Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Options
    Lol the apple costume is great - I don't know why I didn't assume it was an apple being the pink lady n all that! D'oh!

Well done soup - sounds like you've made good steady progress image

Daffs - I saw that too! There's lots on nutrition and my initial thought is that I don't eat or drink enough!

Breakfast - out of bed late so had nothing

Had 1 glass of water and 1/2 cup of tea with 2 sugars (I can never finish a cup regardless of size!)

Lunch at 3pm of morrocan chicken and chickpea soup (yummy) and glass of water

Dinner at 7pm - Turkey escalope with a cheesy broccoli pasta (comes in a pack and u add water n milk)

Ten pin bowling in a league for 2hours - 2 glasses of diet coke

Tea number 2 before bed (now!)

Oh dear! Unfortunately this is what it looks like most days!
  • Options

I'm much more inclined in the other direction and would happily graze all day every day...

... might go some way to explaining why i'm not at the *other* pointy end of the field... image

Anyway, if i'm running 8 miles in the morning i'd best go to feckin sleep! (and it'd best stop raining else i'm going to get rather soggy...)

might have a day off the internet tomorrow (shocking, i know, but i do try occasionally!) but will report back soon...

• Options
    Daffs, I don't think that would be a real issue tbh.
  • Options

Grand, thanks image That's probably what I'll do then image

Just done 8 miles imageimageimage Lay in bed trying to will the rain to go away, and it did! image

So... (not that I'm getting excited about being able to do proper stats or anything...)

8.66 miles

1 hr 54.35 image

Mile splits:

1 - 13.59

2 - 13.20

3 - 14.04

4 - 13.06

5 - 11.40

6 - 11.01

7 - 14.05

8 - 14.30

9 - 13.17

This time you get to spot the nice downhill bit in the middle of a big pile of uphill-ness image

Had half a bowl of yogurt/porridge/apple about 45 mins before I went, and half a cup of tea image Worked perfectly, wasn't hungry or sloshing about image Wore my new shoes too imageimage

I'm pretty pleased with that actually - might look slow but it's fairly even and I didn't slow down too much towards the end... Kept heart rate pretty much 60-75% (average 73%, max 84% - probably when I had to run past the builders... image ) so all good!

Worn out now and in need of more tea image

Right - what was I saying about having an internet free day?!

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Well done Daffs image

• Options

Well done Daffs. Good to hear the nutrition and hydration worked well too image

May not be around too much over the next few days as it'll be a bit full-on up at Brathay.  Will try and pop in as much as I can

• Options

Ooh, yes, your training weekend thing image Have fun! 

I'm afraid I wimped out of swimming last night as it appears I have ringworm (and my smileys don't work on this computer but it was going to be an embarrassed one!). No idea whether I'd be infecting everyone, but didn't want to take the risk! 

And then I missed this morning's planned spin session because the gym hasn't renewed my membership and I didn't want to go early enough to argue with them before the class started at 7.15, and I stayed up too late, and, and and... 

Oh dear! 

Still, I'm consoling myself with the thought that I haven't missed a planned run session since the start of October (except when I was actually poorly). And I did run 8 miles yesterday so my poor legs are still recovering image Or something... image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Ooooo... 'highly infectious' ...

• Options

I know - glamour is my middle name... image

Actually I asked in the chemist today and they said I was fine to go swimming! Bit late now mind you... image

Parkrun off tomorrow in favour of delayed Christmas family visiting. I've finally managed to get all the presents (well, minus the ones I opened and ate last week...) into one rucksack for the train trip. That's got to count as weight training, surely?!

• Options

Lying in bed last night i got really annoyed that I was only going to be able to put 2 runs in Jantastic this week when i said I'd do 3... so i dragged myself out of bed for a quick couple of miles before the train image

2.19 miles, 22.17 minutes - 1st mile (downhill) 9.00mm, second (back up) 11.01. super pleased with that, don't think i've ever knowingly done a 9 minute mile before image

might miss the train now mind you...

• Options

Well done Daffs - better run for the train!  

I printed off my parkrun barcode yesterday with ever intention to go and set a baseline 5k time. Had a late night last night and woke up at 9.45. So I'll have to do my own thing. image

• Options

Tee hee soup dragon, i've missed many a parkrun in that fashion!! Next week you'll be there, bright and early i'm sure. Don't want to leave it too long - the slower your baseline time is, the bigger your improvements will be image

• Options
  • Options

image Kaz, think your computer is posting without you image

I've been writing training plans on the train... Thought it might be easiest if I put it in this newfangled RunHub thing so people could see - except now I've done it I have no idea how to tell you where it is... image

Try this...

http://runhub.runnersworld.co.uk/plan/private?id=4307

• Options

Or possibly this

http://runhub.runnersworld.co.uk/plan/index?id=4307

I'm already in week 3 - put the last 2 weeks in as a bit of context!

• Options

I haven't put in any kind of pacing guidelines, partly because I am still mostly running on HR, and partly because I haven't yet figured out what they should be image

Have also only done it up to the Liverpool Half on 23rd March - quite frankly got bored of filling in the little boxes after that image

And I'll be doing another triathlon (just a sprint, and very slowly!) mid May, hence the bits of swimming and cycling...

• Options
    Hi everyone

I haven't looked at the runhub yet, not sure I can be bothered to record things in another place!

I keep meaning to do a park run but can't get out of bed in time! This morning I'm meant to be with my run brighton group running out for 52.5 mins and back again but I don't enjoy it as much as I did the first time around. It used to be miles rather than time - I can see why it's changed as it means everyone gets back around the same time but it also means every run we've done is out and back. I can do out n back on my own! I used to like the learning new routes over the downs and seeing different things but they are sadly no more. Majority have been along the seafront and so it doesn't make sense I get in my car and drive 15-20 mins to a different part of the sea, to pay for my car to be in a car park to run out and back when I can do it from where I live!

Anyway, rant over. Today I will be doing my lsr as was planned by the group but on my own. Should be about 9miles by my calculations (ok nike running!)

This week I've not been very good. Did lsr on tues instead of last sun as I'd been ill and nothing since! Will be good this week image

Mon - core stability class

Tues - 6 miles easy

Weds - ten pin bowling and stretching (yes I count it as xtraining!)

Thurs - 5 miles negative splits

Fri - 5 miles easy

Sat - rest or swimming - or had thought get up for park run but might be too much?

Sun - lsr prob around 10 miles
  • Options

Hi all,

I'm back. Thanks for the kind words about my costume! I've dug out my times: In 2009 it took me 5:28:22 and in 2001 it took me 5:36:30. Hmm, as I am not getting any younger, perhaps sub 5 is pushing it. Still, training is going well. I am running 5 times a week this time, but not generally for as long (yet). Previously I have tried on 3 runs a week with an already long run each weekend. Let's see if my strategy will work.

The first race I ever did was the FLM in 2002. Then I ran/walked 4:59:33, not in costume.

Glad all is going well for people.

lol

• Options

Ooh, had a look at your plan on run hub and I'm excited to see you go from 13.5 min/miles to 5.3 min/miles next week! image

• Options

Morning team image

Bam - that is rather vexing about your club runs. Would they be open to suggestion do you think? And ten pin bowling definitely counts as cross training! image

Paul - My marathon took 6.54 - I'm not getting any younger either and still going for sub 5 image You've already done it once before! image

I'd be interested to know whether people think more runs a week is better - I'm only doing 3 at the minute (and will be til the triathlon is over), but after that I'll probably drop regular cycling and swimming and add in another run (or two) - might make all the difference?

How are you finding getting out 5 times a week? Have your legs recovered properly in between?

Sis (or should I could you SoD? imageimage) 5.3 min miles?! Crikey! Best find a good downhill bit (and possibly a skateboard) if I'm meant to be going that fast!! image

Spin class for me this morning - 45 mins and apparently I cycled 13 miles - not too bad before breakfast!

• Options

So this week looks something like:

Mon - spin class

Tues - rest

Wed - 2 miles (might try a speedy one) and swimming

Thurs - rest (or rather 16 hour day of fieldwork...)

Fri - 9 miles

Sat - parkrun (but nice and gently after yesterday's long run)

Sun - pilates

• Options

Daffs - if they were smaller then yes I imagine they would be open to suggestion but as there are 100s of us I think that's why they changed it in the first place

It's very quiet lately on this thread!

• Options

Ah, that makes sense then, Still, rather disappointing for you! Could break into two groups i suppose?

Tis indeed quiet round here - I confess I'm not entirely sure how all this is supposed to work! I'm trying to post details of what I've done and what I plan to do - should I be asking more specific questions?? Should I have sent Kaz a training plan to comment on?? I don't have a more detailed one than the one I posted a link to - do I need one?? Should I be giving details of everything I eat??

Happy to provide any info you ask for Kaz image

I guess there's a lot of these threads going on at the minute - maybe the ones at the faster end are just more exciting?? (or people are out running more often! image ) Also the asics ones are posting some very detailed training and nutrition advice and plans...

Perhaps I just need to be more exciting image

So, what can i tell you about myself?!

• Options

Er, I used to live on a boat. I was once self employed as a Victorian, and there are pictures of me buried in the depths of the internet wearing nowt but a handmade corset and a pair of frilly knickers image

I love travelling on trains (and in fact am on one RIGHT NOW!), and once had a go at driving one, which was Very Exciting Indeed.

I love an overambitious craft or baking or gardening or race project. I have a tiny city garden where i try (and often fail) to grow veg. I'd love to keep chickens but just don't have the space right now. I can knit and crochet and sew, but am more a fan of botching stuff than following patterns. Same applies to baking which is why i have yet to master the art of bread...

I can be impetuous and frivolous, often don't take things very seriously and am willing to try my hand at pretty much anything.

I'm also incredibly sensible and at times act quite like a pensioner image

I like out of season, down at heel holiday resorts, cafes that sell a cheap cuppa and a nice egg butty, and cake. Also cherry brandy, gin, and advocaat.

i work 4 days a week in a job i adore, and have no intention of EVER giving up my fridays off image

Anything else you'd like to know? image what about you Bam??

• Options

All people need to know about me is that I know where those pictures can be found and I am open to bribes.

• Options

Hi all, sorry not been around for a few days but it's been a bit mad since the training weekend.  There are not going to be enough hours in the day over the next few months!

Tbh I'm as much in the dark about how this is supposed to work too! 

Let me have a catch up on what you've all been posting over the last few days and we'll go from there.

• Options

Guys, let me help if I can ...

There are no set rules on how this works, its down to you both to set expectations. Some threads will bound on by pages each day and some will take much longer. Some will converse more by email, some just upload to a Garmin connect or something.  There is no right or wrong, it is what works for you.  People are busy and have busy lives, dont think that you 'should' be doing X,Y,Z
    May be use this as a social interaction between all those going for the same goals, Daffs post on a Sunday say what you have planned for the week and Kaz try to do the same.  Thats once a week commitment and a 6 day social  image

Dont feel overwhelmed .... its all a bit of serious fun

• Options

Sounds like a plan Melds.

Daffs, re number of runs - there are plans out there that only work off three runs a week.  I think given your other training three runs isn't an issue at the mo.  Once your tri is out of the way then I'd definitely say look at replacing at least one of the other sessions with a run.

• Options

One day of commitment and 6 days of sociableness sounds about right for me image

Didn't mean to make you fret Kaz! image Just wondering if i should be doing something different, but if Miss Meldy says not then that's fine by me image Your training weekend sounded fun image

I'm quite a long way off my actual marathon as well so training isn't that intense for now! Quite looking forward to doing it properly this time image

******hopes nobody notices what my SoD of a sister posted up there******

• Options
    Daffs yip we've noticed ????