Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Comments

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

That menu does sound good - what time should we come round? image

Good points on the wholewheat and fibre. White bread and white rice all the way.

Scott - if you're feeling good and that you can easily rest up still by doing 6, 4, rest in the next three days then you'll be fine. If in doubt - 4 miles only.

I'm out for a 3 miler this evening with strides, volunteer at parkrun tomorrow, 2 very easy miles on Sunday morning and then an early night! Will be aiming to be in position at MK at 9am. Bring it on. image

• Options

Lol lunch is ready in 3 mins. image

Managed 3 miles today without aggravating blister. That's me done now until Monday. 

It was at marathon pace though, couldn't resist it image. I'm sure 3 miles won't kill me lol.

I've just had mention again about hospital hill, from friend of a friend who ran it last year. Can't find it on a map, does anyone who knows the area know where this is and more importantly how steep/far it is? I'd like to check it out on street view. 

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭
    http://mkmarathon.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MK-Marathon-Elevation-2014.jpg

Presume it's the bump at about 24 miles?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

There is only about 200ft of elevation difference between max and minimum, also is that last years course? As it's a different course this year image but there was a shallow hill that just kept on giving a few miles from the end, not steep, but it just kept on going up image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

My garmin trace from last year.

/members/images/712846/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2014-05-02_at_15.09.05.png

• Options

If it's not steep then I shan't worry about it then! 

When I ran the Reading half it seems I completely failed to notice one of the 'hills' there. Lol. 

• Options

That hills nothing to worry about rises about 200ft but over 6miles or so, so very very gradual. So the flat' course was correct image Phew

• Options

Just another reminder to throw out there: Have you cut your toe nails?

• Options

I was leaving that till tomorrow or Sunday, good question though!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Should be sooner Scott image as most end up cutting to short so painful for a day or so, want them short but not uncomfy for the race image

• Options

I did mine very short and filed smooth on Monday. Ready to be painted a pretty colour when next week is over. Although not sure if they're flip flop ready just yet. Post blisters lol. 

• Options

Just got back from a comfortable 6 miler, felt good to get out there, legs felt good image Only a slow 4 miler now for tomorrow and thats it!

• Options
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum, this'll be my second marathon after MK last year.  Interesting to hear everyone's advice and thoughts.  Emjay - I can't believe you're still running with your blister/injury niggles - I'd be resting it and hoping for as much recovery as possible. You don't want it messing up your running form.   A lot of people still seem to be doing mileage now.  My taper is much more severe.  Did a couple of 10 milers last weekend, then resting.  Will do 5 miles tonight.  Maybe I'm lazy, but I reckon the mileage in the bank from a few weeks ago is the good stuff.  Anything now won't make much difference.   Good call about the fibre.  I've just had a bowl of brown pasta but might switch to white for the weekend.   I don't remember any hills to worry you from last year.  I know it's a different route, but my worst memories were the climbs to the overpasses/bridges!   Starting to get excited now...
  • Options

Welcome Phil- how did you find your first marathon then and what are you targeting this time round?

I guess everyone is different with the mileage they do, I would rather run as feel achy just sitting around

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

4.5m for me at marathon pace today.  A walk with the dog tomorrow and that's it. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Best of luck booktrunk, have a nice walk tomorrow and a fantastic race - you deserve it!

Hope everyone else plays a blinder too image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks Malcs. 

That really means a lot to me. image 

• Options

Thanks Scott.  The one thing that seems to be true for everyone is that everyone is different!  Last year went really well but then it all fell apart in the heat in the last 6 miles.  So I'm hoping it's a bit cooler this time around.  5m at mp just done.  Feeling good at the moment.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

You're more than welcome booktrunk. You've been great supporting everyone else thorough their spring marathons and now it's your turn. Go out and nail it!

• Options

Last 4 miles done this evening at very steady pace followed by a nice chicken pasta creation (white pasta as Booktrunk is quite right and i don't fancy doing a Paula on race day....)

Lazy day tomorrow and then drive to MK to stay at the stadium Sunday night.

Re: the cutting of toe nails - did mine on Monday, cut the big right toe too short, but that'll fix, then the black toenail next to it that I acquired on the Paris Marathon decided to fall off completely as I tried to 'trim it a bit'....Ooops...that'll be fun on race day!

Sleep well all.

• Options

Last pre-race run for me tonight. 7.5 miles, supposed to be race pace, but I got a bit too excited by the fact that I could actually breathe normally for the first time in weeks, and went a bit OTT - more like 9-9.30 pace as opposed to 10-10.15.

Felt great during and afterwards, so a really nice run to finish on. I even had to hurdle a peacock at one point (well, its tail anyway).

I've got some running repairs to do on my feet over the weekend. The seemingly endless string of Compeeds I've had to have over recent months have left a weird hotchpotch of old and new skin adorning my feet, and it looks to me like I'm going to have to patch things up quite a bit on Monday morning. In particular, there's a very alarming, and quite massive, post-blister patch of tender-looking new skin under old on the underside of my right big toe which could be particularly problematic.

Considering how I felt a couple of weeks ago though, I'm delighted with where things are now.

• Options

Ivor- where on earth do you run that you had to hurdle a peacock's tail?

Last run for me done this morning, a slow 4 miles image

Weathers looking good for Monday image

• Options

The RSPB's headquarters is up the road from where I live, and the quiet route which takes you round the back of it goes past several farms, one of which houses peacocks. Only the third time I've seen them out on the road, but it really, really, really didn't want to get out of my way. It eventually moved, but there was a bit of a lag between its head end moving, and its tail following, so evasive action was called for.

• Options

Ah okay- knew there would be a logical reason. Not something you hear about happening on your every day run thats for sureimage

• Options

Wow thread gone mad.

1 more run either tonight or tomorrow morning 3 miles with little tempo. If I go tonight will be able to go for walk/bike with wife tomorrow just to keep legs turning over.

Had a great 6mile gentle run onthursday at 9min pace, felt really fresh.

Love carbo loading and taper! 

• Options

thanks guys for ure responses!, legs feeling a bit better as put some ice on it over the past couple of days..

i have another question tho, when i was looking at the map for the milton keynes marathon it has a blue line and red line does anyone know what this means what is the difference?

• Options

My assumption was that the blue line was maybe the half marathon route? Not too sure though is a bit confusing

• Options

ye i thought that but it doesn't go to 13 miles?

• Options

Well it seems to go up to about 10/11 miles then my assumption is it then loopback to finish in the stadium?