The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• Lyl, 18 miles on the treadie is a tough session well done getting through it,

Tek, well done with the muddy club run

AGF, great advice for treadmill and marathon training,

Lolo, welcome

SM, another good MLR

HM, enjoy your run today

NP, nice double day yesterday,enjoy the MLR later

MG, I bet they did, well done on the run and gym work

Paul, slowing those down will do wonders plus you will be fresher for the quality session later in the week

--------------------------------------------

Just over 8 miles last night the usual JS Sandwich, 2 mile before and 1 and a bit after, ran the bit a little faster because I forgot to get some strides in image

• Does/has anybody ran the London marathon with music? I mentioned it in another thread about taking my ipod and was told that would be a pretty big mistake. I know music gets me through because of the beat etc, obviously the crowds must be amazing but is there ever a point where you feel like some personal music would help? 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF good advice, as alwaysimage

Lolo welcome

Stu I'm a big fan of bottle belts too

Stuart nice 11m again - exactly why I can't run on perceived exertion - my perception is flawed image

HM hope the plan works out today

NP well done on the double

MG nice 5m easy and well done on the PT session

Paul T it's a very common error to run your long runs too fast - you need to grow your slow twitch fibres and that's best done at low but long intensities.  Plus you want to reach race day in good shape. 

Matsmum welcome

Stewart nice JS sandwich

Lyl I run mara's with headphones where I'm allowed - my own music gets me in the zone - although I took them off for Berlin because the crowd and band support was so good.  image

---

Hard day today - 1.7m w/up then 2 x 4m at maraHR.  8.10 and 8.18mm, HR lower and less spiky so happy enoughimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG Nice session in the gym and the 5 mile run.

PaulT it depends on how many your doing and what you back the rest of the week up with. I like to add MP to mine and build up the sections of MP, so they might be in the middle or at the end of a run it's each to there own and depends what your goal is and also your weekly milage.

Welcome Matsmum you will need to start building your time on feet/miles over the next couple of months 10% a week is good.

SC well done on your run.

Lyl I have used a iPod shuffle for the past 4 London Marathons but only turned it on when I needed to "get in the zone  and focus" But the noise from all the support is fantastic and if you put your name on your vest you will have a million new friends shouting your nameimage

Teknik well done on todays MP effort.

I was dropped off in Belfast and ran home 13.2 miles or just over as my Garmin gave up at 7.8miles.image Building building.

• So is it worth taking it anyway for when times get hard? 

• Lyl - If it'll help you get through a tough patch in the race, then aye, you should definitely take it. I'm not sure you'd need to use it in a race like London. I took (and used) mine for my last marathon (and will take it again in April), but their was only something like 350 runners not the 40000 that will be at London.

NP - Great MLR today!

Tek - Me and you clearly have different levels of trust in our HRMs! My strap losses tension too easily, so likely gives slightly inaccurate readings. It's worth noting that I got a lower reading in my 5k PB, where I half killed myself, than I did in a 10k a few weeks later where I likely could have ran a minute quicker than I did. I'm not believe that for a minute!

Great MP run earlier, HR looks like it's getting there too.

Stewart - Nice total for yesterday. I've totally neglected doing strides, meant to do them in Friday or Saturday run.

Matsmum - Welcome! 20-25 miles/week is ok the now as it's still about 18 weeks til Edinburgh? Plenty of time to build up a bit and get some good long runs in.

Paul - Other than the planned fast session, I'm not sure you can run too slowly. I'm running most of my runs about 2 minutes slower than my (hopeful) MP, although I've sped up a bit recently.

MG - Well done on the run/gym double!

HM - Did you manage to get out today?

---------------

Rest day for me. Plan says I still have 5,5,8 and 15w/8 to do. But as I'm only running 5 times a week, it'll be 5,8 and 17w/8. Had wanted to do a fast parkrun on Saturday but due to the MP run I'll leave it until next weekend.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks for you comments guys.

I got out for a 1.2 miles this morning - just in t-shirt & sweatshirt and in lovely sunshine.  Then this after we did a run/walk (8 min run 2 min walk) for 1.9 miles then Chris started to have problems with his ankle which really swelled up.  He broke it about 10 years ago and we both think it's a bit stiff so I've pointed him in the direction of some ankle exercises.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Some good questions advice and comments on the thread. Also lots of good running.

Well done on everyones training image

done some training here in last couple of days.

yesterday was 7 miles MP (7:41pace)+ warm up etc

today was 5 the morning easy and 3x1mile Intervals @6:49 tonight + warm up etc.

no running planned tomorrow image

• Well done guys!

On rest day today, amazing how much tidying/cleaning you can do when you're so bored and all you can think of is exercise!

• Welcome Matsmum

Stewart well done on getting out for the 8

Tek nice running earlier onnthe MP work

NP nice 13 as you say building nicely image

Lyl dont run races with music as the crowds are always a good for motivation and , sure you get plenty of suppprt in London

AGF good work on the doubles and yesterdays run at mp, 6.49 is about what I want to get my pace sessions down to, how many weeks to go to your main race?

6 m tonight @ 8:06 , included 2 m @ 7.15 , legs a bit heavy to push any faster for those couple but got drenched again !
  • thanks MG. 12.5 weeks left image 

well done for a good session in the pouring rain !!

• NP, another good run building nicely image

SM, hope the rest day has gone well, that LR at the weekend is going to be a hard run

HM, well done with the run Hope the exercises help Chris

AGF, great session over the last couple of days, you deserve a rest day after all that, good pace during your intervals.

MG, you've not had much luck with the weather Gods, at least it wasn't too windy, good paces tonight

-----------------------------------------------------------

Meant to be 12 but did 11, 2 mile warm up followed by 8 @ MP and a mile cool down, first 6 of the MP felt comfortably hard but the last 2 were just hard, lots to do!

Splits 9:12, 9:01, 8:45, 8:51, 8:51, 8:47, 8:51, 8:39

• Stewart, 8 miles of MP in midweek during Marathon training is meant to be very hard.thats normal. Your on track !!

• Morning all, looks like everyone is gettinng back into the swing of things after ther new year, i did an 11 mile run last night, smallere run tonight though.

• macemace ✭✭✭

MG - good 10 in the wind - hopefully it's calming down a bit. Whats your MP ? 7.15 ish?

SM6 - your running is similar to mine at the moment - heavy legged, higher than normal HR

Fiona - nice double running 

NP - nice doubling also, and it's good to see you getting back in the groove. Where are you fitness wise at the moment ?

Lyl - re the hip, you'll no doubt pick up little aches and pains as you increase mileage and adapt. Like Tek says, the roller is your friend.                              

AGF - good advice  

Stewart - 8 @ MP midweek is a great effort.                                              

StuartG - good 11. Sorry, I missed your arrival here I think as there's been so many newcomers recently. What's your current plan / target ?  

Tek - good MP sesh, what recovery do you take ?

Still struggling a bit here. Tuesday 10, tight calf developed into a dull ache in lower leg which made things uncomfortable then eased off with a couple miles left. HR way above normal for easy pace and not a nice run at all. Didn't set the alarm Weds am to run and slept 10 hours which meant i had to do 14 MLR yesterday evening. Still harder than it should have been with HR on the high side but felt more controlled so hopeful i can run this off.                     

• Hi Mace, i am following an extended RW training plan, i am hoping to run a sub-3:30, but will be happy to finish as it's my first marathon. Waiting to get back home and back out on the road.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP good MLR yesterday

Stuart I know what you're saying, but I think the readings I get are pretty consistent (over time, although I agree comparing individual runs can throw up some anomalies). Hope the rest day did some goodimage

HM well done for getting out, and I hope Chris's ankle is less sore today

AGF well done on the MP run; nice double yesterday with some good intervalsimage

Lyl LoL nice rest dayimage

MG nice tempo section in an already quick run!

Stewart nice MP session - not surprised it felt hard given the pace of the last mileimage

Stu well done on the 11 milerimage

mace you're still lurgified - are you coughing anything up or is it just the nose/head?  Hope the calf niggle eases soon.  I did a standing 3 min recovery between the two intervals, but re-reading the thread http://can.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/90162 I should have jogged 5-10 mins instead; (it's one of the lesser spotted Hadd threads)...

---

Boom!  18 miler this morning at avg. 9:17mm.  HR avg. was 73% so more than 1% lower than last week, despite the overall 300m climb.  Progress!image

• Managed to grind out a not too bad 4.5miles last night, a bit slow but felt much better than my Sunday run. My cold seems to have almost cleared up now too so feeling much better all round. Might finish this marathon training after all, just need to catch up on the plan slowly. image 

• macemace ✭✭✭

Good luck Stuart

Tek, no lurgy now just niggly with the calf which is making things much harder than should be.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, his ankle is easier & I've suggested he do more ankle exercises at work.

------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Stewart great run last night at goal pace

Stuart G well done on your 11 yesterday

Tek boom indeed ! Great 18 under the belt image

Kevin W good work on your run last night, hope the cold is now going.

Mace hope the niggles clear up, but a good couple of runs all the same .

My goal race pace somewhere between 7.38 unlikely to 7.49 more realistic (3.20 - 3.25 ) , existing race pace from last october was 7.58 (3.29)

existing half M time 1.34

Still got allot of training to do between now and Stockholm at the end of May, what do you think?

Have still got October's M to aim for if I don't quite get there this spring.

6 m tonight @8.41 nice and steady with no rain and light winds imageimageimage
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 Well done with yesterdays run and todays, even better with no wind.

SC Great running yesterday.

SG enjoy your run.

Teknik well done with the 18 mile run todayimage and the progressimage

Kevin well done with your run, not easy after a cold and your right not to rush it.

Mace take care fingers crossed it will go.

HM4 you both been out running again?

MG1 The biggest break through for me was doubling up, If you run one 10 mile run it will take more out of you then two 6 or 7 mile runs plus thats 2 to 4 miles more each day. But build them up slowly i.e. 2x4, 1x5 1x4, 2x5, 1x6 1x5 and so on build the miles then add the speed into one of them.

Two 6 mile runs done today and building, rest day so back in the pool tomorrow image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice double day NP. image

MG1 sounds like ideal conditions at last for a run! 

Kevin take it easy with the cold.

Teknik nice long run - is that the 'weekend' long run done early?

mace careful with that calf!! Also sounds like you needed the sleep.

Stewart that's a cracking MP run.

Had a horrid run on Tuesday with dizziness and breathing problems but think it's just something that's on the go. Rest yesterday then got out tonight but parked my car a few miles away to make sure I did a decent run. Felt light headed so just ran to the club and back to the car! Nice to be out again.

F

• Yesterday it was lovely until 5 then on came the rain. 0 miles.  image

Today it rained 8-5 then a lovely moon and starlit calm evening. 5 miles image

Some good starts to the year for most folk

• AGF, speedy interval session yesterday great running image

SG, nice 11 mile run yesterday

Tek, great LR and HR is nice and low 

KevinW, well done with the 4 miles keep it easy until fully recovered

Mace, some tough runs hope the calf niggle goes quickly, and you're feeling a bit more rested

MG, nice run in what must seem tropical conditions image

NP, another good double day, and interesting stuff about doubles, in P&D the doubles in the up to 70 plan are both easy/recovery runs

Fiona, hope you're feeling better now, have you been unwell?

OH, nice moonlit run tonight, any sign of the northern lights up your way?

----------------------------------------------------

Easy run tonight at JS, took the 4 mile group and added a bit on at the end for over 5, Happy to plod along slowly tonight HR around 73% average but there was an incline or two to get the heart a pumping, paused the watch and lost around half a mile image

• NP thanks for the tips, the doubles make sense will start to use them Feb onwards , work is going to be pesky in the next two weeksimage

Fiona well done on getting out after that bit of lurgy

OH sounds like it was a nice run tonight, I think saturday is going to be clear and crisp image
  • Wind and light rain forecast for us Saturday ....

XC this Sunday ...

No Northern Lights here (even out in the country apparently - too many streetlamps in Kirkwall to get a good display ever)

Hope you're feeling back on form soon Fiona

You're really notching up the miles Tek image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona go easy and hope your feeling better soon.

OH pity we never got to see the Northern Iights eitherimage nice 5 miles yesterday.

MG1 you don't have to kill your self speed wise with these, you can build this in later.

SC nice running, the doubles are a great way to increase your miles and its funny but the second run always feels easier than the first run and thats the one I start to build the speed into first.

Swim this morning 64x25m front crawl, will get on the turbo later for 30 minsimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kevin W well done on the 4.5m, glad you're shaking the cold off

mace hope the calf is easier today

HM thanks

MG I think quicker than 3:20 for Stockholm might be on - are you planning on racing a Half this Spring?

NP nice double yesterday and good pool session this morningimage

Fiona hope you feel better soonimage.  I've moved my LSRs to Thurs/Fri as Sundays are now my club's tempo/race days, until our local Half in late March.

OH thanks - nice 5 miles in the starlightimage

Stewart nice easy JS run - I so often do the same thing on club runs!

---

3.5m recovery jog this morning at 5k+3" pace - really happy with the 63%maxHR print !image I'll celebrate that tonight with some intervalsimage

• Tired today. So power napped image

Also did 8 mile Jog.

So a question for you all. What's your favourite type of run?

mines either a 30 mine tempo or a 60 minute jog when somewhere new (for an explore)

bte... Boots.Com have 1/2 price sis gels for sale.....