rules on bone conduction headphones

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A bloke got disqualified from Abingdon as well. Where , at the start, the race director warned everyone at least twice during the race briefing.

If they don't see it as important then why would a race director make such a big deal about it?
  • No one at Edinburgh makes a big deal about it.

• Flob, how is it selfish and inconsiderate to wear an ipod while running? The route at Edinburgh is wide and the roads are closed (unlike Abingdon). There is plenty of space to pass other runners. There's no more faffing involved with an ipod than with a garmin. Is it more difficult to get round a runner who can't hear you or one that's dressed in a rhino suit or similar?

Also, the majority of the field at any marathon are not 'racing'. Especially those who are first timers like the OP.    

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's selfish and inconsiderate to the people who may like to run with music but read the rules and decided to abide by them by going without. Putting themselves at a disadvantage (perceived or not)
  • Headphones

http://www.helsbyrunningclub.org.uk/halfmarathon/no-mp3.jpg

iPod, MP3 and other personal music players are not welcome for safety reasons — please enjoy the course without!

Taken from the race details of next weeks Helsby 4 Villages....

Can't be much clearer can it ? But of course various people will decide it doesn't apply to them, like the dim blonde I trod on in 2012 when she didn't hear me overtaking... Bet it really hurts having a 6ft4 14 stone bloke smack into you, I didn't bother to apologise as she had headphones in !

• Why enter a mass-participation race if you want to cut yourself off from everybody and not experience the atmosphere?

• I notice the rules say no dogs.......but my dog is half wolf so isn't really classed as a dog.....

can you all please confirm that its fine for me to run the edinburgh marathon as I train with him everyday and can't run without him bounding around me...

• runninggeek81 Edinburgh is on closed roads - but how do the paramedics get to people along the course ? Is it fair that their progress through the runners is hampered because inconsiderate runners have ipods in and can't hear them ?

I've ran a half marathon that was unseasonably warm and runners were dropping like flies on the verges. The ambulances couldnt get past runners with ipods in - they had no awareness there was a wagon three feet behind them.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

A lot of races are stricter on the DQ front these days. Did Cornish marathon last year and one guy was DQ'd (and I beat him image ). There are still quite a few that allow it so if you need to run with music pick one of those, don't pick one where it states it's not allowed then complain.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Should add he was DQ'd but they couldn't physically stop him finishing.....still I suppose everyone beat him......technically 

• at abingdon they have DQ'd lots in the last few years.if they wanted to they can stop them finishing as the finish in on private property not a public road image

• If around a quarter of the field are running with dogs, it's unclear from the organisers' website whether dogs are allowed and the ban on dogs is not enforced (or mentioned in any way on the day), I'd say it's fair enough to run with a dog.

Dave, if it's that clear, then fine. But at Edinburgh, it's not. A tap on the shoulder would probably have done the job. I'm glad I'd be nowhere near you in a race!

• London has bouncers to stop bandit runners getting onto the Mall I believe ?
  • I always kind of thought running with music was cheating.  Running is one of the purest forms of exercise as you cannot save on energy by free wheeling or gliding like you can in cycling and swimming. 

In my humble opinion, using music to spur you on is an aid and therefore a cheat. 

I always raced and trained without music as I didn't want to become dependent on it, not to mention the fact that I liked to hear what was going on around me.  But ultimately it was lovely to have that little bit of time to have some peace and quiet and enjoy the surroundings.  Also, as someone else mentioned, if you race with music you miss an awful lot of the atmosphere and encouragement at an event - what's the point in that?!?!?!?

• Cougie, getting an ambulance down a marathon course with runners on it must be a nightmare anyway. I don't think it would make much difference ipods or not. If it's an emergency, the siren will go on. Most people can hear a siren through music, especially a few feet behind them.

The problem there is more with people entering marathons who are ill prepared.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    runninggeek81 wrote (see)

Dave, if it's that clear, then fine. But at Edinburgh, it's not.

what is less clear about it?

"Can I wear my MP3 player? 
    This event is run under Scottish Athletics rules and therefore MP3 players or other devices plugged into the ear are not permitted whilst running for reasons of health & safety, both yours and other competitors. When you wear such a device you are unable to hear other competitors, cars, bicycles or marshals instructions"

• Last year at Brighton a famous runner cut out quite a few miles of the course and finished in a PB time. The race director hasn't acted on this so therefore cutting out parts of the course and getting a GFA qualifying time by cheating is okay?

• Infamous runner now ?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Fair play to him/her. If it wasn't made 100% clear in the race instructions that cutting the course would get you disqualified then it must be ok. The lack of enforcement only confirms this idea.
  • I noticed that nobody has mentioned deaf people in this discussion yet....carry on

• The rules said to run the whole course but didn't say you had to if you did the Mobot at the finish line.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It doesn't really matter though as if enough people don't comply then that's ok apparently.
  • It didn't matter that the forum objected to that eitherimage

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

interesting question on the Edinburgh Marathon Q&A:

I want to enter more than one person - is this possible?

is the answer:

a) as long as they don't find out about each other

or

b) It is, however you need to create a separate 'My Details' account for each runner and use a separate password for each entrant.

• runninggeek81 wrote (see)

. I'm glad I'd be nowhere near you in a race!

Why ?  If she hadn't been stupid enough to be wearing head phones and decided to meander around the road rather than run in a straight line she wouldn't have swerved into my path, she would have heard me running behind her

• carterusm wrote (see)

I noticed that nobody has mentioned deaf people in this discussion yet....carry on

Why ? Do deaf people often run with mp3 players ?

• I believe "Move over you git" works equally well for both the deaf and stupid in sign language.imageimageimage

• Skotty, that is clear. Updated from last year from the looks of it. That being the case, I hope they have a similar warning on the day and dq people who don't follow it.  

Dave, the meandering was the problem then, not the lack of hearing. I'm with you there.