Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Colin, that's good advice from Miggito and Rich.  Stay slow on your slow run, it's all about time on your feet and burning fats efficiently.  You can do faster tempo runs in the week, and long intervals at faster target Mara pace if you fancy.  But keep the slow one pretty slow. Plenty of training weeks ahead, and when you get to a 20mile Long run, that will tell you a lot about setting a couple of A and B targets For race day.

I've done the Ed Half twice, and yes, seeing the faster runners coming back towards  you near the Musselburgh Stadium bit is phenomenal.  

miggito, how funny, I'm 39 for this race but will be 40 for Ed!  How was your 8-miler, not too fragile of head?

am enjoying the training chat, am in taper mode and finding it tough NOT to put trainers on! Russell, do a llittle run, start early! Joking, the heat sounds monstrous.

everyone else, are you eager to get started?  Anyone doing a 12 week plan and just running to feel for a couple more weeks? Or all working with 16 weeks?

• Also did you get your sub 40 in the 10k Rich?  I still can't squeak under 50!

Uluru, I looked up The Grizzly, oh my word!!

and someone's got an 18miler tomorrow, I think Simon?  Look fwd to the update, it's a biggie.

Kathy, thread founder, you getting on ok?

• Yeah I got the sub 40 by 1 second, boy was I tired after that one! got 16 today, doing it after lunch! Got to do it in 2:15 according to my schedule(the bible)image

I am in week 5 though so had some good runs to date, this will be the longest to date.

You'll get there Katheryn, I was running 50 min 10k's around 8 years ago.  You'll just get better with time and patience. At 37 now still getting P.B's is definitely a good thing.

The more you run the more tips and experience you receive! this is a great site for all those things. The threads are great also image

• Yep, 18 miles tomorrow Kathryn which I'm dreading a bit.  I'm going to try an 8:45 pace which if I do well tomorrow with then I'll be very confident to beat 4 hours in Edinburgh by a good margin, there's also a lot of training to get in between now and Edinburgh so hopefully I'll only get quicker.  So 8:45 for a good 15 miles, I'll be very happy with tomorrow.  

4 hour pace is roughly 9:15 a mile, so I might be saying 3:50 goal or quicker closer to the time image.

The thing with this training program I'm doing is that I did 15 miles 2 weeks ago that I definitely dreaded doing and I've seen I'm doing another 15 miles next week and I'm suddenly thinking "thank god it's only 15 miles", then a half marathon "race" the week after that which I hope to do at about 8:20 pace which will definitely be pushing myself hard.

On a side note, whats the most accurate way to measure training runs as runkeeper on my iPhone is generally pretty accurate and other times a complete and utter mess e.g. on my easy run this morning, I did a 3:15 minute mile...

• That's me back from doing my 16 miler in 7:53mm average. bit quick and should have put the brakes on but went with it! felt good today! first time since I started the schedule! 2:06 not bad and on track!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Kathryn, I am doing OK thanks.image  Been fairly busy at work, but have done more exercise to hopefully improve my running.

Really hope you enjoy Dubai. Looking forward to reading your race report.

Hi Russell, hope your training goes well. Do you mainly train indoors to avoid the heat?

To those who are in the middle of their training already, Simon and Rich amongst others, I hope it is going well. Maybe I should start my plan nowimage

• Simonp83, Can't recommend a runner's watch highly enough. I used to use my phone too, but the hassle of start/stopping accurately was a real pain. The last straw was failing and landing on it. The screen didn't take it to well.

As for training plans, personally I can't seem to find something that I can gel with, as a shift worker, my nights and days can be a little screwy.

My first marathon last month was done with plenty of LSRs and over confidence. Having said that, I got around Portsmouth to plan in 4:22 so was very pleased.

Attempting to repeat that performance in early April, then up my game for a sub 4 in Edinburgh.

Good luck all.

• 18.2 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes roughly, battery was very low on iPhone so stopped the logging at 17 miles and 2 hours 40.  Everything was going smoothly till around 14.24 miles which is when I needed to walk a little, was a bit sporadic after that, but 14.24 miles is the furthest I've ever run non-stop.  Set off a bit quick, said I wanted to do around 8:45 but set off at 8:20 and then slowed gradually to about 9 minutes once I hit 12-14 mile mark...part of the reason is that when I relax, I run at 8:20 so have to consciously keep myself slow which I'm forcing myself to do now and not trusting the split pace on my phone as it can be a bit sporadic even with me keeping a steady pace.

It does take me as long to recover from a run where I've pushed the distance beyond what I'm used to as it does to do the run, just eaten half a raspberry trifle, pint of milk, 2 pints of water and picking through a fruit platter as I'm lying in bed all warm and cosy.

• Oh, if anyone wants to follow my training, my name on runkeeper is Simon Peart and email is peart_2000@hotmail.com,]speart_2000@hotmail.com, feel free to add me.

• Rich, there's nothing to beat the satisfaction of a run where everything feels right is there? Simon, 18 miler, fab, but why did you stop at HALF THE TRIFLE?!  And re running watches, mine was a revelation, I only have a fairly simple Garmin with foot pod, not even satellite, but it's been perfect for what I need ie. Pace, distance, and just seeing my own progression over last couple of years.

I did 5k tonight, nice gentle pace, and it felt good but golly I wanted to do a bit more.  This taper lark really does require a bit of discipline.

Portsmouth - was that quite a coastal race,min tough weather conditions?  I think I know someone from running club here who also ran that one while at home for Christmas.  She enjoyed it but said quite a few folk dropped out.  Hope I'm not at cross purposes here.

Do it Kathy, launch the plan!  

• I would if it was a cheesecake image.  All this running has done wonders with my weight, down to 210.8lbs and 11.8% body fat so I'm happy.

• Evening all, Glad there is an active forum going. This will by my second 26.2. Did EMF in 2011. 03:58:38.

Will try and cover off some of the questions asked in the thread from my point of view.

I followed a plan and will do again using "Smartcoach" off the runners world website. It worked last time so should do again. The first one had me running only 3 times a week. Might try and squeeze an extra one in this time but discretion will be the watchword.

Split the race into 3 sections. 1 Get to 10 mls feeling like you just started. 2 based on how you feel "run" the second 10 to plan. 3 hang on like hell for the last 10k.and smile like you mean it !

Am just training now so I can start my 16 week plan in decent shape. Did 10.31 mls today in 01:35:13.........Hoping to nip under 4 hours again..............Good luck with the training everyone...Nice to have a chat...........I'll be back !

• One20Four, so your first 10 miles would be classified as an easy run then and run your 10-20miles at the pace you would normally run at and then the last 10km is all about seeing what you have left?

Could you give me an idea on the sort of pace over the 3 sections please?

• Technically I'm still in pre-training for this... so just upping the LSR miles without worrying about pace. image Managed just under 11 miles this afternoon but very slow with an emergency bathroom trip halfway.

I learned something important from this run. I must not eat (too much) curry for dinner the day before a run, it does me no good when it comes to being energetic and my digestive system doesn't appreciate it. Sorry if that's a bit TMI!

Proper training starts in February but I'm roughly following a plan for a half-marathon at the moment just to give myself a little more structure to what I'm doing. Without a plan I'd probably just run a couple of 5k's and then hope for the best on the day.

Having it written down that I need to get off my arse and out the door definitely helps!

• Good evening all,

great to see so many runners posting regularly in this thread! My EM is kicking off tonight, 4m at easy pace, x-training tomorrow, intervals with my running club Wednesday.

Have a good week everyone, stay injury-free!

• Simonp83.......just meant you should feel ok at the 10 mile point.......if your struggling then the next 16 might be tough !...................My plan was, and probably will be next May, is to even split as best as I can...........so for a sub 4 the plan was relatively straightforward (if running 26.2miles can ever be described as straightforward !!). Get to 10 miles in 90 mins then be through 20 in 3 hours which leaves an hour for the last 10k. That gives you a bit of slow down time if your struggling in the last couple of miles (as happened to me) or maintain the pace for a really good time. 9.09min/mile is 03:59:59..................Even split as best as you can ..................neg splits are for the fast folks!!!!!!!!!

• Hi all, started my 18 week program yesterday (Monday), started with a rest day so got through that OK. The plan I'm using is a modified version of Susan Hobson's mara training plan (3.30) for the 2010 Canberra mara - if anyone's interested google said key words and follow your nose to find the program - link on Coolrunning thread. I'm aiming for sub 4 hrs and this program has worked well for me in the past. Planning to do 5x runs & 2x swims p.w.

Also sworn off the grog for the next 18 weeks. First test last night, my wife's birthday and despite some friendly but testing banter from friends that tried to weaken my resolve, managed to stick to water. Next drink at the beer tent at the end of the Ed Mara!

Mercifully the weather has cooled here and running is pleasant again. I do all my training outdoors Kathy - either stupidly early or ridiculously late if its hot to avoid the sun. Tried running machines that I think are great for interval stuff, but prefer running outside. Kathryn, good luck with remaining taper - it does seem counter intuitive to work so hard for so long then cut right back at the business end.

Enjoying hear'n about other's mara plans, agree with Pineapple toast about the structure and further, confidence that a good (proven) plan provides - can't wait to hear progress reports - Now out the door for a lunch time run.

• Morniong all, everyone seems to be doing well - hope we're all in the same position come end of May! image I got another 6 miler under my belt this morning,

Hi Kathryn, did my 8 miles LSR at the weekend and felt great, it was a real confidence booster as you tend to think when you're not running that you wont be able to do it again once you start back so I'm well on track to start the proper training program in a couple of weeks. How are you feeling about the big 4-0?!? I've got 3 weeks of partying to look forward to starting this weekend, which might have a slight impact on my training schedule but you're only 40 once right?image

Russel, always knew you Aussies were a little bit deranged but no booze for 18 weeks, I would love to be that disciplined! that is why I will never run a sub 3 in my lifetime. I'm going to stop drinking in May (as long as there's nothing on!)

One20 - I agree, the only negative thing about my splits is that the second half is always slower!!

Pineapple - that is one of my golden rules - never run the day after a curry - ever!!!image

Cross training tomorrow morning - I'll be a machine by Marathon day! Have a good day all!

• Hi all. For my first week of my training plan over and done. Overall felt good. Saturday was a slow 3 miles and then a 7 miler on Sunday. Meant to be keeping to a 10 min mile pace but averaged out at 9.30 for both. Running club tonight so slight variance from the plan as that is anything between 6-10 miles but will ensure take nice and easy, unless it's the 5 mile handicap which may try and do in under 40 mins, week 4 target!!
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I have started my training this week. The first week starts very gently, which is good because I was tired tonight. For the first seven weeks, the Sunday' long run' is described as 'run/walk', which is new to me.

Can anyone tell me, to be effective, does the strategy need to be planned, or do you just take walk breaks whenever?

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Have people been thinking and planning about their nutritional needs?image

Last year, I definitely had an increased appetite during the weeks of highest mileage.

On Sunday, I went along to a workshop 'Preparing for a Spring Marathon'. Quite a lot of it covered nutrition and hydration, which I am sure we are all aware of, at least in theory. The importance of this, with sunlight to provide Vitamin D, and also sleep, were outlined.

So I should go off to bed , now.image

• Nice string of new posts image Well done to all of you who are either out of the starting blocks with 'official' training now, or cantering along nicely and no woes to report.  Good! 

Nutrition will be a great subject to explore / share meal ideas over next few weeks.  I haven't changed my diet drastically in last 2-3 months, but i'd like to be a bit better informed re optimum choices between now and May.  Have at least managed to only gain 1-2 pounds in taper period, and that's from reduced running, not falling for the myth of too much carb-loading, so I'm comfortable with this very small gain.

I'm running vicariously through you all this week!  No more runs for me til Friday, keep the positive training updates coming please

And Miggito - early happy birthday extended weekend!

• It's cold and raining. I do NOT want to go for a run... but I skipped yesterdays run because it was cold and raining, so off I go.

I'm already hoping for a warm (but not hot) sunny day on the 25th May!

• Had a nice easy 6.2 miles with the running club last night and then a 4.2 miler in my lunch break.  Still struggling with my pacing though, pace for the 6 was 9.36 and for the 4.2 was 8.59, meant to be trying to maintain a 10mm pace according to the plan I am following.

Any suggestions on how best to try and maintain pace, at the moment seem to average out @9.30 pace but keep having splits where might be running @8.30 and then having to slow up.

One thing I did learn today, don't eat muesli mixed with Nut Granola for breakfast, even at lunchtime it sat heavy in my stomach and I felt like it was going to come back up by mile 2, lesson learned!!

• Hi Colin - is there anyone in your club who'd welcome a tempo run at 10:00?  You pull them along and help stop them flagging, and they're a great pacer for you?  Obv not too many miles at tough tempo speed for your buddy, but you could maybe do a few miles together, then you go off solo, and it's less of a disaster if you then end up picking up the pace when you've already banked a few slower miles?

Sorry it's not very innovative.  I have the same tendency of pace drift on slow runs, and I've only overcome it by doing LSR's with my running club and their consistent group leaders.

I've also heard about mini 'metronome' type gadgets that tick while you were run, to keep your cadence even.  To be honest, I think that would send me round the bend though!

• Hi kathryn - I keep trying with 2 of my running club members but they keep slowing down to around 11 - 11.30 mm and dont seem to want to be pushed so i end up leaving them and picking up with other runners in front that are running between 9 -9.30 pace, i find this comfortable for me.. Hopefully with the tempo and interval training I can try and get used to an 8 min mile and look forward to a decent time, however as a goal to achieve sticking to the 4hr marathon plan.

The group leaders for me tend to run at a 7.30 - 8mm pace and this is abit too fast for me at the moment, but hopefully with the training will get a bit closer to some of them image

• I skipped my run today too, it was hammering it down this morning so went on the treadmill instead - I walked for 3 minutes, felt like I couldn't be arsed and then went and got a coffee and watched telly! image Somedays you just have to accept it doesn't happen for you!

However, will be back out tomorrow (whatver the weather) and 10 miler on Saturday to relieve the guilt! then I'm going on the bevvy!

Colin, pacing takes time and practice, it's one of the things I've always struggled with but getting to grips with it now. I've found over the years you keep in check with your Garmin and slow / speed up accordingly and as time goes by you get less dependant on looking at the watch every couple of minutes and you start to "feel" the difference between the paces and know what one you should be running at, then it will start to feel natural for you. Sorry, that doesn't sound right but hope you know what I mean, again you just have to be disciplined...

• Thanks Miggito - I keep using the garmin at the moment to control my pace, have found it hard to slow down to a 10mm, so after speaking to some running club members and advise through these forums I am going to try to maintain the 9.30mm for my long runs and see if I can still manage the interval training inbetween, if i can then I know I need to try and slow down.

Did 2.6 miles today in 21.06 @ 8.13, rest day tomorrow then 3 miles on Saturday followed by 7 miles on Sunday.

Enjoy ur run and bevvy

• Hey all

Miggito, I take your comment "always knew you Aussies were a little bit deranged" as the compilment for which it was intended, and should add that we are probably from the same stock goin' back a bit - guess we're all a bit deranged running 42.195 k's,....... although letting a little bit of drizzle stop you running outdoors.......? Should add, I had a beautiful relationship with a brew called Deaucars, enjoyed a jar or two in the past, can't get it here,...... looking forward to the reacqaintance. Good luck with the 10 miler on Saturday and enjoy a bevvy for me post run.

Colin Lee 4, I'm no expert, but I agree with your running club mates. If you can comfortably run quicker than what your plan says, and over the stated distance, why do you want to slow down? If your struggling to recover for your next session then run slower but otherwise, I reckon finding your running rythm (not pace) is the most important thing - but as I said, I'm no expert. Lsd's over 13-15 miles will sort you out, if you go out too quick, too early you'll blow-up - I think the saying is - you can't win the race at the begginning but you can lose it! As I understand it the Ed mara begins with a substantial decline so I'm guessing this has caiught folk out in the past.

Kathy, good point about nutritional needs - I take a daily multi vitamin (running friends say that the only benifit is lime flourescent colored wee) and a daily pro biotic - both for insurance really, and I don't know about any supportive science. Also have a flu shot at the beginning of winter -  and I've never been crook (flu/cold) during the training phase (vitamin D not an issue here). One of the reasons I've given up the grog is because I've had trouble with calf strains/tears - always happen near the end of a long run (Wed or Sun) - and mostly when I'd had a few drinks the night before. Figured I wasn't hydrated adequately with the grog the major contributor. So I'd add to the nutritional chat - the importance of being properly hydrated.

Enjoying my first week on the mara training program. No serious niggles, nice weather (cooler), strong motivation (helped along by all you lot).

Hope you all enjoy injury free training (17 weeks to go!).