Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options

Marrows I intend on running no where near that mileage image.

i know I won't be pushing for a 11m mid week that would push me to the limit. if I can do a 3:45 off very little mileage I can just about push for sub 3:30 off 30-40 a week.

• Options

That mileage would be impossible for me too, I would break down pretty soon!

• Options
    cougie wrote (see)

What have your last few weeks looked like ? Building to this ?

I didn't run at all in August but went for a few long bike rides.  I spent September and early October gradually ramping up running again and managed one 21 miler and one 19 miler before it was time to taper for Beachy Head.  I felt good and bouncy within a few days after that but had sore achilles tendons which hurt when I ran fast.  Total mileage for the next few weeks was:
    Nov 4 - 53 miles
    Nov 11 - 51 miles
    Nov 18 - 35 miles
    Nov 25 - 22 miles
    Dec 2 - 39 miles
    That included three 16 mile runs and a little slapdash speed work/strava sniping but no proper tempo runs or visits to the track.  The last three there were light because of combination of holidays and achilles trouble (aggravated by hill walking - one bulged and creaked but is now fine).

Dec 9 I started the P&D schedule.

• Options

Careful Marrows ... he'll have you signed up for IM by the end of the week   image

• Options

Meldy.  NOOOOOOOOO

• Options

Rest yesterday and 10 miles with some strides today.  The non-strides bit came out about 7:15-7:30/mile with some nice scenic splashing about.  A bit quick I know but promise tomorrow will be very slow (I plan to bully someone slower into running with me. They don't know about it yet)

Despite aggressive holiday eating I am chuffed to find myself marginally lighter now than before Christmas. I hope that maybe 2.5kg more will effortlessly vanish but I wouldn't bet on it.

Cougie - will you tell us a bit about yourself? What have you got planned this spring? I saw you said you run London every year.

• Options

Hi marrows 7M for me this morning wrapped up 2013 nicely

5 x 1M each coming out bang on 6:30 (consistent or what image)

2moro written off already as too busy getting arm attacked by the tattooist (4 HOURS!!)

easy miles planned for thursday now as back to work image Then!

2014 is going to be epic!! 

• Options
    Sounds like a decent build up there Marrows - so not just jumping in at the deep end.

Well myself - I've been cycling for 30+ years - never really managed to give that up - so Sundays are always a decent ride.

I've been running London since about 2002 - I think I've only missed one of those years and I ran Edinburgh instead that year.

I ran GFA last year in London 3.13 after a really crappy start to training - due to a lot of snow stopping me getting out. And I did 3.09 the year before on a hilly Liverpool course.

This year I'm having a bit of a change. A lot more cycling - I'm racing a duathlon in March. 5k run, 15m bike 5k run - so that will be fun. Then I have London to race again.

I'll probably race an IM again but in the UK in the summer - to see if the extra bike training helps.

Good work on the weight there - I'll probably weigh myself when the public weighbridge is open again.....
  • Options

Happy New Year chaps.  

Started 2014 with a horrible Parkrun in freezing rain and wind.  Little motivation resulted in a time of 21:19, which is my 2nd slowest ever.  I did a second lap to make a total of about 6m altogether.

The traditional festive gluttony, which seems to start earlier every year, has left me with about 5lb extra.  It usually, goes fairly quickly once I stop stuffing my face all day every day.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Picture please Jason.  Do you have a very long arm?  Nice reps.

13 miles today averaging slower than 9 min/miles! Small baby sister came for a romp in hills/wood/mud. I wore road shoes and landed on my arse.  I thought I'd take today's run slow and it would be dead easy but ended up tired.

• Options
    It did look a hilly run - 13 miles with hills is never going to be dead easy.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

OK, lesson learned.

I feared the household mood might deteriorate yesterday after someone dropped their smartphone in the toilet so I escaped for 11 miles at 7:45 min/mile-ish. Much easier on flat tarmac!  5 mile 'recovery run' scheduled for today and parkrun tomorrow.  I don't know whether to do the parkrun as a tempo run or actually race it.

• Options
    I'd not fret too much over racing a parkrun - its only 5k - so recovery shouldnt be that difficult.

See how you feel on the day maybe.

My wifes iphone survived a bath quite well. Except facebook has stopped working. Which is probably for the best I think. Well done apple.

We put the iphone in the airing cupboard in rice for 24 hours or more. If its not an iphone dissasemble it as much as you can first.
  • Options

Race it! Race it! image

i dropped my iphone in a cuppa T last year and it didnt survive image

• Options

Just entered Droitwich HM 5 weeks before the big day.  Fairly small affair, but I think it's reasonably quick course, or at least regularly undulating, which I think I prefer.

Just skimmed back Marrows and couldn't seen any mention of races you have planned.  Have you got anything lined up between now and London?

I would feel comfortable following a Saturday parkrun with a LSR, but with the bonus NYD Parkrun on Weds, if I'd stuck to schedule, I would have three consecutive speed sessions. So the schedule this week has been shuffled a bit to accommodate: I think I've kept a reasonable balance of mileage and speed work.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

The phone is in rice.  Between you two, cougie and Jason, you've left us with no idea what the outcome will be.

Lou - the only other race I've entered is the heartbreak half on Feb 23.  There is controversy over whether it's actually a half marathon or 14 miles. I'd like to run a 10K at the end of January too but not sure where.  Dithering about Richmond 13.1 (another half) on 23 March - is 3 weeks to marathon too close?

I got round parkrun yesterday in 19:5x which is close to PB for me. Excuses not to race it seemed feeble after friend showed up with what I thought was egg on his face but explained he had in fact thrown up on the way there.  I thought I wasn't racing flat out but discovered I was nearer my limit than I thought when I started sprinting for the line too early.  Embarrassing. No time to stretch afterwards as was whisked off to be fed by a variety of mothers, but my legs seem OK this morning and I am looking forward to a long slow trundle round the park.

• Options

The 'apple geeks' in lakeside laughed at me when I took mine in afterwards. 

well done on the nearly P.B attempt image I've never run a fast 5k as I work every damn Saturday on the calendar image

in my last 10k, I did cross 5k nearer 18/19 so it does look promising if I ever do one.

XC soon in this quite pleasant weather, should be a good one.

update soon with results

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Oops got home and realised today was meant to be 18 not 16 miles. Doomed.
  • Options
    We'll done on the parkrun - shows you are in good shape.

I'd not race a half three weeks away from a marathon. You should be tapering then.

Our soggy iPhone is still going strong ! Fingers crossed !
  • Options

I would have preferred a Feb half, but couldn't find anything suitable so I went with Droitwich on 2nd March.

I think Mrs D has successfully rescued a phone by leaving it in rice for a couple of days. The rice didn't taste too bad either.

16 miles done and gels tested. Gels were quite tasty and easy to get down. The running felt very comfortable until miles 12 to 14 which where a steady climb out of the valley. Felt very tired, not just in my legs but a general tiredness and quite cold. Once the road levelled out I was able to pick up the pace and the last couple of miles felt fine.

Average pace of 8:20, which is reasonable, but I think next time set off a bit slower and hopefully be a bit more consistent.

• Options

Gt Bentley have a half marathon in feb. I'm doing that one. 

XC done and dusted 30th position overall. Absolute monster of a race, felt surprisingly strong throughout and kept in a tight pack for the most then slowly crept past them at the end. 

Lou diamonds what marathon are you running? 16 miles sounds pleasant this morning. Testing gels is always a risk. I tried my last marathon on just jelly babies......failed that one.......painfully.

• Options
    Well done with the xc Jason

Rather jealous that I wasn't racing this weekend - perfect conditions for a mudbath.

I'm doing Brighton on 6 mar.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Jason, what made it so monstrous?

Lou, 6 March is soon! Exciting!

Sorry for scant reports over the weekend.  One excuse is that instinctively I feel embarrassed about this whole thing and worry about wasting everyone's time by rambling on. But it's time to get over that.  After all, dear reader, if you don't like people rambling on about running, why are you browsing this forum?  Off to stir something - back to ramble in just a tic..

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

So, parkrun.  Lots of friendly faces and banter plus rain and wind, with headwind down the more exposed side of the course.  I hoped for a big lad to tuck in and shelter behind but everyone was either too small, too slow, or too fast.  Damn them!  There were a few dogs to jump over too and hapless lads sorting out footy kit in the middle of the path.

I could hardly feel my legs but they seemed to keep whirring around OK. I think I've had this feeling before when fit but tired and trying to run fast.

Club long run Sunday - I turned up late so ran a quick km to catch up the rear guard, jogged/chatted for a while, then ran ahead to meet the next group, etc.  Then I stopped to go to the loo and started the process again.  We hung around waiting to meet more people for lap 2 and I got cold and hungry - next time I'll just keep going. Later I heard an elephant chasing me but what eventually hove into view was a tall narrow lycra man with headphones in.  I wanted to test my theory that he would not make such a racket with his tootsies if he could hear them, so I tapped him on the shoulder, he took out his headphones, and we had a chat. It turned out we did not have a language in common so that was awkward and I forgot to keep listening to his feet.  The end. Avg pace was about 7:55/mile.  Went home, ate cereal (as usual I had only coffee before the run and nothing during), showered and passed out for a stonking two-hour nap.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

This week P&D prescribe similar miles to last week, but some of them faster.  Also, back to work means back to the bicycle commute.

Mon: rest

Tue: 9 miles with 5 at 15K-HM pace

Wed: 14 miles

Thu: 5 miles recovery run

Fri: 12 miles

Sat: 5 mile recovery run

Sun: 18 miles with 10 at marathon pace (help!)

Tuesday's 9 with 5 will probably be replaced by fartlek: I will do it as a run home from work and 5 continuous fast miles is impossible since I have to stop to cross roads.  OK?

Next week looks easier so it's OK if this one tires me.. yes?

• Options

my week is very similar..the hardest one I've had to do. Although i'm on a lighter plan, so only the 5 runs for me this week.

• Options

marrows- the damn hills, the damn mud (over ankle deep in some parts) oh and did I mention the hills image

On a lighter note I did really enjoy it and got best result so far this season so I'm chuffed with that. Finally feel fit again after having a nasty cold spell over Xmas.

6x800 tonight down the track, off 90s recovery (stop). This is always going to be difficult as it's a day after the race and other times it's after a LSR......but

2:55 average for most, with one (that I paced image) came out at 2:50 image Absolutely busted at the end but I as expecting that. 

Easy miles 2moro for sure.

that P&D plan looks mental and would make me cry doing that many Miles. Also don't worry about posting too much it's nice.

• Options

"Excuse me sir, I can't help but notice that your feet are making an awful racket." It's a novel icebreaker I suppose - keep em coming Marrows.

Nice interval session Ja5e..A bit quicker than I tend to do my 800s, but it easier on the track isn't it.image

I've got tempo tonight with the club. Usually I would do 5 at HMP, but I'm tempted to try to do it in accordance with the Hal Higdon definition of a tempo (I am following his plan after all) which is sort of a pyramid session, steadily building up the pace and peaking with a mile or so at threshold then gradually slowing down again.  On paper, this sounds significantly easier than a standard tempo run.

Legs are still a bit tired from the 16 on sunday, despite a rest day yesterday, so this could decide it for me.

• Options
    Hell of a program for this week. Its tiring me out just looking at it !image

Nice work on communicating with the elephant foot man. image

Do you bike commute every week day ?
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    Hell of a program for this week. Its tiring me out just looking at it !image

It's making me nervous.  We both have about the same target, but Marrows seems to be doing substantially more mileage.  And 18 with 10 at MP!!!! eek!