2014 Running Goals

13»

Comments

• Mike- best of luck with the 5km series and going sub 20 image

matty- good luck on Sunday hope the weather is alright image

• Thanks Scott, Conditions were good and I smashed my target! 46:14 was my time. Delighted!

5k - Sub 23 (Achieved! 21:59)
    5k Revised - Sub 21
    10k - Sub 48 (Achieved! 46:14)
    10k Revised - Sub 45
    HM - Sub 1h50 (Achieved! 1:48:35)  
    HM Revised - Sub 1h45
    M - Complete one/ Sub 4h (Achieved! 3:59:12)

• Smashed the sub 48 mattywarr, well done image Looks like sub 45 could be well on the cards 

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

you're burning through those PBs, Matty, nice one.

• Got me a tidy little sub-45 10k on Sunday - 43.36! Very pleased! New target is a plain and simple sub 43 this time. No real plans for another 10k this year but may change my mind yet!
  • Mine was to find a reason to enjoy running, tried speed, weight loss, fitness, distance, competing for places, none worked. Then moved to talk running, found I loved the scenery and difficulty, despite not being quick at them and cursing every step while running them. This has led me to signing up for my first Marathon (trail) and seeing sights on an ultra next year (photos from others running these inspires me).

Now also keeping a blog to keep me motivated and focused http://goo.gl/5i0IUo

• blimey, Matty, you've pushed on massively this year, well done on all your hard work, and good luck with the sub43. I imagine it won't be long away given your current form.

Mark, don't worry about not being quick, that'll come in time, keep at it consistently and enjoy your running and the rest will follow.

• @AgentGinger, i'm a realist, on the other side of 40 now so trying to compete on speed is always going to be difficult, competing on endurance is a better option hence me moving from 5k10kHMFM and next year ultra.  The gap between winner and myself gets smaller every time the distance gets longer.

The most recent race i did, 10 mile trail, i was heading towards the finish and the guy behind me was killing himself to catch and overtake me, gaining a place seemed to mean so much to this guy i just slowed down and invited him to pass, it really didn't matter to me what place or time i finished in, i just enjoyed running around a new location that i wouldn't have found had it not been for running

• In 2014 : I have improved my 5k time from 19 mins to 17 mins 56 secs. I improved my 10k time from 40 mins down to 38 mins 40 secs. Improved my Hm time from 90 mins to 85 mins. I hope I improve my 3h 9 min Marathon time even if it is by 1 or 2 mins.

Sub 83 min HM, sub 38 mins for 10k and 17 mins 30 secs for Park Run/5k are looking like realistic goals for 2015. Marathon sub 3 hours and 5 mins.

• Amazing stats BarefootTed, especially for such a broad range of distances - what's your secret training plan ?
  • I'm pretty new to running, only been at it since end of June.. 

Got the St Helens 10k booked for March 2015, where I'd like sub 45 minutes.

In training still, managing 5k comfortably in about 23 minutes, but not sure I'd be able to double the distance at the same timescale.

Goal for 5k in under 20 minutes by the end of the year, and 10k in under 45 minutes... 

Just hope I can keep the training up.

• BarefootTed wrote (see)

Sub 83 min HM, sub 38 mins for 10k and 17 mins 30 secs for Park Run/5k are looking like realistic goals for 2015. Marathon sub 3 hours and 5 mins.

In September during my Marathon I ran 82 mins and 30 secs for first half and I finished in 3 hours and 4 minutes and 9 secs. I lost stacks of time over the final 6 or 7 miles.

Looks like I have a shot at sub 80 mins for HM and a sub 3 hour marathon in 2015. I will be running 2 marathons in 2015 + a 20 mile race and 2 HM races. I do Park run monthly but I never run 10k races. 10k times are splits of HM races and  times during training.

• @AgentGinger - Cheers, yeah I've really been putting in the miles. The 2015 thread may not see quite so many leaps and bounds from me!

I also got another PB in the Bristol Half last weekend. From 1h48 to 1h35m57s. Thew week before that I got my 5k down to 20.46

DEFINITELY no more halves for me this year but I am going to have a tilt at the 5k and 10k again this year. Weston Christmas Cracker in December I'm going to try for sub 42, and as part of/around that time I'm going to balst around a parkrun in the *Hope* of going sub 20.

• Matty, your improvement has been awesome this year, all down to hard work and consistency by the sounds of it. You should be really pleased with yourself. Doesn't matter if next year the improvements are more gradual, you've given yourself a great base to work from. I hope to emulate some of your consistency this winter. Trying for a 5k PB this weekend. I'm not in super fast shape, i've been running fairly consistently in the last 2 months, after a 2 month break over the summer, so starting to regain some stamina, and enjoying my running at the moment.

I'll be aiming for any improvement on my 22:54 PB this saturday at the parkrun. Plan is to go out fairly hard and hang on, and try to leave a little in the tank for a strong finish.

• Urgh, really struggling to bash out a decent 5k at parkrun.

In the last 6 weeks I've done 3 parkruns, in 23:19, 23:33 and 23:05.
    Last Nov when I ran my PB of 22:54 I swear I was less fit. Although probably more rested. Perhaps my recent increase in weekly mileage is leaving my legs a bit knackered for running.

I've begun a weekly "speed" session (started last Tuesday) to hopefully add a bit of pace to all the slow plodding miles I've been doing. We'll see how that works out. I reckon I'll try another 2, maybe 3 efforts at a 5k before the end of the year, so we'll see what difference these weekly sessions make.

• Finally managed a parkrun PB at the weekend, 21:53, knocking just over a minute off my time from a year ago. Decided that my pacing was wrong, so instead of going out steadily and trying to run fast but "in control", I raced off hard, and tried to hang on. Flagged in the second half, but still enough to get my first sub 22, which I was delighted with.

I'll be starting the long road to Manchester marathon next week, following an 18week Pfitzsinger and Douglas plan, so I guess won't be running particularly fast for a while, but hopefully I can have a crack at a 10k and a HM in the lead up, and bag a couple of new PBs too image

• hello there. my name is agent ginger, and it's been six years since my last post.

It's fair to say my running peaked in 2014 with those marathon, 5k and 10k PBs, and I've not been anywhere near close to that since. Six years later I now have two young kids, who are great but full on, and we're just coming out of the really intense sleep deprivation and socially isolated phase, and I've found some time back this year to return to running. At the tender age of 42 it feels tougher than it did.

I haven't been completely sedentary since 2014, but I think I lost my motivation after reaching a few of my goals that year, and obviously focus then shifted to family.

I've no idea who from 2014 is still a user on this forum, but I hope you are all enjoying your running.

I'm going to dip in and out of this forum for tips and motivation, so thought i'd say a quick hello again.

I've started running regularly again this year, and i'm averaging about 3-5 times a week depending on the week, currently low-ish mileage (avg around 100 miles a month, with longest run in recent times being around 9 miles).

My short term goals are to build some consistency, and some endurance, which is sadly lacking, then think about creeping back towards those PBs again. I don't think i'm over the hill at 42, but in 2014 I was marathon training and doing a lot of mileage (by my standards) which just isn't all that feasible with my current lifestyle, so i'm focusing on shorter distances, and to give myself a reason to go out i'm looking to test myself in a 5k to see what the benchmark is, and see what i'm working with. Unfortunately, things being as they are in 2020, parkrun is off for the moment so it'll have to be a time trial around the local park. Hoping to test myself in a couple of weeks, then plan some more focused training once I have an idea what i'm capable of at the moment. Until then, just continuing to get out regularly.

keep running and hope you're all safe and well.