The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH I hope it's not too windy tomorrow, I seem to have agreed to a cycle after the run! 

Stewart that's a good route, looks like a chilly start tomorrow.

Stuart well done on the weight. The training will take care of a few pounds. image

Feel free to stick around Paul. image You did really well at the GNR - my first half too!

F

• welcome to the first time posters.

NP, look after yourself and your back.

Good running everyone else. Some decent park runs in this weather. The speed helps balance your training well.

yesterday was my first long run for 6 months. Awful weather so did it intone gym. A run walk hobby. Time on my feet etc. a mental battle of 3hrs 19mins. At least it's Done now. Thesteer meant to be run slow right?  This week have done 20 miles at 10mm and a 5 miles tempo at 7:08mm .... That's quite some difference !!!

enjoy your long runs if doing then today !!!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Paul,

Welcome to the thread.  I've only done 1 marathon, however did a couple of half marathon's last year.  They've let me stay in the thread previous years' when I've not done anything with the word marathon in it.  So you'll be fine to stick around.  My longest race this year is due to be 10k.

----------

Well done guys.

• This week:

Tues: 15 miles at 8mm for 2 hour total

Wed: 13 miles at 9mm for 2 hour total

Fri: 6 miles at 7mm for 42 mins total.

Run 30 miles/50km total over 3 or 4 days per week

My next marathon is in mid June. No big long runs until March.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP sorry to here you're benched - hope the back eases quicklyimage

HM thanks

MG another good long run - enjoy the rest todayimage

Fiona well done on the 3.1m - it's tough to race hard without someone to chase

Stewart nice easy 5 - 18 with 10 at MP is a hard session this early on, so good luck

Stuart nice 7.3m; hope the 13 went ok today.  Good luck with the weight lossimage

Davey welcomeimage

OH nice swim and run

IJ well done on the parkrun.

Paul T I hope you had fun at the XC

Paul C welcomeimage

AGF well done for banging out that treddie 20 miler - super dedication!

RW welcomeimage

---

Short w/up then a 6.4m race around the local streets.  A club-mate paced me round at 7:23mm pace - legs felt fine but the HR went through the roof.  Happy enough with the run, but a lot of work needed to get under 6:52mm for double the miles !image

Week's stats: 60.5m @ avg. 9.00mm and avg.HR 159 (75%max).

• Good work Teknik. Remember that's at the end of a 60 mile week and hence your bit fresh !!! Different to race conditions !!

• gosh, I have had a couple of busy days and just read back but forgotten most of what I have read

NP - hope your back is improving

Paul - I did the sheffield half a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, though I was a bit irked that they had run out of goodie bags when I finished and sensible sized t-shirts! And there were lots of people behind me too

I also have a place in York for this year.

Friday I did a run and bike session, also got sucked into a body ball class which I hated

yesterday was bike and swim

today I had planned to do a longish run, but was awake half the night sneezing so was just too tired and grumpy at the time I could have gone out. Spending the day at the inlaws now so might go later if there is time, or just swap days and have a rest day and run tomorrow.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done AGF, treadmill long runs are mentally tough. image

Nice speedy running Teknik. My weeks stats are much the same as yours. image

Out sharpish this morning as I was going to cycle later. The road was white with frost and very slippy. Did a 3m warm up outside then a 10k brisk treadmill run then a cool down outside - 15.2 miles in total. Back to the long runs next week. Didn't get out on the bike after all as too icy. image Possibly just as well as feeling pretty tired. Weeks stats 60 miles HR 158 pace 8:16mm. Also 3 hours on the bike.

F

• Fiona - That sounds quite an odd runimage Great weeks training though!image

AGF - Well done on the slow run. That's about the same sort of pace as I ran my first 20 earlier in December.

Tek - Nice pace in todays run, and nice running for the week!

mathschick - Sounds like swapping the days around is the best idea!

---------------

Back to work tomorrow, and have a few things to do today so no run for me. I would have got for a run if I hadn't slept until half past 1...image Been a bit too lazy this week, but hopefully that means my legs will be nice and prepared for the upcoming assault.

Training plan for Lochaber starts tomorrow. So 11 miles after work.

• Looks like everyone has been putting the miles this weekend.

Gave parkrun a miss Saturday as was really not feeling it, very tired. Just wish this damn cold would go away.

I struggled round 4.8miles today but its the most I have run since about September so mustn't complain too much.

Onwards and upwards hopefully image

• SM, we have the same weight target, I'm currently 11'12, delight not to have gone back over 12st during the Christmas break, good luck with the start to P&D 

Paul, welcome to the thread, stick around image

Fiona, it was a bit icy out today, nice run probably wise too do the tempo on the treadie, hope the cycle has done well this afternoon

AGF, An awesome run on the treadie, I don't know how you can do it, you must have a will of steel

RW, nice base building what marathon are you doing in June

Tek, Awesome stats for the week and a tough race to finish it off, 

Mathschick, rest up and go out tomorrow if your feeling better

Kevin, a good start, remember to build up slowly

-----------------------------------------

18 miles with 10 @MP was the plan I did the 18 but only ran 9 @MP I couldn't bring myself to do the last mile so turned it into a cool down, it was a little icy in places on the canalside today so I had too watch the footing.

Stats for MP section 9m, @ 9mm avgHR159(83%).
    Weekly totals 60.4m, 9:50mm avgHR 148(78%)

• Paul Cattell wrote (see)

Took up running last May At 40yr old.  My wife as always ran. I always said I would never do it. However, ran the great north run to raise money for the northern general hospital. Completed it in a time of 2hrs 10. Wife could have run much faster but was worried I might collapse so stayed with me.

i enjoyed the. Half marathon so much that I have just signed up for the sheffield half  marathon in April. Looking forward to it

happy new year to each and everyone

A touch of déjà vous for me here (except I left it a decade later!)

Only intended to do Hoy Half in 2011 ... but still running and still on here - be warned!

impressive! StewartC

Welcome RW image

Interesting combination FionaC, but good miles (and probably advisable to skip the cycle).

Hope 11 goes ok tomorrow, SM6

Just a cool windy walk for me today (Marwick Head) - May get a longer run in tomorrow if weather not too wild!

• Hi- mind if I join?

Am planning a double marathon in april ( glasgow Edin), then probably strathearn mara in june, Clyde stride (40 miles) in Sept. Unfortunately my usual target marathons ( lochaber and Loch ness) clash with the 2 ultras.

I am nowhere near the mileages a lot of you put out ,which is embarassing ,as really I should be doing more, not less given my attempts at ultras.

I have previously tried P&D, but struggled, think I will try it again ( 12week up to 55 miles) up to the april race, but try to add a few miles to the LSR's , and not bother with the sections at mara pace- just go slow as I can bear. I am substituting a 40km "fun" run for my LSR in 2 weeks time, plus have the obligatory ski trip at altitude for 2 weeks in feb, which is a disaster for any plan. ( last time it took me a week to recover from the altitude enough to go for a run!)

Never mind, I will just have to do the best I can within those limits.

Longest run recently is 16 miles , so if it was a single marathon, I'd be happy enough with progress so far.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

-------

Did 1.79 miles this morning.  Was convinced the plan said 1.75 got home & loaded it up & found it should have been 1.5.

• Ah found you

Not got lap top at the moment so quick posti on phone ,

First proper long run today 18 miles in 2..50 which brings this weeks mileage in at 62 !! good old P&D style

Absolutey disgusting weather which made it a tough run mentally as well as physically , guess we are all on the same boat .

Can't read Back properly till I can get on computer tomorrow

Hope you are all running well
  • Running my first ever marathon in april! Slightly petrified!

• Welcome across, Tricia. See you at loch Katrine again.

Welcome aboard, Lyl image what your April marathon?

• Hi all,

Nice to catch up on what you've all been up to. I have slightly tired legs, so good to sit and read about other people's day!

The Cliveden XC was very enjoyable morning, though all the better because I knocked off nearly 3 minutes from my first time doing it last year. It does help to know the course and where the punishing up hills (and down hills) are but I also think I am fitter than last year. At least I hope so! Bit slippery in places, but a fun and non rainy morning.

New week ahead. Let's get those miles in. Trials of miles....miles of trials. Or is it the other way around?

• Lyl I take it you are running VLM ?

Tricialitt I swear by P&D seriously if you have the time to knock out high mileage go for it , lots of miles but hardly any speed work , suits me just fine , I detest speed work , I have the first edition which doesn't even have as many marathon paced runs as the second edition .
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Afternoon allimage Why aren't the notifications working yet AGAIN, RW?image

Good to see most of us able to get the miles in despite the weather.

NP- hope you are feeling better

Tek- thanks for adding my races to the list, but the Barry race is (thankfully!) March, not Febimage

Well, braving the elements here with the ultras looming. Actually recorded my highest mileage week last weekimage Not easy in the storms though....

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF thanksimage

Mathschick hope you're better today

Fiona nice 15m with a 10k at tempo.  Great week's total - substantially quicker then mine! image

Stuart good luck with the run after work today

Kevin W well done on the 4.8m

Stewart well done for hitting those splits in the long run - heart rate under control too, given the 8 mile warm up.  Nice week's total, too.image

OH hope the weather's better for running today

Jason oops - hope I didn't worry you for a whileimage - well done on a big week!

tricialitt welcome - what are the dates for your races (can't find them easily)?

HM well done on doing the extraimage

NN well done on the 18 and great week at 62 miles !image

Lyl welcome

Paul T well done on the Cliveden XC time image

NP hope the back's on the mend

---

Finally got my recovery jog down to 70%max - 4.5m @ 9:11mm on a pancake flat tarmac route, although there were a few moments of running into a brick wall of wind.image

• first ever mara for me this year - Blackpool. got 12-13wks to cobble together some kind of plan.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- lol! No, you didn't worry me! Neither did Fiona asking me on Fetch whether I was doing a 50k this weekendimageimage

• Can I join in as well?

Doing my first marathon this year, but have given myself plenty of time as doing the Yorkshire Marathon in October. Will see how training goes before setting myself any targets - at the moment the aim is to keep all limbs in their sockets and all bones in one piece whilst getting going again.

Running in recent years been v interrupted by having kids, shoulder dislocation, repair of said shoulder and then last 18M waiting for microfractures of my talus to heal. Tried everything I could think of to speed them up, but just needed lots of time.

Raring to go now but will be taking it v steady.

• Wind 30 gusting 40 kts but managed to get slow 16 miles in, more or less equally split between muddy trails and road. image

welcome Fran-tic and  Jd - 11 ( when are JD 2 - 10 joining us?image )

Sounds like you've had a long slow road back to full recovery Fran ...

• OH - Great running in tough conditions

Fran-tic - Welcome, Yorkshire is still a long way away so a nice slow build up will do the trick image

jd - Welcome too! Good luck in the training.

Tek - Good to see the HR back under controlimage

Jason - What (crazy number) classes as record mileage for you? 120ish? Great running!image

NN - Was wondering when you were going to re-appear! Nice long run and excellent weekly mileageimage

Paul - Excellent work on the XCimage

Lyl - Welcomeimage

HM - Nice running!

tricialitt - Is Glasgow-Edinburgh along the canals via the Falkirk Wheel? Might go along and watch some of the runners passing Falkirk if it is. 

Stewart - Brilliant MP run!image

--------------

Had wanted to sign up for the Yorkshire marathon, but the last of the places sold out within 10 minutes this morning while I was at work. The 1 day I had to be on dayshift...  Ah well, that's the planned autumn marathon down to 3 possibilities (from 5 a few days ago).

Don't see me running 11 miles this evening either, but I will get out for something.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi to the new folk & well done on everyone's training.

----------

Thanks guys.  I'm planning on getting out again on Wednesday and Chris may even be coming with me.

• evening all

feel fine today, so reckon it is hayfever - have started the hayfever tablets and they seem to have it sorted. Damn annoying getting hayfever at this time of year though!

So got out at 5am for 4 miles - so got my run in though it was shorter than if I had ran yesterday, but better than nothing. First day back at work so slightly tired now!

welcome to the new folk

well done to everyone getting out and training in this wind!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Good long runs Nurse and OH

AGF 20 on a tready is bananas mate, hats off to you

Back on it then Tek, good week.

Stewart - well done, I found my 18 w10 tough as well. Managed the 10 but I've realised it was a bit on the quick side. That and having a hangover from a cold meant I ended up walkin some of the 3 cool down miles.

Tough week here, plan was 65M but only managed 50 after dropping Friday 12 (cold) and having a bit of a calf niggle. Should be back to normal this week

Hope the weather's kind to you all.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stuart- Snowdon! Go onimage As for mileage- yep, 122image