Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• RJ - thanks for the advice.  I agree, the longer runs will determine whether i can maintain the 9.30 pace or not,  I did a half Marathon in 2012 and completed in 2hrs 7 mins with picking up an injury at mile 8, so hoping that if can keep injury free that when I run my half in March will get a good gauge on my pace there.

I agree with highlighted point, have been guilty of that on training runs so have learnt my lesson.  Hopefully the interval work will assist, though the sprinting really does knack my rhythm, maybe try to hard and need to refrain abit.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Colin, thanks for your nutritional advice regarding granola. image

Russell, I thought you only needed a supplement if you had a poor diet. But maybe you are right as apparently (from the workshop) we marathon runners need  a little more Vitamin D than others. It could be the same for other micro-nutrients.

Good point about the 'grog'. I should take heed.image

It is raining a lot of the time, and I have done some overtime at work. That is my excuse for not doing much training. I am finding it hard to get going. But I will (probably) this weekend finish my first week's plan.image

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Kathryn, I hope you enjoyed Dubai yesterday.image When you have recovered, tell all.

I went for my six mile run mostly along the river image Really spring-like.

• Massive winds and rain forecast for Grantham at dinner, so will be doing my 15 mile run at around 4pm, hoping to have a nice steady 8:40 pace as well so we'll see how it goes image.

The faster I run, the sooner im back home taking it easy.

• Horrible weather for running today.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Ann, I agree. I had to do my run on the gym's treadmill which was hard going.

• treadmill feels like double the work than a road run. Good effort On that! I felt like a crazy out running. Thank goodness my gem of a partner that picked my up after my long run packed a whole new set of dry clothing for me!

• Weather eased off just after dinner time so went for a run at 3pm, 15 mile run and did it in 2 hours 13, average pace 8:53 but ran a steady 8:30-9:00 all the way through so very happy.

• Hi everyone,

Edinburgh will be my first ever marathon (after doing quite a few halfs over the past few years) and I would be really grateful if somebody could give me an idea of what pace I should be aiming for. I ran the GNR in 1:37:15 last year, so am thinking that 4:00:00 should be a good time?

• Miserable, miserable day out there today... with the exception of the two hours I was out for my long run of the week!! image

It stopped raining just as I went out, and started again (with only a 5min shower.between) just after I got back!

I feel like a winner today, as not only did I go out anyway even though the weather was pants, but I was on my own for the first time on a long run. Usually the boyfriend is there to be a distraction from my tired legs.

Hi Gordon! It's my first marathon too, so I'm not an expert... but I think if you do all the proper training that you'd manage 4 hours no problem. There are quite a few others on the thread aiming for sub-4 so you'll probably get a more informed opinion shortly!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Pineapple, you were so lucky. image Or you planned it exactly right.

Hi Gordon. Putting in your time for the GNR, the Good Run Guide's race time predictor showed a possible time of 3:25:35 for a marathon. So that is 7:50 mins/mile (4:52 mins/km).

The calculation factors in the assumption that speed declines by about 8% when the distance doubles. In my case, the speed declined much more image, so I didn't do as well as my prediction last year.

• Dubai marathon done!  4:13:38.  Not the debut time I was hoping for, but lots learned.

Splits tell the story - 58:24 10k, 1:59 Half, 2:50 30km, and 4:13 finish.  So, fabulous first Half, steady middle, and DREADFUL final 12k.  And a victory vomit on finishing, hurrah, marvellous!

Still got a lot of reflecting to do here, main issue was that both legs became sore at 29k point and I've never experienced this in training.  I'm putting it down to being so new at this, and only having done 3 runs ever of more than 30km, none of which were race conditions of course.  And I also got dizzy and had to walk when could see the 40km sign - there was no way I wasn't finishing at that point!

so, definitely some good with the bad.  Now I need to do a bit of reading about how to sensibly transition into new training period for Ed without neglecting the rest that I still need.  The really good news is, no injuries, thank goodness.  I think that's a big win.

and you're all doing so well, training in vile conditions!  I'm battling heatstroke, and you're braving sideways rain and gales.  Really good stuff.

Simon, I think I saw you'd got a new Garmin in another thread, was this you? Working ok for you?  Pineapple toaster, brava for excellent run timing between the worst of it,  and hi Gordon, everyone's right, youve got the tools for a sub 4 based on your half, if you stick to a good plan with steady progression in distance runs.

Kathy, yep, was far more than 8% decrease for me too based on my Half PB, am really hoping to understand this a bit more and tackle it in next 16 weeks.

Turns out that a marathon is a long way...image But am even more excited about Ed and ready for a recovery run tonight!

miggito, good partying at the weekend? And RJ, Oz training going well?  Colin, all fine, how's pacing?

• Yep Kathryn, that was me.  Went for my 15 mile long run with it yesterday and Runkeeper on my iPhone, the iPhone reported 15.22miles when the watch hit 15 miles.

Great job on Dubai, did the heat effect you a lot?

• Russel - yes, I know a few of "your lot" and the thought of them giving up alcohol for even one day let alone 4 months would shock them into an early grave! image

Kathryn, absolutley fantastic on Dubai - well done! I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up about the time on your first one (mine was 4hr 27 or something) although I never did the "victory vomit" (love that phrase)!! Like you say, there are lots to be learned from every race that you do so now you know what you need to do for Edinburgh. At VLM after I crossed the line, they put me in a wheelchair and wouldn't let me leave the tent for half an hour after, made sure I was much better prepared when I did Edinburgh after that!

Gordon, as Kath says you could easily do a sub4 and potentially a sub 330 but if it is your first Marathon, might be better not to stretch yourself too far to see how you cope and go for it in the next one if you felt comfortable. As Kathryn says above, the first one can catch you out as it takes you right out of the comfort zone of a half. I'm goinf for sub 345 and my PB is 1.40 for the 1/2 if it helps?

PS. Am I the only one who gets confused between Kathryn Holden and Kathy H? Are you the same person?image

Well done everyone else on getting out in the weather. I was out at 6am on Saturday morning (actually missed the worst of it) ran 10 miles, feels really good to be getting back to these sort of distances! I went out in the early afternoon with good intentions of being back home at 6.30 but somehow managed 3.30am on Sunday!?! There will be none of that happening from March onwards, well maybe April onwards! I was still feeling slightly fragile this morning but ran 4 1/2 miles in "storm" conditions but certainly blew away the cobwebs - my neighbour saw me and is now convinced I am crazy!

A cheeky wee 6 miler for me tomorrow and then training program starts next week!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Kathryn, you did well.  A marathon is a long way, isn't it image

But it sounds as if you gave it your all. image

Miggito, no definitely different people. Though I would love to be able to run a marathon in 4:13.

Last year, I ran quite a bit in the snow. I haven't ever run much in the rain. And now I have joined the local leisure centre, I have access to their gym with treadmills.

Of course, treadmills are useless when you have a lot of mileage to do.

• Thanks all, appreciate your positive words.  Am just in from a gentle 4 miles, everything in working order, I'm fatigued but no real concerns.  Phew, I think I'm relatively unscathed, and I'm grateful for that.

No, me and Kathy are definitely different people, it's years since I ran in snow, it sounds gorgeous but only as a novelty one off.  Treadmills, yeah, not my favourite but they can certainly serve a purpose. You getting on with them ok Kathy?  Doing fast intervals and incline work etc

simon, did you get set up with Garmin Connect?  Apparently it's all getting a bit of a facelift at the end of March and will look a lot slicker, with more functionality too.

Pineapple, the auto correct dubbed you Toaster earlier, I wasn't trying to re-brand you.

enjoy your runs tomorrow all

• I had a play with the Garmin connect but I have so much stuff on runkeeper already that I'm just inputting the results into runkeeper.  I did like the feature on Garmin Connect where you can play back your run.

Nice bit of cross training tonight all done, it's nice to do that to get away from all the running so lots of pressups and crunches and power cleans tonight.

• Sensational effort Kathryn, well done!

How hot was it during the race?

I've always thought that marathons are 60% training and 40% in the head. To be feeling dizzy, spent legs, sunstroke and no doubt a spectacular chunder for the encore, that's pretty hardcore stuff,.....and a pb to boot! Rapped that you' came through the experience still up for the Ed mara (i've known folk who have sworn off running after a difficult half/full) - look after yourself over the next few weeks. That's one hellova training base you now have.

Miggito, must confess that I lapsed in week one - gave-in to peer pressure, )with friends like mine who needs.....), so my 18 week abstinense program has been modified to a 17 week abstinense program.

Training's all good here although it's gotten bloody hot again. 102 farenheit today and hotter tomorrow. And further, the local pools are packed as a result, so lane swimming is frustrating. From this end would prefer your cold (but not snow) to our hot.

• This course looks amazing downhill course and a great opportunity to knock minutes off my marathon PB of 3 hours and 5 minutes on undulating course and flat course. I have never tried a down hill course.

Sub 6 minute miles for the downhill section for the first 10km and push towards sub 85 minutes for the halfway, close to 2 hours and 5 minutes for 30km mark and then get under 3 hours could become a reality. Downhill marathon course may give a 5 minute advantage for a marathon time goal.

• Hi all, seems alot has been going on this weekend!!

Kathryn - Great result in your first marathon especially in Dubai.  I am trying for sub 4 but would be happy with that time, irrespective of the time as long as I finish and Macmillan get a nice bit of money in return.

RW - what are you eating, I want some - wish my running pace was as good as that!!

Seems alot of you were affected by the horrendous weather over the weekend.  I decided to brave csome of it on Saturday, was only 3 miles but was torrential rain and blowing a gale, anyway completed in 26.57 @ 8.35 pace.  Sunday I timed just right and got in my 7 miles during the lull in the rain, did this in 1:05:22 @ 9.07 pace.

No running club tonight as other half ill so have kids to look after, will try and make up on Friday instead of my rest day or may just leave as still 18 weeks to go.

• Well...what weather !!!...........Did 11.5 on Sunday in probably the worst wind and rain I've ever had the privilege to be out in. Nice and steady 9.08's though and quite hilly so a result me thinks. Even managed a short kick for the last couple of hundred metres (it was downhill !!).

Steady 5 mile trail run today. Splashing through the mud and puddles great fun....How old am I !!!!!

Glad everyone training seems to be going well.

• Hi RW sure I've spoken to you in the sub-3:15 thread?

Edinburgh is a great P.B race. Wish I could go for it on the day but think my legs will be sore from the week before! Cape wrath challenge.

Kathryn great marathon in Dubai! Well done!

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Glad you had a good first marathon, Kathryn. image

Treadmills are probably good for up to six or so miles, especially if you need to speedwork or hills (breaks the monotony!). When I am let loose outside it is difficult, for me, to run at a particular pace. I tend to run at differing pace that I feel like at that moment in time. Even when there are 'pacemakers' at a race, I feel restricted if try to follow them.

Though, if it is not raining (image) being out on the streets, or in the park, or by the river, cannot be beaten.image

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Hope everyone's training is going well.

I did some speedwork on the gym's treadmill, only five miles. But it was a lot of effort in the humidity! I probably would have been better off running in the rain. image

• Kathy H Nice Going.  I was on interval training today 1m jog 2x1.5m fast with a 400m jog rec inbetween then 1m jog.  Splits looked good at 8.59, 7.44, 8.00, 7.31, 8.45, 7.14 for 5.3m @ average 8.15 pace so happy with that though as was first interval session I felt it..

One20Four - Nice run in the rain on Sunday and hope u enjoyed your fun splashing 5, I'm the same why run round them only slows ur time down image

• Ah, your fab updates about speedy intervals and puddles (what are they again?).  I'm running vicariously through your posts.   Am on 2 days' rest then it's weekly long slow run Friday morning with running club, basically a relaxed 15k thats more about chatter and patting each other on the back than it is a real training run.  6am start, probably around 19degrees, still glorious for running.  Nice and slow.

Russell, it only really got hot last week in final 75 mins, bit unseasonal for Jan but there we go. Was mostly lovely.  the nasty temps only really kick in from June. One20Four, that's good steady running, you must have really enjoyed. Kathy H, plaudits for gritting teeth and turning in a valuable treadmill session, well done.  Colin -big thumbs up.  Love the progression on the even-number splits, finishing on 7.14 v.impressive.  PT, do you run faster solo or in Boyf's company, how competitive do you get?  Miggito, 6miler done?

anyone else doing the run hub challenges?  Am signed up to the 1000 miles per year

enjoy rainy runs!

• Hi all,

So glad my official training program doesn't start till next week as I have been awful this week! I'm blaming all the birthday excitement but got out again on Tuesday, only managed 5 miles and done nothing since, although I am going out tomorrow (hopefully!) to do a 10-12 miler, depending on how I feel and my legs cope. Then I've got another 3 days off as my lovely wife is taking me away somewhere on a surprise weekend - although rather worryingly she has told me to pack some gym gear (Apparently I will need it!) and all I want to do is drink and chill out imageAnyway, all this nonsense will stop after this weekend and I get serious!!

Russel - haha, I was p1shing myself when I read that you had fallen off the wagon already. I was holding you in such high regard as the one who could help me abstain on the coming weeks when I needed some moral support - I should have known better image

RW, great course for PB, no "real" hills, only buggeration factor is when you go through the field tracks at mile 20ish if I remember (messed me up!) as the ground changes...

Keep going everyone, fingers crossed I can drag my lazy carcass out of bed tomorrow and get out there!

• Went for a tempo 6ish miles today.............got about a quarter of a mile down the road and realised I hadn't started my bloomin' watch !!...........old age must be catching up with me..................Anyway got round in 8.04's so not a bad run. Rest on Friday then another longish plod on Saturday but not decided how far yet.

Enjoyin reading everyones posts is keeping me motivated for the hard work to come.

Keep it up folks

• 50 minute steady run tonight, definitely looking forward to brighter evenings and warmer, drier days.  7:29 average pace and have a 13.1mile "race" on Sunday as well, so will see how I do but feel ok and confident.

Have everyone started their training now and does anyone have any races coming up before the big day?

• Struggling with motivation this week... I've not been out at all. Going out this afternoon though and definitely not skipping the long run on Sunday.

Kathryn, I run slower when the BF is with me, because we only ever do my long slow runs together and he keeps me at a steady slow pace and doesn't allow me to speed up and knacker myself at the start of the run... i find it much more challenging to just run slowly by myself. We are both very competitive, but since there is no question that he is by far the better runner it doesn't affect us too much. Apart from when we 'race' up the stairs to his flat. Sometimes I let him win that one.

Simon, I'll be at the Alloa half marathon in march. image Really looking forward to it although I hear it's quite hilly.