The Sevens Wonder of The World List

I Googled The Seven Wonders of The World.

The Original Seven Wonders of the World

The Colossus of Rhodes

The Great Pyramid of Giza

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

The Lighthouse of Alexandria

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus

The Statue of Zeus at Olympia

The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

The Seven Wonders of the Modern World

Channel Tunnel

CN Tower

Empire State Building

Golden Gate Bridge

Itaipu Dam

Netherlands North Sea Protection Works

Panama Canal

Natural Wonders of the World

In 1997, CNN announced a listing of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World...

Grand Canyon

The Great Barrier Reef

The Harbor at Rio de Janeiro

Mt. Everest

Northern Lights

Paricutin Volcano

Victoria Falls

The "New" Seven Wonders of the World

On July 7, 2007 (7-7-07) an organization announced a "new" set of the Seven Wonders of the World based on online voting from around the world...

Chichen Itza, Mexico - Mayan City Christ

Redeemer, Brazil - Large Statue

The Great Wall, China

Machu Picchu, Peru

Petra, Jordan - Ancient City

The Roman Colosseum, Italy

The Taj Mahal, India

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• You might just have put "Where's Grenada"....

I doubt very people know, and even less care

• What the hell are you on about now?

I google things of interest quite frequently.  However, I don't feel the need to publicise my findings each and every sodding time I do it.

Haven't you got an immunisation program you need to petition the WHO about or something?

•  
    12 Years A Slave wrote (see)

Is this list correct or up to date?image

Yes it is. 

If you are taking about the natural wonders of the world we are talking "spectacular" rather than merely "pretty" and those on the list fit the bill.

And doubtless there are other beautiful places in the world besides Grenada which I doubt you've been to so can't possibly judge.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

I am surprised Bromley hasn't made the list.

• I hadn't forgotten - it's marked in my calendar.

• Have you ever seen the film The Dambusters, 12? Guy Gibson had a dog he called 'N*****'. There's been some debate about whether to take that out of the film or be true to history. I must admit I don't know the answer to that one.

• Yeah, go on Pudge. And can you start another thread to let us know you've done it

• I don't get out of bed for less than a marathon, Karen.

• So you run half marathons in bed?

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

Have you ever seen the film The Dambusters, 12? Guy Gibson had a dog he called 'N*****'. There's been some debate about whether to take that out of the film or be true to history. I must admit I don't know the answer to that one.

Interesting you should say that. Both cut and uncut versions continue to be shown.

They are supposedly doing a remake (although it seems to be a long time coming) and the dog's name has been the subject of much discussion. Apparently Guy Gibson was the source of the ideal solution. He sometimes called the dog "Nigsy" so that's what they've decided to use - historically accurate without being insulting.

• Of course, if you're worried about the 'N' word, I wouldn't watch 12 Years a Slave if I were you!

• 12 Years A Slave wrote (see)

Folks sorry about the silly spelling mistakes but I trying to avoid wearing my specsimage

Pudge,

I do apologies to you, your  RH.

Vanity , thy name is Karen image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I know where Grenada is.  I know someone who lives there (for part of the year) and almost went on holiday there a few years ago.  (Got pregnant so couldn't fly at the time we planned to go).

It does look very pretty.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

He sometimes called the dog "Nigsy" so that's what they've decided to use - historically accurate without being insulting.

I'll try it out on my black colleagues.

• skotty wrote (see)

He sometimes called the dog "Nigsy" so that's what they've decided to use - historically accurate without being insulting.

Ha! Let us know how you get on with that.  I'm sure they'll find it to be a cutesy little nickname!

• Pudge wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)

Ha! Let us know how you get on with that.  I'm sure they'll find it to be a cutesy little nickname!

I'm sure they'll wonder why you aren't just calling them "Brian" or "Trevor" ( or whatever  their names are ) like you usually would.

• Here we are with one of those classic Clubhouse threads, started with good intentions about getting people to have some thoughts of their own, and to contribute positively. It's not trolling, although we did dip into a brief advert for soome poxy club run. However, it has suffered from what I believe to be a brilliant example of WHY SPELLING MATTERS. The capitals are intended.

Grenada is a Spice Island. No doubt a beautiful place. Almost certainly just as beautiful as every other small island in the Caribbean. Heavily damaged by hurricanes from time to time, and invaded by the US Military in the 1980s.  Tourist destination, but one of the 7 most fantastic places? Improbable.

Granada is a city and region in Andalusia, Southern Spain. It contains The Alhambra, constructed during the Moorish occupation. Listed under the World Heritage Sites list of the UNESCO is indisputably the most well-known monument of the city and one of the most visited in Spain. One of the 7 wonders? I'd say that beuty is in the eye of the beholder. The UNESCO badge gives some merit.

Granada was also a TV company, and some people may have made allusions to it in their comments. All good fun.

Clearly UNESCO have done the homework, and decided not to limit the list to 7. They currently have 981 individual items listed, including 193 natural sites.

Personally, I am going to ignore natural wonders, because it was a greater power than mankind that created them, and we are limited by our ability to see what's in front of us. When did you last gaze upon the Orion Nebula, the rings of Saturn, a volcanic eruption such as Tungurahua (Ecuador), a virtually blind angler fish that lives a mile deep in the oceans or the splitting of the cell that signifies that a new baby will be born in 40 weeks' time?

I'm also ignoring the side track into the language of the 1955 film. Leave it be. The most memorable element was the comical special effects where they blatantly spliced some foaming water film into the a frames to illustrate the explosion and breaching of the dams. It's cringe-worthy, but part of the whole.

Personally, I shall merely contribute by proposing and contradicting my personal thoughts about man-made "wonders". Some are old, and new ones have really got to stand up and be counted against the impressiveness of the ancient. A large city is just an aggregation of buildings generated over time, and simply don't cut the mustard. There is no particular order to my list, and there aren't 7 items.

1- Neil Armstrong's flag, the moon.
    2- Sydney Opera House
    3- Great Wall of China
    4- Panama Canal
    5- Great pyramids, Giza
    6- Hoover dam? (* I reserve the right to change this to any other dam, anywhere else that's bigger, such as Jinping-1)
    To me, for a structure to be a wonder, there must be a hidden story that is visibly waiting to be told. One of adversity overcome, and massive struggle to achieve the end result. I can see why the Channel Tunnel has an allure. Its history dates back to Napoleon. But a wonder? Doubtful, which is why I'm also doubtful about the dams.

• What's more you didn't even cut and paste any of that did you Blisters? image

• For most of those, the 'massive struggle to achieve the end result' involved using thousands of slaves as labour and/or the deaths of quite a few of those involved in the construction.  Apart from the Opera House, although it's debatable whether they overcame the adversity as they couldn't build the original design and it made the new Wembley Stadium look like a well-managed project. 

I'm pretty sure the Apollo programme disn't use slave labour though, so I'll give you that one image

• The term "slave" might need a closer definition Dave, much as we struggle to define "employee". I don't actually think that it's relevant whether the massive struggle was voluntary, or persuaded with force.

-Sydney Opera House just happens to be a personal favourite, I agree with your comments. Not being able to build the design does rather seem like a challenge to me.

-Gemini-Apollo programme isn't as clean as you might like to think. There was a very heavy reliance on Nazi German scientists who were quietly given a passport for the USA.

Oh, and I do apologise for my spelling mistake. I hope that it didn't change the meaning.

• The seven wonders of (North) Wales are truly wonderful.  No slaves involved.  Mostly extant. Go Google, and enjoy.