Options

RW Forum 5 - sub 4.30

Comments

• Options

Seren - I was worried about the mileage, which I why I did the 7 weeks build up first and have no issues dropping it down if needed. So far, so good! The only niggles I currently have are sofa related..plus I think my trainers needs to TLC after the soaking they got today.

Angela - agree with you that my HM time is not currently the best predictor, as I am still on the 'new' improvement curve. The proof will be at Silverstone though I guess. If that does not work, I'll adjust my expectations!

• Options

Very good point Rachel, with marathon so early this spring, you probably need to start thinking about the trainers you will do the race in.  I already have a pair that I've only worn on one run, and will probably start bringing into play late february, and alternating them so they have about 50-70 miles on them before I do the marathon.  The ones I have now are already telling me they are nearly ready to be changed as I'm starting to get some lower leg niggles, so do think about your trainers now, you might be able to pick out a pair in the jan sale before they release the new versions.  Sportshoes.com is very good for sale image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

yes, good point re trainers, I always like to have 2 pairs on the go, one wearing in one wearing out! I always buy online in sale when new versions come out, which will be due soon image

It will be my first London Rachel , but I have run 3 marathons in the last 3 years. They do seem to get a bit addictive. I actually really like the routine and discipline of the training.

• Options

I've got 3 pairs on the go....I have pair 1, which has done about 380miles, tend to use only for short, easy runs now. Pair 2 about 250 miles (the one that got soaked today) and pair 3 about 100miles.  They're all Brooks Adrenaline GTS, pair 1 is 2012, 2/3 are this years.  I will probably get another pair shortly, which will give me a choice of which to use!

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

image same make as me Rachel! I had a lovely pair of purple ones this year!

• Options

I'm off to buy new trainers next week. Mine are knackered and I've never been 100% happy with them anyway

Angela, you could do someone a mischief with the Outlaw medal!

• Options

Was wondering about trainers myself as mine will be due for a swap not long before Edinburgh so was thinking of getting some early to wear in a bit.  Is it usual to just get more of the same or do people mix and match makes etc?  Feels like a slightly random question but if you dont ask......

• Options

Usual to stick to the same sub60 but beware of new version with each new season - I had to switch from asics to nikes a couple years ago because a new version of kayanos had too much structure in the sole and started to give me shin splints...

some people would have diff shoes for other things for example I have a pair of Adidas boost which I use for speedwork in summer when i'm racing 5k and 10k more, but wouldn't dream of wearing them for anyyhing longer as not structured enough for me.  TheN there are trail shoes, for trail...of course.  

I do think, especially as a relatively new runner, it's worth goiNg back for a gait analysis from time to time in a shop that stocks all brands, such as sweatshop  because not only do the shoes change a little from season to season, but you change too, and as you become a stronger runner you may find that a different brand of the same type of shoe may suit you better... 

• Options

Thanks Angela.  Bit skeptical of the accuracy of the sweatshop service as the first trainers they put me in were adidas supernova which it turns out were too narrow for my feet and caused me some terrible issues with blisters which I put down to being a new runner but in hindsight I should have questioned the fit more.  Felt like all they wanted to do was push a pair of insoles on me.

Went to a podiatrist who gave me some toe spacers to correct an issue ive had all my life of my little toe curling under and also recommended I needed a larger size shoe.  A small running shop near work had a better selection of shoes and the guy was much more knowledgeable about what brand would suit my foot shape so have my Brooks Ghost 6 which feel so much more comfortable.

The only reason I may look at a different brand is the niggle in my shin as part of me wonders if its the shoes as ive read a number of tales of people having shin problems from new shoes (you included it seems!)

• Options
    Angela I wrote (see)

Picture please!

Will dig it out and post a pic today.  It won't be in the same league as that Texan bling!

I've had a quick look at RW's latest addition, RunHub.  Never used anything like this before, so can someone tell me if all info is public or if you can keep your training log for your eyes only?

• Options

Did my volunteering at Old Deer Park parkrun this morning - horrible weather, only 19 runners!  Ground was saturated and very muddy.   Normally, I'd run back from this, which would have been my planned recovery run.

However, I took stock of what I had done this week and that the Thursday rest day was not really a rest day with the amount of walking I did. So decided that instead of the run in the cold and the rain, a stroll round the shops and then back home would be a better plan - and I'll spend time doing core/abs work later along with a foam roller session.

Shopping was successful, I found a running shop I did not know existed (Sporting Feet) and also picked up a pair of long running trousers in the sale. I definitely needed those as the only long pairs I own are from last winter and are about 4 sizes too big!  

Angela - from what I've read, missing occasional recovery sessions is OK. Do you agree?

• Options

Five miles at gentle 9.4min/mile pace in very cold rain but wind seems to have dropped here a little. Got told off for dripping water on kitchen floor when got back!

• Options

Parkrun this morning was very damp and muddy but felt good all the way round in about 26 minutes.   Core exercises this afternoon to look forward to!

About 90 people out this morning which I was amazed at but seems a few local ones cancelled.

Hid my trainers before girlfriend got to see what I had walked in the house!

• Options

Congratulations on the promotion Rachel, well deserved image

• Options

Hi There Rachel, I think you made the right decision.  Walking around the shops would have given you some of the benefit of a gentle jog, and you did a fair bit of walking at parkrun volunteering I bet.  I ended up pacing someone at our parkrun to within 7s of his pb.  last week his run was 2 minutes slower image  If you are going to miss a run, these are the ones to miss for sure. image

• Options

Rachel I would echo what Angela said and add to that, if you find you are regularly missing recovery runs then you need to look at why and the possibility that you are going too hard in other sessions ...

Sounds like you are being well looked after   image

• Options

Meldy... Do u reckon its worth doing thru the faff of a new thread so that Rachel's name is on the title? image

• Options

Good idea, it's confusing at best.

*re-lurks*

• Options

image De lurk mr p!!! We need somewhere to compare our parkrun times! 

• Options

I haven't done one for ages...I'll try on Saturday, it will be interesting to see where I am.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Angela - I'd been thinking the same re: the thread. 

• Options

Right now I'm thinking 'what was Minni doing up at 4am?!?'

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Angela I wrote (see)

Right now I'm thinking 'what was Minni doing up at 4am?!?'

.. let alone the January, sober Minni..

Rachel you are a star for parkrun volunteering in that minging weather! Did you see anyone fall on their arse? ODP is a proper mud bath at this time of year

• Options

It's very strange isn't in Marrows, I suspect she was getting ready for one of her rugged 20 milers before another storm hits- you should all move to Essex, it's bright and sunny here image

• Options

Mr P, I actually don't race parkrun during marathon training as I dont like the risk associated with that speed on a hilly course on tired muscles, so will be using it as part of my tempo runs.... Therefore you will always beat me, perhaps we should arrange a showdown toward the end of April?

• Options

Meldy - I don't normally miss recovery runs, but it was a combination of a heavier week than planned, logistics of running when done up in lots of rain gear, need to get shopping etc etc. and definitely didn't want to run in the rain. I shall do my best not to do it more often!

marrows - thanks, There were just the 3 of us, but then again, only the 19 runners, And no-one fell that I saw, every one was careful. Times were slow..they ranged from 21 to 38mins.  Extremely muddy!

Today, 15m steady run, heading to Richmond Park. Once breakfast has gone down image

• Options

Once Edinburgh is out of the way im fancying some full on parkrun tourism.  Only done my local about 20 times and one other so far but figure it will be nice to see some different ones.  Extremely muddy sounds good!   

7 miles slow for me today if i can get out of bed....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Right well Angela, why was I up at that time? You'll love this...

I often dont sleep well the night after a long run. Yesterday I did 20 with the first 10 @ easy pace and the second 10 @ steady pace.   I don't think I ever replace the calories after runs like that and it makes me restless and slightly queasy in the night.  I struggle to eat a lot but graze and before I went to bed I had a large glass of fresh orange and some crackers and cheese.

(I felt a bit sick before I started my run from eating too many nuts on Friday night. I love nuts but they don't like me, if I eat too many.  I knew I wouldn't be sick so wasn't worried about the run)

Any ideas how I can tackle this? 

• Options

You're doing 20milers already?!

I'm interested in any thoughts on this too- I also didn't sleep well last night after 13miles yesterday despite electrolytes, bubble bath, foam rollering, compression gear and stuffing my face with chicken and bread all afternoon and a good (balanced) meal in evening. Oh and chocolate....

Dehydration?