Endure24 24 hour team Relay

Comments

• Clive, you're doing a 50mile race just six weeks recovery after 100mile run?!?  Good stuff fella, serious ultra runner.

Paul, new to ultra-running aswell, never run anywhere near 100miles before.  Did 65miles at last years Endure, but that was alternating laps. 

I'm relying on training for the first half and adrenaline/stubborness/stupidity to get through the second half.

if you haven't done a off-road night-time run before, i'd certainly recommend doing it before the race, just to get an idea of what it's like.  Not sure about 2am...

• Fuzzy Mike

Other way round.....24hr race is six weeks before the North Downs Way (in August).....was hoping to do 100 in the 24h to give me confidence that I can complete the NDW100......which is allegedly VERY hilly......

• Mike, good advice, might have to take a late run after swimming one thursday night i reckon! 65 miles runing every other lap? that sounds pretty good rate of speed!! I think im going to plod from the off! was thinking about maybe going at it a bit quicker to midnight but think consistency could be better!

Clive, sounds like you have a plan there! I did ironman lanzarote last saturday which (although no where the same as a 100) took it out of me a bit which at the time was avout 6 weeks until endure24. I have ironman uk 3 weeks after that so i think i will be stocking up on vitamin c post race instead of the usual beers image

Im hoping to do the centruion grand slam next year but havent committed yet - need permission from a certain someone lol but im in for this years winter 100 as my first proper 100.

• Damn, you guys got some serious running ahead... I've been looking at the centurion races, but only the 50milers.

• I haven't done it yet!!!!....but hopeful....I have done a few ultras but the longest I have done is Comrades but that is only 54 miles and on road.....100 miles is a whole new ball game to me.....ultimate target is UTMB next year which is  why I am doing the NDW this year (for the qualifying points)

Paul - IM races do take time to recover from and Lanza is meant to be one of the toughest so take it easy......if you haven't done IMUK before......enjoy Sheephouse lane.....three times!

• just remember - to do 100miles in 24hours you only need to average 4.2mph... that makes it sound so much easier... image

• somebody at work informed me the other day...."I could walk that!"......I nearly fell off my chair laughing as the guy probably couldn't do 24 minutes

• hahaha 4.2mph sounds soooo much easier but 24 hours is a long long time image

Clive, Yup, i've done IM uk the last 2 years, i dont mind Sheep House lane (i like climbing) its the back section on the fast road I hated both times!! Energy sapping winds, though not as bad as Lanza which were horrid 2 weeks ago!

Wow, UTMB! I looked at that a while ago as lots of people seem to target it. It looks epic! One day when the kids are grown up i would love to do it!

Bought my head torch last night so will try that out one night next week!!!

• Do this one as part of a 6 female team. Team meeting tonight. Make it seem real! I'm hoping to do at least 6 of the laps as training for my upcoming first ultra.

Good luck soloists. 

• Good luck Jelly, that'll give you a good 30 miles in the 24 hours! Which one are you doing as your first?

• Royal Parks 50K in Oct Paul so just a bit more than a marathonimage

• Cool, looks like a nice event! the 'extra bit' is always the bit that hurts the most in my limited experience though im sure you will be fine image 30 miles would i imagine ive you a good confidence boost!

• less than four weeks to go... got my final very long run this weekend, then start tapering.

The final course route is due shortly.  Apparantly there's been voting on the course via facebook regarding the final grass field section (I don't do facebook, so couldn't comment...).  Thankfully there will definatly be less grass field to run than last year.

• Hi mike, i saw that vote on the endure24 facebook page!! seemed to be infavour of less field! Was it really as bad as being made out?

Im hoping to get out for a couple of good double this saturday/sunday but been feeling a bit run down this week so we shall see!

Got my head torch now and a small tent to keep stuff it as the other half will have the car so i will need somewhere to change etc , just sorting out last few bits of kit to wear and i will be set! no amount of training is going to help me now!!

Cant wait!!

• Hey Paul.  Grass section was about a mile looping around the camping field - the grass was a few inches high with the occasional pothole / rut - it was fine for a handfull of laps, but the grass was very energy sapping, repetative & not as much fun as the forest.

I guess somewhere to change is a good idea, flashing in the support tent is probably frowned upon (although by sunday morning most of us won't care...) image

• Lol i imagine by sunday morning the will to want to change will be gone anyway as all feeling will have stopped image

On another note, i read somewhere that last year you could buy a wristband that meant you had unlimited access to food/drinks is that right?

I had a bad run last night, worst 10 miles i have ran for ages!!! Hopefully getting the bad ones out of the way now image

• with all the training for this there's bound to be a couple of bad runs...

yep, last year there was a catering deal for soloists.  emailled E24 about it, currently discussing with caterers, info soon.

• great, thanks Mike! Will certainly make it easier being able to pop in and grab something without cash everywhere!!!

Think im a little run down, first full week back training after Lanzarote, probably not enough vit c going in and not back up to pre-race weight yet! Knew I shouldn't have given up chocolate biscuits!!

• forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but I cannot seem to find any specifics relating to the level of self sufficiency in the race details......it does refer to "catering" being open all weekend and a "feed station" at 5k but doesn't give any details of either

I am keen to know what I need to carry during the run.....does the feed station have unlimited water/squash ....which would probably save me from carrying any drink.....any ideas anyone???

• For those of you not on facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilkPRaChQoo&feature=youtu.be

I think there is water and cliff products at the halfway point you can see it on the video.

• what i've picked up so far:

water will be available at the feed station. apparantly clif bar are looking after the feed station, so hopefully that'll mean energy bar pieces & gel shots. worth carrying some water in case they temporarily run out.

water will also be at the support tent.

they were on the ball last year, constantly keeping the water barrels filled up.  will be a mission for them this time with so many more people.

last years catering tent supplied most food requirements: sweet & savoury snacks, hot meals, choc bars, cakes, hot & cold drinks.  soloist could queue jump to avoid waiting, guessing we might have our own counter this time...

• word from the book of face - there's talk of a special Endure24 100 t-shirt, which would be cool.

"our guess is 23 people will make it " - now that's a challenge, bring it on!! 

• Just over a week to go... calf muscles went last week, so hoping they'll knit back together enough for the race, that 100mile target has just got harder...

hope everyone elses training has gone ok.

• nope - having a shocker.....kidney issues....chronic achespains/fatigue plus peeing blood after every run (no kidding) and no running for over a week now means I may be a DNS unless the docs sort me out pretty quickly

CT scan today.....fingers crossed they will tell me it's all in my head and to man up

• clive, sounds like you're having fun...  if you can't make this, I hope you get sorted for the NDW

• thanks - no point worrying about it......just one of those things......as long as I can get back to running pretty soon

would be a shame to miss this but NDW is the main aim this year

• The last week has been quite kind to me although im feeling it now! I will start a little taper which in my world means i wont run after tuesday (still commute to work on the bike). Looking forward to it now and fingers crossed the weather is ok! The temp and chance of rain according to my phone are both on the up!

Clive, hope you get yourself sorted, sounds nasty image

Mike, hope you've still got your eye on one of the t-shirtsimage

• Thanks Paul - sure it's nothing serious.....just annoying to miss this after all the training

• oh yes, still wanting one of those t-shirts.  just be harder to get & gonna hurt more than planned... 

let's hope it doen't get to hot next weekend.  a light drizzle will be good, but no thunder storms.

• it's almost here... oh crap!?!  more nervous than excited at the moment.

I'm a little disappointed with the official website, doesn't provide updates.  Everything seems to be via facebook (which some of us refuse to join).  the course map is there, but not on the website!?!

Also, no info on catering for soloists... i'm now assuming there is no solo catering package, so packing supplies accordingly.