Saturday Racing

2»

Comments

• Maybe some of you might like to pursue an idea from here in Germany. In some highly Christian church-going areas such as Bavaria, many sports events and even Fests import a local priest to a Sunday event to conduct worship prior to the start. Country hiking organizers (Volksmarsch) have even be known to hold a church service en route.
  • So wild will if another persons belief were to directly oppose a deeply held belief of your own you would still uphold there right to believe it, v. liberal.
  • The great NZ open side flanker Michael Jones would never play for the All Blacks on a Sunday...or anyone else
  • Neyo - and other Saturday race lovers.
    Just come across this thread - after posting my own under "Events - why so few Saturday Races?"
    Good to hear I'm not a lone voice.
    Thanks Nick for pointing me this way - and for news of the Wolverton 5 - a long way from Glos. but I made it. Good race!
    In the few years I've been running I think there is a shift away from the Saturday option. Statisticians may wish to dig out some old Runners Worlds and do some sums!

I run in the Gloucester and the Gwent XC leagues and these are fun yet the Gwent league has 2 Sunday fixtures this season.

Keen to hear of Sat races in the glos area especially longer ones in the run up to London.
    I reccomend the Rhayader 20 - splendid race.

Paul

• Hello folks - really enjoyed reading all of this adn to hear the opinions. As a baptise minister taking to many sundays off is not an option unless you can think of creative ways of getting my congregation to come with me. maybe half way round we could put a big white table cloth over one of the drink stations and ... maybe not!!

I went to the Isle of white this year to find a marathon on a sat. sertainly not a flat course. I take one Sunday off to do the local 1/2 marathon in southend but that is it.

Here to answer your orignal question is some Sat races that i have come across. They are localish to southend adn above 10k. they are from this site adn onrunning (running fitness) and word of mouth.

Cheddleton Christmas Pudding 10K
    2:00pm, Saturday 30 November 2002
    stan Wilson 01538 360 296

Victoria Park Races 10k
    1:45pm, Saturday 30 November 2002
    James Abery, crosscountry@le.ac.uk

Waverley Open Tilford Cross Country
    2:00pm, Saturday 30 November 2002
    EG Holley
    54 Harbour Rd
    Pagham
    Bognor Regis
    West Sussex
    PO21 4TE

Datchet dash 10k
    www.datchetdash.com

Dovedale 10k
    27 june 2003
    Essex drixes@supanet.com

Discovery 10k
    Sept 28 2002
    www.Discovery10km

Run ealing ragged 10k
    Oct 19 2002
    Runealingragged@hotmail.com

Chedder 1/2m
    Nov 2002
    Lynda 01934 842040

Have fun.
  • Hi I dont know where you live but the Hants XC lge is held on a Sat as well check out there web.
  • I like Saturday races (in the good old days there used to be more than there are now). One good thing about them is that you can still do your long run on a Sunday. As others have suggested, joining a club is a good idea as most x/c races are on Saturdays and there also quite a few road relays around too.
  • Boing for Humph3 and Leighton!!
  • Gaz is spot on with the problem with saturday road races. As a one time race organiser (never again!!) I can say unless you start the race at 5 am in the morning the traffic is just too heavy on a saturday, sunday mornings are the quietest time of the week to hold a road race. Road races also depend on the input and support of the local police force who in my experience prefer the sunday morning option. Saturdays are often taken up by other sports events that require police presence such as football matches. Obviously there is the option of holding races on quiet rural roads but then where would you find facilities near by that would be big enough to cater for lots of runners, showers, car parking etc?
    Solution = Take up hill running!!!!!!
  • Just adding my voice to this thread as well, I am facing this conflict between wanting to get out with other runners for the 'long run' and missing my church family on Sunday mornings. A few more Saturday races would go down very well with me. Based near St Albans but able to travel reasonable distances.
  • Me too, HW and everyone else. With responsibilities for music on Sundays as well, I don't like to leave everyone else to it too much.
    I am training for Flora half, having only really started proper running for the last month. I am doing a 10K to warm up in Regents Park in 2 weeks, but feel frustration that these 2 races will probably be it for a while. It is annoying, because I am just starting to really enjoy the whole thing.
    I am based near Harlow, Essex, but could travel anything reasonable. More Saturdays!
  • The Seven Sisters aka Beachy Head marathon is also usually held on a Saturday. Fortunately in my running club we do our long run on Saturdays BECAUSE there are so many races on Sundays. This is ideal for me because I race less than once a month and therefore rarely have to miss church even if it isn't feasible to attend the 8am service. Although I dislike missing church, I feel psychologically and physiologically more geared up for a race on a Sunday than a Saturday - partly because of the gap after the end of the working week.
  • Really interested to read this thread. I can't justify missing church to race, and anyway I'm a Baptist lay preacher so I often have no choice anyway.

Having said that I have to admit that I'm not ready to race yet, but I would like to have that opportunity. Looking through the RW race directory for East Anglia (I'm based in Cambridgeshire)there seem to be hardly any races on a Saturday.

Thanks to all those that recommended XC, good lateral thinking. However I'm a big lad, and 200 yds of sinking into mud would finish me off.

Good to see that there are so many Christian runners.
  • A good race on a Saturday is the Rhayder round the lakes 20 which is always on a saturday in March. You will need the help of the lord on the following day to assist in the recovery of your thighs & calfs.
    Failing that you can always convert to the jewish faith who have no such sunday issues!
  • I would prefer Saturday running too as long runs will allow good resting on Sunday hopefully
  • If anyone fancies a long distance walk on a Saturday:

As part of (OK almost all of) my preparations for the Trailwalk I’m going to do a 36 mile walk from home round the Aylesbury Ring trail on Saturday 31 May. I think it’s all well signed and it looks to have a good range of terrain but nothing too horrible.

The route
    http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=480000&Y=215000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=100000&out.x=8&out.y=7
    starts in Cheddington (NE of Aylesbury) and joins the path near Long Marston then goes through Aston Clinton, Wendover, Little Kimble, Dinton, Waddesdon, Hardwick & Hulcott. It all fits on one OS map (Explorer 181).

I aim to leave by 7am and get round in between 12 & 13 hours.

If anyone fancies joining me and a few of the Trailwalk team members we’d be delighted to have company

Nick