running shops in London?

what would you rate as the best 3? and why?

Comments

• I only use The Runners Shop in Beckenham. Top advice, no complaints !
  • I've heard that Run & Become is good, although I'm not a Londoner so I've not been. ISTR that it's somewhere between Buckingham Palace and Victoria...
  • I bought my shoes in Sweatshop Covent Garden about a year ago - very helpful - got my fit analysed by computer thing etc, and sales assistant very knowledgeable. It's about time a got some new shoes & will probably head back there.
  • that should be *feet* not *fit*!
  • city runner ar very good, but run and become are a bit better, they will let you run round outside with the trainers on etc
  • Amy, I ditto that remark and will be heading back there in a few months to get my next pair. Bought the rest of my kit in there too (despite being a small shop!).
  • Went to run and become, and the lady attendants are very young and attractive so I was happy. Oh, and they also were well informed and helpful...blah blah blah. They're on a little pedestrian street right next to ST james park tube st. and theres lots of hilarious fat city types having to run up and down in their potential new shoes - worth a visit just for that really.
  • My favourite - Runner's Need, Camden.
    Why? Incredibly friendly, helpful staff and it's right on my doorstep.

I don't have a number two or three because I've never had to go anywhere else.
  • I think that "Run & Become" in Victoria is excellent with a helpful team and a very good stock. Tony Smith is very involved in athletics and this shows in his commitment to the shop and the customers. It is not far from Victoria Street and Petty France, a few minutes'walk from St. James's Park underground station. I like the freedom to try on the shoe and have a jog outside in the alley outside the shop.

I find all of the Sweatshop chain of shops very good too. These are often staffed by runners, (serious runners!), and each shop has a good stock. If out of stock then the right shoe can be delivered pretty quickly, usually within a couple of days.

I do not have a third recommendation since I use only these two shops, and of the two I prefer "Run & Become" for these reasons - and I can get there at lunchtime from my office.
  • Tony Smith served me once (on my last and last ever visit to Run & Become) and I have to remark on his commitment to customers. Having tried on a shoe, I decided it was neither suitable nor comfortable and he then more or less dropped me like a stone and went and served someone else without saying another word. That's not good customer service in my book and I won't be returning ever. I haven't a good word to say about them these days.
  • I've used Sweatshop in Teddington and Covent Garden and been pleasantly surprised at how knowledgeable and friendly they were - Teddington in particular had a huge range of gear. Quite looking forward to when my Asics run out and I have to go back!
  • you should have served by one of the nice young ladies then. They're great, know their stuff, and not afraid to tell me I was being stupid (I was joking about not liking the colour - they sharply told me not to worry about the looks). Most of all they are very friendly - don't listen to the dog walker up there and go find out for yourself.
  • Hey, only giving my point of view, just like everyone else...
  • The only drawback with Run and Become is that they sometimes close the shop for a week or so while they go on holiday (quite unusual in modern marketing!)So if youre making a special trip ring first to make sure they're open.
    I would recommend them and Sweatshop for the same reasons as above. Don't know Runner's Need.
  • Liz Reef, agreed but I think that this is for two weeks in August so it is not too big a deal.
    I am sorry that Dog Walker did not have a great experience, but maybe your bark is worse than your bite and you could give the shop another go.
  • I am another fan of Run and Become. They have always been incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and really seem to want to do right by you rather than just sell you something as expensive as possible.
  • Never been to Run & Become but like Runners Need in Camden and Sweatshop in Covent Garden (small) and North Finchley (much bigger).
  • Love Runners Need in camden.

Only get stuff that I've tried on internet, but ontherun.co.uk is good for online shopping
  • Jon - you are everywhere today....
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Have found the R & B shop a bit hit & miss over the last year, depending upon how busy it is & who you get. I've found Runners Need a bit better as they didn't tend to have as many customers when I went there. Like Sweatshop in Covent Garden but they have so little stock it's hardly worth going.
  • I too have found the service from R&B a bit uneven. On the other hand, Runners' Needs in Camden always seems to have friendly knowledgeable staff who don't (seem to) mind how long you take to make up your mind and are happy for you to try shoes out on the street.
  • From recent experience - I bought new shoes yesterday - woul say:

Sweatshop (Covent Garden)
    Very helpful and patient staff, did a footscan and tried about 5 different shoes. Unfortunately they did'nt have the right size in what I wanted so I was forced to go elsewhere. Felt so guilty at their service I "forced" myself to buy a new top and tights (got the RW 10% discount as well).

Run and Become
    Heard the variable views about this shop but its just next to our London office and had what I wanted in stock in my size (Saucony Grid Hurricanes). I was underwhelmed by the staff although to be fair that may have been because I stated exactly what I wanted. I did try on 2 or 3 other shoes there as well and ran up and down the street to try them out (always embarrassing in a suit!). Bought the shoes but did think in general their stuff is expensive.

Stinky
  • Just wanted to add my recent experience of two shops...when I started running, about three months ago, I went up to Runner's Need, and after watching me run the assistant said I was a neutral runner and sold me shoes accordingly. But in the past few weeks I've been getting problems, and wondered if the shoes were right. I realised it could just be my muscles getting used to all this new exertion, but my sister, who overpronates for Britain and has to run with orthotics, suggested I might overpronate as well. So I've just been to Run and Become, with the suspect shoes. After seeing me run, the assistant said I did indeed overpronate, albeit mildly, and now I've got a more stable pair of shoes. Which leads me to wonder, is mild overpronation hard to spot? Should it have been spotted when I looking for that first pair of shoes?