RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Correction. Ir was 2009 and 2011 that I did the LM in costume not 2009 and 2001.

So far I haven't found it too hard getting out 5 days a week. This will be my 4th week doing it. At weekends I do a slow 3 miles on Saturday and have started working on my long run on Sunday. Not rushing this yet though. Last Sunday was 10 miles. 

During the week I do a steady 6 miles with a friend on Tuesday, plus a slightly shorter 5 mile run and an interval/speed session. Monday is a rest day and so is either Wed, Thurs or Fri, depending on how I fit things in. Seems to be working for me. Takes a lot of time but I am hoping that it will be worth it.

30 miles last week.

I'm on 1 other thread. It is full of good runners and is interesting. More active than this one, but that makes it harder to keep up. Don't have much spare time. Trying to move house, work is fairly busy and I have a family to enjoy/spend time with.

• Sounds like you've got a good base building up there Paul.

• Does indeed sound like a good base, I'm impressed! You're aiming for London, right?

(meant to say thanks to Meldy for clarifying things yesterday and forgot - I'll be getting a wallop at this rate!) image

I only hang around on one other thread too - like yours Paul, that's pretty busy and takes forever to catch up with! I spend all my working hours sat at a computer though which makes it much easier to pop in briefly etc - easier for me than mammoth reading sessions!

Working at home today, so I'm going to pop out for a speedy(ish) session at about 11. Just eaten normal porridgey/banana breakfast so I'll have about 2 hours for that to digest. I'd normally go first thing with just a cereal bar so will see if this makes a difference!

My sister will no doubt be pleased to hear I'm just about to spend most of my hard-won £2 coin savings on a flashy garmin like hers... image

• I think my Garmin is great! Did I previously say that I use SportsTracks to import all my runs into? I really like it.

Yes, London. Is that what most people on here are doing? Enjoy your run. Proper food in your tummy should help.

• About time!  I have the garmin 610 and I love it.  I spend far more time looking at stats than actually running. image

• SoD (I am SO going to call you that in real life from now on image) was showing me round her garmin connect stuff at the weekend - I think I'm a convert image Does SportsTracks do the same sort of thing? So many choices!!

Found a second hand one on ebay for £140, going to just get on with it and stop thinking about it!

• Alright, it's done image

Twiddling my thumbs now and getting impatient - do you think it will arrive today?? It's only about 10 miles away - if the bloody car worked I'd offer to go and get it!! image

• You could get the bus there then run back to try it out Daffs image

• Don't tempt me!! rofl rofl I'm meant to be working!! image

• Erm me - 

I'm 27, married and separated by 21 - divorced at 25, play ten-pin bowling - have previously played for England Under 24s on 2 occasions and bowled at county level since I was 15. I live in a bungalow with my mad bf and our 2 savannah cats. I'm a typical Libra. I'm renowned for drinking too much (although not that often) telling people exactly what I think (sober or drunk!) and I prefer to be in small groups of close friends rather than massive group of people I kind of know.

I'm a manager in a supported living company for people with learning difficulties, autism and mental health problems and been here for 8 years in April. I love it - every day is different! I work 50 hours a week and finding time to runw when I'm not shattered is quite difficult.

Actually Daffs - one of our sites has chickens, rabbit and ponies. Chickens absolutely stink - you really don't want any! (unless on your plate wrapped in parma ham!)

I love cooking and am actually pretty good at it. I'm the annoying fussy friend that complains if their dinner isn't right as I don't want to pay for anything that I could have cooked betterimage

I like doing random things. My bf buys most of the stuff that he wants so his presents are nearly always going somewhere or doing something. His last one was an ultimtae aerobatic flight in a 2 seater stunt plane where he got to learn how to do it himself!

I like surprises but I also like routine. I can't stand it if plans change at last minute - although I am getting better. I think that's my autistic trait!

I like spending time with close friends, malibu - i can tell if it's the cheap stuff or not, i hate bananas with a passion and also hate any kind of discrimination against anybody.

Anything else you'd like to know? image

• Went for a 6 miler last night and it was tough! I think it was because I didn't  eat properly throughout the day - no breakfast,ham and cheese panini at lunch, 1 cup of tea, 2 glasses of water and an orange/passionfruit j2o and then off for a run! I got through it but it was hard image

Bowling tonight and gotta get up early tomorrow for a 5 mile negative split run as I have bowling in the evening too! Boo!

• Oh also.....

I'm raising money for Cancer Research UK so if anyone would like to donate then that would be brilliant. Or if you'd just like to have a look at my page then please do image

My bf has decided that his company (he's an electrician) is going to sponsor me £100 and an extra £1 per training mile completed as of yesterday image

www.justgiving.com/bamslondonmarathon2014

• Dr Daffs. What model did you get? I remember looking at both garmin connect and sportstracks ages ago and deciding that I preferred the latter.  Can't remember why. I think that there is a free trial version. 

• Got a garmin 610, should be here Monday, very exciting image I imagine I'll be using the one you don't have to pay for! image

Well run Bam, and negative splits too! Excellent work image Will sneak a peak at your fundraising page later image

Wow, stunt planes sound very exciting! I like malibu too but am not at all fussy and in fact currently have a bottle of Aldi's 'Bali' in the kitchen image

Just been out for what I am calling a 'tempo run' because it fits in the McMillan pace thing with that name image 2.2 miles, just over 22 mins - first mile in 9.05, second (back uphill) in 11.16 - average overall 10.15. Not too bad at all, getting (slightly) easier!) image

• Bam, if you have a day when your eating's all over the show try and have a decent snack about an hour before you go out for your run - will hopefully stop you bonking while you're on your run and help you recover quicker afterwards.

Ooh, new Garmins are always fun image  Try not to become  a slave to it Daffs (says someone who's done exactly that in their time!) but they are very useful tools.

• Oops. Just got back from a slow 8 mile run. Clearly should have worn plasters as on taking off my jacket I found a nice big red patch over one nipple.

Some of my fastest runs and races have happened when I have ignored my Garmin, but theminfo is very useful when training.

• Ow Paul, ow ow OW! image I'm cringing just thinking about it!!

I shall indeed try not to become a slave to my garmin, although I think I'm already on the verge of becoming a slave to the HRM so there may well be no hope image Will take preventative action before it happens and make sure at least one run a fortnight I leave it behind image

• Right - 9 miles for me in the morning image These longer runs are getting to relatively uncharted territory for me now, haven't run this far since before the marathon (Oct 2012) and then not as many times as I should have... image

Trying to decide between 2 routes

(1) woods/park/scenery -  very pretty but total ascent 819 feet image

(2) road/old industrial canal - slightly less pretty (although I do like an old industrial canal), but ALL downhill or flat (I'll get the bus back up the hill again) image

Both likely to be rather muddy in parts...

Decisions, decisions... Still no Garmin (she says, like she ordered it weeks ago, not yesterday) so I'll be going with HRM again.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

woods park scenery duh

• Well, yes, I quite agree image That's what I usually do. There's just occasionally something appealing by seeing just how easy things are if I'm not constantly heading uphill in a headwind! image

• but think how much easier a flat/downhill course will be after plenty of uphill runs image

Enjoy!

• That's generally how I get through longer hilly runs Kaz! image

Should probably go to sleep or something...

• Well, I made it out of the door eventually image

9.54 miles done, in 2.03.54 image

Reasonably even splits:

11.49, 11.55, 12.21, 13.23, 13.10, 12.35, 14.44, 14,19, 12.39, 12.53

with an overall average of 12.59, which I'm pleased with image

Opted for the flat route in the end - wore HRM but decided to try run 9, walk 1 (I used to do this a lot for long runs before getting HRM). Felt hard sometimes though, and by the end I was adding in an extra 30 second walk after 4.5 mins...

Came to the conclusion that on the whole I prefer hills, as at least you then get some downhill rather than interminable plodding on the same level for hours. I guess that now qualifies me to live in Sheffield forever image

Not sure I got fuel right - got up early and ate porridge, banana and a cuppa. An hour later I was ready to leave but feeling slightly peckish image had a yogurt - fine until about 6 miles (er, about 1 hr 15) when I started being a bit wobbly image Had a mini cereal bar and walked a fair bit of mile 7, but after that perked right up on the homeward stretch.

Found a couple of gummi bears in my waist pack thing - they must have been there 18 months... Clearly I used to eat things like that, might try again!

Got home then WALKED back into town image idiotic girl. Probably done the equivalent of a half marathon today image

• Well done Daffs.  Funny how sometimes it can be easier running hills.  Like you say, the variation can be good - you get a bit of a rest on the ups and can pick up some speed on the downs.  It can be hard maintaining pace on the flats.

Sounds like you need to play around with your nutrition a bit.  I'd have something a little earlier than six miles - whether that be gels or some form of sweets.

• I need some more hours in the day! I'm really struggling to fit 4 runs a week in. The only way I can run on weds thurs or fri is by getting up at 5:45 - I just can't do it!! Or I could run after bowling but I don't get home until 10pm..... Argh it's annoying coz I know I won't reach my goal if I don't run enough! I'll have only done 20 miles this week....

Anyway I know that's not something u guys can help with - I just need to go to bed earlier so I can get up! (I'm one of these must have 8hrs ppl)

Well done on your run Daffs - I suggest having something every 45minutes so that you're replenishing before u notice u need something image
  • Bam, on days when you're struggling to get a run in could you split it and do half in the morning and half at night, or even at lunch. I know it still means being out early and late but not for as long if you get my drift.
  • I wouldn't be wanting to run before 5.45am either Bam!! image

It's a tough one - but if you're really struggling that much could you drop something else out of your schedule til the marathon is over? I'm not sure what there is, but perhaps a bowling session?? (I know, I know!)

I've decided my focus this year is running (and gardening, but not much of that just yet!) and have dropped all kinds of bits of voluntary work, musical activities etc because I was finding myself just spread too thinly and was going a bit mad.

Bit sad to have lost some of those things, but it's only temporary and they'll come back - trying to do one thing well (for once!) rather than a million half arsed things as usual!!

• Splitting it could be an option, a short one at lunch is doable - we don't have showers or anything so would have to not get sweaty!

If I could drop a bowling session I would but it's contracted in as you're in a league and I play doubles and trios. If I didn't play I'd have to pay for someone else to bowl!

Yep, it's very hard to do more than one thing and be as good as u want to be! Typically leagues stop in May so I'll have missed the training for marathon but perhaps will get chance to get more of a routine going over the summer and decide what to do for the next season.

Just back from a 5k. Decided I was going to have a pb and I did! Although my previous one just comes from training rather than trying to do a5k. It is now 30:49 from 31:52 so I'm happy with that. Came back in feeling sick and tired as I was deceived by the weather - lovely and sunny but the wind was a killer!
  • Well done on the PB Bam.  Great stuff image

Guess at this time of the year you can hopefully not get too sweaty if you go out for a lunchtime run! 

• Got a last minute place in Viking Coastal marathon tomorrow so it'll be a mimble out on the Kent coast for me.  Then home to start getting sorted for hols next week image