Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Morning all! (Actually afternoon here.)

MC - good luck with the gerbils! Gosh your boy has big feet - does he like swimming? Big feet help a lot! Hope you get to do all the races you have planned this year.

Loula - Sorry you've been unwell.  Hope you are feeling better.  I came to England for Christmas but only stayed a week as Turkish schools weren't on holiday then.

Chili - How did the pyjama party go?  Well done on all the park run participants.  My sister is running quite a lot now but I think Saturday mornings are difficult for her as her boys do an activity then. She says she may turn up one day!!

Hello to everybody else too!! Good luck with your Sunday runs, young or short!

Big son's 10th birthday today so living room has even more lego on it than usual! He also got a tablet from my parents which was a total surprise for him so he's a very happy boy.

Managed a 5 miler this morning with 5 lots of fairly fast 400m in the middle.

Birthday tea later and some violin and guitar practice as daughter and big son have music exams tomorrow!!!! (Grade 4 and grade2)

BFN! xxx

• Hello all

I'll apologise now as I cant keep up with everyone on this thread so no names.

Have had my best week to date having ran (jogged slowly) about 18 milesimage.

Did get a bit ambitious though on friday and had to stop jogging and walk home.

I could see where I had to get to as I live at the top of a hill with a church on it and it reminded me of lord of the rings where he's trying to get to the mountain with the eye on the top and it seems to never get any closer.image

Have to say there's a great mix on this thread from new starters to ultramarathoners.Equal respect to all.

• Disgusting behaviour Loula-not the type of pictures a gentleman likes to see! Please can the boys have some nice pictures of ladies?

Hi Chris well done on your 18 miles that is a great distance.There is a great crowd on this thread but watch out for Loula as she tends to lead people astray.

Talking of ultras I think I am going to do one the Weald Challenge trail race on 25/5.50k race to celebrate being 50.Then off to Frannyland the following day-rest for a couple of days and then run with Franny in Edinburgh.Come on Loula go for it.

12.8 miles this morning with the club.Felt good.

have a good Sunday everyone.

• 4 runs is better than none Chris!

• Chris, that is a greatly weekly distance and it is wise not to build up too quickly or you may end up with an injury.

AF - sounds a great plan! image

Jude - hope your sin has a lovely birthday and well done on your 5 miles.

I am celebrating 4years as a runner (well, slow jogger to be more precise) this week image

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Morning guys!

I hope you all had a good weekend. Mine wasn't too bad, spent working on the house and running/rowing!

I got out for my 10k yesterday, felt ok for the first 5k then lactic acid took over and my pace dropped right down! In the end in only took 22 seconds off my PB. It was a bittersweet run really, happy I've got a new PB but disappointed as its only seconds and not minutes!! Suppose I can't expect too much off 4 weeks semi dedicated training though!image

Franny - It wasn't a race, just part of my program so whether I could do it faster in a race or not i'm really not sure. Well done on the 10 miler!!

Loula - Not a fan of those pictures at all!! Anyway, my HM is near Blackpool in a place called Inskip. Time wise I'm not sure, probably aim for 7:30-8m/m. What events have you got coming up?

Chris - Well done on the training! I've done that a few times, jogged out and had to walk home or get my girlfriend to come pick me up! image

AF - Well done on the 12.8miler! Good distance. Good luck with the ultra training!

Chili - Happy running Anniversary!!imageimage 

Jude - Good luck to your children in their music exams!!

I need some advice, I've got this HM on sunday, which isn't part of my training program. If I follow the program my legs will get zero rest. I also have zero clue what's involved in tapering?  What do you suggest??

Have a good day! See ya image

• Afternoon

Nandy Well done on your 10k. Am sure you would have been faster if it had been a race as competiveness would come into it.image I would use The HM as your long run for this weeks training and do a couple of short runs to keep the legs ticking over. What should your schedule be this week ?

Chili Happy 4rth running birthday. Gosh your parkrun is growing fast. Well done

Jude Well doen on your run with the fast bits.

AF Wow an ultra the day before you come to Edinburgh. I thought we were running on the 27th???? I have taken time off the Monday and Tuesday that week Will need to work Wednesday but then off Thursday Friday.

Loula I like em pics imageimage very tasty Hope your feeling better and more energized.

Chris That is great mileage and well done image

MC Well done on the TM mile.What are the gerbils called and will he be responsible for the cleaning etc???

No running from me the last 2 days but hope to get out tomorrow for some intervals and to the gym for weights etc.

Have a good evening friends and happy running.

• Franny- I will be recovered by the 27th - as the ultra is off road! Would suggest we go 1st thing and (an hours run would probably be enough!!) Mrs AF can go shopping. Alternatively Thursday not sure what time our flight is. The Monday is the day we are travelling up.

Well done Chilli on 4 years running. I celebrated 4 years on 1/1. On 1/1/10 I ran my 1st 1.7 miles without stopping!! 

Rest day today- run 1st thing tomorrow as well as boot camp.

Jude-Good luck to your children and their exams.

Nandy- I agree with Franny. 

• evening everyone

wow, AF - from first marathon to ultra in a year image
    well done for all the anniversaries chili and AF

Nandy - I agree with what franny said re the HM

Jude - hope your son had a great birthday and good luck to the kids for the exams

gerbils are called Sam and George and have settled down into their new house. They belong to youngest son so he will be responsible for looking after them, with help of course to start with!

had a good weekend of training, but didn't sleep much last night so nothing today. Determined to go to running club tomorrow so may turbo in the morning

• Happy Running Anniversary to you too AF! image

Hope you enjoy your rest day MC & Franny. It's nice when you've earned it and know you are going to run again tomorrow.

I did my usual 5 miles in the rain accompanied by daughter No.3 on her bike because she needed some mum-time. I'm sticking with another week of 5 miles and then hope to start increasing my LSR from next week.

• evening all.

sounds like everyone is making good achievements. well done all.

I managed to talk myself out of my weekend run and was really cross with myself...but I MADE myself get out tonight and did 3.5 miles with crazy dog and actually I was having some niggles in my thigh which seems to have resolved with an extra couple of days rest so maybe my laziness wasn't all bad!

going out again on Thursday...image

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Morning!image

SW - Well done on the 3.5miles! What you think is laziness is probably your body telling you it needs a rest hence now being niggle free! image

Franny - The schedule this week is;

Mon - 4 miles easy (didn't do this as I had to pick a bath and toilet up after work)

Tues - 7miles - (1 mile warm up, 5miles fartlek, 1 mile cool down)

Wed - 9miles slow

Thurs - 6mile steady

Fri - Rest (My favourite day!!imageimage)

Sat - 5miles easy

Sun - 16miles slow

Which do you think I should do/not do/change? Another thing that confuses me is the terminology. To me, slow, easy and steady all mean the same thing!!

Chili - Well done you two on getting out in the rain!!

MC - I hope you slept better last night! How are the gerbils doing?

AF - Sounds like a busy schedule for your Scotland trip!! You're going to need another holiday after that one I think!image

• MC I hope you enjoyed your turbo session this morning and get to run club tonight.

Chili Well done on your rainy run.

Sluggish Wonder Well done on your 3.5 miles with crazy dog What are their names and what kind are they?

AF We will make it the Tuesday then. If Mrs AF wants to come she could go for a walk with my hubby and Chico around the hills whilst we run em. Don't know if that's her kind of thing or not but its just a suggestion.

I went to gym this morning and also did 30 mins interval training. Hoping to go lonish tomorrow maybe 11/12 miles.

• Nandy

That is quite an impressive schedule. I would run the HM as planned on Sunday and as you will be running it at race pace this will compensate for the 16 miles. You could always do a 1 mile warm up pre race and then if your up to it do a 2 mile cool down and that will give you your 16 miles. Keep the Wednesday 9 miler and do your 5/6 miler on the Friday so as you can have a rest day before Race Day.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing your fartlek as you will be running good pace on Sunday.

I am sure you will work something out to suit you.

My interpretation of Slow run is to run that at 60-90 secs slower than Mara pace

Easy is similar but slightly faster say 30-60 secs slower than mara pace

Steady Should be 20 secs slower than your usual tempo pace.

Have a good day and hope you work something out that suits JUST don't try to play catch up with missed miles as that is how injury happens.

• Sounds a good idea Franny- although Mrs AF is rather shy (unlike her husband!). Have four months to sell her the idea.I will definitely be running- probably an hour max as I may still be a bit achey if I do this ultra!! Good luck for 11/12 tomorrow.

SW-Well done on your run with your crazy dog!!!!   

Nandy-That is some schedule - I'm afraid that I am not good at following plans just tend to do what I want. Will be doing weekly long runs before the Brighton Marathon on 5/4. One of them may be a marathon 4 days after my birthday- a nice hilly one!!!

MC-Hope you get a good night sleep & run tomorrow.

Chilli-Well done on your run yesterday.

A nice early morning crispy 7.4 miler in 1.02 this morning which felt good- then killer bootcamp. Working from home tomorrow so will do a similar run tomorrow.   

• hi all

slept better last night but didn't get up early, going to turbo tonight and run tomorrow, missing run club, but I got home a bit late and have loads to do so would only feel stressed about the thought of needing to get out for a particular time

gerbils are doing fineimage they have chewed their way through all the empty loo rolls we have though so we need to find something else to give them - they have used it to make a little bed area - they must like that better than the sand/sawdust stuff we bought at the shop....

• H??! Just a quickie as I should be entering exam results at the moment.

Well done for all your runs and training everybody!

Kids music exams went smoothly so fingers crossed for good results. They should be here in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the good luck wishes! 

I went to the fitness room toinght: did some bike and some treadmill and other stuff.......Swimming tomorrow......

BFN xxxx 

• Morning! Anyone fancy a coffee and cake? Am procrastinating on my studies which are particularly hard at the moment.

Swim yesterday and planning to do another 5 mile run later today.

Very impressive schedule Nandy!

MC - glad you are enjoying the gerbils image

• Afternoon

Mmmmmmmmm Chili any of that cake and coffee left.............I am starving. Well done on the swim and hope you get out for your 5 miler.

Jude Well done on the fitness room.

MC The gerbils sound like fun.

Went out and did my Long run of the week 12.18 miles and the rain managed to stay off. It was very very mild for this time of year.

AF Looking forward to meeting you in May and will get a nice route planned. Would be nice if Mrs AF would go for the walk as the scenery is beautiful.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Speak soon

• evening all.

franny well done on your run. sounds very impressive! My dogs are called Bella and Flynn. Bella is almost 5 and is a staffie cross (not sure with what - she was a rescue dog!) and is a great running partner. Flynn is only 15 months so has only just started running with me. He is a border Collie and is big and strong and just a little bit crazy and likes to run about 5 times faster than me LOL

well done every one else on great runs, swims and bootcamps!

day off work today and fairly nice weather this afternoon so I got out and did 4.3 miles. feeling glad that I have got back up past 4 miles - feels like I am making some progress!

think I will enter a  localish 10k in March that I have done a couple of times, to keep me motivated then maybe something longer later in the year....maybe...not sure LOL

• evening all

back from a crisis meeting at work, arghhh

did run this morning though, 4 slow wet warm miles image

• Well done Sluggish Wonder on your run. Good to aim for a race to keep motivation up and soon you will be wanting to go the next distance as that will be a PB when you do it Your dogs sound great Chico is 15 mths but I only take him on shorter runs LOL and in the hills rather than road/canal as he would get too distracted.

MC Well done on your 4 miles during busy times at work.

Nighty night

• Flying visit...will post fully tomorrow.

Well done on every one who has been running. 6 miles yesterday, 5.6 miles today and hopefully a long one tomorrow.

• Hi

Just the 5 mile run for me this morning.

Hope everyone is well

• hi everyone

just popping in - another meeting at work, now making food/eating food/making food for kids/lunches for tomorrow etc before it is time to go swimming

stayed in bed this morning instead of my 5am run, but never mind!

• Hello all,  I am new to RW and have been running for a year - I'm not very fast but want to improve on my pace this year.  My 1 and only ever race is a half marathon so far.

I am not a member of a running club so its nice to chat and get tips from experienced runners on this forum image

• Morning folks

Welcome to the fun thread Jo Web- there are lots of peeps in CRAC towers who do all sorts of distances right up to Ultras.And we like to have fun and chat about anything. What is your next event? and what time did you do your half in?

Nandy-How is the training/tapering going this week for your race on Sunday?

Mathschick Sounds like you are very busy at work. Hope you get out your run soon.

No running today just gym session.

Hi AF, Chili,Deejay,Ecky,Jude,Loula, Chris,Sluggishwonder,Nandy,and everyone.

Have a good day

• FrannyT - thanks for the welcome.  I am definitely running a 5 mile in May and another half marathon in Oct, I will be entering some other races but I haven't decided which ones yet.  My time was 2hrs 30mins, slower than I wanted but I was happy as I had only been running 8 months at the time.

• Jo- that is a great time to be starting off with especially as you have only been running a short while and it gives you a baseline to improve on. Good to have events in the calendar to keep you motivated. Very well done.

Not sure where everyone is today but am sure they will be along to welcome you real soon.