RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• That is far more than any week I've done for marathon training - but I do cross train with the cycling too.

I think the most important thing is to listen to the body - training really takes it out of you - and you don't want to start the big day over trained.

If Marrows can cope with the plan - then sub 3.30 will be completely smashed.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

yes Lou the runner-to-runner chat-up possibilities are endless. 'Would you like to see the place where my toenail was?' ... 'Have you thought about losing some weight? Or at least breast reduction?'....  'Guess what's in my rear zip pocket today!'  It's almost a pity I don't need to deploy these - especially now New Year resolutions/start of spring marathon training schedules has brought this glorious new crop of joggers out to the streets of London.  Maybe I should try a few anyway, just to keep my hand in

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

It's the Tuesday night 9 with 5/ Wednesday morning 14 that I fear the most this week (can't see how else to schedule things) - no chance to stuff face properly in between.

My plan B if I can't take the running mileage is to cycle more.  Yes cougie I ride to and from work every weekday unless it's icy or I'm running or I've run home the night before and left my bike at work.

• Ahh yes the January joggers are back image

marrows- that doesn't appeal to me at all that close together, make sure you recover properly in between. 

On the toe nail thing (sorry if your eating you tea) but I've never experienced this, isn't this a bad thing? ill fitting shoes etc?? 

4:04 easy tonight for me, 8m/m average, middle 1 came out at 7:52 image But managed to reign it in a bit For the last 2.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

No, Jason, it is the ideal injury: looks badass mingin but without pain or functional consequence.

• Bones heal, pain is temporary, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Exactly.

Yesterday's 9 miles with 5 quick was OK because I cheated by fragmenting the 5 (had to stop and cross roads).  Quick bits hovered around 6:35/mile and it felt fine.  I tried out my less loved shoes which have 'I'M WINNING' and 'U R LOSING' printed on the soles.  Lots more runners out and about than usual, but thankfully none wanting to race.

Long slow Wednesday bit me on the ass again - this time before breakfast.  I realised I was trundling along at 9:30/mile and was not going to have time for the full 14 miles so made do with 13.  I did not feel remotely inclined to speed up so I hope these long Wednesday runs are just about time on the feet!

• Good work there - its a tough old week this week so a few miles less certainly wont do you any harm.

13 before brekky is certainly impressive on a work day.
  • Good going marrows. i wouldn't grumble at a mid week 13. Love the shoes. image

I had an eventful night at a club session. It was the 'timed lap' tonight, it's a local route that starts in the middle of the town. 2.4m in total. 

PB stands at 13:44 so I knew I wasn't no where near that. 1st mile came out at 6:14 and I just lost it after that. Legs heavy etc etc 

Sundays XC plus Monday track just took it out of me. rest day 2moro for sure.

5.2m for the night inc WU & CD so I guess you could call it a progression session OR tempo image 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Never mind Jason, those are the ones that make you stronger!

I decided to swap the Thursday recovery run and Friday 11 miler again this week.  Felt nice and comfortable around 7:40 min/mile (bit quick because I under-dressed and needed to keep warm!).  I cannot believe these are the same legs as yesterday.

Suddenly it's all go at work so it's good to have you keeping tabs on me or I might let the marathon training slide!

• 5x800m for me round a very wet and soggy playing field target was 3:10, but I was never going to manage that in those conditions.

Splits were 3.12, 3.15, 3.17, 3.18, 3.19

Doesn't look good, but it felt like a worthwhile session.

• marrows wrote (see)

Sorry for scant reports over the weekend.  One excuse is that instinctively I feel embarrassed about this whole thing and worry about wasting everyone's time by rambling on. But it's time to get over that.  After all, dear reader, if you don't like people rambling on about running, why are you browsing this forum?  Off to stir something - back to ramble in just a tic..

Just spied this - I've been feeling rather the same... but trying to put it out of mind and waffle on anyway. I keep reminding myself that I'm actually incredibly nosey and love reading intricate details of other people's training (and life) so there must be others out there who do too! image

• PeteHew wrote (see)

Can you tell that I've got a big pile of ironing to do?

Dr Daffs wrote (see)
    marrows wrote (see)

Sorry for scant reports over the weekend.  One excuse is that instinctively I feel embarrassed about this whole thing and worry about wasting everyone's time by rambling on. But it's time to get over that.  After all, dear reader, if you don't like people rambling on about running, why are you browsing this forum?  Off to stir something - back to ramble in just a tic..

Just spied this - I've been feeling rather the same... but trying to put it out of mind and waffle on anyway. I keep reminding myself that I'm actually incredibly nosey and love reading intricate details of other people's training (and life) so there must be others out there who do too! image

Would it help if I started posting details of my toilet habits?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Oh yes please. Then I'll show you all my customised underwear.

6mi very gentle jog this morning. Peanut butter supply critically low.
  • Good work.

Running a gentle 5 miles tomorrow and then a tough 18 on Sunday ?

You'd best go get more peanut butter and milkshake tonight.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yes cougie that's the plan - easy 5 Saturday and hard 18 on Sunday.  And yes sir I have milkshake. My shoulders felt unusually tired when I started running on Wednesday morning and after a while of puzzlement I realised it was from running my last mile on Tuesday night clutching a litre bottle of the stuff.

In Sports Direct they sell 250g weights! I mean weights for training, to make you stronger! Who are these puny customers and how are they supposed to make it up to the 1st floor to buy their teeny tiny weights?

• This week is a cut back week for me, so only 12 on Sunday, but I do have the pleasure of 7 at MP tomorrow.

Today's session was an easy 3 recovery run. Wasn't really in the mood so I ran it a bit quicker than I should have. Splits 7:54, 8:22, 8:35, 8;07. Total 3.7 miles at an average 8:16.

In the past when followed a schedule ive just skipped these runs. This time I'm determined to do them, but I must try harder to slow them down.
  • 2 days rest (un-intended) last night was just mental. getting hair cut then getting home late made it impossible (feable excuse i know!) to run. Was meant to be easy/steady 5 

Doing that instead (ohnest....) tonight image

just makes the LSR tomorrow seem daunting-16 planned but can cut off after 10. Determined to do it all though. 

That would bring the mileage for the week up to 34! havent done that sort of mileage for weeks/months.

lou Diamonds- im a bit like that with this up and coming marathon. Every session (this time round)

Especially as Marrows appears to be kicking this 3:30 target in the face!!

Oh and marrows- pictures please!?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Jason - that had better be a good hair cut.  As for pictures, I'm waiting for Lou to meet his end of the bargain first and tell us his hilarious story about the time he went to the toilet.  And for you to show us yer tats.

Pleasant slow 5 miles at dusk today, with some puddle-jumping.  We decided not to wear the matching his & hers MATLAB T-shirts this time.

I have a well-matched training buddy for tomorrow's 18 miler so it should be good fun.

• I know, I know... But it was the last thing on my mind at that time of the night. I'm on an iPad so getting my arm on here is tricky, will definitely post a pic when I get to a p.c though.

Easy/steady 6 for me tonight. Got really competitive with another runner in between miles for some strange reason. He must of thought 'who's that nutter' as I went bursting past. Don't know why I did it, just seemed right at the time image

16 2moro morning starting at 8:30. first LSR for a while so will be testing gel/s to see if I can stomach it. Tried the last marathon (mablethorpe) with just jelly babies.....never again.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Happy long run day, everyone.  I write to you with feet and ankles in a bucket of very cold water, trying not to scream.

I'm all in favour of chasing down strangers  Jason image

The logistics didn't work out so I ended up doing most of my long run alone today, except when I got tangled up in a 10K race.  Still, I enjoyed it.

The plan was 8 miles slow and then 10 at target marathon pace.  I did
    - 7.5 miles slow at 8:30 min/mile - didn't feel all that easy, just plodding
    - little break to chat and have a gel and some water (mostly to see if my tum would take it)
    - 1 mile to wind up the pace
    - 10 miles hard, or rather 9.6 before coming to an abrupt halt with stitch.  Little hills made the pace variable but it averaged about 7:10/mile (=3:10ish marathon)
    - jog home which made it up to 20 miles

So, I didn't manage the full 10 miles but still I'm happy with that run.  For the quicker section I was breathing hard with heart rate up around 170 BPM but after 9 miles like that, I didn't feel any worse than when I started, and legs still felt good. Only problem was the stitch.

Spotted today in Richmond Park: a man on roller skis, coming up Ballet School hill, dragging a trailer with TWO babies in it.  I hope he understood my muttered 'bloody hell' as I passed was meant to be encouraging.

I was told I smelled really bad when I got home so drank my milkshake sitting outside the kitchen door.

'Recovery' week next week - still 55 miles but all of them slow apart from some strides.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Next week's plan:

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 8M with 10x100m strides
    Wednesday: 12M
    Thursday: recovery 5M
    Friday: 10M
    Saturday: recovery 5M
    Sunday: 15M (but may run a bit further cos 10K race the following weekend will displace a 21 miler)

All but the strides is at least 10% slower than marathon pace.

• Hi marrows, I'll have to keep an eye out for you in Richmond Park, or at least those legs image

• Good going marrows. 

16 for me this morning went un-eventful. Actually came out at 15.6 which is making my OCD go nuts right now image. 8:02 average which is pretty impressive as at points it was slippery from black ice. Last 2 miles were 7:30/5 so that brought the average down nicely. 

35 for the week.

• Marrows a good MP run today, I did the same run last week and it was tough, enjoy the cut back week, the following week is a good bit longer 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Marrows - great to see you doing so well!

Can't believe you still have 55 miles in a cut back week, that's more than the highest mileage week in my plan! image 

10 miles at 7:10 at the end of an 18 miler is amazing, particularly at this early stage in training. You must be really pleased with how things are going.

• How are you feeling after your mega week Marrows ?
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Rachel - I look forward to meeting you but how is it going to work - 'hello, you have big legs, are you marrows?'

Careful on the ice Jason!

Stewart - thanks and yes I did notice that the week after this cut-back week looks tough! How is your training going?

Malcs - thank you.  Yes i am pleased with how this is going. i think this is the fittest I've ever been and I don't know where it has come from.  I had a bad patch in spring 2013, getting slower and slower, eventually went to GP and found i was anemic.  The pleasant surprise was that after a few months on iron supplements I bounced back to about 10% faster than I ever used to be - and I know I wasn't always anemic cos I've been allowed to give blood.  (Scotch Egg if you're reading this, take heart!).  There's been a problem with peanut butter though: I completely ran out by Friday and have now had to move back in with my parents for a bit. They have a full jar (not for long)

Cougie - feeling good. I did a few things to make last week easier:
    -splitting Tuesday's tempo run into an interval session
    -taking the Wednesday long run very slow
    -swapping days so I had 2 recovery days before Sunday's long run
    -eating lots on Friday
    Generally I felt most fatigued when running slowly.. that grueling plod feeling..  Still it's the biggest week of training I've ever done so I'll be taking it much easier this week!  goals for this week are to get under 60kg and remember to stretch every day

• marrows image nope, I'll just run round with a sign saying 'stop me if you're marrows' 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

But Rachel, then everyone will know it's you, and therefore that you are not wearing any knickers