Options

2014 Running Goals

Comments

• Options
    C P 31 wrote (see)
    C P 31 wrote (see)

Well at the beginning of the year it was to run a 10k race...did that in March so now the aim is a sub 50mins 10 and just to get round a half marathon. Getting really into this running lark...

Well.....did a 10k in 50:06! So close yet so far......probably going to leave trying it again until next year. HM done in just over 2 hours so new aim is under 2 hours in my next one in October.

So that was last year. Managed 47:23 round 10k a few weeks back so my new target it 45 mins. Not booked into any 10k races though.

Half I'm aiming to get under 1:50 as I did a 1:54 last sept.

Marathon....after saying I'd never do one....well the aim is to just plod round it!

• Options

5k goal acheived - 22:58. Now aiming for nearer 22:30 by the end of the year! image

• Options

In Paris I not only completed my first marathon but beat me dare-not-publish target of 4h. 3:59:12

5k - Sub 23
    10k - Sub 48
    HM - Sub 1h50 (Achieved! 1:48:35)  
    HM Revised - Sub 1h45
    M - Complete one/ Sub 4h (Achieved! 3:59:12)

Middle of a 10k training cycle but hope to achieve that one by 1st August, fingers crossed.

• Options

That is very good pace judgement for your marathon matty image

• Options
    acp wrote (see)

5k goal acheived - 22:58. Now aiming for nearer 22:30 by the end of the year! image

Good one acp. I think a 28 second improvement is about a 2-3% improvement, so keep up regular training and I think it's nailed on by the end of the year. Maybe stick in a race in a couple of months and track your progress.

mattywarr wrote (see)

In Paris I not only completed my first marathon but beat me dare-not-publish target of 4h. 3:59:12

5k - Sub 23
    10k - Sub 48
    HM Revised - Sub 1h45

Middle of a 10k training cycle but hope to achieve that one by 1st August, fingers crossed.

Great work Matty. My targets looks pretty similar to yours, i'm maybe a percent or two ahead of you at the moment, but looks like you're going great guns, so keep up the good work.

I'm hoping to do a 10k next Saturday (3rd May) round Battersea Park. I did that route last year and it's very low key, but well organised and pretty much pancake flat. That'll be almost 4 weeks after my marathon, so my legs should hopefully be ready to race by then. Should be a useful benchmark of where I am now, and give me something to improve on over the summer.

• Options

Congrats to all of you speedsters with your stunning new PBs image I am only a little bit envious.......honest.

I'm new to running so have much more modest achievements in mind. I had set a primary goal to better 60 mins for a 10k before year end and that one is already 'in the bag' - 59:52 @ Derby a few weeks ago. New 10k goal now before year end to 'run my age'. I'll turn 53 in July so I'm looking to get down to 53 mins before the calendar turns to 2015.

I've also entered my first HM - Potter's Arf in June - and have set 2:30:00 as my target for that one. I had thought that 2:20:00 might be a better goal but by all accounts the hilly nature of the course suggests that the extra 10 minutes will likely be needed.

• Options

Bit late to this thread, but would like to say congratulations to all of you for those new PB's.

Also re the increase in speed and going for shorter race Pb's after marathon, last week 2 weeks before my first marathon I ran a huge 5km Pb so the training clearly helps the shorter races as well image

My target times for the year are:

5km: sub 18 (currently 18:17)

10: sub 40 (currently 47 off-roader)

Half: sub 1:30 (currently 1:35:47)

Marathon: sub 3:30 (first marathon)

• Options
    AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

I managed a 1min PB on Saturday in a 10k round battersea park, bring my shiny new PB to 45:22.

Next race is on June 14th in about 7 weeks. The plan is to have a couple of weeks steady running to continue to build up mileage, then start a 10k training plan in a couple of weeks time. I'll train for 4 weeks until the 10k on June 14th, then another 4 week block for another 10k race on July 12th. Hopefully I can bring it down to mid/low 44s by then. Fingers crossed.

Might also try a parkrun or two in the meantime, and bag another PB. My 5k PB from last November is 22:54, but I ran the first half of Saturday's 10k in 22:33 so I should be able to improve.

• Options
    andyp wrote (see)

That is very good pace judgement for your marathon matty image

I deliberately set out at 10s per mile faster to try and leave myself a buffer for the fade at the last few miles, which happened. Of course its possible that if I stayed on target pace instead I may not have faded at all. Either way, my tactics worked this time and think I'll stick with them for future races until they fail!

Agent Ginger - Good work with Battersea! With those times you should be able to easily get a good 5k PB.

I've just signed up for a flat, fast local 5k next wednesday evening to gauge where I'm at for my first post-mara race and check my training paces and target a sensible 10k target paces for my A race.

I THINK I'm in sub 23 shape, at a push. Certainly in 23.XX. The plan is to find 7.20m/m and hang on for dear life. Not the end of the world if I don;t hit it, still a long way to go in 2014 yet!

• Options

I think you might surprise yourself, Matty, with how much fitness you'll have retained from all that marathon training. The sub 23 plan sounds good. Go out comfortably hard and hang on. I faded a little in Saturday's 10k. Each mile split (if you can believe the garmin) was about 2 or 3 seconds slower than the previous, except the last .215 miles which was the quickest, because of a late burst of energy for the sprint finish i guess.

I enjoy 5k and 10k races because although it can hurt, it feels much more like a proper "race" than a marathon does (well, to me anyway).

By that, i mean that in my (limited) experience I tend to find myself alongside one or two other runners at some point in a 5k or 10k and then try to hang on to them and outsprint them in the last 1k. Whether they know i'm racing them is another matter, but it makes it a bit more exciting, whereas a marathon, whilst I got a lot of satisfaction from completing my last one, was more like racing against myself.

As it happens on Saturday, I was side by side with another runner from about 4k to about 8k, when he gradually pulled away and ended up finishing about 10 seconds ahead of me, but that section when I was running beside him probably helped prevent me fading quicker than I otherwise would.

• Options

I agree about the race feeling - and definitely use someone ahead of me to carry me a bit, but its also because I'm running faster. Faster than I would ever in training and putting in more "Race effort" so it really feels like I'm going balls to the wall. Whereas over half/mara, its slower than your training paces.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    mattywarr wrote (see)

Whereas over half/mara, its slower than your training paces.

Er, no it isn't... unless you mean slower than your training paces for short reps and threshold runs?

• Options

Oooh, I guess... hmm. 

I'm not the speediest of people, so that's what I'm aiming for.  I've taken my dire 6 hour marathon up to 5:30, so my goal for the end of the year is 5 hours and then for next year Paris 4:30.

My 5k is about 30/1 mins, if I could get that down (because I'm not pushing it as much as I could, I know), then I'd be happy, so aim for a 25 for the end of the year. 

It'll all be so much easier as some of this poxy excess weight comes off!

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)
    mattywarr wrote (see)

Whereas over half/mara, its slower than your training paces.

Er, no it isn't... unless you mean slower than your training paces for short reps and threshold runs?

Yes, thats what I meant. 

• Options

I suppose at my pace, a marathon still feels like an endurance event, rather than a "race". In my recent marathon it was a battle to maintain a particular pace, not speed up too much in the first half, not burn out in the second half / last quarter. Whereas in a 5k race, it's an "effort" from the get go. Different type of experience for me, and I enjoy both, but a 5k and 10k feels like "running".

When I see the faster marathon runners they DO look like they're "racing" it. One day I'd like to be able to go that fast for that length of time.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Bit late to the thread but here goes.

Started running again, all on a treadmill, mid Jan.  5k/30 mins.

Aim for end of year is:

5k/18:45  (so far: 21:20)

10k/40:00  (49:00 but haven't really tried)

half marathon/1:30  (1:52 Hastings half)

If I can achieve these by Christmas that will be a good base to start a 16 week plan for a 3:15-3:30 Brighton Marathon.  My 3 previous maras have been around the 4:45 mark so, yes, I am aiming high.

• Options

We had an oversubscription of volunteers this morning which meant I got to run our parkrun today. I set a 90s PB and went sub 24 (23.58) !

Given the terrain (rough grassy parkland) and elevation profile I was delighted with that time, and it has to be worth at last a minute on a flat road course which is what I'm doing wednesday! So fingers crossed I'll be revising my targets this week image

• Options

Good new pb AG image

Thats a huge pb mattywarr and on a faster course looks a lot more to come image

Hit my marathon target last week with a 3:24:43 image Hoping to get another one in before the end of the year. Over the next few months want to get 5km-half times quicker.

• Options

Didn't make my 10k target today - 1 minute off!image Not massively disappointed though as still a PB on a slightly trickier course than expected. Still targeting 48 minutes before the end of the year.

• Options

5k current PB (18:29), aim for sub 18 mins. I run 5k Park Run once or twice a month.

HM current PB (1:28:01), aim for sub 85 minutes. I am running a  HM this year.

Marathon PB (3:09:35), aim for sub 3 hours and 5 mins. I am running two marathons this year.

• Options

Sure on a better course and more training you'll be ready to smash that pb acp.

RoadWarrior:  soem hefty targets you have set yourself, best of luck with improving those pp's image

• Options

Well AgentGinger you are right. Did a flat 5k course last night and the only way to describe how it went it would be "smashed it"! Finished in 21:59! I wasn't sure it was on until a rounded the last corner and saw the race clock and had about 20 seconds to go sub 22. I don't know where I found it from but I mustered a sprint finish to just duck under the 22 mark. I've never felt a runners high like it! (At least after I had a little recovery lie down!!)

Mile Splits: 6.50, 7.05, 7.23 (Forgot to stop my watch over the line)

The last mile was a real struggle. But it shows I have the pace, just not the endurance to sustain it. 

5k - Sub 23 (Achieved! 21:59)
    5k Revised - Sub 21
    10k - Sub 48
    HM Revised - Sub 1h45

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Another latecomer to the thread - is it really May already?  I'm sure it was Christmas about 3 weeks ago......

mattywar - wow! That's a big chunk off your PB.  Well done.

Anyway.......

I restarted running at the beginning of last year after 5 years out having two kids and the associated lack of time for anything that that brings.  I used to run half and full marathons (slowly), with PBs of 2:17 and 5:17 respectively.  Preferred the longer distances as 5 and 10k felt too fast and I was usually very last.  At least in (bigger) halfs and marathons there were usually a few people behind me!

Due to time constraints, I can't see me being able to commit to marathon training for a couple of years, so I decided to change tack and just (wo)man-up and do some 5 and 10ks.

2013 saw a 5k of 35 mins in March (estimated - the course was short, and I crossed the line in 33 mins, but that was for 4.5k-ish) off an average of 2 x 3 mile runs a week. 

Didn't run much for a couple of months, then got back to 3 runs a week, before going on holiday and then not running at all for another couple of months. 

Managed a 75 min 10k at the end of September off a total of 7 miles of running in the previous 15 weeks (!), then decided to enter another one 4 weeks later, and ran 4 times a week between them, taking 5 mins off - 70 mins.

That spurred me on to enterting a half in March this year, and increasing the training towards that.  Not enough, but I got round in 2:41 and didn't die.

I signed up to the 5x50 challenge which started on 30th March, and have been running 5k a day since (catching up by doing 10k if I miss one).  10k on 27th April had improved to 68 mins, and then last Sunday, a 4 min improvement to take me down to 64 mins.

I'm still a way off my all time PB of 61:15, but I'm now working on Post Baby PBs image.

So, my 2014 targets are:

5k - 30 mins (PBPB 35 mins, all time PB 30 mins)

10k - 60 mins (PBPB 64 mins, all time PB 61 mins)

Half - 2:30 (PBPB 2:41, all time 2:17)

• Options

Thats a huge new pb mattywarr well done image 

Nessie: looks like with some consistent and solid training under your belt you are starting to see big improvements in time and looks like there is only more to come image

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Thanks Scott.  It feels good. image

• Options

Wow, Matty, get in son! Huge PB. I bet that felt great image

Nessie, good luck with your PBPBs, love the acronym image

• Options

2014 target to be entered in to this years Leicester City 5K Winter Series

I don't usually run 5K distances usually 5 miles - 10k

However just completed my first 5k race and got a time of 21:33 not the quickest by all accounts but I am 42 years old, only been running a year and used to smoke 30 a day, so My aim is to win the 40V Cat in Leicester winter 5k seriesimage

• Options

Thanks all! Sub 48 PB attempt for me in Bupa London 10k on Sunday. Probably in better form than that but its not my A race for this cycle so want to keep it consistent pace wise and cadence wise and see how I feel at the other end.

Joined a club so will be wearing their vest which I'm sure is worth a few seconds per mile! image

Mike nixon - Best of luck - fastest time in our local 5k series by a V40 male was 16:28. Good job I have 8+ years til I reach 40 it'll take me that long to improve that much!

• Options

lol don't think i'll be hitting 16 mins - but sub 20 will be nice -