2»

Comments

• Thanks Jindalee.

With 60mph winds we could be one of three things I think:

- running very fast

- running very slow

- running sideways like a crab!

• Lol Andy

I would love the first option for a PB but the third would be more entertaining for the spectatorsimage
  • I think it's going to be option 3 all the way. My enthusiasm for this is switching between non existant to the other extreme of thinking clearly no chance of a PB so just get out and enjoy it as it could be totally be epic image

• I am going just to enjoy it

i have just read a book by phil Hewitt on the addiction of marathon running, very good book and he is from gosport and lives in Hampshire.

i have taken from the book that some races won't be a PB but just to enjoy them for what they are, also I don't fancy wet feet on Sunday!

• I've read that book - loved it.

I am now facing up to the liklihood of a DNS due to the incompetence of British Gas engineers and been stuck at home in Hertfordshire rather than being at the in-laws in Pompey. Not happy!

• Muddy beach + boggy grass on playing field + strong coastal wind + potential for making a wrong turn + pedestrians getting in the way = very slow times ! Yet it's still a brilliant race and one of my favourites.

Does anyone have recent local knowledge of what the muddy beach is like? Last year I saw someone being lifted out of a particularly deep patch by TWO people.

The question is pure-connects or pure-grits. I strongly suspect the latter.

• I am going to wear my old trainers, only got new ones last month, 

2 wheels that's a real shame if you can't make it. Lovely and sunny here today hope tmw will be kind!

• sorry to hear that 2-wheels.  I'm going for the same as you Zoe, old trainers, and just enjoy the run.

This will be half-marathon no 99 for me image, hopefully 100-up at Reading next weekend.

• This will be my 7th!

is there a 100 half marathon club?

• How windy was that! 

Great medal and goodie bag

not used to running on grass found that hard

• Well done Zoe on your 7th HM.  I don't think there's a 100 HM club image

It was bracing wasn't it?  That stretch from 8 miles to 11 made me stoop so low I thought I was going to headbutt the pavement!

I agree re medal and goody bag, very good. When I got home my family were rooting through the bag to see what they could have!

Pleased with my run personally, I managed to finish strongly.

Onto Reading this Sunday!

• I put at least a minute or more on each of my miles in that wind! 

I have entered John Austin half on march 9th in brockenhurst, never even been there but fancy giving it a go. 

Well done Andy, was surprised to see almost 200 less people did it this year compared to last, I would do it again

• I'm assuming that'll be in the New Forest then!  should be a nice run.

Yes, I would do this event again too.

• Yes new forest, 

when did you start running your half marathons, I worked out if I ran 4 a year it would take me 20 years to run 100! Shame there is no 100 marathon club it's a big achievement. 

I am 37 this year and only started entering races in 2009

• My first ever HM was the Reading HM in 1984!!  This year will be 30 years on, and I wanted my 100th to be Reading again.

It's taken me a while but I only really got back into running in about 2009.  I wanted to reach 100 HMs before I get to 50 (later this year).

We'll have to start a 100HM club then!

• Jesus that was windy!

Made it it to the start against expectations (though my planned weekend at the inlaws actually turned out to be me arriving just in time to go out for dinner on Saturday night) and so glad I did - loved it! The last 6 miles really were grim. I have a slight calf strain so had planned to run at 10 minute mile pace to avoid aggravating it further. Found out on the morning that my Garmin footpod was broken so pacing was a challenge but was bang on it for the first 7 miles. Dropped off the pace slightly in the second half and finished in 2hr 15, way off my PB but I'm quite satisfied with that. hardest conditions I've ever ran it but I'd run that course again without hesitation.

As a slight aside, my girlfriend doesn't often come to watch me run, but said that this was by far the friendliest race that she has been too.

• When I ran portsmouth marathon I saw quite a few people running with the 100 marathon club vests, I thought wow that's a big achievement, then I heard one of them telling another runner that he had not run 100 but that's the aim, I felt better after hearing that! 

I got very comfortable running gosport half which is why I want to try and run some different races. 

i still can't believe there is no 100 half marathon club! 

• How was the marathon Zoe?  I'l admit to being tempted by that one.

A couple of my friends are in the 100 Marathon club (each of them 500+) and another is heading for the club (he's on around 60).

I'm like you in that I like to try different events (my last 5 HMs were all new to me - (Gosport, MK Winter, Gran Canaria, Dorney and Portsmouth) but I have a couple of "favourites" I always go back to (Wokingham, Reading, Bracknell).

• It was my first marathon and I had run up to 21 miles in training fine, got knee pain about 7 miles in, get pain when I bring my leg through rather than planting it. Only get it on long runs, must change my gait when I get tired.

had wet feet, socks and trainers from mile 2 and hate running with wet feet! Found some of the terrain hard as it was slippery in parts and I ran slow as I did not want to fall over. At least at the half way point you knew you were on your way home. 

I would say at mile 18 I started to see some strange running styles and lots of walkers,    

But I did it in 5:06:46 bit slower than what I wanted but I ran all the way and did not stop, felt nauseous for ages after I had finished. I would recommend it, it's a mix of terrain which makes it different from the road races, however I feel need to redeem myself! 

2wheels I bet your glad you made it, the wind was evil! My back hurts I think that's from trying to keep myself upright! 

Ran a slow 4 mile today

• Good you made it then 2wheels!

People at work think I've been away as my face was glowing yesterday after being wind-battered on Sunday image

That's a great marathon effort Zoe, and not on an easy course.

• What's next after reading Andy?

• Yes very glad I got down to Pompey and was able to run it. I really enjoyed it and after a couple of duff events at the end of last year I needed to enjoy running again.

Only downside is the realisation that I am no where near fit enough for the Manchester Marathon so being honest I think that I'll look at a change of plans for the rest of the year now.

• 2wheels - I feel the same about an early April marathon (I'm in Brighton) but I'll do the event and just "survive" it!

Zoe - after the Brighton Marathon, I'm in for Bracknell HM.  How about you?

• Exbury gardens 10k in march

gosport 5k in June, second year for this race

d-day 10k in june

southdowns marathon relay in a team of 4 in june

great south run.

gosport half and I am sure I will find races inbetween that, managed to do 13 last year.

• That's a good selection.

I've a couple of 10ks in May:  Green Park and the Bupa London (I ran that one with my son last year and loved it).

I was looking at South Downs too - probably the half, but there is the Midsummer Munro the same day.  I also want to do Bacchus again in Sept - really enjoyed that last year.

I'd really like to try and fit another marathon in too - maybe Nice-Cannes in No.

I'd also like to do Gosport again - even if it's just for the cake image