Abingdon Marathon 2014

Comments

• Ryan it depends which way the wind blows. The course is mostly on country lanes with bits on footpaths. I suspect miles 7 and 9 (and on 2nd lap 17 and 19?) Will feel most exposed. They are both slightly up hill and fairly straight heading south iirc. After mile 9 there is a bit round the corporate park/estate, after this you turn and head north again. So for last 5 miles we may have the wind behind us or not in front at least.

Good luck with the sub 2:45!

• Just back from running this. What a brilliant event it is. My second time running it (first was last year) and I loved it all. After initially hoping for sub 3h 15m, although I felt really strong I knew pretty early on that that time wasn't going to happen, so just ran to enjoy it. Ended up with 3h 26m, which I'm really pleased with. Amazing support from the locals, probably more were brought out because of the lovely weather, but great cheers pretty much all the way round. 

I actually quite liked the new start - got rid of the congestion and slowing down of all trying to squeeze down that path after 300m. The new last mile felt really tough, but ending on the track was brilliant.

Fantastic marshalls the whole way - probably the best I've ever encountered for a race - a big thank you to all of them.

Did anyone else here see a runner take a deliberate wrong turn going into the Milton Park estate on the first lap? The marshall called after her, but she kept going. I'd been about 50m behind her for the previous few miles and then I never saw her again? Seemed like she took a deliberate short cut, as the real route was highly obvious (not to mention full of other runners and marshalls!!!)

But a fantastic event, and one that is rapidly becoming one of the main highlights of my running year. I'll definitely be back In 2015, and this time the sub 3h 15m target will be mine!!

Hope everyone here who ran had a great run and a fantastic day.

• First time running Abingdon for me and really enjoyed it.  Nice course and great marshalls - I couldn't believe how many there were.

I'd said that I was probably in 3:07/08 shape but would go for a sub 3:05 for a GFA time.  Ran the first 22 miles pretty much bang on 7 minute miles but just ran out of gas at the end running the last 4 in 8's.  So although I missed the sub 3:05 I got a 7 minute PB with 3:07:53 so all in all pretty pleased.

It was certainly a much better run than Bournemouth two weeks ago when I got terrible cramp and finished in 3:21.

Is there a problem with the results - the results on the link above show the gun and chip time the same for eveyone.

• Checked the results and hope they sort them, as currently everyone has got the same gun and chip time.image

• Probably ran with you at some point Sunnysider Phil, was bang on for sub 3:05, until last 5 miles where the pace really dropped off but still finished in 3:05:30. 

Great event and definitely very flat, will be back again

• You can see the chip times in the PDF download which is available from the results site above.

• Quite probably Scott - though I seemed to spend most of it on my own. I had the occasional person pass me and likewise I occasonally went past someone but for the main I seemed pretty much alone!

I was all in black - actually had the same shorts & top on as in my profile pic, with knee high white compresson socks.  It was actually the first time I'd worn them which was a bit of a gamble but I was trying everything to prevent the cramp from B'mouth coming back and it seemed a risk worth taking (it worked out!).

In a way I think I'm pleased my slow down in the last 4 miles put me a few minutes past 3:05.  I'm already questionning myself if there was something I could have done different (which I don't think there was)  For 30 seconds over I'd probably be agonising over it for weeks!  Great run though - congrats!

• Odd - on the download I seem to be the only person I can spot who still has the same gun and chip time 3:07:59 other than those right at the top, but I certainly wasn't on the start line and it was a few seconds until I went over it.  At least it is still under 3:08 but I'd prefer it if the chip time said the 3:07:53 (give or take) like my watch!

• pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

I haven't even got a resultimage 'there are no results to show' when I try and searchimage

• I've contacted the timing company about the issue, but as you note the downloadable pdf shows the correct results.  Pleased you enjoyed it. 

Sorry to those inconvenienced by the parking problem at Wootton Road- we had been assured by the carpark owners that the carpark would be unlocked and it wasn't. 

• Pinkbug- I suggest you contact the race director from the race website.  Some runners were DQ'd for wearing headphones.

• pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

unable to get onto website at the moment, definitely wasn't wearing headphones eitherimage

• Great event overall image

I appreciate that road closures for the whole route isn't possible but it does mean that there's an awful lot of jumping on/off pavements and dodging cars/people.

The track finish is great and all of the marshalls were fantastic. Shame about the wind but there's nothing anyone can do about that!

Pinkbug -

Any luck here?....

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/results/results.aspx?meetingid=118857

• Yeah agree Ryan, many of the paths were only wide enough to run single file and when other pedestrians were on path had to hop onto the road. 

Great racing from everyone image

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭

Well done to the organisers - a few things might be nice to improve (narrow paths & I'm glad we didn't get any rain as that off-road stuff could have been tricky) but overall it was a good race.

Good to see Mick & Phil supporting today (dad wheeling his son in a wheelchair) & nice to chat to runners all the way around without anyone zoning out with their headphones.

• A big thanks to the organisers and marshsalls. I really appreciated the enthusiasim around the course. I thought the alterations to the course at the end worked well too. Hope to be back next year.
  • Scott and Gavo- race organizers have to use the  paths/ roads that are there.  The race entry fee won't support major roadworks etc

• Oh, one more thing.

I think that most entrants would happily pay £2/3 extra for entry to have small bottles of water at the stations rather than plastic cups.

The lucozade station and sponges were appreciated image

• +1 for bottles or those pouches that they have at Brighton.  I hate plastic cups and find it impossible to drink out of them without choking.

I only visited one water station where I ended up getting half a mouthful of water so instead chose to wait for the 'isotonic drinks' stations which were much better.  (I know they were branded as lucozade stations but to me it looked more like happy shopper isotonic drink - not that I either studied the bottle nor care too much, it was welcome and you chuck 85% of it away anyway!)

• Any idea when entry for next years race will open?

Was supporting at Milton yesterday and nice to beable to applaude the runners twice.

One thing I did wonder is the race stated a 5 hr cut off time though looking at the results the slower runners 5 hrs+ still got their chip times recorded.i wasn't at Tilsley Park to see the finish but assume the slower runners still got to run over finish line and get a medal ie organisers hadn't packed up etc!!

this is important to me if I enter as I am one of the slower runners (ran 4 hrs 57 mins at Chester marathon 2 weeks ago though hope to get faster before Oct 15)

any feedback appreciated.

Well done to all yesterday,looked a great race image

• thank you to the organisers and especially the marshalls, who were fantastic. +1 for water pouches and -1 for cups in the future.

It was a good race, a bit windy at times, but enjoyed it and sneaked a 16 minute pb!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

susiebe1 - yes, the slower runners did get to finish and pick up a medal/t-shirt.  Very generous of the organisers to allow that as they had to obviously keep the marshalls and the infrastructure in place beyond the stated 5hrs.  My brother was one of the last few to finish (5.37), and tbh I was surprised he was allowed to carry on.  The finish arch had been deconstructed but the timing mat & finish line was still in place along with the finish line clock.

I think this is a great race (done it six times now), and the Abingdon Amblers put on a superb event with an extraordinary number of volunteers/marshals.  Feel bad for not being able to say thank you to them as I was running past. I sincerely hope the running community continues to support club organised races like this where the focus is very much on the runners and the race, as they are a welcome and valued alternative to the big (expensive) event company organised races where the focus is on charities, fancy dress, celebs etc.

• Fantastic race yesterday, I didn't know what to expect as it was my first go at this one but the marshalls were absolutely fantastic, couldn't fault their enthusiasm or instructions. It is frustrating sometimes when you feel you're stuck behind another runner but there were only a couple of places where this happened and unless you're in the top quarter of the table then I think that their would be minimal effect in the long run ... bank energy not time people! image 

It's nice to have a marathon entrance fee that doesn't make you feel like you should take out a second mortgage to raise the funds! But I would also pay an extra couple of quid to get water in bottles, I take my own hydration belt but I still fill it up in the 2nd half and it's impossible with cups, and I really can't drink out of them at all.

I'd rate this 9/10 (minus a point for drinks in cups) but would 100% recommend this to others, particularly as a first time attempt as the course has very minimal inclines, very quick as long as you can keep focus if you find you're running on your own.

• Love love love this race. My legs were still tired from Berlin and I knew it from the start.... That said I was feeling fit otherwise and had a great first half, running it almost a minute and a half quicker than Berlin - but My legs were shot to pieces by the second half! I just ran to enjoy it as I felt fit as a fiddle but my legs were just tired. I finished in 4.19.04 but I'm happy enough with that. Seeing as I got my PB in Berlin, there was no pressure on this one.

The support is amazing and the organisation brilliant. Yeah bottles are easier than cups but I'd rather run this race with cups than have the price become extortionate or for it to not happen. Abingdon is in a semi rural area so unless the route were all on main roads, there will always be a few twists and turns and muddy bits or narrow bits. That's part of the charm! Thanks to all the organisers.

I ran the first half with a lovely bloke who'd put up the finish line scaffolding the day before. He seemed to know everyone on the course and chatted away to me making the first half go very quickly. I lost him about mile 15. Old Shadowfax - if you know him I hope he was pleased enough with his time and say hi to him from me!
  • @susiebe1 I followed the last chap in and quite a lot of the stuff had been packed up and some of the marshalls and signs had gone. I've done this race myself twice, finishing in the 4:20-30 range, and even then it was a lonely experience in the second half I can tell you.

I really wouldn't say it was the best race for someone who's not sure they can finish in five hours or less - if I was advising a friend in that position I would suggest going for a different race, and there are plenty of races I *would* suggest. In particular there are several races that from experience I can confirm would suit a 5-6 hour finisher image

For someone pretty experienced who was confident of 4:59:59 and was happy with being on their own for most of the race I'd say no problem though.

• Hi Fido and Dan

thanks for your feedback.great that the slower runners were allowed to finish.Think most would accept that some of the signs/Marshall's etc would have gone but still good to get an official time.what I would hate to happen is if someone got to 24 miles but were told to stop running as had already taken 4.5 hours.image

Im hoping to get my time down to 4.40 ish and don't mind a quiet second half of the race.Do a lot of my training running through Milton,Sutton Courtney so makes sense to do my local raceimage

I also note the disqualification of six runners for wearing headphones,good on the organisers as so often that rule isn't brought to bear.

• I'm a fan of wearing headphones in races but I must say that on this occasion it was better to not be wearing them, there was traffic and single-file tracks etc.

• First time I'd run this and rates as my favourite non-city event. Really nice course and was surprised at the amount of people spectating. Seen a lot about cups v bottles and though I'd choose bottles every time the fact that there were so many water stations meant I could happily take a cup at each one and do the pinch at the top trick so I got it down without choking, safe in the knowledge that I could get another half a cup down me in a few miles. Had a great time and though I didn't get the 3.30 I wanted 3.37 and 7 minute PB works for me. Even "enjoyed" the fairly long walk back to the car as it gave me a bit of a stretch before the drive home. Marshalls, as has been said, were fantastic and very enthusiastic. Definitely recommend it. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

On the back of little training and with some speed walking during miles 20-24 I got round in 4:11.  At about mile 24 I caught sight of my brother ahead which really spurred me on.  I got past with less than half a mile to go and managed to keep going.

The downside of water bottles is that most people seem to only take a sip and then throw the bottle down which becomes a nightmare job for people clearing up to empty them all. Where there are bottles I carry mine until it's empty and leave it at the next water station or at the foot of a race sign.

The secret to drinking out of a cup on the run is to squeeze the lip of the cup between your first finger and thumb, creating a spout which you can drink out of easily enough.