The 2014 Marathon Thread.

1125126127128129131»

Comments

•  

NP I guess you will be having a sober new years eve ! with a race new years day 

what distance is it ? 

SC excellent LT run , you have got some quality sessions done lately 

SM6 well done on the 11 miler , dont talk to me about phones ! mine got wet on saturday and has spent 2 days in rice ! and its still not working image

MG1 rapid !  superb 8 miler 

Tek good luck with the plan and nice 13 done 

rest days in tne trot here image most unusual but life and work really have taken over the last 2 days 

plan is to do 16/17 tomorrow 

• Stewart good work on getting the 9 with some LT miles in, never easy those.

NP god swim as usual image you will be raring to go for your race.

NN enjoy your run today.

5 fairly easy miles , nice and frosty out there image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH thanks for the link (I think...)

Stuart well done on the slippery 11 miler

MG that's an impressive pace and distance for the tempo run!  Well done on the easy 5 this morning.

Stewart nice improvement on the LT run

NP good swim and nice walk with Buddy

NN hope you enjoyed the rest days - good luck with the LSR

---

6.7m with the club this morning - frosty / icy on the pavements, but a lot safer in the park and woods.image

• Loch Katrine Mara entry in ...

No ice here now but 40mph and heavy rain forecast for the bank holidays image

Great pace MG1
    Good T&D (image) session SM6  

All the best for NYD race NP
    Hope LSR went well today NN
    Good 9 miles Stewart
    Best indeed to keep off pavements Tek although no woods here

• Another one in for Loch Katrine- as a warm up marathon prior to my ultra (Fling) in april.

3miles easy on the tready today, planning to get out for about 13 miles on the WHW over the holiday weekend, and got  in a couple of spinnig sessions as cross training.

Sounds slippy out there- take care everyone! Might try the screws in one of my dozens of old pairs of shoes if it gets icy here!- sounds more secure than the slip- on spike thingy's I usually use in snow ( Yaktrax or something).

Well done on the faster sessions- I find them tough, and have to admit to spending too much time just plodding- New year resolution is to fix that !

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.---------

OH,

That sounds like a very good idea.

• Tricia. OH well done with the Loch Katerine entry,

Tek, Frost/ice free here now, well done with the club run,

SM, Enjoy your final run of the year tomorrow

NP. Sounds like Buddy had fun image

MG, a nice easy 5, just what you need after that tempo run

NN, I hope the LR went well

A 9 miles GA for me this afternoon, it was a lot warmer out today, 9 more miles to get too 2000 for the year image

• I'll have a proper read back in the morning, as I'm knackered now but looks like some good training today!

-------

5 hours hillwalking with my brother today. Hard going in knee deep snow.
  • NN enjoy your long run tomorrow, if you used your phone when it was wet it will be f*****image sorry.

MG1 nice runningimage

Teknik nice club running todayimage

OH weather forecast not looking good for the New Yearimage

Tri well done on the treadmill enjoy your run tomorrow.

SC Great running and well done on the 2000image thats a great total for the year.

SM6 5 hour walking in the hills is a good work outimage

Well went out and did just short of 6 miles this morning feeling sorry for Buddy so we went back up to the forest, new trainers on Hoka Conquest, had them for about 3 weeks and have walked in them but this was my first run in them. Shorter run with strides tomorrow.image

• New Thread now openimage 2014 turned out to be a great year for myself, I turned 53 in August but managed to go sub 3 hours again in London, 1:29 for a half, 29 mins for 5 miles, 36 mins for 10k and set the course record at my local Parkrunimage so Can I go even faster in 2015 trust me it won't be for the want of trying image

• Just a quick post its turned into a long day ! ending with me 'losing' my car key , later found under the micowaveimage after dragging my son and his girlfiend off the sofa out into the cold and pitch black armed with just a mobile phone for a torch at 9 pm to help me find it 

Will catch up with what everyone been doing in the morning ( Not showered or eaten yet) 

17 miles this evening  in 2.31 (8.53pace ) felt like I could have run a marathon  tonight my kind of weather bloody freezing ! 

• Tek well done on your run, sounds nice in the woodsimage

OH and Tricia good to see you have your entry in. imageimage

Stewart nice run, hope you get to the milestone by the end of tomorrow.

SM like the sound of the hill walking image

NP good running as normal image interesting to hear how you get on with the hoka shoes.

Down in cornwall for a couple of days, so looking forward to a pre breakfast run tomorrow although the hills round here look badimage
  • NN sorry just missed you, great LR, feels warmer next door here in Cornwall image
  • NP you should be be a very happy chap after a superb year of racing and super fast times at various distances.
  • NN just don't mention keys I hate the bloody things and can never find them, funny how they are always in the last place you lookimage Fantastic 17 miles for you rest them legs nowimage.

MG1 enjoy the hills in Cornwall, there has been loads of people here on the thread who have done PB's this year and run well in races thats what I love about the forum everyone supports everyone.

Quick question would you rather run a sub 3 hour marathon or run 100 marathons? which do you think is the easiest to achieve? you don't have to set PB's in the 100 marathons and any time will do.

• Oh and I swam 750m front crawl this morning and will get out for a short run later.image

• Stewart - Great miles the last few days, and I like the look of the pace in your tempo too! Well doneimage

NN - Impressive pace for the long run yesterday, I was quite amused by your story about the keys!image

Tek - Nice club runimage

Tricia/OH - Good to get a race entry inimage

MG - You should try running up the hill we went up yesterdayimage Saying that it is probably runnable, had it not been for 2 feet of snow...

NP - Good swimming and running. I forgot that the local pool should be open again, need to get back to that in the new year.

----------

Think I'll postpone the long run until Sunday, as I'm waiting on my new garmin being delivered. No doubt if I go out it'll arrive to no one in the house. Legs are a wee bit sore anyway.

I'll run to the gym and back (as well as doing some weights) later.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH good you got the race entry in - good luck with the weather!

Tricia well done on the 3m tready run

HM thanks

Stewart nice 9 miler, hope you hit your target

Stuart awesome hike - saw the stats on Fetch !

NP nice Buddy run.  I've just bought some Hoka Cliftons - amazingly light - but I'll have to wait until the weather's better.  Great year for you - 4 Pbs and a sub3 maraimage

NN excellent Long Run today in the cold

MG enjoy your stay in Cornwall

---

First hard day of the Half plan today - 8 x 400m off a 3'00" jog recovery - the 400s came in around 1'25" to 1'30" so a bit too quick and the recoveries ending up being a walk and rest.  I nearly quit at 7 but I bumped into a club-mate who ran the last one with me...

2400 miles for the year.image  That's about 500 down on 2013, but I PBd at 10k and the Half, so happy enough.image

Enjoy the celebrations tonight peepsimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MG,

Have a good holiday.

------

Well done guys.  Hope you all have a good new year.

• NP good swim earlier, there was guy swimming in the sea in just trunks here, now thats brave or madimage For me a sub 3 hr marathon would be far harder than 100 marathons at any pace . As you have already gone sub 3 hr you better start on getting to 100 and tell usimage

SM enjoy the weights, always happens that way with deliveries,

Tek good start on the plan well done for sticking at it, great years milage and training and also bearing in mind you were out of action for a while. 2 PBs as well so a nice return image

5 m costal path run first thing that kicked my ass big time, school boy error of not bringing trail shoes so was a bit slippy in the muddy bits, some climbs were down to walking pace. Breakfast then a back out for a 6 m coastal walk back along the path with mrs G down to Gorran Haven so a good days training.

2224 m for the year, marathon time down to 3.16 and went sub 1.30 for the half so mega happy after two years of training and racing. Goals for 2015 - go sub 3.15 - 3.10 and complete 100 k ultra and stay fit. image

Have a great evening all.
  • Tek - That's a cracking session to end the year. I'd say the recoveries were a bit long, but then you really ripped into the intervals so it's all good!image

MG - A good bit of training today, and excellent year and you'll have no bother getting under 3:10 next year the way you're goingimage

---------

2x3.4 miles with 45 minutes or so in the gym. HR really high, but as thats my first run with new watch/HRM the numbers are a bit meaningless. I'll see how it goes over the next few runs.

Pretty dire year for me, only PB'd at marathon and those pair of PBs hardly thrilled me. I felt like I was flying in Feb/March and ended up with nothing to show for it. Ah well. 2018 miles run, that's about the only running related thing I'm pleased with this year. 

I actually broke 2000 miles without any 200 mile months, which I guess shows some consistency!image

Aims for 2015 - 90 minute half (Alloa), 3:15 marathon (Loch Ness?) and 3650km running. And not break anything during the Highland Fling...image

• Not a great year for me- first time I've failed to go sub- 50 at any 10k all year ( although I didn't help my cause by only doing 2!). Managed to PB at 5k, and at 57miles, but not in between!

Overall mileage lowest for years, and most of it done too slowly.

Aims for 2015:

More mileage, get back to sub- 50 10k's, and close to 4hr marathon again........................and finish the Fling before the time cut off.

• It's been an up and down year for me this year I've managed to PB at 10k, HM and Marathon, but have had some injury concerns during the summer which forced me to abandon Baxters Marathon in the Autumn.

I'm going to try and get some more shorter races in this year, and I hope to keep the improvement curve going in the right direction in 2015.

9 miles earlier to bring up the 2000 miles Happy Days image 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Summing up my year running wise:- 

High points getting Chris thru VLM and finding out that I've managed to record some running for every month this year.  I usually end up having a long break over winter because I'm very much a fair weather runner.

Low points finding out I was pregnant on day of one of my favourite races (a hilly 5 miler) and missing it due to morning sickness - only to have a miscarriage a few days later.  Then having a sinus infection and never really getting back into gear this year.  Fingers crossed for next year!

• Never got out for that last run but happy with the way my legs are feeling, some fantastic running by everyone this year and many breaking through  the 2000 miles for the year which is not easy.

Total running for the month: 161 miles, swimming: 20.1 miles.

Total for the year: 1779 miles, swimming: 158.8, bike: 80. Total training time 326 hours.

Happy New Year everyone see you on the other side.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Flicks the light switch and closes the door on another great year.image

• Belated happy new year everyone

I'm still in hospital with pneumonia admitted on new year yers Eve

Will be following this thread as I recover

Tek will use your tips from last year
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Michael jesus I hope you recover soon mate - I'm still under the weather but back running. 

join us on the 2015 thread here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/the-2015-marathon-thread/285716-4.html#last