Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 4

Comments

• Options

Saren, I've just signed up to my first HIM and am terrified, major respect for your race plans.  I know what you mean about it all being in the mind, up until this year I just to really feel the pressure but then managed to shake it off (it took 5 years of running!) and am much faster and more confident in racing as a result. let's hope that extends to the HIM. I think once I survive the swim I'll be confident I can finish.

• Options

Matt, well done with the tempo run, personally I wouldn't be looking to get near maxHR on a tempo, sounds more like a VO2Max workout,

Emmy, Ive got a 10 mile GA run tonight and a recovery run tomorrow before my LSR on Sunday, which will only be 15 miles, the good news is that it is all at an easy pace, so that will be around the 10mm mark or less.  I'm still undecided on the route for Sunday, but an incline or two might not be out of the question image

Ruffles, when is your HIM?

Lee, Are you getting out for a run today?

• Options

The HIM is at the end of August, so plenty of time to get more swim/bike training once the marathon is out the way.  Am just trying to keep those 2 other disciplines ticking over in the meantime.

• Options

Sounds like a plan, so do you just bike and swim on recovery/rest days whilst marathon training?

• Options

Stewart/Emmy, I think that run was probably about right in that case, that was the sort of 'feel' I was aiming for.

I have taken the day off next Friday so that I can do my long run (20m +) in daylight (one of two for practice with start times, prep, food etc). This means I can use some routes which are flat, but not necessarily dark friendly if you know what I mean.

Stewart, Whats a GA run? It sounds like you have to actively avoid hills in your neck of the woods.

Ruffles, Which HIM are you doing? At least in August the water should be warm!

• Options

Matt, GA - General Aerobic, it is a P&D term for an easy to steady paced run, and you're right it is kind of hard to avoid the hills, although it is possible to run a flat 20 if you keep to the riverside, canal and the industrial estate, so at least 3 of the 20's will be in that neck of the woods.

• Options

Well its a week off running for me. Got two miles into an easy run and felt my ankle going sore and start tightening up.

Plenty of stretching next week and a bit of swimming and using the exercise bike in the gym to keep me ticking over.

Gonna ditch the plan for P&D as well and just go with the Higdon novice 2 plan all the way through but might try and get some MP stuff in every other long run. I've clearly been too ambitious.

Sub 4 is probably beyond me but I think I will keep my training paces the same and just see what happens.

• Options

I'm definitely pretty wasted after a tempo run

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Happy weekend all!

Lee - please let us know how your LSR goes this weekend.

Clean shoes - see how you get on. My sub 4 was from training for 4.10!

Stewart - good job on your run! What's your run this weekend?

I'll be in Germany this weekend so only on my phone. I'll be checking back in and wanting to near how the runs have gone and also any issues youve had. ll

!

• Options

Matt, hope the ankle niggle gets better soon, and you have a better experience with the Hal higdon plan, right now MP and tempo are feeling too hard for me but once the adaptions take place they will feel more natural

Weedy, I also feel a little fatigued after a LT run, and I think that is ok and as long as it doesn't effect the other sessions in the schedule.

Emmy, two more runs to do this weekend a recovery run today and my long run tomorrow, all at an easy pace.  

Last nights run went well it felt very easy average HR was 73%.  It did get a little slippy underfoot in places but overall the conditions were perfect.

• Options

Sorry for the lack of responses. Thursday I was in a sales QBR from early until late. I did walk to and from the station as well as walked from Moorgate tube to London Bridge station. I wanted to do something.

No run Friday as it's supposed to be rest before Saturday's LSR. I wouldn't have been able to anyway as I had to go to Huntingdon for a meeting and so didn't get back until late.

This morning I woke at 7am and had a bowel of Porridge with Honey and a Banana plus a cup of tea.

8:30am - the 16 miles LSR

Managed fairly consistant pace (purposely sped up the last mile). I took two of the IsoGels and it seemed to help. The mile after I took them was quicker. Legs felt tired in the last three miles and just afterwards but writing this now they really don't feel too bad.

The worst part? I expected chaffing between my thighs (which I got) but I didn't expect chaffing between my buttocks! That's a first!

Next week is going to be a very tough week to get runs in. Monday should be ok but Tuesday is not. It's my wifes' 40th (evening meal) and I am in the office all day. Wednesday should be ok as should Thursday. I should be able to do an Easy 5 on Friday too but Saturday is out as we are having a long weekend away in Brighton to celebrate.

Plan should be -

Monday - Easy 5

Tuesday - Easy 8

Wednesday - Tempo 5

Saturday - Long 13

• Options

Lee well done with the LSR ouch to the chaffing

5 miles easy this afternoon in the sleet, I should have gone out this Morning when the sun was shining average pace was 10:14mm for a 72% HR 

Looking forward to the 15 LR tomorrow

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee. Well done on the LSR and Stewart as well. I'm back in Belgium this afternoon so will reply then. Currently preparing for a good bol' German breakfast!

• Options

Lee, Bodyglide is always recommended in triathlon circles for chafing issues. Once it's happened I swear by sudocrem, overnight works well.

Matt 

• Options

Emmy, hope the breakfast went down well image

Matt, good advice re chaffing,

15 mile MLR today, cold and a little slippy in places, I found myself counting down the miles from the start which made it all a bit of a slog, rest day tomorrow and I might just do nothing after work I'll see how I feel.

HR monitor went funky after 10 miles, 15m @10:20mm

Weekly 55.6m, 9.3Hrs, 10:19mm, 75%

• Options

Ouch to the chafing +1 for Sudocrem.

Re: eating during long runs - I am going EXTREMELY slowly- about 9.1-9.3 kph ( sorry, I've never converted away from kph, because I started out as a tready runner). I tend to walk/ run- so once my virtual partner is telling me I'm about 30 sec ahead of it, I stop to walk and eat, this is usually every 3-5 km, and is perfect for half a "chunk" of the squares of flapjack they sell at the petrol station, or a percy piglet sweet.

This is basically my ultra nutrition stategy, ( although on an ultra I start drinking chocolate milk and eating pringles too!).

For running a marathon at race pace, I can't manage to eat "proper" food, and so on race day it will be shotblocks, water, and 50:50 diluted lucozade- I have had enough practice with that mix that I know it will work best on the day.

• Options

Another +1 on the body glide, I've also got some Sport Luub recently which is even better, for all you multi sport fans there's a wet suit Luub too which is excellent. That said, I ran my longest ever run yesterday and now have a slightly chafed arse, which tells me some weight loss is in order!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK... Attempt #3 to post here *angry face*

Lee -it wont let me quote the message so here we go.

Nutrition: Well done on eating. How did you feel? any issues with having brekkie and then running?

Pace: Super duper!! image Well done on slowing down and keeping a good average pace. How do you feel after?

Next weeK: can you move the schedule around and do your 8 miles wed, 5 tempo thursday and either 13 on friday or 10 on friday? then you can have the weekend off for Brighton. What do you think?

I also agree with Sudocream for chaff and to prevent it - check your clothing firstly and see if its fitting correctly and then liberally apply bodyglide/vaseline.

Stewart: well done on the 15miles. If your plan says rest tomorrow - then REST. Make sure that for tonight your sleeping and eating well and drinking enough water.

Tricialitt - good going! I find that i cant take on solid food as it always comes back up image Its good that it works for you

• Options

Hey Emmy

The only reason I don't usually have breakfast before my Saturday long runs is because my wife wants me back asap to spend the weekend with the family. Normally I would have it. No issues with having breakfast.

Today my legs feel great. I could easily have gone out for a recovery run if I had needed to. 

With regards the clothing, it was more the fact that my only proper running shorts rode up. I'll be buying some different ones else running with separate under garments rather than sewn in.

My week has already changed. Tuesday I am now around and not in the office, so could probably do the Tempo then and the 8 mile on Wednesday. The best I will able to do on Friday is a 5 miler as I have asked nicely to squeeze in a run before we go off to Brighton. When I have time to really look at the diary I will see what is possible. 4 runs is still looking good but the longest run is going to be the tricky one. I will most likely try and extend the 8 mile to 10 (not sure at the moment if I can go longer).

I had never even heard of sudocream before we had kids. What a lifesaver. It's like a miracle cream. Now just to remember bodyglide or vaseline before the long runs.

• Options

and buy some more shorts image

another week starts....going well i see,,,,I finished my week with the muddiest cross country race I have done.....you can tell the faster runners though as the mud gets plastered more up their backs than the slower ones image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Lee,

I'd ask a little break from your wife as you'll need a little bit of time to get yourself prepared and as long runs progress you'll be out there for longer. Maybe make a suggestion of giving her some time off saturday night? or sunday?

If you can - push the 8 to a 10 and maybe fit in a tempo 4-5 miler if you have time at another time? I understand that this week may be difficult but if possible - squeeze in. If not, then we'll pick it up next week.

RE: Shorts - Try a few different kinds as they all have slightly different fits.

Seren - well done on the cross country! Sounds like a great way to spend a morning!

• Options

Training-wise this was a really good weekend. The long run on Friday was 24.4 Km with 286m of elevation (15miles plus a little change) in 2:37 (10:21 mm, MP +72). It was a step change from the previous week, two miles further, faster by 19 seconds per mile and average HR 9 bpm lower. Win, win, win.

Then add in an upper body workout throwing my daughter around at waterbabies (5 metres was my distance record) and some speedwork on the treadmill Sunday evening,

Lee, I had exactly the same problem with lined shorts, they fitted great on the start line but within half a mile they were bunched up in a very nasty way! At the minute I am using Decathlon's cheapest tight lycra shorts as a base with some old football shorts for retaining an ounce of dignity. That combination is working really well.

This subject has sort of come up in a number of the recent posts, I am looking for some recommendations for solid food, or certainly 'more' solid than gels and water. Energy-wise gels really work for me, but I don't like the 'hollow' feeling in my stomach after a couple of hours. Does anyone have any favourites that I can try on a long run?

Matt

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Overthinking - that's a great mileage! and well done on the upper body workout! I think having kids is a workout in itself as you're always running around. I know friends that do weight training by lifting their kids in the air!

I have a few ideas for you to try if you're looking for some solid food.

Muesli bars: http://www.fitnaturally.co.uk/recipes/fit-flaps

If you're not looking to make your own try GetBuzzing bars. They are all natural products and give you a nice boost.

A friend of mine swears by jam sandwiches but i cant stomach bread when i run. If you like something small and bitesize give: fruit pastelles, midget gems, jelly babies a shot. I normally put a few in my cheek and let it dissolve.

• Options

Lee, I've also started to wear a lycra base under my shorts, and it has helped picked up a pair for under a tenner in sports direct.

Seren, well done with the xc sounds like fun

Matt, looks like we would be good running buddies my pace on my long run was pretty much the same as yours image

Emmy, I'm feeling a lot more refreshed today, just as well as I may have to juggle this week around as I need to take my son for a MRI scan on Wednesday evening at 7, which throws a spanner in the works. the planned week was

M - Rest
    T - 11m inc JS
    W - 10 with 5 @ LT
    T - 5 Recovery
    F - 12 - 14 MLR
    S - 5 Recovery
    S - 20+

Saturday is meant to be a 7m GA run but I wanted to keep the run easy before my first 20 of the campaign, with Tuesday and Thursday both JS night I can't do the LT run there any thoughts how I could juggle the runs with Wednesday possibly being my rest day?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hey Stewart,

Can you maybe clarify it for me? You say that you cant do the LT on Tuesday but this is just 11m - rather than being a certain #of miles at lactate.

Could you giggle it to take a faster group for JS and then run there and back with the other miles at a slower pace? What sort of mileage would you be doing for JS on thursdays? it's normally 8-10 miles?

I'd be inclined to look at the previous week's schedule and next weeks schedule and try and blend it so it'd look something like:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: x miles with x at threshold with JS
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 12-14 MLR (with JS)
    Friday: 10miles with 5 at LT
    Saturday: 5 recovery
    Sunday: 20+

Does that make sense? I'd also be cautious if you're feeling tired or feeling any strains.

• Options

Emmy, I was considering going for a run tonight but I think a rest day is required.

I've been thinking about it I might either do a shorter recovery run (30 -40 mins) straight after work on the Wednesday or after the hospital appointment, I'll keep the LT run on Friday as suggested, what do you think to the following

M - Rest
    T - 12 miles MLR inc JS
    W - 3 - 4 miles (after hospital appointment)
    T - 11 miles MLR inc JS
    F - 10 miles with 5 @ LT
    S - 5 miles recovery
    S - 20+

• Options

Easy 5 Miles done. Had to really squeeze this one in before heading off for a meeting. That may explain why the pacing wasn't perfect. I did have a plan B for today. Plan B is running on a treadmill. We have one at home but I hate running on it. I find it so much harder to run on even at a slower pace.

RE Breakfast - I should have added that I spoke to my wife last week about having breakfast before I run. She accepted that I need it for the long runs hence why I had breakfast the moment I woke at 7am.

My updated plan for this week should see me tempo 5 tomorrow and then do 8/10 miles easy on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday morning I will squeeze in another Tempo 5.

• Options

Lee, well done with the 5 mile run earlier, as you've said it was a little pacy in places, enjoy the tempo run tomorrow image

• Options

i can recommend Emmy's fit flaps recipe, but a word of warning. When I first made them I used jumbo oats rather than ordinary oats and they fell apart - however, I used them as granola/topping for yoghurt instead and they tasted great.