Abingdon Marathon 2014

123457»

Comments

• Photos are available online.

I think I've been diddled...  I can clearly see me crossing the finish line with the closck showing 3:07:57 so I'm not sure where the extra 2 seconds came from to make my gun time 3:07:59! haha!!

Incidently, I contacted the timing company about the fact that my gun and chip time were the same even though I didn't start at the front and was 10/15m back and they confirmed my chip didn't activate on the starting mats so they adjusted my chip time to 3:07:53 to match my watch... which was nice of them! image

• Brookie - that was Simon.  He didn't finish, dropped out at about mile 21.  I'll pass on your regards tho!!

• Brookie- it was indeed Simon who I gather overcooked it in the 1st half of the race forgetting that he's no longer a V40 and ran out of puff. There's a nice pic of the 2 of you chatting along Peep a day lane!  Fortunately he had enough energy to take down the finish line scaffolding as the 5hr+ finishers were crossing the line.  I think all those who looked like they would be over 5hrs were warned at the 1/2 way mark that the course would start to be closed down

So pleased you all had a good day- hope to see you again next year.

• Yes his name was Simon. Thanks you two! Yes we were doing just under 9 minute miles for the first half - it was great fun. But yeah, the second half - not so much! And yes, you will definitely see me next year! I knew there was a reason I moved to this area...!
  • Out of curiosity, if the entry limit was 1,100 and there was a waiting list, why were there only 636 finishers? What happened to the other 464?!

• As a 5+ hour finisher, (had hoped for 4:59:59) we were very well looked after and monitored to make sure we were safe, healthy and ok to keep going.

I loved it, the marshals were amazing, the support from locals and organisers was fantastic and I am so pleased that all finishers were able to get a time and a medal having gone past the later 5+ finishers at the half way point!

A great club classic, wish there were more races like this one (or that I could find more races like this one if they exist!)

Thanks to the photographers, you were great and friendly when it was lonely out on the roads - loads of great pictures to choose from!

Also thanks to Mike at the sponge station (I'm sure it was Mike not Mick) for the water for my bottle and the lovely friendly encouraging supporters there.  Life saver.  My running buddy was also very grateful for the gel image

Thank you Abingdon.  Never say never, I will go sub 5 hours one day!!

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Lovely race. Quite tempted to do it again.