Options

Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone!!image

Hope you're all well. Apologies for my absence this week, work has been super busy.

Jo Web - Welcome to the gang! Well done on keeping up the running. Like Franny said, great time to start with and it's always good to have something to aim for. Which HM are you hoping to do?

Franny - Training has been shocking this week with work. Been working late every night apart from Monday where I went to pick up a new bath and toilet for the house. The only running I've done this week is at football training on Wednesday night. I've not played for a few weeks so my legs are aching like mad! Only got my dinner at 4.20pm yesterday and just having my dinner break now!!image I've no idea how the HM is going to go now to be honest!

SW - Well done on the 4.3miles, excellent!! Keep up the good work.

I hope you are all well and keeping out of mischief Chili, Jude, MC, AF and especially that Loula!!image The weekend is almost here!!!!

• Options

Afternooon,

It's friday.........

Jo-Welcome. Hopefully we can inspire and help you.Bunning a 1/2 marathon is a great achievement & I am sure that you will get quicker and quicker.  

Nandy-Forgot whcih 1/2 are you doin. Good luck and hopefully you can supply us with the 1st race report of the year.  Please don't encourage Loula or we will have horrible pictures again!!! 

Jude-Hi hope you aer ok and not having to work too hard?

SW-well done on your 4.3 miles.

Franny-It's Friday and you have behaved so far.....remarkable.....image Hope you had a good gym session?

MC-Don't blame you for not doing a 5m miler @ 5am!! Hopefully you get some time for a run at the weekend.

Well I went for a 13 mile run today- never been so wet in my life- had planned to do the 12.75 mile route that we did last sunday. However, had to turn back around 1/2 was mark as we ended up in a flood up to our knees. So turned back and took it easy wading through puddles etc. Not quite the marathon training we had planned!! 13 miles covered in 1.59 so at least we slowed down!! My feet were frozen and felt like lead when I was running. Took me a while to get warm this afternoon.

Plannimng to do another 12 miler on Sunday.

Going out for a curry tonight with Mrs AF...a child free weekend beckons... 

• Options

Thanks FrannyTimage

Nandy - Thanks for the welcome.  I've signed up for the Cardiff Half Marathon again - I don't live there but I have family in Cardiff.

Alister - thanks for the welcome - I hope I can run a HM in 1.59 one day in normal weather!image

Wow everyone here seems to be super fit - I have much work to do!image

• Options

evening all

JO - welcome. A 2:30 half is great going

franny - yes, far too much work to do, it is getting on top of me a bit - and I am super organised and normally can manage loads, so god knows how some of the others at work are feeling.

got out for a 4.5 mile run this morning and did a turbo this evening too

didn't realise I was supposed to take the cakes in to work today so no cake image just shows I am swamped when I forget things like that. Made some muffins when I got home to use up the manky bananas and forgot to put the baking powder in. So more like a brownie consistency!

• Options

Morning

Was going to go to Parkrun this morning but just didn't feel like it so just went doggy walking to muddy park instead and then home for some bacon and egg roll.image

Nandy - I am sure you will be super fast on Sunday at your HM coz your leggies will be raring to go image

MC Well done on your run and turbo yesterday.

Jo You will run a sub 2 hrs HM.......just believe in yourself and train well.

AF Sounds like your run on Friday was interesting....I love runs like that image Hope you enjoyed your curry last night and have a good child free weekend.

AND yes Boss I am gonna be a good girlie this year..........imageimageimage even Loula won't be able to lead me astray imageimageimage

Have a good day folks

• Options

afternoon all

franny - that sounds like a nice morning

I have done my usual gym/spin/swim. I always come home starving after that!

Nandy - good luck tomorrow

• Options

morning all

franny - muddy dog walk sounds good!

AF - very jealous of child free weekend, enjoy!

jo - hi! Im new here too,

been out and done just over 4 miles today with Bella Dog. found it harder going than on Weds and got a bit disillusioned thinking of the days I used to head out for 11 or 12 miles at the wekends...BUT trying to stay positive and focusing on the fact that at least I got out there! Will have day off tomorrow and go out again on Monday.

Have good weekends all.

• Options

Welcome Jo! Great to have you join us. Yes we have a few speedy people like AF, Nandy and Franny, but some of us are slow plodders. It sounds like you are doing great.

Well done Sluggish, MC, Franny, AF, Nandy and everyone on all the varied training completed.

I did 5 mile run yesterday and then park run with two of my daughters today.

• Options

Good Morning,

I have some very good news.

I'm still a runner imageimage 

After my serious knee sprain and finding out I was missing my left anterior cruciate ligament,being able to ever run again was in serious doubt.I began my rehab a week ago,with some muscle strengthening excercises,and this morning I went for a make or break 1 mile jog.I jogged half a mile,rested 3 minutes and jogged the next half.My leg ached a bit,and I had a few dull aches from my knee,but no signs of sharp ligament pain.My muscles have really wasted very badly,so I was running very unevenly,but I was running.And when I stopped I was able to walk normally,and pain free.It's going to be a long road to full recovery,but I should be able to slowly get back to proper running and maybe be even better once I have built up my muscle strength.

I have found out the reason for my left leg issues over the years.The lack of an anterior cruciate ligament means my knee hyper extends a lot as I walk or run,and the impact gets transmitted through my heel and up through the lower leg as it should,but the extended angle of my lower leg causes it to all gets transmitted through my knee,without going up through my thigh and into my pelvis.This is why the left leg is much weaker.My quads and left glutes don't get the full work out that they would normally get as they don't take much of the impact.And my knee is being overworked.I need to really build them up to correct the balance and it should stabilise my knee.

So I have a lot of rehab work to do before I attempt to run another marathon in 2015.I have held off rejoining the running club,but I will do as I think I'm going to be able to properly run again soon.

I hope you are all having a nice weekend.

It's good to see some new faces popping up,so hello to you,and welcome to this very friendly little group.

So the first mile of 2014 is on the board.Hopefully there will be many more.image

• Options

DJ - great news image my knee problems also come from it hyperextending, and the muscle strengthening stuff is really working for me, I am sure it will for you too. Glad you have found out what is causing the problem.

I ran/walked 8 miles this morning image. Furthest I have done for a long time so really pleased. 

• Options

Hats off to you DeeJayimage.

To keep going when you have difficulties like that shows true grit.image.

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone!

Just a quick update before I go for a bath and a sleep!!

Did Inskip Half Marathon this morning. Got up at 7.30am after a very good long sleep. Got my breakfast etc and my OH came to pick me up at 9. The event is only about 30 mins from my house so we got there about an hour before start time to find a massive queue to get in to the venue. We ended up am right at the back. It was good marshalling and there was just enough space for everyone to park.

The weather was cold and wet, no breeze though which I was happy with. I went and got registered and went back to the car to get changed etc. made my way back to the start line, well, what we all thought was the start line anyway. We though the race was under way but after 100yds or so all these hands went up at the front and we all came to a halt again. It was a narrow country lane so we weren't moving that fast anyway, it was just quite confusing.

Anyway, the race officially started the second time and we were away. There were a lot of narrow lanes and country roads. The route was well marshalled and well sign posted for drivers, plenty of warnings about. About 4-5 miles in we came across our first bit of flooded road which claimed the first casualty. The road under the water was very uneven and a lady had gone over on her ankle and looked like she was in a fair amount of pain. Fortunately her partner was with her but unfortunately it ended both of their races.

I remained comfortable till approx 7 miles in and then started getting calf pains. I carried on as best as I could till about 10 miles where my left hamstring and quad started giving me trouble. This slowed me right down. My breathing etc still felt comfortable up till this point but my body must not be ready for the distance as just after the 12 mile mark I almost stopped dead in my tracks, managed to keep a fairly quick walk going till there was maybe half a mile to go and then I just went for it. Managing 5 1/2 to 6m/m pace. I was absolutely worn out when I crossed the line. I wolfed down the hot pot and red cabbage they were handing out to the finishers which was very nice! I was frozen solid, could barely move my fingers on my right hand and my lips went blue!! OH got me a hot chocolate and I sat in the car and got warm. I had a look in my finishers bag, we got a huge bar of chocolate, a beanie hat and a medal. It's quite a nice medal too! I'm not sure what my official time is yet but my garmin time is 1:50:11 which I'm happy with!! Still plenty of work to do mind but I now have a benchmark!

Anyway, enjoy what's left of the weekend people! image
  • Options

Afternoon,

DJ-That us great news. I can't imagine my life without running now.  

Nandy-Well done on your 1/2 marathon. That is a cracking time in difficult conditions.

MC-Well done on your 8 miler. 

Seems that there have been some real positives this weekend.

Managed to do 12.15 miles this morning at a steaady 8.40 minute mile pace- despite wading through fields!!! So 24.99 miles run since Friday. The old boy will rest tomorrow!

• Options

Hi guys!

Sorry I've been awol for a few days.  School has been extremely hectic as we have just one week to go before the end of our term.  I've been working late and trying to keep up with my gym sessions and swimming as well. Friday I caught a nasty bug but had to go to another one of my daughter's swimming competitions all weekend. It was very exciting and despite some very serious opposition daughter came away with 6 silvers.  It was a 50m pool so she didn't manage any PBs (25m are faster because of the push off the wall on the turns) but she was really pleased with how she swam.

Anyway!!!

Jo - welcome to you! Nice to have you with us.

DJ - so glad you are still a runner!! Now you know what the problems are, I'm sure the leg strengthening exercises will hope no end.

Nandy - Gosh sounds like a toughie! Brilliant time- well done!!

MC - well done to you too!

AF - well done on your run and your super mileage this weekend.  

Hi everybody else!

Hope to be well enough for my gym session on Tuesday as no run this weekend.

BFN xxx

• Options

Wow! What a super weekend we have had image

DJ - great to hear the positive news and that you are still a runner.

Nandy - superb race report. Sounds a great challenge

MC - that is great news

Jude - you daughter is amazing. And you are an amazing mum to keep up with it all!

AF - more wonderful mileage.

• Options

Hi All

Thanks for welcome and encouragement Matchschick, chilibean, Jude.  Jude you must so proud of your daughter she done so well.

FrannyT, thanks for the encouragement.  I know what you mean about the muddy parks, my poor dog has hurt his leg sliding on the mud chasing his ball.

Hello, Sluggish Wonder

Dejay - hope things work out with the injury.

Nandy - that is a brilliant time in the HM in such awful conditions.

I ran 4m Sat morning, passed Sainsbury and could smell the bread baking and on the way back ran past Costa and could smell all the fresh coffee - mmm lovely!!

Haven't ran today, had friends over for curry last night, ended up a bit of a late one!

• Options

Nandy - wow, well done. Hot pot at the end sounds great and just what you needed!

Jude - well done to your daughter. Just a week to go - bet you can't wait

well, off to swimming in a bit

AF - well done to you too

• Options

Woo Hoo NANDY..that is a fantastic time especially as your training hadn't gone well and that the race was a tough going.Well done for sticking in when the going got rough. I am hoping to go sub 1.50 this year image

Deejay. So pleased you have found a reason for your knee problem and am sure you will be up and running in no time at all.

MC Hope you enjoyed your swim

AF Wow what amazing weekend mileage.

Jude Congratulations to your daughter.image

Jo Well done on your 4 miles yesterday and quite agree that the smell of fresh baked bread would be very tempting and hard to resist.

Hope everyone is well and has had a good Monday. Have a nice evening folks.

• Options

Went for a short run this morning. Was supposed to be 5 miles but I have a bit of a cold, sore throat and slept even worse than usual. Since it was -1C I decided to do just 3 miles instead!

• Options

evening all

chili - take care and get over your cold instead of running

nothing involving legs for me today - but swimming tonight

very cold now, hope we aren't going to get snow 

• Options

Hi all

Ran 4m this morning, my daughter came with me which was good she stepped the pace up slightly, it was a bit cold though, pretty icy!

• Options

Morning

Well done on the running everyone

Chili 3 Miles is better than zero miles but please take care of yourself.

Jo Well done on your daughter getting you to pick up pace on your run

MC Hope the swim was good last night

I was at gym this morning and then was supposed to do 30 mins interval training but cut that short as really wasn't feeling that great either. Dunno why ?????

Anyway work this avvo for me until 10pm.

Have a good day eveyone

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone!image

Thank you for all the nice messages, much appreciated. I've just about recovered now. I'm happy with the time but know I can do better with a bit more fitness behind me. I've been looking at my splits and up till the 10th mile I was on course for a 1:45 finish but I've ended up adding 5minutes over the last 3 miles image.

AF - Well done on the 12 miler, good pace too!!

Jude - Hope you're feeling better after that bug! Congratulations once again to your daughter! You're definitely going to have to get that trophy room built!image

Jo - Well done on the two 4mile runs, can't beat the smell of baking bread!

Chris - How's the training going? You got your eyes set on any other events?

Franny - Thank you! I'm sure you'll go under 1:50 this year, when is your HM?

MC - Yes, the hot pot was great! The chocolate we got was even better though! I thought it was a big bar of Cadburys but it was Aldi's own and it is sooo much better than Cadbury!

DJ - Good to hear you now know the route of the problem and can now work on mending it!

Chili - I don't blame you for cutting your run short!! Not ideal conditions at all.

• Options

Sorry flying visit again.

Well done to everyone on their various exercises.

6.3 miles and bootcamp this morning..now catching up at work.

Speak later. 

• Options

evening everyone

franny - hope it is just one of those days rather than a bug on its way

don't like these cold morning when the car needs scraping....

off to running club tonight

swimming last night was really good. Just wish my abs and glutes would work together to support my legs!

• Options

Evening all.

Just used the Garmin to see how far it is to work and it's 4 miles each way which I do on the pushbike 6 times a week.image.

Out on sunday and my other half(the missus) suggested we add an extra km on to take it to 12km.This is up from 8km at the start of November and she tells me she'd like to get it up to 15km so where working towards that.

As for events the first one ever for the both of us is in March and we suspect we may get the bugimage and enter more.

Reckon I'm around the 20 mile mark now. 

Which is 14ish Friday and Sunday and 2 shorter ones in the week.

• Options

Morning all!

Chili - Am I right in thinking it's your birthday today? If so, Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a great day!

Hi to everybody else!

3 days to go to the end of term! Yippee!! Fitness room last night (5 miles on the treadmill) Swimming tonight......

Have a good day all.

xxxx

• Options

Hi everyone, just a quick intro.  I am a recurrent lapsed runner, in that I start and stop, and start and stop many times.  I am also overweight but since June thanks to Slimming World and exercise have lost 2 1/2 stones and feel better than I have in years.  I still have several stones to go though.  I am a back of a packer, but slowly getting faster, if you know what I mean!  I am doing London this year as I got a ballot place and it'll be my first.  I am also a regular at our local parkrun and that has completely enthused my love of running. Sorry to ramble (not such a quick intro!), but that's me!

Jude, I feel your pain!  We have three swimmers.  One swims for fun once a week but the other two are more competitive and swim 5 and 7 times a week.  And that's without galas...

• Options

bonjournio!!!! welcome to the newbies, Lainey , chris and (hang on a mo , gotta scroll back to see who else has popped in image) me memory aint what it was kids !!- and jo !!

hope you all enjoy this thread, bit slow at this time of year( me as well as the threadimage) but itll pick up as the horrid dark nights draw out.

well I kinda skimmed read ( as always when im blasting through the day and falling over myselfimage, congrats to Nandy on a speedy HM,well done sir, Deejay so good to have you back after all your setbacks too, Franny sis, im bit better now yes, think ive just been trying to do a wee bit too much over past few weeks so raring to go forth in training now!   Boss, when is your 50k? if its May not sure I can as I have an ultra end of April then NDW 17th may and off to Tenerife the week after . I was actually looking at cramming in the new ultra with White star running but it deoends when my flight is image.

Jude that's fabby that your daughter got 6 silver !! shes a little star! sorry you've felt poorly too, ive had a reet snotty cold which made running and breathing at the same time impossible !

eckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy how are you ma lovely ? *whispers* I fink a lickle rehab trip to Littlehampton is on the cards....don't tell Boss....shall I find the nip tassles or is a bit chilly yet?imageimage- I had to laugh when I read you  had gone into little eckys room telling him to put his Thomas the Tank engine pants away whilst he was talking to his gf lol!!image fab.

• Options

/members/images/531201/Gallery/2_0.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHILLI !!!!!!!!!!!!!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX