Options

Physio webchat with Sarah Connors

Comments

• Options

Hi Ruth sound like you probably have weakness and instability in both sides did you do the exercises on both sides or just the left side. Maybe go back and get reassessed looking at both sides and get an appropriate programme to help you as you sound like youre doing all the right things.

• Options

Hi katy creaking in the tendon maens there is some swelling and inflammation so you don’t want to let this get worse. Try easing back for a few days to allow the stretching to catch up and take the pressure of the knees foam roller the quads and do some basic knee strengthening exercises like mini squats and 1 leg dips sounds like you may be fatiguing towards the end of the run putting more pressure on the knees. A few days now may really help and prevent it getting worse.

• Options

Hi Adrian you need to get this checked out to make sure you’ve not got a sportmens hernia where you have weakness in the abdominal wall where it insert into the inguinal ligament. Get your GP or a physio used to looking at hernias to check this out for you.

You can try working on your core too start with low level abdominal exercises and gluts. The bridge is good. You can start the lower abd work by lying on your back and lifting one knee at a time from a flexed position into a table top position. Start with one leg on the ground and see if you progress to extending one leg. If there is a weakness there you need to get it strong again. make sure your hip flexors are not too tight. Try the Thomas test. All this should be pain free. pain means you are pulling on the area potentailly causing more damage. Back of the running while you are doing this. You may find you can do some staedy running but not quicker stuff. Hope that helps.

• Options

Hi Cathy sounds like the muscles are pulling on your shin bone, the generic term for this is shin splints. The key is wether the bone is sore or just the soft tissue. You can look at this yourself and press the shin bone if acutely tender back off for a few days to allow to settle before the marathon if the bone is ok and it’s fine to hop you need to stretch out the tibilais posterior muscle and the toe flexors by putting toes curled up on a step and bending the knee you should feel this deep into the calf. You can also ice the medial shin and release the tight muscles with your thumbs and self massage. You can do this for both but more important to back off if the bone is sore.

• Options

Hi Sue sounds like you need to do some strengthening work to your back and gluts as the hamstring and groin areas are getting overloaded probably when your fatigued and loose your normal good running style. Try some of the core exercises on the website and use the foamroller to help ease the tight muscles. If not settling you may need someone to look at your back and see if this is tight and causing the pain.

• Options

Thanks Sarah, appreciate it.

• Options

Hi Megra

I would hope not. You’ve probably just got weakness in all the muscles around the knee. I did my ACL too and I’m continually having to revisit all my knee exercises to allow it to be strong enough to cope wit running. Also keep your quad loose foam roller and stretch and make sure your glut is firing properly.

• Options

Hi Megra, you also need to check your trainers are not old and make sure they are still giving you enough support and stopping your foot and knee turning in. This can also be a cause of knee pain

• Options

Hi Jenf,

if you follow all the ones on the website they cover all the major muscle groups you need to target. good luck I've managed to get my Friday group upto 7 miles now and they are doing a half marathon. It's incredibly rewarding and great fun.

• Options

Hi Nikki, you need to get the ok from your consultant before you run. It may be stiff and tight initially and obviously weaker so start gently and build up. You should be given a strengthening rehab programme and ask to be referred to physio once your out of the sling. You may also find you thoracic spine is stiff and your running is not balanced. take the time to restore these rotational movements doing some spinal twist exercises.

• Options

Hi matty,

yes you’ve probably bruised the back of the kneecap which is settling down but doesn’t like sitting in one position. Try and keep it moving and make sure you stretch your quads out properly especially after each run. Also ice after each run to prevent any further inflammation building up.

• Options

Hi Sarah,

I have had hip and peroneal pain for years, In this photograph:

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/cloudnine2014_198.htm#

Top right, yellow vest.

It looks like my left leg is crossing over, my guess is that pelvis instability is causing this. The way the foot in landing and pushing off could be causing by peroneal longus pain, my hip pain could be my TFL trying to push back and/or compensating for glutes not working well.

What do you think? Sound possible?

If so, my plan of attack is:

Strengthen, activate glutes to reduce pelvis drop.

Trigger point work on TFL to reduce pain.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mick

• Options

Matty Cramps can be caused by dehydraton and loss of electrolytes make sure you are fully hydrated before going to bed.

• Options

Hi Gladrags,

its nice to stretch after you’ve run or even on a rest day. I don’t give specific timings to the rollering depends on what you find. If you find a trigger point hold it till it starts to ease then move to another spot, once you’ve rollered then you can stretch out the muscles. I would look at doing this at least twice  a week. Especially after your long run.

• Options

. Hi Bananarama,

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Have you done the exercises on both legs. I had an issue with my glut and was only when I was assessed properly that it was the good side causing the problem. It's very easy to focus on the sore side but sometimes its overworking because the painfree side is weak.
  • Options

Hi Run to the trees,

if you've had no joy with weekly sports massage then you have to start thinking they are not getting to the cause of the problem. Most of the hip groin glut issues I see are there because the lower back is tight and locked up. The hip flexors originate from the lumbar spine and if the spinal joints aren't moving properly then the muscle will be pulled tight. I would invest in a physio session with someone who is used to seeing runners and ask them to mobilise your lower back femoral nerve and then stretch out the muscles. you should find this helps. To strengthen the hamstring start with some kicks lying on your front then in standing and look at some hamstring hacks bit like bridging but with like on a stool one leg in air and push up on the heel. sound like a tight lower back may be inhibiting these tough.

• Options
       Hi Callum,   you don't mention if you do any prehab work like stretching and foam rollering? This is a good start if you don't. Sometimes the legs are so tired they need a rest and a good sports massage. Also try balancing your week with slightly different runs some shorter some longer and vary the pace too.
  • Options

Hi Sarah, sounds like you're having a bad time. it's a bit too hard an issue to solve without seeing you!! I think you need to get yourself assessed to see what is causing all these issues and get some of the pain settled down before you go bcak into running again or you will just continue to break down.make sure you see someone used to dealing with runners.

• Options

Hi Goldie, that's along time to have an injury. You don't say how you did it or if you've had any treatment to help settle it and look at the cause. You normally find there is a weakness and tightness elsewhere causing the hamstring to work harder. What is your core like? have you tried doing any of the exercises on the website?

• Options

I have Plantar Aschiitis (spelling?) and havent run for a fortnight under docs orders and have been taking anti inflammatories, stretching and exercising my left foot but it doesnt appear to have had any impact whatsoever.

Is there something extra i can do or is it a long term slow recovery (can i still run?) or is it a case of simply living with it and taking the anti inflammatories after / befor a run?

Hi Jon, your doctor is right to stop you running as plantar fasciitis is very stubborn once it gets hold. It's worth getting a physio to have a look as well to release the tight muscles and joints around the foot ankle and calf and make sure there is no dural tension coming from your back. Also take your running shoes with you to check the cause isn't biomechanical.
  • Options

Hi Sarah,

Firstly, thanks for your time.

VLM - 5 weeks to go - first marathon ever (usually do 1/2's) and my training has been very good since Christmas and injury free. However, last Friday evening, my usual 5mile pace run (usually 8m10/15s) turned nasty! 
    After 4 miles, my right knee gave way, pain on the rear, left hand side (as I look down) and I've got a bit of a limp.

I have had a week off, did RICE on Fri eve & most of Sat/Sun and subsequently missed the Silverstone 1/2 on Sunday image 
    In all honesty, confidence has taken a bit of a blow and I'm worried for VLM, as I'm not sure I'll get the distance in (don't think 15 miles is manageable on Sunday morning).

Any advice greatly received - thanks very much.

Hi Dave, it's always difficult when something like this happens. Is there pain when you stretch the knee? Is there pain to squat and take your body side to side? Does the knee ache and is it swollen? Has it given way again? may be worth going to your GP initially to check there isn't a meniscal problem pinching inside the knee. Let me know your answers to the above if you get chance. sarah
  • Options
       Hi Gen it all depends on how much bone pain there was and if there was a stress reaction starting in the tibia. If so then it needs the full rest and a more gentle start back into running. Is there any pain in the bone now to press it? You will have maintained your CV fitness but need to allow the leg to get back into it gently. If it was a stress reaction then i normally advise a 6 week buld up back into full training. Start at 10 mins then increase by 2/day till 20. Stay at 20 for a week then same to 30 where you can start adding some temp and interval work. It's amazing how fit you can get doing this and you'll soon be back to those 10ks. You need to ask your physio where the damage was and they can give you a more specific plan.    
  • Options

Hi Mick,

sounds like you have got it all sorted!! Also make sure you have the correct trainers for you gait.

• Options

there wasn't really much pain but no.. no pain now. Physio still wont let me run though :'(  still just over 2 weeks image thanks that's reassured me a lot!! I am just very fed up thank you for your time though image feel reassured

• Options

Hi that's all done, I'll pop back on later if anyone has a query to my posts.

Good luck with all the running. remember it's about the other stuff too that's what helps us become a better runner and have less injuries.

• Options

Hi Gen, better to invest in the correct time now than come back too soon and have to start again. Use the time to work on core and flexibilty to prevent it happening again!!

• Options

thank you - so running is out for the time being image

• Options
    Hi Sarah,

It huts to squat, no swelling and not sore to stretch. I can stand on the bad leg but can't bend my knee without pain. As for side to side - can go to my left but not to my right (the bad knee side). Thanks again image
  • Options

Hi Sarah

just wanted to say thanks for your great advice really appreciated! 

katy