Long run

13»

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bill, let us assume you are a member of a club or society and you are a long serving regular attendee regularly giving out useful advice that many people find helpful. 

One day cougie rocked up from nowhere and started slating your contribution. Would you find that mildly rude?

• DT19, I think you'll find that this thread was littered with rudeness well before I joined in and that is what I have taken particular exception to.

Are you saying that on this forum cougie has earned the right to be rude? And that I have not yet earnt the right to challenge said rudeness?

Hmm, that seems more than mildly unfair but not an entirely unexpected opinion given previous contributions in this thread.

As 'seren nos' said, the OP has the right to ignore any posts on this public forum, as do I, as does cougie and as do you. I simply choose not to until I get bored image

I have no expectations that the judgemental contributors to this particular thread will see the error of their ways. The ongoing exchanges are at least reinforcing the fact that my initial evaluation of said contributors was accurate.

Thanks guys 'n' gals image

• Since you only have 5 posts and have never started a thread of your own, I'm interested to know what drew you this this one and why you joined RW. 

If you consider Cougie to be rude then I respectfully suggest this forum may not be the place for you as, in time, you will come across plenty of genuine rudeness that will probably take your indignation right off the scale.

• Bill - the most annoying and idiotic posters on the forum have been marked with a black cross on a yellow background with the word pirate clearly showing. If you simply skip reading there posts then you will find this a more supportive and useful place. (Not sure how Screampillar has avoided being branded yet)

• Bill I'm a busy person. I probably replied quickly in between meetings or intervals on my turbo. I don't always have plenty of time.

The op asked a question. I answered it correctlyand concisely.

I'm sorry you don't like it but maybe you're too delicate for the Internet.

It is fascinating that of the 10000s of different threads this is the one that concerns you b
  • Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Bill - the most annoying and idiotic posters on the forum have been marked with a black cross on a yellow background with the word pirate clearly showing. If you simply skip reading there posts then you will find this a more supportive and useful place. (Not sure how Screampillar has avoided being branded yet)

What about any of my replies to this thread (or, indeed Cougie's) do you consider "idiotic"?

What would you have suggested?

And, you have posted friendly enough replies to both Cougie and myself in the past so why are you having a go at us all of a sudden? 

• Thank you so much, Maxpower North West. That explains a lot.

I was beginning to think it was just me (I wasn't really). image

I will take your advice regarding skipping those posts. I hope the OP is following this and does the same.

• Oh dear. I enjoyed Max's bit of humour. Has it possibly bypassed Screama and Bill. Oh well, the thread may go down hill even further

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Anyway, how's your running going Bill? What have you got planned for the weekend?
  • Well Bill, if I'd never understood the concept of the phrase "on a different planet" I certainly do now.

No matter how they phrased it, most people offered the same (correct) advice. If that was somehow the wrong thing to do then perhaps this site should just be closed down as there's no longer any purpose to it.

• Well Screamapillar, every day's a school day.

Happy to be of service. image

Millsy1977, I'm hoping to do 10 miles outside but the forecast is not looking good so I may end up doing it on the treadmill, heck, I may even do a bit of cross trainer too. image Are you training for anything specific? What have you got planned?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bill- Zip up your man coat and get the hell on with the outdoor run you big wussimage

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm training for the South Downs Way 50 so have got my second "back to back" weekend. 15 hard on sat and 20 easy on a hilly off road course on Sunday. It will be my second week of kit testing so a bit of rain will be good as need to check everything is up to the required standard. I don't want any suprises on race day.
  • I'm sure the weather will play ball with you Millsy - rain is bound to make an appearance.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I usually hope it doesn`t rain but for the next few weekends I could do with some.

Need to work out quite how "waterproof" my coat is and for any chafing issues.

I dont think I could handle 9 hours of that.

In last years event (i didn`t do) it was snowing and people were pulling out with hypothermia.

The week after I did VLM in blazing sunshine.

So I need to be prepared for every eventuality it seems
  • Splitting the 18 to 22 mile long run total over a morning and evening runs still adds fatigue to marathon plan. I have found while running 18 to 22 mile long runs continuously, my pace ends up fading or dropping off as energy levels decrease and increases the chances of injury.

Would it better to run the same total miles of the plan but split up the long run by increasing a shorter run or run a shorter long run and then backing it up evening or next day make up the total?

• Lorna - presumably you drove to the gym. Next time could you drive to somewhere more suitable to run outside?

• http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/are-you-putting-too-much-emphasis-on-the-long-run-as-part-of-your-marathon-training/

"By shortening your long run to the 16 to 18-mile range and buttressing it against a shorter, but steady paced run the day before, you’re able to simulate the fatigue you’ll experience at the end of the race.

In addition, when you have shorter long runs, you’re able to increase the total quality and quantity of tempo and aerobic threshold workouts throughout your training week.

Running your long runs more intensely teaches your body how to run marathon pace while tired, and also increase your body’s ability to store energy for the end of the race and use fat as a fuel source more efficiently."

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I think that a lot of folks have missed the point here, Lorna asked if its ok to swap "this" run........

• I don't think anyone missed the point. If you have access to a treadmill there's no need to cross train instead.

If you are on a longer schedule and can factor in drop-back weeks and the like then you can get away with it but not on a programme this short.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

For me, one missed long run for whatever reason wont ruin campaign regardless of wether its missed through work/life/CNBA/floods or illness. If it was due to illness most folks would advise to miss the session and would add that it wont ruin the campaign. And it could be argued that illness over cnba/floods/ice etc would set you back further as you need to get healthy again to train. I've certainly missed some of the planned runs through my campaigns due to injuries etc I had to miss 10 days in a row (inc 2 long runs) last January, but there was plenty of cross training in there..........consistency and completing most of the plan is the most important, doing the odd session as cross training rather than running wont hurt.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I agree that one or two sessions can afford to be missed but by missing one by CNBA means one less you can miss through injury - illness.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Agree with Millsy. Its almost inevitable life will throw a spanner in the works at some point in the schedule. Therefore using a cnba means that cushion has been wasted. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

So we all agree.

Lorna - just dont miss too many !

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well, I think we just need Bill's stamp of approvalimage