South Downs Trail Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• How did you find d day 10k?

• It was ok, but a rather boring course. I've entered my comments on the events questionnaire, where you entered yours. I found it very hot and would have welcomed an additional water station. I don't normally take a drink during a 10k, but felt the need yesterday. I was second male in the 65+ category, the first being another member of Hardley Runners. I get the impression from your comments that you quite enjoyed it. Were you pleased with your time?

If it is as hot for the South Downs, I will take it easier than I had intended. The main thing is to finish in one piece.

• I did it at the Mountbatten centre last year and preferred that course, I don't mind laps although it can be disheartening having to run past the finish knowing you still have a few more miles to run,

I was 4 minutes slower this year, it was so hot I just wanted to get round, I always carry a drink regardless of weather, when I was in the army on a fitness march of 8 miles I got beasted and denied water and ended up with a heat injury, that day it was overcast and cloudy, now it's some psychological and habit why I take a drInk! 

My neighbour had to pull out as he was too hot and felt unwell, 2 members of the relay team were also running, I am doing the first leg of the marathon relay but really hope it's not too hot! 

• I'm also hoping it's not too hot on the 21st!

• Blimey, this isn't long now. Better start training!image
  • I was hoping to get out to qecp today but had to get rubber on exaughst on car fixed, planning to go Friday and do some hills

• Got my pack through today! Makes it feel more real now image

• Mine hasn't arrived yet.

When I lived in Waterlooville, I regularly ran to QE Country Park and ran up and down Butser Hill. A few years ago, I did the Butser Hill Challenge. That was approx. 4.5 miles, but all ups and downs.

I'll look out for my race pack tomorrow.

• I am in gosport so have to travel for hills, quite looking forward to it now

• I'm in Dibden, very close to the New Forest, so most of my hill work is done there. Will be eagerly awaiting todays post to see if my pack arrives.

• Race pack arrived this afternoon.

Ran a good pace 8 miles in the forest yesterday evening with club. Just an easy pace 5 miles on road this morning.

• I have done a 12 hr shift at work today, late tmw and then plan for friday to go to qecp for hilly run, 

• Good luck with that. We have a hill rep session in the forest this evening, and I will be doing the Brockenhurst parkrun on Saturday.

• Hi all. I've received my race pack too now. I was just wondering what trainers people were wearing? Normal road trainers or trail trainers? Good luck to all running this. I'm getting quite excited. It'll make a change to the normal road races I run!

• I have some trail shoes but I am only doing the relay, I ran the red route at qecp and it was hot!

• Last year I ran the full marathon in my normal road trainers, and had no problems at all. I intend doing the same this year for the half.  

• what time are you hoping for? I think for me i would be happy just to get round it, where does the half start from?

• I'm hoping for 2.20, but it depends on the temperature. If it's too hot I'll probably be slower, but if it's cool, I hope to go quicker. The half starts at the base of Butser Hill, with the first mile running up it.

By way of contrast, I'm running in the Brockenhurst parkrun this morning, which is 4 laps round the college grounds, all on grass, and flat as a pancake.

• Arlesford 10k for me tmw, never been there before! 

Then hopefully a short run tuesday night as I finish nights tue morning, then run Thursday eve and then rest until sat! 

• Good luck with the Arlesford 10k tomorrow. I've never run it either, so would be interested in your race comments.

I'm doing the Lordshill 10k the week after the HM.

• Arlesford was really good, free easy parking, 30 second walk from car park to registration, really friendly rotary club marshalls, there was a 500 metre dash for under 7, 1k for 7-11 year old and a 4k fun run as well as the 10k, children raced round the field so you got to see them and they all got nice medals too, 

it was very hilly! I am so glad I have been practising hills as I would have found it very hard, I don't think it's a PB course on a 10k time but its great. I am pleased I got to practice a hill race before next week, you got a nice t shirt, medal, water bottle, and watercress I would recommend it 

• Thanks Zoe, sounds worth looking at for next year. Did a 10 mile run in the New Forest this morning with a club mate. This is my last "long run" now until Saturday.

• Good luck tomorrow Zoe. Forecast is 22 degrees, which shouldn't be too bad. It was 26 degrees last year when I ran the marathon.

• I am going first so quite pleased about that, will you have people on route to cheer you on?

• I've no one on the route to cheer me on, but there are 4 of us from the running club doing it. We are travelling together, but probably won't run together. I'm hoping to be first finished, and if so, will cheer the others in.

• What time does your race start!

• How was you run? Very hot today! I did my leg in 1:20 and I fell over!

• Sounds good Zoe, hope you are ok now.

The half marathon course had to be revised, as there was a cycle race on the downs, and they refused to let us use part of the route. To make up the distance, we had to run up Butser Hill again, round the radar station etc and back down again. The total distance was 14.78 miles and my time was 2.33.35.

According to the results, there were only 32 marathon finishers, with 9 pages of DNF's. I presume the heat and the thought of doing butser hill again was too much for them.

• I think the timings ate not all in, we stayed until 3pm and hundreds were coming though, they said there were still people out after the 6Hr mark.

my name does not have a time by it yet so hopefully it will be tmw! 

I am ok, got a little sunburnt! I ran 7.7 miles and my whole team enjoyed it, will you be back next year?