strength training

hi all,

I am currently running 7 days a week approx 60 miles a week, and i want to incorporate some strength training, however i'm not sure when the best time to do it is. I don't mind training twice a day, but if i'm tired i don't know how much i will benefit from the stregth training and also i don't want to do it on easy days if it means its going to affect my training on hard days. My routine currently is one long run 16-20 mile, a medium run 11-15, 2 speed sessions, intervals or tempo and some easy running 3-8 miles.

Comments

• This is too specific to put onto an internet forum. Add lots more detail or talk to someone in the real world. What are you training for at the moment? 

• doug davis 2 wrote (see)

hi all,

I am currently running 7 days a week approx 60 miles a week, and i want to incorporate some strength training, however i'm not sure when the best time to do it is. I don't mind training twice a day, but if i'm tired i don't know how much i will benefit from the stregth training and also i don't want to do it on easy days if it means its going to affect my training on hard days. My routine currently is one long run 16-20 mile, a medium run 11-15, 2 speed sessions, intervals or tempo and some easy running 3-8 miles.

I'm currently on a similar weekly mileage to you (60-70) and I do like to get one gym weights routine in every week. I have stopped doing leg weights (quad/hamstring extensions & squats) simply because they left me with as much grief in terms of discomfort as a fast track session......and I wasn't convinced that the session was adding much to my running performances.

I do still do core work and a full upper body weights routine incorporating between 10 and 30 reps per exercise, the value to running is probably mostly cosmetic. The day that I do this I often do an easy run before the workout (up to 3 miles) and the same after.

• Next week I'm being given a 13 weeks strength and conditioning program - my friend very very good in sports science and in final year - the study has shown (I'll be doing max vo2 tests) at least 5% improvement over 5-10km times by polishing efficiency and technique

I haven't done any core work before this and I'm excited to give it a go-

I would say you should only be running 6/7 days with a full rest day - now the rest day can be anything just not running - cross/cycle/gym

Im doing less miles but my schedule will be

Sunday - Long run

Monday - Steady + gym

Tuesday - Session

Wednesday - Steady + gym

Thursday - Session

Friday - Rest/cross train / recovery run + gym

Saturday session/ Steady

So 3 gym sessions in there

If you want to build miles (which my plan will be) I will do a steady/easy/recovery run on the day of the session - just usual progression

Id say establish miles + running consistency first - then add gym

You shouldn't be "tired going into hard days"

Ruins the quality of the session and the goal
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Sorry rumbled English - on my iPhone

12 week program -

And he is very very knowledgable - said I couldn't not include it in my running plans
  • Philomena how can you say it's too specific and ask for more detail?! Who should I ask in "the real world?" I thought a forum of runners would be the best people to

Seek advice from! Not really training for anything at the minute. I'm considering a spring marathon but nothing concrete. Thanks for advice scotch egg and Jamie
  • Doug 

By end of next week I will be formulating a plan to incorporate 3 gym sessions into my running. I am away having lots of stuff done in Brighton Uni 

I am off due to illness (well recovering) at the moment so wont be high mileage but I will post the plan and I will post what stuff I will be doing over the 12 weeks. I will be doing the 3 gym sessions to start before running most likely

My plan will take me from effective 0 mileage ( 0 running for 5 weeks) upto 60+ miles at least per week eventually