Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Good luck tomorrow everyone, I'll be on the brown (charming!) start on London Road start.

Have a great race image
  • Been whipping myself into a bit of a nervous frenzy today - extra time on footy not even providing sufficient distraction! Bag packed, kit laid out - just need to get there and get on with it now!

Wishing you all a restful night (especially you Simon) and a great run tomorrow.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone - show time! image good luck, don't start too fast and have fun!
  • Good morning and good luck everyone image

• Looks like I over did it with the rain-dance I did in Melbourne before departing, sorry folks image.  Can't wait to get to the start area and soak up that marathon atmosphere.

Good luck everyone and I hope you all reach your personal goals,.......and don't forget to smile.

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Morning all, porridge time image. Good luck everyone. I'm going to be doing an anti rain dance until the start!
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭
    All the best folks. Gonna be soggy but stuff it, lets get jiggy with this marathon!
  • Best of luck to everybody today!!!!

4 am start from Newcastle and I'm now in Edinburgh ready for 26.2
  • Good luck everyone, I'll be at the start line but I won't be competing, there to see if my girlfriend turns up.

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Simon 83 hope she turns up.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Ohmigosh it is wet!
  • Well, how did everyone get on?

I finished 10 minutes quicker than my target, so I'm happy, but the most incredible thing for me was that the rain stopped about 5 minutes before I left to go to the start and started again about 5 minutes after I finished the race.

• Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Done it in 4 and a half hours. Delighted with that for my first marathon attempt.

Had a great day and it seemed everyone enjoyed.

Away to have a celebratory pint now!
  • SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone!! What a great day, I finished in 3.51 so not the sub 345 I was going for still happy nonetheless And still a pb. Really struggled last 6 miles, went off too fast - again!!!! But thank you to everyone who got me the through the last couple of miles, especially the guy in the yellow vest! I can't even remember the conversation apart from me saying I was on empty but you got me over the line whoever you were so thank you!!! Also, brilliant support, especially when the rain started hammering down at mile 24ish for me, thanks to all who braved it to cheer us on!

With you on the beer shout Rossi! Will be having a few tonight image
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Loved it. Didn't manage under 4 hours (4:06) due to the dreaded cramps starting at about 20 miles. But a fellow runner was brilliantly kind and helped me stretch them out. Thanks Lee you enabled me to keep going. First marathon of hopefully many.
  • Well done everyone, sounds like everyone's training paid off.

edit: just to let everyone know, I'm on my way home on the train.  Got a text message from my girlfriend's mum, she picked Amy up from Edinburgh hospital and driving home with her, her mum says everything is fine, she just forgot her medication.  Undoubtably I'll beat them home.

Well done again on everyone's running, I'm sure the pain and suffering and the cold, wet, miserable winter nights training paid off and made the marathon a little easier and more enjoyable.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    I completely loved every minute. Finished in 3:40 so 5 mins quicker than target and a massive 40 min PB bouncing! Well done to all!

Simon that's really bad luck - but there'll be another day. Hope all is ok when you get home.
  • Delighted to report I made it round. Ran with my friend until 20m then did the glory leg alone. 4h 22m. Target for us was 4.45 and friend crossed the line 4h 39. 4 mins off her pb. Can't believe the weather was so kind to us too!

I am soooo chuffed to have completed my first marathon image Had to laugh when text came through from emf about time along with a message about early bird entry for next year. Let me sleep on it!!

Well done everyone. X
  • Well done everybody!!!!!!!

I finished my 1st marathon today in 4:53 was hoping to be nearer to 4:30 but stupidly set off far to quick running 8.30 to 8.45 minute miles for the first few.

Got terrible cramp in both calf's (not happened before) at mile 16. But hobble along I did until the finish.

Over the moo
  • Nice one guys! I took it slow and then went full out at mile 20, unfortunately left it a bit too late and managed 4hrs 2mins, which is a tad disappointing but it was still a pleasant first marathon. 

• Anyone else get sunburnt? The weather forecast, and the cloud and drizzle at the start line fooled me... I forgot the suncream on what turned out to be a really nice day!!

I had a bit of a disaster with my knee, it started to seize up not long after 14 miles and I had to do a bit of a power-walk from 18 miles. Frustrating because I had the energy to run, but my knee just couldn't do the proper running/bending motion. Still, I made it to the end and did enjoy most of the course, with even managing a kind of hobble-jog across the line. image

• Yep I got a bit burnt, the weather really came through for us...until the downpour upon returning to the city centre!

Great day, found it a struggle from about 20m mind. Just so happy and content now to get another marathon under my belt image
  • PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Great guys well done, managed 3.21 a wee bit slower than I'd have liked but a PB. If anyone saw a guy crashing to the floor a la Mo Farrah at Port seat on it was me! Bursting my gels in the process.!!!! Any way a few scratches and some blood...all good in the hood. Glad you all made it round. you forget how tough the last few miles are in a marathon. In fact I've forgotten already and plan to sign up for another one soon! 

frizzle

• Well done everyone.  The weather was so much better than predicted, thank goodness.  I only caught the downpour on the way to the shuttle buses (could they find somewhere further away!!)

Did 2:50:33 which is close to my faster estimate so quite pleased, the last 4 miles were really tough as I had gone a bit quick after the turn, getting away from a big group which I was sheltering in.  I was 2nd vet 50 too which is great.

• Wow!! First marathon done! 4.34 chuffed to bits, had hoped for 4, but that was based on nothing else but wishes. Weather was very kind,And I too am sunburnt. What an atmosphere, thanks to all who supported, runners and supporters. Especially the old guy who was sitting just off one of the beaches with a simple sign 'YES YOU CAN' what a boost from a simple sign. Realy struggled from 15, lack of long miles in training I think. My mate was waiting at Preston Pans, and ran with me until the last corner, he was supporting and ran in jeans,shoes and ruck sack! Thanks Woody!! What a buzz when I ran the finishing straight! Found speed I never knew I had!!! Sitting with class of bubbles and a huge smile. Hope everyone finished and got there times, and more importantly, ENJOYED IT! 

Thanks to all who helped me with advice and encouragement on this forum. 

Loved today, but I think it's back to 10k's for me! I THINK!!!

Cheers 

• Well done everyone, some awesome times being reported.  First marathon for me and an official till of 3:38:46 which is a bit slower than what I wanted but there we go.

Really enjoyed the day and glad to cross the marathon distance off my list.

Just back from a few beers and a pub quiz and you could tell the marathon runners in the pub by the way they were walking!

• Hey all, 4.04 for me with a 1.52 half time, should have known to hold back early but there I go.

As this will be my last entry, a big, special thanks to runners world folk on this thread for the support And making me feel part of a community albeit from half a hemisphere away, (special thanks to Migitto,....hope you're enjoying a beer ot three tonight, you've earned it).

I spoke about my house fire but what I didn't talk about was a couple of losses we had in our family. In essence this meant half our house burnt down, my wife's mother died and I lost my father - all within six weeks. Couple that with training and travelling to Edinburgh from Melbourne, it was a big ask. 

Anyway, well below my 3.45 goal that I made in October. Might just have to come back in the next couple of years to redeem myself. In the interim there's the Melbourne marathon in October.

Cheers, Russ.

• I don't usually run for a pb, but yesterday's Edinburgh's marathon was one of those target races. As such I generally wasn't encouraging those who were struggling towards the end. I just had my head down but ignoring others didn't feel so good.

Got my pb, and am grateful for the fellow runner who give me encouragement even when I didn't know I needed it. He clearly saw something in my demeanour that I haven't noticed.

Back to running for pleasure next week and supporting anyone I can. Bring it on.