Off to hospital for me tonight as i was down the track last night 4 x 1600m 

6:01, 5:58, 5:57, 5:58 last 100m foot just exploded with pain as i crossed the line. Not very happy as you may understand (ibuprofen is not touching it at all!!)

Loads of people think they can diagnose it off the top of their heads but im going for professional (?) opinion.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Loved the race report, congratulations on a well executed race and a negative split image

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

DT  you did have the option of getting angry and chasing me down! Next time!

Jason that does not sound good.  Hope the hospital helped.  Is it the same foot again?

Amazing last 7K stats from you there Cougie! Bet that was fun.

• Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

This just made me spit out my tea laughing

'Some sort of creeping jungle beast or robot'

image I can just imagine image