MBNA Chester Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi Lord Boz well done,  sounds like a good plan ! I'm still ticking over with long wkly run of 8 miles and at last managed a tempo run today ...woohoo !! .. not been able to do one for a month due to asthma glad to say seems to be getting under control again image Looking forward to starting mara training yet slightly scared at same time image !!

• Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

Hi Lord Boz, hope you don't mind me jumping in. I have looked at the Novice 2 and was looking to have a go at my first marathon and 4.30 was the time I was looking at. Any idea what sort of long run times that equates to in the training plan? 10.17 a mile is the race pace so would I be correct in assuming long runs at around 11.00 a mile? I am just a newbie to all of this and have only just ran my first half so any help would be gratefully received.

• I've read previously that you should go from 30 to 90 seconds slower per mile than your race pace. Which for 10.17 is 10.47 to 11.47 min per min. At the moment I'm still unsure as to what pace to run at as I don't think I'll know until I've done a 16 mile plus run.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm definitely in for this one now image  After the kerfuffle of Edinburgh I am looking forward to a well-organised and transparent raceimage

Lord Boz, I think an appropriate guideline for long runs is generally 10-15% slower than marathon pace, which is 11.30- 12.00 pace, approximately.  I would start at the slightly slower end, and build up to the faster if you are able at the end of the run.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!  A heads up that the Chester Marathon training runs along the greenway start up again on Sunday.  More info here.

These are a series of free, informal "pop along and join in" training runs provided by the Chester Marathon organisers.  These give you the opportunity to run with others and chat about their training, gaining valuable advice, tips and encouragement at the same time. 

This Sunday's run is preceded by a seminar entitled "18 Weeks To Your First Marathon".

9am: Seminar: "18 Weeks To Your First Marathon".
    10am approx: Training Run (Novice: 6 miles, Intermediate: 9 miles, Advanced: 11miles)

Meet at Total Fitness, Liverpool Road, Chester CH2 1AQ.

I should probably say that I'm one of the Chester pacing team but I've no vested interest in the Chester Marathon beyond that.  I receive no payment or other inducement, and freely give up my time because I believe that the Chester organisers really do put runners' interests at the heart of what they do.

I'll be leading one of the pace groups on Sunday and will be happy to chat to anyone before, during or after the run about most anything (not religion or politics though!).  I'm the guy with the green mohican.

• Hi Njord ...and anyone else following ! Sounds great, really wish I could join in on the training runs sounds really useful and I could do with as much advice as I can get!! Alas for me (and I assume many others) I'm having to go it alone on training as a tad to far from Wiltshire image !! Respect to all the pacers, reckon I will certainly be relying on you on the day !

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Njord - good for you for helping out with the Chester training runs.   LOL at the green Mohican.

Won't be able to join you as I'm in Devon, but looking forward to Chester marathon.

• A big thank you to Chris, Dave & all the pace runners who gave up their time for the first marathon training session today.  I thoroughly enjoyed it & will certainly try to attend the next one.  Very relaxed & friendly and no pressure to over exert!

Richard

• Hi, I hope it's ok to put in a modest sales pitch here - we organise an annual 20-miler, four weeks before Chester, the South Cheshire 20. Testing, mostly rural course with fantastic feedback (check out the Runners World page) and ideal marathon prep. As little as £11 in advance too. 

http://www.southcheshireharriers.org.uk/clubraces/20m/20m_main.php

https://www.facebook.com/events/236413166545293/

Plug over. Good luck with your training image

• Just signed up for Chester Marathon 2014.

This will be my first marathon, but hopefully my training schedule should put me in good stead to set a good marker time for the any future ones I compete in (providing this one doesn't put me off full marathons for life).image

Good luck everyone!

• Hi Hilly88 good luck, there's a few first timers for this one inc myself ! Training underway now happy running everyone image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hilly, you'll be fine image  Put the training in and you'll get round.  

I'm itching to get into my plan...  About 10 days to go!

• My training plan starts next Monday. Can't wait!!!

• Never done a marathon before but am also tempted by this (mainly as it's relatively local). Done two 10k races this year (High Legh and Bolton) in just over 39 and 40 mins respectively and have a park run 2014 PB of 19:04. Haven't run a half marathon in the past 3 years, although I have done some Olympic and mid-distance Tri's, therefore my main concern is, have I got enough training time left to prepare suffientiently for a marathon distance?

I'd like to start a plan (not sure what plan?) on Monday (2 days time) but am not sure whether I'm better focusing soley on this in 2015 - or am I just being a wet fish and looking for excuses!

• Hi Eggler , I'm prob not the best person to give advice on this as as also going to be my first but I don't think you are too late to start training. I am about to complete week 1 of the 17 wk London mara intermediate plan. At the moment it's a bit less than I usually do and has a fairly steady build up. It sounds like you are a regular runner and certainly no plodder ! The plan is based on running Tuesday, Thursday Sat and Sunday . There are lots of different plans out there to look at and I'm sure you will find one that suits you. It's a big commitment for sure and I had a few sleepless nights pondering about it ! Good luck with your decision /training image !!

• I too don't class myself as being the best to advise as it's only my first marathon, but my 16 week plan starts tomorrow. I'll be following the Asics 26.2 Marathon Challenge Training Plan (intermediate sub 3:30).

There's still time...
  • Thanks for your replies Heather and Hilly. I've decided to go for it and enter, there's no point in putting it off and I'm sure I'll learn lots from the training which can be put to good use for a marathon next year. Still not sure what program to follow, might go for the free Runners World one http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-basic-marathon-schedules-advanced/110.html

I'll just make sure I record everything so I can tweak it in future.

• Great news well done ! I've also been recording runs in a diary ! Gd luck with training image

• I'm following that Hal Higdon novice two plan. Four runs a week with the long run on a Sunday part of this. Did a ten mile slow plod today (really slow today, been off work this week and been out twice on the beer!) so rest day tomorrow. First marathon so looking to finish around 4.15.
  • Great weather for wk off work !  Slow plod sounds absolute bliss, my sat and sun run were both steady now feeling totally pooped ....wasn't expecting that ....early night I reckon !

• I was out last night so it was never going to be speedy. Rest tomorrow then back running on Tuesday. Long run is only 6 miles on Sunday so might push the speed work this week as a treat.
  • I'm entered too, and this will be my 4th Mara.

I used the Hal Higdon novice program for my 1st, but only took the distances from it. I got my paces from a Jack Daniels training calculator (based on a 10k race time) , but then also added structure with 2weeks hard, one week easy, where on the hard weeks I would do speed work on Tuesday, fasted run on Wednesday, hill sprints or tempo on alternate Thursdays, and fast finish long runs on the weekend. I also mountain biked one of the weekend days. I ran a 4h14. 

I am now using the FIRST program which has done wonders for my 10k times. Only time will tell for Chester!

• Might enter this closer to time. Ran it last year and was a really we'll organised race. Will be my 4the marathon if I do it. Rhyl half marathon a week on Sunday is my next race. Really been suffering with my right calf over last 2-3 months. Back into my 30+ miles a week last 3 weeks. I don't follow any plan. I just build up from 30 to 60 miles with about 3 weeks to go. I recommend getting in at least  5 long runs between 16-22 miles.

my goal is a sub 3.15 in manchester next spring

• Hi all .... been watching this thread for a while now - my wife and I are doing Chester and are thinking about accommodation ........ for those that have done Chester in previous years, has anyone stayed in the Mill Hotel?  it appears to be walkable to the racecourse and provides parking which appears to be a novelty for hotels in the city centre.  Any idea if they do an early breakfast on the day?  is this a good option in general i.e. food, locality etc?

The race website is promoting The Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel - any thoughts on this one - car journey as opposed to walking on the day?

thanks all!

• I'm booked in at the premier Inn in the city centre. only a 20 minute walk to racecourse to get the legs moving in the morning.
  • Im staying sat and Sunday night. I'll look out for you at breakfast. I'll be the one eating corn flakes and toast.
  • Porridge for me ! Gd plan staying Sat/Sun unfortunately only staying 1 night ...not looking forward to journey home afterwards image!!

• staying on the Sunday means I can go back to the hotel have a shower and probably a sleep before limping out to the pub later.
  • Brilliant !! certainly beats sitting in car for 3hrs for sure ! Pretty warm run this morn despite going out early ....nice tho !