Floods

13»

Comments

• We're all doomed. Everyone is ignoring climate change and despite all the science backing it up we choose to look the other way. (This ought to reinvigorate the thread). 

Seriously, there is a lot of scientific evidence suggesting that climate change, due to our piss poor management of everything we do on this planet, is real and not going to go away. More extreme weather, not necessarily everyone just getting warmer is here and here to stay. 

Yet, despite us believing science when it comes to absolutely anything else we choose to ignore it when it comes to weather. 

This bloke makes a lot of sense...http://www.jameslovelock.org/page0.html 

• I've always taken the line that even if you don't believe that climate change is happening, surely you can see that the world doesn't have infinite resources and that if we go on as we are we'll all be fighting each other for fuel, food, water and land in a world that looks like a giant rubbish dump.

Recycle (at every level), invest in renewables, stop having so many children. That has to be the way forward or we are, as you say, doomed.

• Im with ya Also Ran ..... but go to the Telegraph pages and have a look at the comments section on any story that remotely involves climate change and they all have their tin foil hats on.

• The biggest thing you can do to help would be to stop keeping pets, then move to domestic animals

•  
    The real Mr I wrote (see)

Im with ya Also Ran ..... but go to the Telegraph pages and have a look at the comments section on any story that remotely involves climate change and they all have their tin foil hats on.

The prodigal returns!

• Invest in forests/woods & trees. This is the main contributor to it all. 

removing such an amount of rainforest has shifted weather patterns.

OR 

invest in more bees image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm afraid I'll be taking the cowards route.

I'm emigrating to New Zealand. The mass of ocean surrounding the place tends to even out the extremes of climate. 

🙂

• The news announced yesterday that it may take take two months to sort out the insurance claims for the floods. As if it was some sort of revelation. How long did they expect it to take. A week? Some places are still under water. They have thousands of claims to sort out. And that's how they work. If I had bumped my car I would expect it to take two months to sort out. 

Another gem this morning was that after announcing facebook buying whatsapp for 11.4 billion dollars from the 2 founder members, they stated that BBC business analysers have said that it will make them billionaires.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Yup, the BBC do seem to be getting good at stating the bleeding obvious.

Like the reporter standing on the seafront stating (with a straight face) that the waves were still coming in................

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One of the best solutions is "upstream thinking".  Undo the damaging land drainage at the top of catchments, thus reinstating bogs & mires.  These act as sponges when it rains a lot, and they slowly drain for months afterwards keeping river levels up in spring/summer.

It has been done on the Exe - no flooding here!

Dredging is a popular answer because it is easier to understand.  In many places a waste of time - just moves the problem downstream to the next bottleneck - eg on the Somerset Levels that would be Taunton, where the residents may not be too grateful...

• BotF - Thanks, good link!