Options

Monday 22nd December

Lyric applicable to most of us, I think.

Morning!

As usual when I'm first up, today I shall be mostly doing nothing. Except for finishing the Crimbo shopping. Yippee. Maybe I'll pack my kitbag just in case...?

Have a good Monday.

Comments

• Options
    Morning All, another sunny day in downtown Dubai, Christmas shopping finished last night. Club christmas morning run organised, a 10K along the beach wearing santa outfits which will confuse the locals somewhat. Then a training 20 miler on boxing day as the last long run before the Dubai marathon in January. So back to today!

What: X Train
    Why: Thigh strain niggling
    Last hard: Friday
    Last Rest: Thursday

Happy running.

PS in answer to Hilly on yesterdays thread most races here in Dubai attract 150 - 300 runners, the good thing is that you know them all! Your never short of someone to chat to on a run presuming you have breath left for talking.
  • Options
    Morning

Well done all racers yesterday and thanks for for your wishes over my race-you guys are the best!!!

Well done BT on feeling better and running again it must have been a tough time for you!

I have enforced rest day as my sports massage was cancelled on Friday and he wants me not to run before he sees me!! I know he plus running partner are ganging up on me at the moment re how much I train!!! but will take onboard what is being said as only been running 10 months but ......not sure I will listen yes I am stubborn!!

Happy running make it a good one

Merry Christmas and a truely Happy New Year!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning all.

What - 5.5 miles easy am, 1 hour steady later on.

Why - base building

Last hard - Sunday

Last rest - 12 days.
  • Options
    Morning all!

The good (well, bad really) thing about living somewhere where then nearest half-decent shops are a five hour drive away is that my Christmas shopping rush was in November ... ordering everything online... then sitting around and hoping everything arrives in time for Christmas!

WelshP - enjoy the sports massage. So how much do you train? And how's the knee?

Well, walking on ice in my usual high heels on Friday night I managed to slip and twist my 'bad' knee. So not done a lot this weekend. Well, a little run, about 5 hours of snowboarding and a couple of hours of cross country skiing ... which is not a lot for me!

What: 5 mile tempo run, maybe a swim later
    Why: marathon training schedule
    Lst hard: Friday
    Last rest: eight days ago.

Will toddle off now and catch up on the weeknd training threads sometime today.
  • Options
    Lizzie

I honestly don't beleive I do too much and I always feel because of my asthma I have to train harder and longer just to be on a even keel.
    I train 5 days a week was 6 and do 53 miles in a week but can see it going up as I have a gold bond place for FLM long run is up to 17 miles at present.
    Knees are fine at the moment but have gone back to old trainers and yesterday wore trail shoes never worn before and no pain!!

But the guys believe I am doing to much to soon and need to ease up!!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I will let the others comment on that WP

you run hard when you run, as well, dont you
  • Options
    Morning all

What: hopefully be able to go to gym on tready tonight when hubby comes home from work
    Why:Kids are off school so makes it more difficult to go out running!
    BUT...

Hubby ordered a treadmill from local sports shop and we are to pick it up Wednesday so getting a run in with kids at home won't be a problem with a new toy to run on!

Happy runing
    tiaxx
  • Options
    Oh dear, the festive season is interfering with marathon training already. Only managed one 7 mile run this weekend bringing my weekly mileage to a total of 20 miles - not quite what it says on the schedule stuck to my fridge!

Today will probably be another rest day. I might try to do a couple of miles tonight but I've got a Chrissy lunch with work pals so can't guarantee anything!
  • Options
    Morning

Just got back from 3 miles steadyish. First day of marathon training. I'm following the 4hr RW schedule.

Will hopefully make it for a swim too later on if christmas shopping doesn't take too long.

Have a good day everyone

• Options
    What - 6.5 miles done.
    pm - decided to go to Meadowhall to do Xmas shopping this evening - desperate measure I know but needs must.
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 5 miles am, 8 miles pm
    Why: Mileage building

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    What: 50 minutes running on own before joining up with club for another 50 minutes. Total distance should be somewhere near 12 miles.

Why: one way to get in miles on a Monday evening.

Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: wednesday
  • Options
    Hi all,

Nothing I think (beyond entertaining the spaniel, already done, and a lot of walking to get and deliver Christmas presents). Better than yesterday, but perhaps another day of nothing will help.

What is running too much? I can sympathize with WP, feeling like the red queen that she has to do so much more just to stay still. And all these tough guys and gals doing twice a day efforts? Do you toughen up to the regime, or does it just turn you into a bad tempered brute, and if it does turn you into a bad tempered brute, is that a temporary phase or is it necessary to back off and rest a bit?

Reminds me of sailing, pointing close to the wind. Much too close the sails flap, you stop, a little too close, seems alright, but you'd do much better to sail a bit further off the wind and go faster, too far off and you're wasting energy.

It's the art of sailing, and of running too.

Best of luck WP. Pay attention to those near to you. They will know before you do if you are training too hard.
  • Options
    Morning,

What: 6m easy
    Why: don't have time for much else, plus legs are feeling some stiffness from yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 3 days

Slowing down to run with clubmates yesterday, then speeding up again after I left them, seems to have taken it out of me. Trouble was it came late in the run, and speeding up after 14m wasn't easy, even though it was only to my own normal pace.

Busy day + evening today but will see if I have time for another 5m tonight.

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning all,

had a couple of rest days last week..forced by work, social and festivities but back on track again..

What: 6.5 at 137 HR (last one)

Why: Base training

Last hard: Dunno

Last rest: Friday

Moving on to Stage 2 of BT next weekend...until then will try to do 1 hr a day, except maybe Christmas day...
  • Options
    morning all

what: nothing
    why: scheduled rest day

last hard day: Fri (and Sun)
    last rest day: last Mon
  • Options
    aaargh, struggling to get out in pre-chrissie work rush (lunch run just scuppered), only got out 3 times last week with last run an extremely satisfying Sat am 6 miles in the dark howling wind & rain. Will try again tomorrow - roll on Boxing Day when we leave for a one week chillout in a Scottish lochside croft where the glens will be a-beckoning!
  • Options
    Sounds fun erratic, get the snowshoes out??

Apart from the usual aches and pains this morning, R foot doesn't seem too much the worse for wear for yesterday's 9 miles or so. So all other things being equal..

what :6 miles steady
    Why : make space for the dead times to come
    last hard day : last tues
    last rest : sat

enjoy
  • Options
    Did a route that I hadn't done since early part of this year...what a difference! It has a short very steep downhill followed immediately by a long steep climb. I used to reall struggle by half way up but today it seemed relatively easy :)

What: 4m
    Why: week 3 of marathon schedule...it'll be Taunton coz didn't get a FLM club place yesterday
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Friday

feeling gooooood x
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

DD-sounds like you got a fair few training partners then!

sfh legs-glad the foot feels ok!

WP-I agree with your training partner that maybe you are pushing it too much too soon. You sound very much as stubborn as me so there'll be no telling you:o)

I hope your training does go ok for you though!!

Stickless-your posts are always so interesting to read!

Trinity in tinsel-I was going to write Tit, but changed my mind!

Looks like we're doing the same marathon. I think you said you did Cardiff too? So did I. Maybe we'll get to meet this one!

What:5 miles off road with 19 yr old son who runs too fast for me! I'll have to try and slow him down somehow. He always says come on mum you're running like a snail (joking) and I'm nearly at race pace!
    Why:son asked me to run with him and I like to oblige 'cause deep in my heart I think he's an excellent runner (but he's a footballer who only runs to keep fit for football)so I love encouraging him to get the bug for running.
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:Friday
  • Options
    It's SOOO good when a tough route from the past feels easier, Trinity.

Club run tonight.

• Options
    WP, I did what you are doing. I pushed it and pushed it too soon and had 5 weeks out injured - basic overuse injury in legs that weren't used to running.

Stickless, I get mad when something happens to stop me running twice a day!
  • Options
    Afternoon all

Did 10-11 miles yesterday on the High Peak trail. Legs were a bit tired towards the end due to steep hill early in route and lack of long runs, however it was a really enjoyable run, nice to get off the roads.

What: nothing, working (well sort of) and then looking after the kiddiewinks while Popsider buys a very nice Christmas present for me. Anyway planning an easy week as last attempt of the year to do a sub-50min 10k at the weekend. Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Hilly and BR,thanks for comments I do not want to be injured and out for weeks at a time.What would you suggest I do? but remember I am after a good time at London!!

Thanks for any help
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hilly....you're not the first :)
  • Options
    Have you entered Taunton yet Hilly...I should get around to doing that now I know for sure
  • Options
    WP, it's a tough one. `Listen to your body' is the usual advice, but it took me over 3 years to work out the difference between lack of motivation and over exertion.

You learn to realise when a certain run will be more harmful than beneficial but that only comes with experience.

All I can suggest is monitor your HR regularly for signs of over tiredness, drink plenty of water and do loads of stretching.

Try running in different trainers on different days as well as each pair will have a slightly different impact on your legs. Rotate maybe 3 pairs at one time.
  • Options
    ok
    im having a rest day
    whiplash-it hurts
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: 18.5 miles this am in very chilly Ireland

Why: Weekly long run from yesterday

Last hard: Thursday

Last rest: Saturday

Simon
  • Options