Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Wow! That was amazing!

My first ever half marathon, in fact my first ever run at an organised event. Only been running 5 months so really happy with a 1h 53m time. Really really enjoyed it, defo got the buzz now.

Bring on the next one!
  • pineapple toastie - bit of sunburn here too! Not feeling nearly as bad as I thought I would today - bit stiff but otherwise all good. Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum - I've enjoyed sharing the experience as part of this wee "club" and really appreciated  all the encouragement and advice re blisters, my hamstring injury, fuelling, parking etc. All came good on the day - having checked my result online it appears I even managed a negative split!

Oh well, early bird entry for next year it is then...see you there. image

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the song, Uluru 

http://t.co/jGSiA5eOLT
    Great marathon song!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Congratulations to everyone who completed the marathon. image

I scraped through with a PB. So my time was 4 hours 50 mins 33secs. Maybe I went off too quick, but it didn't feel it. My half-time was 2hours 12mins 02secs. So I could have done better, but my legs were getting painful.

Hope that everyone who missed out for whatever reason will have better luck next time.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

The weather was strange. I am really glad that the forecast rain did not happen. It got quite warm ( when I was running image) and I also got a bit sunburnt.

• Congratulations everyone, the suffer-fest is over.

It was great to see so many people and a good atmosphere. Thanks to all the crowd that lined the road.

I hope all you runners are feeling alright this morning and recover soon. A lot of us (me included) were in rag order towards the end. Don't know why but I struggled on this one.

Amazing result by David Toniok who won it with a time of 2:15:33. How does he do it? Congrats Keith Dowson (posted above) with your 2nd place vet over 50.

Was a good weekend, except I hope EMF sort out that bus service for next time.

• Its getting so slated on the facebook site and out of 4 people rating it for this year none would do it again.

Apparently the goody bags (such as they were) ran out.

My missus was pretty pissed off about the transfer etc

• The only let down for me Keith was the bus service. 

I bought a bus ticket from the official EMF website. There were buses right outside the finishing area that pretty much stopped where my accommodation was, after cueing up for the bus I was told it doesn't except the ticket I bought and my bus is a mile and a half walk uphill.

After catching the bus for my ticket, it only went on one route and stopped nowhere near by accommodation (also booked through the official EMF website), leaving me with another long walk.

How would I improve this. 2 ways...

1). Make the official tickets sold on the EMF website universal, by arranging for all buses near the finish area to accept it. 

2) Or reverse the course and do what the Loch Ness Marathon does... Bus you out at the start so you run back and finish in the city centre.

I've read a few comments from previous years that it should be renamed the East Lothian Marathon image

• Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the shuttle buses. And congratulations to all for the PBs and the fast times image

I thoroughly enjoyed myself even though my pacing was slightly all over the place! I ran with a friend for the first half and we had a great natter. I saw my parents in Musselburgh & handed over my long sleeved top that was too hot by that stage. Unfortunately Suzie's knee gave way just after the half way point, so she slowed up & I did the rest on my own. By the turn at Gosford House my hamstrings were seizing up so I had to walk off and on from there. But by mile 23 after a caffeine gel & a bit of a stretch I managed to run the last few miles. Once back in Musselburgh that last roundabout with the huge support gave me such a lift that I flew to the finish and was sprinting for the line!! Finished under 4:30 in 4:26:19 which I am very happy about. I found the crowds on that last stretch were OK & a boost, but I can see why it might have been tricky running in that narrow strip.

I now have a blister on a different toe on each foot & general stiffness, but pretty chuffed about the whole experience. I was so pleased that I did not get rained on at all after the start (although my parents did at around 1 o'clock) so being slightly slow was an advantage image

The only disappointment for me is that there are no official photos of me at all (not that I'd have bought it) but it would have been nice to see!

• Great results everyone, and congratulations on finishing to all.

I managed 3:41, 4mins ahead of the 3:45 target time and also 12mins PB from my first marathon. Very pleased with it image

It's been a pleasure reading and participating in this thread - hope you all enjoy your rest days now, recover well and enter another marathon soonimage

Happy running.

• ClbClb ✭✭

Well done everyone! Great times! I had a great day, managed 3 hrs 57, so pleased! I ran london 6 weeks ago in 4 hr 14, but stuck with my running partner who struggled from mile 18 so delighted with sub 4 hrs for my second  marathon! 

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I read some complaints on the Edinburgh Marathon Festival Facebook page. I experienced no problems, except for the long walk to the shuttle buses!

Some people may have taken two t-shirts by mistake. I know one who took one first, then asked for a goody bag, and not realised there was one in there as well. The handing out of them should have been better organised.

How are people feeling? I have just about recovered. Much sooner than last year.image I could almost go for a run now.... but it is raining!

• Not publishing the results is a farce. How does this effect those who got a GFA time? Can they still use it if the results are not public? 

• Not having times published is a real pain, it was the main reason I eneterd to get GFA for London before the cut off.  They say in the FAQ it gives you eligibility for Boston, how could they do that and not London. 

Apparently not publishing the results is against IAAF rules, according to someone on twitter.

On the buses, the walk was a pain, surely they could have shuttled them down to the finish.  However what was worse is it took 2 hours to get there, I ran there faster which meant my wife missed me.  There were inadequate signs to the buses so were difficult to find.  Some people missed there partners finishing apparently.  There was no one when you were dropped off so I had to guess which way to go (went wrong).

Not that I am motivated by goody bags, but it was the worst I have seen, not even a banana!  And if it was your first marathon it would be a very poor experience

• I saw that on twitter too, I would report it to the IAAF. It makes a mockery of the hard work people put in to get a GFA time, and also doesn't allow female entrants to know where they came in the race. It is supposed to be a race not a fun run. I was contemplating Edinburgh for next spring - but I won't bother if this is their policy. 

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

A wee bit sore today but getting there!

Keith / Madbee and everyone else who nailed it - awesome work - well done! For those who were slightly slower than they wanted (like me!), bag the experience and take it forward to the next one! I've promised myself I will do that next time!

Shame to hear the stories of people having bad experiences, I did think at the end after I crossed the finish and the medals were getting handed out willy nilly that there would be problems with the later finishers but it's quite criminal to run out of stuff! I don't know why they can't just stick it all in a bag?

Well thanks again to all for the support and banter, will need to go and annoy people on the GNR thread now as that's the next one for me. See you all around!

Last word to Russel - Excellent work mate! First of all sincere condolences. Considering all that happened, I can only imagine how hard that would have been, without the added stress of a Marathon half the world away! You have my total respect and I wish you and your family all the best for the future. Safe journey home, I did enjoy my beers and who knows, we may "meet" again sometime in the future on another Marathon adventure!  Take care of yourself mate!

• Well what can I say, I did it. After a hip injury which resulted in only 4 runs in 6 weeks my aim was just to finish as opposed to trying to set a fast time.

Finished in 4:39:24 so slower than the 4:26 that was aiming for but I crossed the line. Felt good through first half in 2:06 but started to struggle fromile 15 and had to run/walk.

Signing up for next year as know can do better, enjoyed the day and the support along the route.

Just a shame about the buses at the end , my wife was parked in Wallyford so a 2 mile walk after running 26.2, was a bit hard.
  • Just signing up for Nottingham end of September, long shot but anyone else doing it? I've got a whole new 4 month training program to do now, was hoping to be back to my normal weight training from next week but looks like my plans have changed.

• I've committed to the Yorkshire Marathon on 12th October.

Just 4 months to go!
  • Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Made the long trip up to Scotland from Devon for this one and did enjoy myself, thought the scenery at times was stunning and the support along the route brilliant. Managed 3hrs 21, not a pb but a few beers during the week/Saturday night and the bloody fire alarm in the hotel going off at 1.30am and had to stand outside for 20 minutes plus my mate getting up at 6am for the half certainly didn't help. Was a bit mental at the end with the torrential rain coming down at the finish then walking to the buses, i didn't even have a ticket but got on the bus with no problems. Thing that pissed me off the most was after cleaning up at the hotel we decided to go for a few beers and one pub refused to let us in because we wore jeans and trainers.. Think the doormen thought we were Hibs fans or something. 

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

I'm looking for another marathon to do this year too. Just seen that Yorkshire is sold out, but I've put my name down for a place on the waiting list. Nottingham would have been good but my best friend is getting married on 28th so she'd have serious words with me if I missed that!

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I have contacted the IAAF asking them what their view is on not publishing results for one of their bronze level events. Perhaps if they are bombarded with enquiries they will have to take notice of it. The link is on the other Edinburgh Marathon thread.

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭
    Psimon wrote (see)

Kenbro,

I used the following link

http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/contact-us

Also I suggest tweeting using @iaaforg

• Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the lad running the marathon in flip flops... he overtook me about 17miles in and looked good. He must have got a sub 3hrs 10...

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Wow that's amazing and slightly crazy! I did see someone running barefoot, he must have had very tough feet...

• If it's the same guy my mate past in what he thought were flip flops his t-shirt had the slogan "They're not flip flops" on the back...

He also saw somebody running barefoot and we both winced at the thought of the gravel section after the turn.

• I've never understood the running barefoot craze. Is it just a gimmick to sell a different style of running shoe?

If you under pronate or over pronate and pounding out mile after mile. Surely a well cushioned and supportive running shoe is better. My heavy clumpy Asics still got me a 3hour 9minute finish at Edinburgh.

I know one or two friends who tried it and it wrecked their calves.

Interestingly, I've never seen anyone win a marathon or olympic gold medal while barefoot. Surely that tells you something. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, The flip flop, not flip flop guy finsihed 3.13. I finished 3.12 and saw him on the exit and had a chat with him. He seemed pretty happy and said he had problems before and went on to this style of running and has felt great since....his feet were a mess though!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Any other injuries to report?

I saw some casualties, more so than Brighton. But that is probably because you could actually see more, as there were less barriers and crowds. One guy was leaning against a wall appearing to be sick. But then, the next minute he had collapsed. I went over to see if he was OK, but very soon other people were summoning help.

My legs had been aching a lot, but recovered soon after. My feet are not a pretty sight, though; they are still feeling rather delicate.