Emergency kit order

Comments

• Pop-Up Schmunks wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

......Now though there seem to be folks who've never posted on here, not introduced themselves, no effort whatsoever. They might have read a few threads and know that 'there are no rules' but does that make it okay for your first post (or near enough) being "Kit please"? I don't think so - and that's without considering the element of inconvenience and financial risk undertaken by those generous enough to volunteer their time and money on orders.

+1

M..o.use wrote (see)

...There was a post on FB recently from someone who said they had no intention of posting on the forum.  Not sure how tongue in cheek that post was.  Personally that rubs me up the wrong way.  The forum is the home of the pirate and I don't think people should post their queries on FB, they should be here. 

Another +1 from me

When I first started posting in the Tri section, there appeared to be a 'collective respect' for the way things were done (maybe because it was a smaller group?).  Now, IMHO, PSOF is too big and therefore too diverse. 

I don't think the FB helps.  How can you have something like the IMFrance thread, sock thread etc on FB.  These are the sort of threads were you get to know people. FB is great for one-off queries, but it ain't gonna get you that involved in PSOF image

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

PSOF is becoming more and more popular and there are many factors pushing this.   Im not sure this is the place to discuss it though and am conscious this thread’s getting hijacked.

The big question is really – “What do people want from PSOF?”   Im keen to hear from newer people, its no good the ‘old guard’ popping up and saying it used to be like X, Y & Z.   That said, there are certain things that have worked that perhaps shouldn’t change, similarly people have made an investment through involvement which should qualify them a dividend of influence.

I don’t think we can totally control the popularity of the pirates, what I do think we should try and change is the way PSOF has become a disparate and less engaging community.   I don’t think the FB helps with this, it used to be pirates but seems more like the pirate fanclub/exchange and mart.

I agree with The Engineer, we cannot be dismissive of people that turn up out of the blue, for all we know they could be the next Bouncing Barlist?  There are lots of pirates that weren’t posting 3 years ago.  That said if your first post if ‘I want kit’ or youve not introduced yourself its completely reasonable for people to ask who you are.  Id even go further ask whether its time to suggest ‘you earn your kit’ quite a few think seem this is already the expectation.  Earning your kit shouldn’t just be about doing an IM, it should be about contributing, supporting, getting to know people.  In my view you can earn the kit even if you’ve no intention

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

What, you mean I am not Sugar Tits?

• In fact I nearly quoted everything and 'agreed' with it ...

• Do we perhaps think that the dissolution of the FB page would help or is this part of the evolution ??

• Sorry jumbo jugs your not sugar tits

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Didn't you do Outlaw the year it was the pirate champs TSA?  

Nope, did the first 2 years when there was a big Pirate presence but it was the third year that it was the official race, at which Mrs SA raced and myself and Jordy had feed station duty and won a supporters award

So I'm Sugar Tits?image that's sounds a name that could stick

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Do we perhaps think that the dissolution of the FB page would help or is this part of the evolution ??

Personally, I don't think the FB group helps with the cohesion of the group for the reasons I cited above.

Also, I feel the forum is the 'spiritual home of PSOF' and that's where I feel we should all come to. 

But I am unlikely to ever sail with the ship, so I guess under FF's qualifying criteria, I may as well be talking out of my arse imageimage

• I think we should colour code the kit ... the darker the yellow the more posts you have    image

#still awesome

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

The dissolution of the FB page would just mean that someone else would start another PSOF page.  That's all part of the evolution.  If Cougie hadn't done it, someone else would have done.  I do completely agree that the forum should be the 'spiritual home of PSOF' though.

TSA - yes, of course, I remember you and Jordy getting your award.  Oh well, Mrs TSA can keep her kit.  You can send yours back. image

• That just gives you licence to post even more bullshit, Melds imageimage

• I can see what you're saying Mouse, but that feeds into the 'collective respect' I mentioned earlier. 

In a hypothetical situation, if something has been discussed and the consensus is that something is/isn't wanted, there should be the respect to honour that 'view', reagrdless of personal opinion

That was the one thing that struck me when I first started posting; that things were agreed collectively and people respected the overall view

• M...eldy wrote (see)

I think we should colour code the kit ... the darker the yellow the more posts you have    image

#still awesome

Your docked 130,000 posts for using a hashtag when not on twitter...Canary yellow for you my dear

• And it galls me to have to agree with Barlos, but those who have been 'involved' should have a greater influence
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

True enough re consensus Schmunks, not sure about agreeing with Barlos. image

• Pop-Up Schmunks wrote (see)

That just gives you licence to post even more bullshit, Melds imageimage

Rule 13 Schmunks .. Rule 13   image

• hi all, i am relatively new to triathlon and to the forum (although i did introduce myself). it was my understanding (and feel free to correct me if i am wrong) that to race in pirate colours you have to have the intention of doing an iron distance event and get involved on the forum. i was bitten by the triathlon bug after competing in my first sprint tri last september......i have now become obsessed with completing an iron distance race which i intend to do in 2015 (recovering very slowly from an achilles injury) . this year i have a couple of half marathons , 2 more sprint tri's and an olympic distance in september. I have ordered kit but if this is an issue i am happy to be removed from the list and wait. my reasons for wanting to be a pirate? help and advice from those better qualified than myself (most of you), the fact that you dont take yourselves too seriously, the banter and support (still finding my feet on the forum) , lastly i think it would be cool to race in the pirate colours image

• Manimal don't panic and please don't take yourself off the kit order. This is a debate that's been going on from before Meld was young (she still is) and will probably still be going on when sugar tit's have been banned for causing Diabeties.

With the amount of work that has to go into kit order's unpaid mostly from schmuck's it would be a bit sh*t if the subject didn't come up espeally as sometimes folks order kit and are never seen again after.

Basically don't panic.

If it's a darker colour for the amount of useless post's should I be wearing black kit? image

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Pop-Up Schmunks wrote (see)

That just gives you licence to post even more bullshit, Melds imageimage

Rule 13 Schmunks .. Rule 13   image

Blisters wrote (see)

.....and remember that Meldy is always right, except when Schmunks says otherwise.

imageimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Do we perhaps think that the dissolution of the FB page would help or is this part of the evolution ??

no its just another part of the growing world....I can't post on RW from my phone but can on facebook.I imagine its the same for loads of people....

you might as well try banning everything piratey on twitter....

as long as people interact it doesn't really matter where they interact to be honest.

now stop posing you lot as I have to keep on looking back to find my latest listimage

• Armwarmers  £20

Seren Nos x2
    Evil pixie medium
    M Tri  medium
    Red stripe
    Duda Medium
    SA Large
    Mrs SA Medium
    Stanners Red stripe   Small

Monaco   £42

Seren Nos
    IronBlue  XL
    IGIT   small
    Ewen lewis  XL
    Hofmeister bear  X2  large
    MTri      medium
    Flyaway Funkin   1 medium & 1 large
    Stormie  medium
    Flat Footed XL
    Manimal  L
    RBMax  medium
    Duda sml
    LMH  SML
    Gavo medium
    Richard10  X2 medium
    Thomas Sharp
    Maddy Large
    Goon  x large

Tri shorts  £33

Seren Nos
    IronBlue medium
    JPGoodboy
    Ewen Lewis   XL
    Hofmeister Bear  X2   large
    MTri   medium
    SuckitupButtercup (xs) Last out of the water  small
    Stormie  medium
    Manimal medium
    Duda  x2 medium and small
    SA Medium
    Dawn shadow  large
    Pug316   XL
    Gavo medium
    Capt Jack Sparra XL
    pudge  small
    Ironwolf  L
    LMH  XS
    Richard10 M
    Thomas sharp
    Maddy M
    Goon   Medium,

• I have never and am unlikely to sail with the pirate ship - I have been racing IM and in pirate kit since 2008. I'm not on Twitter nor on FB and don't even post on the tri forums that much. If someone wants to decide that I shouldn't be racing in pirate kit I'll save my money and buy something in the sales.

Some of the discussion on here is much of the reason for the above, I'm not that old guard but still think that it wasn't like this when I joined.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Armwarmers  £20

Seren Nos x2
    Evil pixie medium
    M Tri  medium
    Red stripe
    Duda Medium
    SA Large
    Mrs SA Medium

Stanners Red stripe   Small

Tricoops Medium

Monaco   £42

Seren Nos
    IronBlue  XL
    IGIT   small
    Ewen lewis  XL
    MTri      medium
    Stormie  medium
    Flat Footed XL
    Manimal  L
    RBMax  medium
    Duda sml
    LMH  SML
    Gavo medium
    Richard10  X2 medium
    Thomas Sharp
    Maddy Large
    Goon  x large

Tri shorts  £33

Seren Nos
    IronBlue medium
    JPGoodboy
    Ewen Lewis   XL
    MTri   medium
    Stormie  medium
    Manimal medium
    SA Medium
    Dawn shadow  large
    Pug316   XL
    Gavo medium
    Capt Jack Sparra XL
    pudge  small
    Ironwolf  L
    LMH  XS
    Richard10 M
    Thomas sharp
    Maddy M
    Goon   Medium,

• this discussion has been done every few months for the last 6 years I beleive at least.....discussion is good...image

but bugger off my thread imageimageimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)

I think we should colour code the kit ... the darker the yellow the more posts you have    image

#still awesome

Those who choose to piss in their wetsuits would surely skew this ranking system?

• imageimageimage

and Seren, you know that it is also law to take every thread off topic before the 3rd page   image

• *puts on flack jacket and hides behind a big sign that says "Mae'n ddrwg gennyf Seren"

As a  newcomer to the pirates I would like to have a  say which of course can disregard or derider as you see fit. image I came to the pirates through a desperate attempt to figure out quite what I had let myself in for having signed up to IMW as well as get some help and advise on training. I lurked on the forum for  a few weeks then found the PSOF website and did a bit of reading. I liked what I found,I like mutual aid and not taking things to seriously. Anybody who tries to go from a standing start to IM in one year is  fool no mistake about that. image

I love the banter between the pirate even if some of the in jokes and jibs go over my head, but then what's new most things go over my head.

I  have tried to get involved and joined in a few thread and got a great response for people like Meldy and Seren who always seem to be around to either welcome newcomers or poke those that don't take time to introduce themselves, and rightly so in the case of the latter. I have also made an attempt to meet up with a few of the Pirate such as Barlo even it was just to pay my membership fees  imageand Schmunks too ;0

So for what its worth my take on it is that while the overall driving force is that the end goal is IM distance tri there also needs to be a will to join in. I too was surprised to see completely new faces asking to placed on Seren's kit order. I think it's one thing to ask how do I get some kit or can I race in Pirate kit than it is to pop up on a thread out of the blue saying put me down on the order and I can see how this has rattled a few of the longer term ( carefully not using older image )Pirates cages.

I think I may have just made  a short story long but I think engagement is the key. What's the point of being a pirate if your not 'A Pirate' ?

• Armwarmers  £20

Seren Nos x2
    Evil pixie medium
    M Tri  medium
    Red stripe small
    Duda Medium
    SA Large
    Mrs SA Medium
    Stanners
    Tricoops Medium

Monaco   £42

Seren Nos
    IronBlue  XL
    IGIT   small
    Ewen lewis  XL
    MTri      medium
    Stormie  medium
    Flat Footed XL
    Manimal  L
    RBMax  medium
    Duda sml
    LMH  SML
    Gavo medium
    Richard10  X2 medium
    Thomas Sharp
    Maddy Large
    Goon  x large

Tri shorts  £33

Seren Nos
    IronBlue medium
    JPGoodboy
    Ewen Lewis   XL
    MTri   medium
    Stormie  medium
    Manimal medium
    SA Medium
    Dawn shadow  large
    Pug316   XL
    Gavo medium
    Capt Jack Sparra XL
    pudge  small
    Ironwolf  L
    LMH  XS
    Richard10 M
    Thomas sharp
    Maddy M
    Goon   Medium,

Seems I was down for two pairs of arm warmers so tidied up the list, hopefully not screwing it up image
  • Pudge wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

#still awesome

Those who choose to piss in their wetsuits would surely skew this ranking system?

Those with my washing skills will also discolour and skew the rankings, I'm waiting for my kit to become blood orange in colour

• 'I think I may have just made  a short story long but I think engagement is the key. What's the point of being a pirate if your not 'A Pirate' ?'

That is a very good way of putting it Duda, top of the class (for now)