Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Just arrived today. I tried the fitletic hydration belt but didn't like it. Went home with a great set of ronhill clothing thoughimage short, tanktop and short sleeved shirt. Colorfull. Went for a short run in the evening with the dog. Will run and sleep tomorrow.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Bagel with peanut butter and sliced banana is always my pre-race breakfast.
  • Just been out for my last easy run before Sunday.... feeling happy about the running, but slightly concerned about the weather forecast! Showers and an easterly wind sounds a bit chilly to me for running along the coast image Still, at least we won't be suffering from heat exhaustion!

Porridge and banana for me for Sunday morning, plus maybe a slice of toast, depending on if I can manage to eat it.

• Me too MacFinbob, a very pleasant 6 k's from Portobello along the coast, nice to know that that's it, only the race to do now. Ran in my race gear, weather perfect although hands a bit cold. Might buy a cheap pair of gloves today. 

Picking up my number tonight, very exciting.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Yup, 3 miles done too. Wet now! Embracing the carb load though- Mmmmmm, second malt loaf breakfast!
  • SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Well - that's it! image Another Marathon training schedule completed (okay a few weeks were missedimage ) but last easy 4 miles done this morning and now ready for Sunday!

Legs feel good, calf sorted, cold almost away but should be gone for Sunday and just feeling rather chuffed that I am for the first time going into a Marathon with no major injury concerns to hold me back! It's all the sweeter considering I was on the operating table last September getting my ankle opened up, thinking there's no way I would be doing a Spring Marathon!  

Carb loading going well here too Madbee, managed to get my 700g in yesterday without feeling like an elephant at the end of it. Already had my porrrdge, bagel and jam and yoghurt for brekkie this morning! On race day I'll be having a bagel and banana, coffee and lucozade sport, probably all around 7am!

So, just leaves me to say good luck to everyone - whatever your target, be it sub 3 or just finish, hope you have a good one! Especially to those doing it for the first time - enjoy it! I'll look forward to reading back after Sunday for all the reports.

I'm going for the sub 3.45 - fingers crossed! image

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hey guys, local boy here, I'm doing Sundays race, it'll be my 10th Edi mara in a row! Unfortunatley, the weather looks pretty nastyimage, heavy showers and thunder/lightening - oh dear, not going to be very nice and I think support will be pretty sparse now in large parts of the race, so maybe have to rely on fellow racers to keep each other going and keep spirits up. Good luck to everyone doing the race, remember to take a brolly to run with! image

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Neil the weather does look horrible image I'm really hoping that the BBC has got it wrong and that lots of people come out to support us. It's my first marathon and I'll definitely be needing support towards the end!

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Just got reminded of this quote:

"Edinburgh pays cruelly for her high seat in one of the vilest climates under heaven. She is liable to be beaten upon by all the winds that blow, to be drenched with rain, to be buried in cold sea fogs out of the east, and powdered with the snow as it comes flying southward from the Highland hills. The weather is raw and boisterous in winter, shifty and ungenial in summer, and a downright meteorological purgatory in the spring. The delicate die early, and I, as a survivor, among bleak winds and plumping rain, have been sometimes tempted to envy them their fate. For all who love shelter and the blessings of the sun, who hate dark weather and perpetual tilting against squalls, there could scarcely be found a more unhomely and harassing place of residence."

Robert Louis Stevenson.

Think he gets it prettty spot on!

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Its not going to be any worse than what we've endured in training, in fact it i'll make you want to fininsh quicker to get a heat. 

All gravy baby.

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Not wrong there PJF! Will make the post race beer taste all the better afterwards for this man!image Have run in hellish conditions here before, and i'm still here in 1 piece, bring it on!image

• Last run done for me 3 miles and some strides, odd jogging rather than running.

Had a shave and close haircut to save a few more grams, ha!

Not too bothered about the rain as long as its not torrential, but really hate the wind, probably from the worst direction from what I can see on the map image

• Hello,

Does anyone know what would happen if I run the half marathon with a female event bib number being a male? Would I be disqualified, would anyone bother to check it?

Any experienced people can help me with this!? I have friend's number but it is a girl's one and I do not know what could happen if I run it at the end with it...

Cheers

• Just been for an easy 3.5 miles, that'll be it for me now till Sunday.  Now off to get a fish supper to begin my carb loading

• Had last run on Wednesday, really buzzing to get to the start on Sunday, and even more buzzing to get the the finish. Ran the Inverurie half marathon earlier this year in strong winds, hail, rain and sunshine. Brings the animal out in you, takes your mind away from the running part, and you worry about the weather instead, which of course, you can do naff all about. Just got my name on the front and back of running top yesterday, after some advice from someone who had ran a marathon before, now looks like I'll be wearing a jacket, oh well, I tried!! It may be thunder and lighting, it may be raining and windy, but one things for sure, we will all be buzzing come Sunday morning! Bring it on Edinburgh Marathon!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!
  • PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Steve Riddell... Control the controllablesimage Good luck mate and everyone else.

• PJFrizzle... I was just having a wee moment there!!! The superman suit has been taken off and locked away, I'm back in my slippers and Jammies with cup of green tea and a glass of water for a chaser!! imageimage

• Absolutely bricking it now! Had a nice wander round the Zoo in Edinburgh and a picnic today though to try to forget about it for a while. 

• Good luck everyone

• Last run completed this morning,just 15 minutes.  10:15, I'll hopefully be on the train with my girlfriend at Grantham station and on my way north.  I think tomorrow morning, the time between me getting up at 6 and the gun going off at 10, that'll be the worst part.  Don't mind running in the rain, just hoping the wind isn't too bad.

• One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭

This time tomorrow...................aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh

Good luck everyone

• Lyces... To answer your question. I don't know if you've done these events before but with timing chips, there's no registration or checks. Runners are left to their own devices to cross the lines and everything is done automatic without human involvment.  So nobody would notice, unless you finished first.

In my own opinion, if these events have a problem with people running with someone else's number, then they should officially allow numbers to be transferred so your running under your own name! It annoys me I can't get a place in events yet I've known people who pulled out.

• I'm now in Edinburgh. Watched the start of the 10k and the first few people finish. Seeing a lot of people in cafes wearing running gear with medals around the necks looks like a lot took part. Congrats. One thing I noticed is a few struggled to get to the start line on time!!!

I've now checked into my digs and had a walk around and found the start on London Road. It's just off the next junction downhill from the Playhouse and St James Shopping Centre.

Now have to get my running gear out my bag to make sure I've got everything before the shops close, pin the race number not my tshirt, print off the bus pass and make sure my Garmin / iphone is charged up (ran out of battery half way round one event). Might buy some phycological kineo tape and lots of pasta to stop me worrying.

I'm a little bit nervous as I feel like I'm putting myself under pressure a bit, as I've done more training than I've ever done before and I've the goal of an ambitious PB.

Good luck everyone, the excitement and sea of people will carry you around. Enjoy the atmosphere. Think of what can go right. I've seen worse wind and rain.

• Lazy day today and watching the Champs League Final tonight.  I'm also meant to be going to a pub quiz tomorrow night but we'll see how my legs feel!

Cheeseburgers for lunch I think.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Chilling out in our very swank apartment! Can't believe its tomorrow...
  • No idea what's going on with me at the minute.  Girlfriend disappeared on the train this afternoon and can't get hold of her, so if I still cant track her down by first thing tomorrow, I'm heading back down to Grantham To find out what's going on image

• Girlfriend text me from someone else's phone, still no idea where she bloody is but at least I know she's ok...I'm sure half my hair has fallen out with the stress image

• Odd one bud, did you guys fall out?

• No, everything going really well.  Went off to the toilet to take her medication and then never came back.  Still not shown up yet at the hotel bit hardly eaten all afternoon with worry, so just trying to relax and eat what I can.