Options

Abingdon Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

No pasta Greeny?  Wow I'm eating stacks of it at the minute especially before a long run, I'm also having loads of chicken baked spuds and smoothies (made not bought).  Very rarely eat bread.  I'm at about 11:8:0 at the minute and the Runners World Calc says my optimum weight is 11.6:0.  So I'm not too far off, I was 11:10:0 at Edinburgh and Abo  last year.

I have noticed that pb times and close to 11.6:0  are linked for me!!!  Got a menu plan downloaded for the week before Barca which I used at Edinburgh.

• Options

I struggle with my weight always have. I was 11:10 three weeks ago down to 11:2 last week weigh myself tomorrow but a lb a week will see my nicely down to race weight for London. Don't forget you're taller than me I'm only a short arse 5"8 image

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

There is a book called Paleo for Athletes that i based my diet on.  I wasn't super strict and didn't go diary free (i think the book and certainly most Paleo diets advise dropping diary but I can't not have milk in tea!  I wouldn't cope!).  Previously I would have gasped at anyone marathon training and not eating loads of pasta etc and told them they were bonkers, but it really did work.  It can be tough though.  I remember being really hungry in my local tesco metro and thinking 'I really don't want to eat chicken, i just want a bag of crisps/sandwich/bread roll etc etc'

I have also used the FIRST 3 days a week plan and I am a fan.  I will probably use it again this time.  I find it great on time and I appreciate the fact that you always get a day off between.  I do other stuff (I'm in a swim club, cycle to work when dogs don't get in the way) so it works well for me.  The track and tempo sessions can be tough, but they don't last that long and then you get a nice easy run at the weekends. ** Please remind me of this statement when I am moaning about training!!**

• Options

That's the book I use too pip. flatboy you can have a borrow if you so wish

• Options

Going to to struggle with no dairy, specifically yogurt/ drinking yogurt.  But I may consider it for Abo

• Options

Hmmmm interesting. I'm kinda just a believer in "everything in moderation" - ie plate up my food roughly 40% protein/fat type foods and the rest mostly veg and, say25-30% carbs (of the brown rice, whole grain or spelt pasta , potatoes etc) and not sure I could get enough calcium without diary. Mum has osteoporosis now so I'm a bit worries about following suit! I don't eat much cheese at all but I do like yogurt and milk. But once I've lost another few lbs I'll be back where I was pre baby and I was happy with my weight and my running but if I have a nightmare getting rid of these last few pounds I might consider Paleo for athletes. (Not that I could be considered in any way an athlete!)

changing subject - soooo sick of this rain. Parkrun this morning cancelled. And so windy too. Hoping to do 10 miler tomorrow but our village is flooded which is putting me off a bit! I hate having wet feet! 

• Options

If you're happy I wouldn't change a thing tbh. I just struggle with my weight and only tend to go on it to hit race weight twice a year for my marathons. 

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Brookie, I would never describe myself as an athlete or runner (or swimmer, or cyclist either), i just describe myself as 'someone who does stuff' image.  You sound like you don't need to adjust much anyway.  I am going to have stones and stones to lose soon so I will do it the best/safest/quickest way I can.

• Options

Pip- if you are out there running, you're doing more than the person sitting on the couch watching the Olympics and if you run a marathon, you are doing more than most runners.

• Options

Shame to see the Abingdon football club pitch on sky sports looking like a swimming pool. If any locals are on here hope you can get sorted too soon. 

• Options

Martin- even worse that the footie pitch is that our Abingdon parkrun course is under several feet of water.  And we can't even use our B route because the carpark (where we also start and finish) is under several feet too:

/members/images/433328/Gallery/b_2014-01-08_13.47.52.jpg

And this is Peep o Day lane that the marathon course is on- the pleasant track from Sutton Courtenay back to Abingdon where the lucozade stop is.  Hopefully it will dry out by October!

/members/images/433328/Gallery/popl.jpg

• Options

That's incredible Old Shadowfox, I remember the place where the Lucozade stop is, WOW!  

Latest race details on Website looks like 827 places gone already!  

• Options

Nightmare, the problem is there's so much surface water every time it rains it floods again. I have an Aunty living in Abingdon but I haven't heard that she's been flooded. 

• Options

OMG old  shadowfax!  I haven't been in the centre since last week. Didn't realise the car park was THAT flooded! I've only just started doing the Abingdon parkrun since moving here so Saturday would have been my third. Wonder how quick it will go down? Our village has been really flooded too - I have had trouble finding routes where my feet wouldn't get too wet! Peep- o day lane was one but having cycled it last time the floods were bad a few weeks ago and getting soaked I figured it would be impassable now.  Just feel sooooo sorry for people whose houses have flooded. Nightmare for them. 

Pip, I'm sure you'll be back in shape in no time. You sound keen and disciplined and I bet you'll be more than ready to race come October. And Martin, your approach sounds very sensible. Good luck for Barcelona & training etc. 

• Options

Flatboy- 862 places gone as of now!  Last year it was full in 27 days but we had a mix of on-line and postal entries which obviously takes longer to come in.

Brookie- I'm sure the parkrun will be off again this week too- it took days for the carpark to drain last time.  But watch the FB page for info.  You'll have to come and do the proper course by the river when that dries out-much nicer than the road.  The Didcot runners often make the parkrun part of a pre-marathon long run by running from home and back- and i think you are closer, so no excuse

• Options

Yes really looking forward to doing the proper course. And yes , that's a good idea about making it a "long" run. Ha ha - you're right no excuse! I guess it would be around 10 miles all in then. 

More rain today. Sigh. 

• Options

Brookie- hope you are dry at home.  It can get a bit soggy in the village I think.

• Options

Still dry so far! Shame parkrun cancelled again. 

Anyone know if the marathon is now full? 

• Options

Yes saw on their website that it's the 1st Feb.  Good luck for baby PipG - sure I've come across you on forum threads before - did you run Abingdon previously?  I've also set reminders - I've run it before but we moved to the Abingdon area a few months ago so I can't not run my local marathon can I?!

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I just had a quick look (I have time on my hands!) and entries are still open but the entry list looks quite long so I guess there aren't many left.  I did enter last year after the dog debacle but then I got pregnant so sold my place on.  Am hoping I don't have to sell my place on this year, but it certainly won't be because I am pregnant.  Never again!! image

• Options

Pip- its not full yet. But less than 100 places left- we hold some back for the army who have to enter late as they don't know where they will be in the world in October at this time of year.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Certainly less than 100 now then- I just entered

• Options

Nayan- you were one of the last.  The on-line entries are now full.  There are now only entries for those in the army champs so you will either have to enlist or join the waiting list (use the email form for entries on the contact page of the rcae website)

• Options

Hi all, i'm on the wait list as only made the decision to enter last week,  i've also been advised to ask of places that become available on here....FB...etc.

Was hoping to PB at London last week after some great training in 2013, but I had pleurisy the beginning of the year and had to have 10 weeks off running, so left my fitness in shreds!

Hoping to be back there by October....so,  if anyone hears of a place at all, please could you let me know.  Thanks image

• Options

And another looking for a place, please let me know..

• Options

Melaine, I am able to assist you with your search for a place, drop me a message on here with your contact details and we can take it from there.

• Options

Hi, I am looking for a place if anyone has one for sale....thanks

• Options

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a place too...many thanks.

• Options
    Cammyboy. I have a place. I'll get in touch with the organisers and drop you a message over the weekend.
  • Options

thanks Martin. Thats awesome. Let me know next steps please