Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Need a little advice,I was planning to crack the 1hr 30 at this race and running with the 1,30 pacemaker.But probably due to the weather im behind schedule with training.

Did a half in practise today at 1hr 37.Felt good,wasnt exhausted at the end,but its far off the target for next Sundays race.My question is,shall I run as planned with 1hr 30 pacemaker and hope for the best,or run with the 1hr 35 lot and try and break away near the end to get nearer to beating my pb of 1hr 33 ?

• Innermonologue wrote (see)

Hello, everyone.  My friend and I are all set for the half marathon.  Just one small problem:  forgot to book parking and now it's all full!  Does anyone know where we can still park near the stadium?  Thanks!

There is a parking area that is a relatively short walk from the stadium.  It's in Whitley Wood Recreation Ground and usually costs around £7 or £8.  It's used on matchdays and is part of the Mad Stad official parking areas.  I park there each year for the RHM.  It can get boggy but last year they had a tractor there towing cars out that got stuck!

If you want to look it up on Google a nearby postcode is RG2 0TD (Imperial Way).

It's a closer option if you didn't want to use the suttle buses.

• Hi All,

Unfortunately I've picked up a last-minute injury so won't be able to run this race - therefore I have a place for sale if anyone wants it! Contact me if you're interested

• Hi Rich, sorry to hear that!. I would like to buy the ticket, happy to collect. My email is jowilder@hotmail.co.uk
  • Stll got two spaces availble to anyone who wants to make me an offer for one / both. Able to deliver locally within reason (i'm in Wokingham). PM me if interested or leave a note on the site)

• My local park run is back this Saturday after being flooded out for months.....would it be a bad idea to do this the day before Reading? 

• Reading will be my first half - number hasn't arrived yet! Apparently last packs sent out yesterdayimage

Wouldn't mind advice given crowds. Reckon based on my training I should be aiming at 1:50, but group want to run with 2hr pm. Is that the busiest group/time? Do I stick to slower time as my first race and just see how I feel at 8miles or head off with a faster PM and hopefully smaller crowds? 

• Emjay - do it slowly.

Amanda - head out by yourself. Surely the biggest crowds will be people hanging round pacemakers. Then if you do slow a bit you can always just join up with your friends and the 2-hour pacemaker after all.

• just do your own thing dont understand this pace maker fad.you dont train with one so not sure why you need one in a race you could always buy a Garmen or similar

• Dennis - well even the pro runners use pacemakers.ive run loads of races without one,the only time was reading last year and I found it good for me on the day,maybe there not for you.but there must be a demand or they wouldn't be there.

I've got a garmin,but find I'm constantly looking at the watch when running to pace.im not good at it,so the pacemaker does the job for me.
  • Hi All, This is my first half marathon and I feel so unprepared... (especially after reading all of your comments!) Do you think there will be people walking/running the half? I'm doing it for charity and don't really want to drop out, am getting slightly nervous with the sweep times. I've been told to allow half an hour to get over the start line and then you only have 10 minutes to get to the first mile before you're 'swept' up. Any friendly advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and good luck!!

• Hi Samantha - good luck on your first HM this Sunday.  My son's girlfriend will be in the same boat as you by taking part in her first HM.

There will be people who will take 3+ hours for this event, including those who will be walking some of the course.  The start usually clears within 15-20 mins so you should be ok, and I'm not sure they rigorously enforce the sweep times.

All the best, and definitely try to enjoy it too image

• I still have a space for sale if anybody wants it! Do let me know if you're interested

• 4 sleeps! eek! blimey it comes around quick. weather forecast is looking good. 

Dennis - I don't think pace makers are a new fad. Either way they are really useful to lots of people who struggle to run an even pace - even with a watch. I find they help slow me down a bit and realise I'm going too fast/slow. My method is to run slightly ahead of pace groups and if I feel them catching me I speed up a bit. One year I motivated myself by starting with 2:10 pacer with the aim of catching up with the 2:05 pacer. That was fun. I did it. I sort of see them as race clocks for us normal runners.

Sam - I'm always amazed in races when I pass people after two miles who are already walking but your post has made me realise why - it's the fear of the sweep.

• Probably a daft question, but does anyone know whether spectators will be allowed to take dogs into the stadium on the day? My parents are coming along to cheer me on but will probably have the dog with them. Would be nice if they could see me cross the finish line however I expect as a general rule they don't allow dogs inside....

• I am taking the 2:00:00 pace team and have done it few times now. There are some crowds around pacers but on the flip side we run without obstructions as I call through. So it's busy but we get a clear run. I have run in the past with pacers and without and it really depends entirely on your objectives. Come and say "hi" on the start line if you want to be sub 2 and not worry about pace. Enjoy the day, keep smiling and Fingers crossed the weather is ok. 

• andyp-    . image  Hope you enjoy your 100th  half.

• Thank you Paulie B - I'm looking forward to it (hoping the weather will be nothing like last year!

Are you running this Sunday?

• This will be my second Reading Half; it was my first ever organised race just two years back. Training has gone well this time around, but with tight calves after last weekends run I'm taking the taper period seriously to ensure I'm raring to go at the start.

I've never used pacers before, and I do own a Garmin which I could utilise, but for me I'm seriously considering tucking in behind the 1hr 40min pacer at the weekend and giving it a go. That way I can let someone else worry about keeping pace, and I can focus my mind on other more important things..... like enjoying the experience!

My top tip would be to curb your excitement when you see the Madejski Stadium coming in to view whilst running along the dual carriageway (A33) towards the finish. A quick look at the course map and you'll note there is a short detour into Green Park before you can continue up to the stadium. It doesn't add on a great deal, but can be fairly demoralising when you think you're almost there and suddenly there's more.

Enjoy everyone! image

• I do wish they could skip out that Green Park bit at the end and you just run straight into the stadium. The biggest downer is seeing people 5 mins ahead of you on the other side of the loop.

• It's not the best is it! Very much a case of so close yet so far! I've heard stories of people jumping over the middle bit!!! Why anyone would do that I don't know - only cheating themselves!

• Johnny2323 wrote (see)

I do wish they could skip out that Green Park bit at the end and you just run straight into the stadium. The biggest downer is seeing people 5 mins ahead of you on the other side of the loop.

It's character building image

• Ha! Love it. 

Of course the best bit of that loop is that you also get to see people you are 5 mins ahead of.

• Guys how steep is the hill early on? It's not clear from the course profile on the website

• Professorplod I was wondering the same thing and came accross this http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/80037631/

If you drop the yellow man around the 2.5 mile mark you can see it on google street maps. It looks steepish but not too long. At least its early on!

• Steep and not too long sums it up perfectly. Plus the good news is that once you get to the top it's pretty much flat/downhill all the way into town. Just to add further context to the hill, when driving up it I have to change down from 4th to 3rd gear, but have never needed 2nd to get up it.

The second hill after half way (Russell Street) isn't as steep, but is a fair bit longer. Good news here is that you'll find a pub at the bottom offering a special alternative to the usual water/lucozade! image
  • i personally never look at the course before a race. it is what it is. lets just enjoy it

• Yes, does anyone ever take up the pubs offer? I have been tempted in the past...

• Stoopid question I know, but the chip is in the race number this year, right? I have not received a chip for my shoe, only the race number with a chip type looking thing on the back...sorry for being dumb...

• Pretty sure that's how the timing was last year, just on the bib. Have an awesome run guys, I loved it last year, just a tad of race envy here image