Options

Severn Bridge Half Marathon (rogueruns)

Comments

• Options

Good ideas Straycelt!

• Options

Quick question is there a cut off time would the run be suitable for slow beginner runners like me

• Options

Negotiations with authorities etc is heading towards a 3:15 hrs cut off time.

• Options

Just signed up. Could be an interesting half. Did the New York marathon back in 2010 and that starts on a 2 mile long bridge which was really different. Nice to do this in both directions. Could be a bit breezy!

• Options

I'm in  image going to get my dad to do it as well

• Options

cycled over the ridge a number of times....and yes on the wrong day it can be very very breezy........lovely views though on the right day

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Best views on the way back into Wales!!

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

it can be very very breezy

It's OK... we've ordered a clear bright sunny day with no wind. image
    Now up to over 1100 entries.

• Options

Hi Paul101, Is there a limit on numbers?

• Options

The limit is still under negotiation but will be at least 2000... so still 700 entries left.image

• Options

Wow. 1300 so far. That's pretty impressive for a new event. Hooe it all goes well and becomes a regular feature.

• Options

I walked over ... and back... on Monday with the event photographer sussing good places for individual shots of the runners with the bidge looming large in the background. The weather was superb and the sea air exhilarating. It's a truly lovely place to be on a sunny day... and a pretty interesting place to be when it's not image

• Options

Hi, Just come across this race and signed up tonight.

Cant say Ive done much running at all really of late so this may be interesting. Ill be aiming for 2 hours well 1.59.59 as this would be a personal best. My fastet previous half was 2hr and 36 seconds. I just didnt have enough in me for the last hill over the railway line in Llanelli.

Going to start training tomorrow for the race. Slow and steady training to start and a couple of new running purchases

Good luck to everyone training

Hannah

• Options
    Please can i ask if we will be allowed headphones for race
  • Options

Is this likely to become a regular event? I can't make it this year but I'd love to do it in 2015...

• Options
    triggerfish wrote (see)

Hi, Just come across this race and signed up tonight.

Cant say Ive done much running at all really of late so this may be interesting. Ill be aiming for 2 hours well 1.59.59 as this would be a personal best. My fastet previous half was 2hr and 36 seconds. I just didnt have enough in me for the last hill over the railway line in Llanelli.

Going to start training tomorrow for the race. Slow and steady training to start and a couple of new running purchases

Good luck to everyone training

Hannah

If you thought there was a hill in Llanelli half,.......then you are going to think that this race has a mountain......image

• Options
    Ok well hill might be exageration. What i meant was the climb over the railway line slowed me down after nearly 13 miles. Had the railway line not have been there i may have got a time of 1.59.59.

If you remember back to 2011 i think you run the marathon in the april when k did it and the weather was a real scorcher.

Maybe these are just excuses ss the reality might be ill never be able to do under 2hrs. Im going to give it a damn good go and train on plenty of actual hills to prepare

Are you doing race

Good luck if you are
  • Options

triggerfish - with regards headphones. Our affiliated body takes no stance on these. I have personally witnessed a couple of incidents where users got themselves into some trouble during a race. Once where someone didn't hear a marshal shouting after them they'd gone the wrong way - I never saw them again - I wonder when they realised they were lost? The other more serious incident was when a runner in front of me was oblivious to an irate motorist trying to turn right into their driveway and amost getting run over - there are some crazies out there!

I understand why you'd want to wear them thoiugh - music can be a great motivator in a long difficult race.

I'd like to be able to say that it's the responsibility of each runner to decide but unfortunately that's not the way it works.

We'll get our heads together and make an announcement soon.

• Options

Shame it starts at 9 a.m. That means a very early start for anyone who doesn't live on the doorstep already.image

• Options

Tiz a tad early I agree but was a choice of putting on at his time or not at all... so no choice really. Look on the bright side - get an amazing run done and treat yourself to a nice meal out at lunchtime image

• Options
    Hi. Headphones dont really bother me either way. When i use them i have music low just as background. Headphones are also good when running in wind.

Is there a breakdown of map route so i can look it up on google maps. How hilly is the race

As the organiser paul are you running race as well?

Cheers
  • Options

I agree with you Paul. I'm comming from Swindon so it will be an early start for me, but it's nice to get it done. That means I'll be In my bath with a beer an hour earlier!

• Options

triggerfish - there's a map of the route on the website with a profile image too. The undulating bit is from Elberton till just over half way but after you've got to the top of the hill it's all down hill to the finish (almost).

• Options
    Really looking forward to running this...such a great feeling to run between sea and sky!
  • Options
    triggerfish wrote (see)
    Ok well hill might be exageration. What i meant was the climb over the railway line slowed me down after nearly 13 miles. Had the railway line not have been there i may have got a time of 1.59.59.
    If you remember back to 2011 i think you run the marathon in the april when k did it and the weather was a real scorcher.
    Maybe these are just excuses ss the reality might be ill never be able to do under 2hrs. Im going to give it a damn good go and train on plenty of actual hills to prepare
    Are you doing race
    Good luck if you are

Triggerfish ..I remember the 2011 marathon....how could april have the hottest day of the year.....you can get under the 2 hrs...just need to keep the running consistent.....

this could be an amazing race...glad its getting a good entry image

• Options
    Your right with the consistent running.

I remember the half marathon weather and the full marathon weather. For me personally i struggled with heat as all my training hsd generally been through winter months. Id be more prepared now but boy it was hot running along the front

Thanks for nudge in right direction to find map. Ill have a look
  • Options

Any update on numbers Paul101?

• Options

Well, I just entered. Only my second half so treat me gently image

I like a bit of fell running so am looking forward to overtaking a few flatlanders on the little hill at the 7 mile mark. That's where an old boy like me enjoys watching some of the young whippets dying on their feet (evil grin!).   

No problem with the early start (well done organisers. Makes sense, especially if its a hot day - somebody died on the Humber Bridge half last year and they moved the time this year - very wise...).

If you don't like the time of the start I suggest you do what I do and book a cheap hotel overnight (I'm travelling from Yorkshire). 

Looking forward to a fun run. Good on you Paul for organising this.