The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• Evening everyone, looks like a lot of good running is going on, i did 5 miles last night with the middle 3 at MP, today is my rest day so feet up afterwork until tonights abandon ship drill.  

As for my favourite run, i have to say its the LSR, as it means i can get out of the town and off the beaten track, i try and do my long runs off road and on cycle paths if i can as we have some great routes near me and they all take you out into the countryside and away form the main roads.

• 2 runs of 3.6 & 3.1 miles tonight, with a gym session in the middle. The run home was a bit tough after lower body weights. Off to soothe my muscles at the pub!image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF nice jog and nap ! I think my favourite runs are 6 miles through the woods with the club (when I'm fit and don't have to check the HRM)image

Stu well done with the MP run

Stuart good training - enjoy the pub!image

--

Dragged myself off the couch to do my first double of the season - tonight was 0.5m w/up then 3.50m of rolling 200m/200m intervals at 6.27mm / 8.49mm.  HR stats much better, and I'm now worrying the battery in the strap must be dying...

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Not yet.  I'm hoping to get out on Sunday, will have to see if Chris comes along.

AGF,

Think it would be tempo runs.

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    30 mins turbo last night, up early to go to a Park Run will be the first sort of speed session and will let me know where I am, hope is for sub 21:00 just wait and see. I will then add some miles to it after, I plan on racing 5 or 10km every weekend this time round. My run I love the most is in fact one that will now become a MLR and that's my hill, the effort to get up is so worth the view on a good day but even on a bad day it's a real pleasure.
  • NP Good luck with the Parkrun, i have never done one, i will try this time home. Another 4 mlie run for me tonight on that wonderful dreadmill.

• Stuart - Well done on the treadmill run

NP - Hope your attempt at parkrun went well.

Tek - Nice intervals. Is 6:27 roughly 5k pace?

I have a question for you too... I seen on another thread you mentioning to someone that they could take their max HR as whatever they see at the end of a parkrun, and add 10. Do you really think that is right? I only ask, as using the highest HR I've seen recently over 5k and adding 10 (instead of what I currently use) makes a huge difference in the pace I'd be running at 83%.

Not that I trust the numbers my HRM gives me anyway.image

-----------

Meant to have done parkrun this morning, but went out to the shop at 7 and realised running wasn't happening this morning. It's like an ice rink out there. I'd not have made it to the end of the street without falling. Been to the gym, and then a swim. I'll get out for a run in a few hours when the paths look less suicidal.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM thanks

NP hope the parkrun went well

Stu nice 4m on the treddie

Stuart well done on the gym and swim - hope the roads are better later on.  6:27mm is the pace I need for a sub 20 5k, so it's "planned 5k" rather than 5k pace.  I can't remember where I heard that HR rule of thumb.  My tested max is 212, and my last few parkruns (which I only ever run flat out, sprint finish) peaked at 200, 201 and 205, so parkrun max +10 is a good estimate - but it's not a substitute for a proper test.  I know you hit nearly 200 on the Linlithgow 10k last year, so my guess is your real max is higher than the 200 you use. 

---

8m very easy with the club this morning.  HR dropping - 66%max avg at 5k+3' paceimage

• AGF, well done with the 8, my favourite runs are the mid week MP runs

SG, nice MP run

SM, shame about missing parkrun, hope the underfoot conditions improve later

Tek, well done getting your first double of the season, good pace too

NP, enjoy parkrun today

--------------------------------

10 mile run last night the last few miles were a little slippy underfoot in places kept it easy with average HR @ 73%

• Just a short swim so far. XC tomorrow and time for another longish run Monday ...
    Hail showers! image

Steadily building up the miles Stewart image

SM6 - hope thaw comes (out of interest, would the park run be actually cancelled?)

Favorite run - definitely off road, distance depends on mood :^)

• Tek - Nice HR on the run again again today!image

Cheers for the reply, I don't train by HR anyway so it doesn't really make much difference to me. It just seems pretty odd, for example, that you're running 5k+3, with a HR in the mid-high 60s. My 5k+3 is about 80%... Obviously you're significantly fitter than I am, but that seems a massive difference.

Stewart - Well done on the easy 10 miles last night.

OH - Good luck with the XC and long run. Looks like a tough couple of days!

As for parkrun being cancelled because of an icy course, as far I'm aware Falkirk was cancelled once because of ice, and twice they've not timed the run to encourage people not to run quickly on very dangerous patches. I've got a 59:59 parkrun time from last year because of thatimage

• Tek well done on the first double and this mornings 8, looks like things are moving forward for you image . Thinking of a half M for March time but nothing booked , would be useful to gauge fitness levels .

NP hope you met your target for the park run

Stuart G enjoy the machine !

SM6 nice cross training, hopefully the pavements have thawed

Stewart C good effort last night

OH well done on the swim, enjoy the XC image

18 m @ 8.36 , nice bright cool morning, felt comfortable so happy with that image

Fav run for me is Tempo, thats after recoveringimage
  • In terms of Long run - I aslo do 5k + 3mins. ( is normally sub 70% too ).  I agree with Teknik in terms of HR at parkrun etc. 

20 miles done today….all very slow indeed - (3:15) but I guess they are meant to be slow. At least its down. 54 for the week. Gym tomorrow !!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the 20 AGF and to MG1 for a great long run too.

Stuart I can't recall the last time it was so icy underfoot. My run today was just lots of tiny steps trying to stay upright, quite hard going. Helped two cyclists up who had landed in a heap on the ice on a road in town. Then heard a car go off the road on the same corner. 

OH I guess when the air is cold the sea does not feel so bad!! image

Stewart well done getting out last night. 

Teknik a great few days quality training. image

Amazing parkrun NP! image

20 miles for me today. Ran to meet a friend then ran together for a few miles before I carried on down the canal side - icy even off road! Not the easiest run and felt very tense most of the time trying to stay upright. Tomorrow's cycle has been cancelled which I am pleased about.

F

• Fiona - Well done on the 20, can't have been much fun with the conditions underfoot! imageBet you're glad about the cycle being cancelled! It was really quite strange here, usually there is at least some frost but this morning the paths and roads were all just completely covered in a thin layer of ice. 

AGF - Good going on the 20, is that 2 in a row? Nice mileage for the week tooimage

MG - Nice long run again!image

------------

6.4 miles tonight, didn't feel great but I expected that. Some MP nonsense scheduled for tomorrows run, if it's icy again it'll just be a slow run though.

• Well, last couple of days, thursday, quick 5k, reverse crosstraining, tabata and some leg strengthening exercises.

Yesterday, cycling and crossft.

Another rest today and will put a long run in tomorrow! image

Things to buy: A roller!

And advice on watches? Literally something pretty basic so i can track my pace and miles?

Well done on the training everyone, some miles definitely going in there!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps.

LYL enjoy your long run tomorrow.

Fiona great long run and 20 miles banked in poor conditionsimage turbo or run tomorrow?

SM6 nice running enjoy your MP tomorrow.

AGF great 20 miles banked and again in poor conditionsimage

MG1 another on going long on a Saturday great 18 miles bankedimage

OH nice swimming sir good luck with the long run tomorrow.

Teknik nice 8 miles for youimage

SG hope the treadmill run went ok.

Well up and informed that the Park run was off due to ice so me and a mate went to another one in Belfast we did a couple of miles as a warm up, there was abut of ice in places but doing the warm up showed us where these where. I didn't know what to expect not having done any speed work or fast running apart from the race on the 1st Jan and before that it was August in the World Police and Fire Games. Like always I went off to fast just under 6:10 for the first mile and 10th place on the second mile I slowed down a little only to see two young guns pull out putting me in 8th place and staying in 8th till the end for a time of 19:29 so happy with that. If you had said 21 mins after putting the back out I would have bitten your arm off for it. Still a long way off that 17:51 PB from April last year but it's a good start. Long run tomorrow up the hillsimage

• and AGF, definitely treadmill running for me with my favourite music, just time to zone out image.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Take care tomorrow Stuart, no way could I have gone any faster today so take it easy if icy!

NP great report image enjoy the long run. Hope to do weights tomorrow then 5.5 miles. Then going to look at off road shoes!! 

Favourite type of run? Can't believe I'm saying this but nothing like the buzz you get from a good set of efforts - short ones!! Don't mind if on the track, grass or road. image

F

• 5 miles easy this afternoon, I decided not too run this morning thinking that it would be icy underfoot, went out about 3 the conditions were not nice sleety rain and a little nippy I did enjoy the run once I got going, 10:14 @ 72% 15 tomorrow sometime in the morning

will read back later

• Looks like its still cold at home, good running everyone, its always hard for me to get out first thing, especially when the heating is on. I am planning on doing all my running early in the morning now, so i will have to force myself out.

Who else runs first thing? I try to leave the house at about 6:30 for my LSR.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

------

Stuart,

I tend to like to do that especially spring/summer/autumn.  Winter it tends to be mid morning.

• 15 with 8 @ MP (7:51 7:42 7:54 7:49 7:54 7:48 7:46 7:36) D&D

Terrible run, kept on slipping so HR for the pace is really high. Legs are absolutely trashed now. Couple of miles short of what I planned to do as well, although it's the session that's laid down in the book.

Think I'll go back to bed now!

50.7 miles run this week, 0.5 swam and 2 weights sessions. 12 weeks to goimage

• Thats good running stuart - no matter which way you look at it - Dont be hard on yourself - sounds like the rest is needed !!

• blimey, haven't had the chance to get on the thread due to work and had pages and pages to read

I started the early morning running a few years ago as it is the only way I can get it in - evenings are crazy with the kids and housework and I am generally a bit knackered. 

Had a good week this week, lots of swimming, running and bike, only 1 gym session though ought to try to do two. 

However, missed the window for being able to get out for my long run this morning, so did a turbo session (I had to stay home with the kids and get them to do their homework) - probably won't get chance this afternoon to run, have swimming this evening anyway. So, will try to head out a bit earlier tomorrow to get a longer run in

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

A tough run Stuart. I think my HR yesterday was around 10bpm higher for a slower pace because of the ice. It's hard work running on ice.

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the slippery 10 miler and nice easy 5 yesterday

OH nice swim and hope the XC went well today

Stuart I've been struggling for weeks but the HR has just dropped significantly.  Well done on today's MP long run - must have been really tough with all the ice this morning.

MG super 18 miler!

AGF well done for bagging the 20 milerimage.  Nice build up

Fiona well done on your 20 miler too

Lyl nice mix of training.  Hope the long run went ok today.  In terms of watches, I think you can pick up the old Garmin 205 quite cheaply these days.

NP cracking 5k pace - way quicker than you thought.  Hope you enjoy the long run today.

Stu like you, I like to get out early, especially for the LSR.

HM thanks

Mathschick enjoy the swim and I hope you manage to get a longer run in tomorrow.image

---

Club race this morning - a hilly and icy affair, and I nearly went over several times.  Not a morning for a tempo run!  6.8m @ 7.22mm - nearly a minute quicker overall than last year.  Happy enough but a long way off from target HM pace.

Week's stats: 62.5m in 9h18, avg. 8.56mm and 153 HR (72%max)

• SM6 thats a great run with the 8 at MP pace, nice weeks training

Mathschick looks like your shedule is pretty busy !

Tek good run this morning at swift pace , I sure the speed will come, looks a good weeks work doneimage

Rest today, 45 m for the week, 10 m run tomorrow early morning next up.
  • MG - Good weeks total, good luck with the 10 in the morning.

Tek - Looking at the elevation profile of that run, you can't really compare the pace to HMP. That looks like it's worth a lot of time compared to a flat 7 mile loop, I'd guess at about 90-120 seconds worth. Unless the half is like that? In which case you need to choose a flatter one for the sub 90 attemptimage

Fiona - Hopefully the ice was worth 10bpm or so for me too! Got another MP run in a fortnight, so I'll see then. Was quite a comical run in places, as I was running laps round the park. Just over half the lap the path was icy, and just under half I had solid footing. Everytime I came to the point where I was switching from icy to dry path I could physically feel my legs running away from the top half of my body!image

Good couple of bits of training this morning!

Mathschick - Sounds like some good training this week. Hope you manage a long run tomorrow.

AGF - Cheers, I think the lack of grip underfoot really done me in. But, hey, I done the run it says in my schedule, ran the pace I wanted, and never fell. I guess that should be a positive!