Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Options

Daffs, if you have a smart phone you can download all sorts of apps that will give you a reasonable if not terribly accurate indication of your speed and distance. Endomondo is one that my son uses. Sport Tracker is another. 

• Options

Ah, brill,thanks Dragon! Have just downloaded Runkeeper, will see how I get on...

• Options

Well that was fun!! imageimage

6.96 miles in 1.30.38, and because i used runkeeper i can tell you mile splits...

mile 1 - 12.47

mile 2 - 11.50

mile 3 - 12.10

mile 4 - 11.42

mile 5 - 16.00

mile 6 - 15.18

mile 7 - 13.22

can you tell where the giant hill was?! image

felt great other than being absolutely starving from about mile 3...

• Options

And ican only apologise for the stupid formatting when i post from my phone, can't do anything about it I'm afraid!

• Options

I know..... it's at mile 5!image Go Doc, good for you! keep it up!image

Happy new year!

• Options

Well done Daffs! I think Rich may be right about it being mile 5!

Thanks for your input Kaz about the easy runs. McMillan running seems to have quite a good explanation for it and gives pacing guidelines for your current and goal times so I think I'll have a go at that. Helps that it's what I'm doing pretty much already image I think easy on my plan meant the effort level as they are around 6 miles each time? I may have misunderstood perhaps but it doesn't help that I can't remember where I got it from! I copied and pasted it into a format that I liked so I could print it out and tick things off and write comments!

No daffs you shouldn't aim for long runs just under marathon pace - they should be 30 - 60 seconds slower than your goal marathon pace. Have a look at McMillan running for the paces

• Options

I got a Garmin Forerunner for Christmas and it is the best thing ever as you can simply look down at your pace and see how far you've gone too! It's handy for me as I've had to change my regular routes that I know the mileage of due to flooding/trees down etc! I've also taken it with me on my ski trip image

McMillan running is definitely a good way of getting to know your paces and also predicting your times! 

Has anyone heard of HADD training?? It's a training technique where it basically focuses on building an endurance base and then you work on everything else from there...mostly looks at your HR etc.

I personally can't take the time from my marathon training as I'm already pushed for time but it's definitely something I want to look into afterwards!

• Options
    Dr Daffs wrote (see)

Well that was fun!! imageimage

6.96 miles in 1.30.38, and because i used runkeeper i can tell you mile splits...

mile 1 - 12.47

mile 2 - 11.50

mile 3 - 12.10

mile 4 - 11.42

mile 5 - 16.00

mile 6 - 15.18

mile 7 - 13.22

can you tell where the giant hill was?! image

felt great other than being absolutely starving from about mile 3...

It's like trying to spot the picnic in the marathon splits!

• Options

Ooooo...another sub 5 thread image

• Options

Yep, Paul, there's a few of them about! image Is that what you're aiming for too?

Yo sis image I think the picnic mile in the marathon was the one that took about 25 minutes... image

Thanks for the McMillan stuff folks, will investigate.

Not bought a garmin yet... *sticks fingers in ears and sings la la la la*

• Options

Well, it would be nice, but I have failed so far. I blame my costume image

LOVE my Garmin. I have 5 years of running history to study image

• Options

Nice going Daffs image good start to the year!

For the HR monitor, I always stay with Max HR, not Working HR, its easier to work out, and most of the HR stats from things like HADD use %Max HR. I still do most runs by HR.

Long runs I like to average 70% and easy 75% of MHR which keeps the pace nice and slow, and does a brilliant job of building base which is one of the most useful things you will ever do for endurance work image It usually keeps you injury free the longest too! Mind you, the %'s usually stray for the hills!

Macmillan is a great tool too, last year I struggled to workout what my paces were, as I didnt have a record of races to fall back on, so I worked backwards from my long training run times and set the desired marathon time to 5:00 then read paces that worked with that. After several months I reset it to 4:40 and read paces from that. It worked for me image even if the race did go totally to ratss on the day.

Will be following this thread with interest!

• Options
    Must have a look at Macmillan when I'm home and can get on the laptop
  • Options

I ran my first ever marathon at Portsmouth two weeks ago and clocked a 5hrs 45 minute time ... looking to get that down to sub 5 by winter.  Next Marathon is booked at Scaffell Pike Mountain Marathon, I'm aware tougher trails most often mean slower times ... just trying to get over the WALL that hits at mile 20 :/ serious amounts of good luck although with that determination I highly doubt you'll need luck image

• Options

EllaDuV - anything that has mountain in the name makes me avoid it like the plague image

I'm so tempted to get a Garmin but I would "need" to have the fanciest most expensive one there is just because I'd hate to think I was missing out on a feature! I currently use my iphone and nike running which does the job, gives a map, gps, calories, split times and records all your runs - all I need really I guess.

Went for a run before work this morning. This is a first for me - actually getting out of bed before 6am...ok 6:30.....ok 6:40! Anyway I did a tempo run of 4.41 miles (I was running out of time to get ready for work!) and averaged 10:32pm which is at the slower end of my supposed tempo pace (a hill and wind at the end plus starting off a bit quick!)

• Options

The nice thing about a Garmin is that the information is on your wrist. I have mine set up so that I can monitor distance, average pace, lap pace (miles) and time. That is, the screen is split into 4. I then upload it to SportsTracks software at home and can study the details image

I find running in the morning so much harder, particularly before breakfast. I always wake up ready to eat. But I might need to get some morning runs in.

Cliveden XC on Sunday. Going to be a wet and slippery on. My trail shoes will get their 4th outing. Got them a year ago!

• Options

Paul, have a banana and a cup of coffee before leaving the house on an early run. gives you the boost you need for a few early miles! doesn't help with wiping the sleep out of your eyes! image

• Options

Yeah I see what you mean Paul, I have the phone on my arm and I can see my current pace, time and distance and then afterwards it gives me the split times. Hmm....

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Just popping in to wave a Daffy *waves*

I have never seen you this excited about, or committed to, your running before. The suggestion was that you would be dangerous with training. Now is our chance to find out just how true that is image

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

My garmin tells me it really isn't very far from the fridge to the sofa

Has anyone seen my mojo?

• Options

I have a garmin 910 - it is expensive but brilliant - can be used for swimming and biking too which is brilliant. If it was just for running I would probably want a garmin 620. I log everything in fetcheveryone but also look at the stats on garmin connect

scarfell pike mountain marathon sounds seriously hard!

• Options

I've a garmin 310XT and a 210.  The 310, like the 910, is for swimming and cycling too.  Has a really good battery life too.  The 210 doesn't have a fantastic battery life but doubles as a watch. 

Noticed tonight that Tesco have SIS nutrition products on special if anyone uses them/wants to try them.  TK Maxx also have High 5 stuff in at the mo.

• Options

Bam86 - erm, good point. Not quite sure what I was thinking there. Spose I had forgotton about those newfangled arm straps image I just keep my phone in my jeans pocket!

Rich - I did wonder about eating a banana before going out. Will give it a try. Dont like coffee and by the time I have made and drunk a mug of tea I might as well have had some cereal. But thenI might not be able to run?

• Options

Paul, can you get up a bit earlier to get brekkie in?  I'll get up a couple of hours before I plan to go out, make my brekkie and take it back to bed

• Options

I caught my lazy big sis trying to have a sneaky lie in this morning - so I stole her duvet and jumped on her bed (as best I could from 85 miles away) and she's gone to get a parkrun pb.

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Liking your work Sister of Daffs

mwah ha ha ha (as they say in some parts)

• Options
    Sister of Daffs wrote (see)

I caught my lazy big sis trying to have a sneaky lie in this morning - so I stole her duvet and jumped on her bed (as best I could from 85 miles away) and she's gone to get a parkrun pb.

Big meanie image

It worked though image 30.10 - PB by 12 seconds image

• Options

Well done Daffs image

• Options

Hi Ella image You're brave, doing a mountain marathon! Well done!

Thanks for the HR info Cheesy image Will investigate target paces etc.

Paul, er, what were you dressed as?! I watched someone finish the Yorkshire marathon dressed as a banana, looked very ungainly dangling between his knees image Mind you, he still finished 3 hours quicker than me! image

I did try to get up early today to eat proper brekkie, but, er, I failed image

Exhausted after this morning - that certainly counted more as 'flat out racing' than 'tempo run' - am I right in thinking I shouldn't be doing that every week?!

This coming week looks something like

• Mon - spin class and swim
    • Tues - rest (well, full day at work + 4 hours commuting, if you can call that a rest!)
    • Wed - same as Tues
    • Thurs - 8 miles
    • Fri - rest
    • Sat - parkrun (but more gently, will set HR zone to something-or-other rather than racing)
    • Sun - 2 miles

Will that do boss? image