The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• I'm down for at least 2 might nudge up to 4 or 5 by the end of the year might do a couple as long fun training runs, not eorrying about pace image slightly expensive for training runs, but a lot more fun.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

First early run done of 2014 - 4m easy on the treadmill. Body balance tonight if the classes are on.

F

• Will. I have saved a previous set of 16 training emails from RW and they are what I am following but you would have to enter them manually...

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona that was an impressive bike ride ! Well done for getting out to do the intervals last night. Nice easy 4m this morning

Kevin W and Kevin C welcome to the thread

Stewart nice easy 4m

Stuart nice steady 7m and good luck with your P&D 12/70 (lite)image..what's a mere 78 mins...LOLimage

OH nice 10 miler - good to hear you're feeling better

Mathschick nice run and bike

Kevin G welcome.  This is going to be tough remembering everyone...

HM good to have a planimage

MG thanks for tip - nice steady 6m

NP nice double againimage

Will and Booktrunk welcome

Paul how did the steady 4 go?

----

Howling wind, torrential rain and then hail made this morning's 17m LSR a toughie.  9:15mm and 74% of Maximum Heart Rate on average - last few miles drifted slightly over my 75% limit but not too badly.  image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Race List up to the end of May

If I missed anyone, please post and I'll correct. 

05/1/14
    12/1/14
    19/1/14
    26/1/14 Ferriby 10m  IccleJim
    02/2/14
    09/2/14 Barry 40              Jason D
    16/2/14 Stamford 30k  IccleJim
    22/3/14 Larne Half   No Pain
    23/2/14 Kinloss to Lossiemouth Half     Stewart C
    23/2/14 Sleaford Half  IccleJim
    02/3/14 Bideford Half      Night Nurse
    09/3/14 Essex 20              Teknik
    09/3/14 Inverness Half      Stuart M, Stewart C, Fiona C
    09/3/14  Ashby 20  IccleJim
    09/3/14  Lydd Half  mace
    16/3/14
    23/3/14 Warwick Half        AGF
    23/3/14 Brentwood Half     Teknik
    23/3/14 Loch Katrine         OH
    29/3/14 Born to Run Ultra  Jason D
    29/3/14 Victoria Park 5m   Teknik
    30/3/14
    06/4/14 Manchester          AGF
    06/4/13 Brighton              mace, Lisa123, Tim Mallett, Kevin G, Will L
    06/4/14 Lochaber              Stuart M, Stewart C
    13/4/14 London          Jason D, Fiona C, Night Nurse, No Pain, Paul Terrill, Kevin C
    13/4/14 Llanelli                Mathschick
    20/4/14
    27/4/14 Great Edinburgh 10   Stuart M
    04/5/14
    11/5/14
    17/5/14 Cape Wrath  OH
    25/5/14 Edinburgh Stuart Wallace, Laudi, Kevin Wickham
    31/5/14 Stockholm   MG1

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

For those on Fetch, the race list is housed here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

• Windy night, up for a ten mile run with clubmates so no backing out, rained at mile 5 but the sun came out......eventually!!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well done for that LSR, Tek .Tough conditions.

Kevin G - i recognised your club vest so did a bit of stalking and see your name on my local parkrun recently image

Still feeling rough, slept terrible, howling wind,  and calf niggling so i sacked this morning's 12 and hid under the duvet when the alarm went off at 5am image

• Hi Teknik. Nice list. I'm doing Cliveden XC this coming Sunday (approx 10k) if not cancelled. Also Reading half on 2nd March.

Not on fetch... 

• Hi all,

Only managed 3.5 miles last night as I set off too quick, but apart from that its the best I have felt for over a month.

Teknik, Sleaford Half is a possible for me if training goes to plan if not will have to look for one in March.

• Mace - Probably a good idea in the circumstances

Tek - Nice long run, especially if it's as windy down where you are as it is here.

Kevin G - Well done on getting a good early morning run in

Fiona - Well done on the early one too!

Kevin W - At least you got some miles done!

--------------

Howling wind outside, not even attempting to run. I'm on a recovery week anyway, so no real issue. Done a mile in the pool instead.

Finally got signed up for the Inverness Half. Price is a bit steep, I think it's 9 quid more than Alloa. Saying that, pretty insignificant once I factor in travel/accommodation and beer...

• SM, I'm doing the same, I'll turn one of the 17/18's into a 20 to make it 5x20+ runs, and the Inverness half will be my 18 with 14@MP, I'm also not doing the doubles so the mileage should stay below 70pw, good decision not to run today it is really blowing out there.

Fiona, well done with the early run

Tek, great Long run in tough conditions I wouldn't be at all concerned about the HR in those conditions

Kevin G, well done with the club 10 miler

Mace, no point aggravating the calf, and if you're still not well best to rest now so you can recover quicker

Kevin W, nice 3 miler good to hear you're feeling better

-------------------------------------------

It was meant to be an 11 mile run today but I needed to be back before 12, so I cut it down to 10, I managed to avoid the worst of the weather but it was still windy HRM was playing up so the stats are garbage.  

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on tough miles in this weather Teknik and KG, always good to get these done!

mace, don't blame you, 5am is a horrible time to go out running when it's rubbish weather. It's bad enough running out to the garage!

KW good that you got out last night.

SM6 the main Inverness runs (10k, half and marathon) all seem a bit pricey. Suppose my £70 winnings at the 10k more than covered the cost so I shouldn't complain!

Stewart well done on your run, not easy conditions to run in today.

No body balance for me after my massage.

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.  Hope the weather isn't too bad for you.

Stuart,

I'm definitely doing Hook 2.5 mile race in May and Victory 10k which I think is September.  I'm hoping to do Purbrook Ladies 5 mile in June but have a feeling that this is going to be on the same weekend as a car club weekend Chris wants to go on.

Tek,

Thanks

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kevin G nice windy 10 with the club

mace enjoy the rest - get well soon image

Paul I've added your races - I'll repost the list later in the month

Kevin W well done for getting out - glad you're feeling a little better

Stuart nice distance in the pool

Stewart well done on battling through the 10m

Fiona hope the massage did the trick

HM I've got you down for 14 September for that 10k

---

Really struggled this morning - legs tired from the LSR - and I couldn't keep up with the club run without the HR exploding.  5.5m in the mud done.  Tomorrow is the start of our weekly tempo runs / races...eek!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi peeps, well I'm on the bench hopefully not for long I was putting all the Christmas stuff into the roof space and put my back out yesterday afternoon. So floating around the house at the moment on Tramadol and diazepam. Got the disc back in about an hour ago but still very painful as a few of you know this has happened a few times in the past number of years and normaly takes a few days to settle down. Will miss today's training and re-jig next week.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I don't think they've released the date yet.  I couldn't see anything this morning. Well done on the run.

NP,

Hope that doesn't cause too many problems for you.

• Stewart good 10 yesterday

SM nice swimming , good to do a bit of variation image

NP hope the back recovers quickly , I am sure those painkillers will make things feel more comfortable

Tek, well done on the muddy run this morning enjoy the tempo stuffimage

19 m @ 8.40 av this morning in nice cool, calm conditions that certainly were a welcome change image still along way to go but happy right now, time for a rest tomorrow .
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP take care of the back, at least it's not a running injury so as you say should be back to it in a few days!!

MG1 that sounds like a nice run.

Teknik no wonder your HR was high running through mud! Good luck tomorrow. image

HM4 good that you are planning some events.

My plan said a parkrun today but road shoes would have been rubbish as the course is wet and slippery at the moment so I did 3.1m on the road. Not great, a tough run, but at least I have something to work on.image

F

• Fiona, would have been tough to do a 5k on your own at pace, give it a few weeks and you'll be flying

MG, another great long run you've been running really well enjoy your rest day tomorrow

HM, good to see you've got some races in the pipeline

NP, ouch! hope the back settle down and you can get back into the training soon

Tek, a xc route will be tougher and the HR would be higher anyway, good luck with the change in race regime image

----------------------------------------------

An easy 5 miles this morning on a gently undulating route, happy enough to keep the average HR at 73% for a 10:11mm pace, long run tomorrow 18 with 10 @MP should be fun! 

• Stewart - Nice easy run today, sounds like a tough one tomorrow!

Fiona - That is a good run! You'll never get close to race pace running on your own. I reckon 21 minutes on your own, would be mid 19s in a race...

MG - Another great long run image You'll be in fantastic form by the end of May!

NP - Hopefully the back sorts itself quicklyimage

Tek - Not surprised you struggled a bit after yesterday! Good luck with the hard session tomorrow!

-----------

Same 7.3 as Thursday, decided to run a bit slower (aiming for about 9:10ish). Ended up running faster...d'oh.

13 or so tomorrow.

• I'm in, booked place on the York Marathon in October which is likely to be my first one, have got first half marathon in May at Edinburgh.

Currently doing Hadd training am still in the pre Hadd stage though building up the miles.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Stewart, the forecast looks ok. Do you have a route in mind?

I like the sound of over a minute less Stuart! I have a parkrun to do in 2 weeks time. I'm in London that weekend so will be looking for one to do there.

York sounds nice davey. I think some of the guys here do Hadd style training.

F

• Quick sea dip followed by 7.5 over mixed terrain.image

Winds dropped today but daughtwer had rough trip on ferry to Aberdeen.image

Welcome Davey to the madhouseimage

Wind due to get up again tomorrow afternoon Stewart ...image
    Good long run MG1image

• 23:15 for the parkrun; faster than last week, but still 45 secs slower than my best and I should be close to that each week! very wet but not slippery.

Not sure about an LSR tomorrow,might rest!

• No park runs near me. Clifton xc tomorrow though. That should be nice and slippery. Bring on those steps.
  • Paul, good luck with xc

IJ, good run at parkrun, enjoy the rest day tomorrow

OH, well done with swim and 7 mile run, I'll need to get my run done early it's going to be hard enough without a wind

Fiona, I'll do my usual along the river down to the point and I'll run around the canal up to dochgarroch, it will be nice and flat image

davey, Tek is the main man on this thread with regard to Hadd training

SM, nice 7 miler today enjoy the 13 tomorrow

• Paul - Good luck with the XC

IJ - At least it's faster than last week! A good time all the same!

OH - Nice run, and dip in the water!

davey - Welcome, York looks like a good marathon. It's one I'm considering for Autumn.

----------

Quick gym session not long after my run. Not too exciting, jumped on the scales to survey the damage from Xmas. A fairly modest 3lb gain leaves me at 11'10. 11st is the target for April, haven't been that weight since I left school...

• Hi all,

new to this forum. Took up running last May At 40yr old.  My wife as always ran. I always said I would never do it. However, ran the great north run to raise money for the northern general hospital. Completed it in a time of 2hrs 10. Wife could have run much faster but was worried I might collapse so stayed with me.

i enjoyed the. Half marathon so much that I have just signed up for the sheffield half  marathon in April. Looking forward to it

happy new year to each and everyone

• Sorry,

think I may have posted in wrong thread. Did not realise this was the full marathon thread.

sorry