MBNA Chester Marathon 2014

Comments

• Forgot to ask - so what are we all looking at doing next?

That's me for racing this year. Main plans 2015 are Liverpool Rock & Roll marathon in June, main target is the BTR Tour of Merseyside in July (6 races = 52 miles in 7 days) and I am seriously considering the Venice Marathon on 25th October. If I do Venice, the metric marathon in Chester is 3 weeks before and could be ideal as a training race.

• As this was my first marathon, I have always maintained that if I managed to get a 3:30, that would be it for me. Yesterday I didn't really know what to expect but had my sights set on a 3:30-3:45, yet ended up with 3hours 25mins, so I'm bowing out on a massive high for me. 

A marathon has always been something that I wanted to cross off my 'bucket list' whilst at the same time raising money for charity. I've done all that I wanted to achieve.

I will continue with he running though and will look at doing some half marathons and 10k's during 2015, but like Saintbarca, I won't be entering any more races this year.

• I'm going to enter the Leeds Abbey 10k in about six weeks then I'm relaxing and deciding where to go next year.
  • Being Chester born & living a stones throws over the border I thought it was rude not to do Chester marathon.  Yesterday was the day & was hoping to knock some serious time of my only other marathon appearance (London 2012 4 hrs 35) & get under 4 hours.  Felt brilliant starting & having positioned myself in between the 4 & 3:45 pacers I found myself with the 3:45 group after about 7 miles until about  14.  I was slightly worried I'd overdone it & as a previous sufferer of ITBS I really was sure what do when the dreaded tight quads started to niggle.  I decided the only choice was to gut it out but mile splits were starting to slip until about 24 miles where both quads were shot & had to walk.  As soon as I legs cramped up & realised why you're not supposed to stop running in a marathon.  I did start jogging again hoping that that 4 hour pacer wouldn't pass me but the moment he did I knew that was it, I did manage to jog in for the last 500m in 4:04 and a few seconds but promptly cramped up & fell on my arse!  

Very disappointed that legs would not carry on when I felt I had bags of energy but my own fault I think, I'd not done enough miles at a quicker pace & had relied on cross training (long bike rides) in with my long runs & not to mention those 30 seconds a mile too fast in the first 14.  We live & learn, not sure I'm built for marathons & two is more than most people ever do, so may try and improve on my half marathon time and bow out on 26.2.

• Great event though, brilliant organisation & support and final huge thanks to the volunteers ... Some of which had to help me back on my feet & through to St .johns ambulance!!!  image

• Speed-10, you've done a shade over 4 hours in a marathon despite injury problems and yet you think you are not cut out for it? You knocked half an hour off the first one.

Almost certain that if you paced it right you'd get under 4 hours if you did another. You are that close it would be a shame not to complete it.

My favourite races are half marathons but I'll carry on with marathons as I've also only done 2 and want to carry on at 2 per year until I can't hack it anymore. As I love to travel I want to do one a year overseas and one here.

• I was running it with a relative who was doing their first marathon and was just looking to make sure they got round in under 4 hours.

Paced him to halfway in 1:49 and decided he would safely get under 4 hours so I took off to see what I could do for the second half.

Pleased to finish in 3:23:21 with a 5 minute PB which was nice considering the pedestrian first half.  Full of confidence to go on for 3:15 after a winter of training which will consist of another 7 or so marathons

Great day, lovely course, support and nutrition was excellent and the medal/tee is lovely.

Marathon number 13 clearly wasnt unlucky for me

• Thanks Saintbarca, think it's the fact that the legs dont live with my cardio that's frustrated me, I've shifted 20lbs between the two marathons and felt I could run also day energy & cardio wise but still weighing in at 14 stone I just have that bagging feeling 4 hours of running is to wearing on muscles, joints &  iliotibial bands.  Expected to be gutted to miss out on 4 hours but very accepting of the fact I had no more to give.  I may well have vowed never to do a marathon again the first time, so perhaps I should never say never!

• Another amusing moment for me was when I got overtaken by the guy dressed as Peppa Pig on the home straight, who had enough left in the tank for a sprint finish. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Haha

• Speed-10, I was 19st 3 years ago and would have laughed at anyone suggesting I'd be any kind of runner. Lost 6.5 stone in 2012, still 12.5stone now. All it would take is a little more pacing discipline. Hope you give it another go.
  • Same as you Hilly88

That's my first and last one. Pleased with just under 3.30 as I knew I wanted to get under 4 hours so I put in the training.

I'm happy to stick with the half marathons as the training is a bit less selfish, having to bugger off for 3 hour training runs, leaving the wife with the 3 young 'uns.

Birmingham Half next for me in just under 2 weeks. Gonna really go for it and see if I can get under 1.35.

• Never saw Peppa Pig haha. One of my mates yesterday was going for his first sub 3 hour marathon but said he died on 23 miles with Sandy Lane killing him. Finished in 3 hrs 55 seconds. Ouch!

• Hilly88 I vaguely recall the commentator on the tannoy saying something about "diving for/after the line", or something along those lines, a couple of minutes after I'd finished, which would tie in with your time. I bet that was you!

Also, about only ever doing one...that's what I said, 3 years ago. I understand why, and often it's not even about how tiring it is. I prefer shorter races too. RichieP you're right, the increased training is a little selfish, but both of you may come to a time in your life when you have more time for it, or you fall in with a bunch of people who eventually all say they'll do So-and-so marathon and you just can't say no. There's nothing like a bit of hippy group action, that's what got me when I realised so many from my club were doing Chester.

I must say also that yesterday was a lot more enjoyable than my first. The challenge this time was something to attack, rather than the first time which felt more like something to fear, particularly after 20 miles. You harden to the demands of it and it does get easier and more immersive. It'd be a shame to put all that experience you've gained to bed, never say never!

My race was pretty shocking, I had to go for a number 2. Three times. In a portaloo and two fields. Grabbing at grass. I'd love to have used the portaloo on each occasion, but when you gotta go...

More lessons learned for next time!

• Think I may go off road and do the Bath skyline series over winter they are 10k races...if u like the race bling Saintbarca the medals (4 of them) all join together like a jigsaw puzzle to form the Royal Crescent in Bath !!

Definitely want to have another go at a marathon in the New Year... like Lord Boz I need to crack that 4.30 

• Very nice, Heather. Hoping I won't be racing over the Winter - have earned the right to a little optional & expensive abdominoplasty to sort out the remaining issues from having been 6.5 stone larger. Will need a month or so off running at a minimum. Hoping for December to minimise disruption to my business.

• Well I say deserved Saintbarca, hope it goes well for you image

• I hope everyone is not in too much pain today. My legs are very stiff and feet feel like I been clubbing in high heels all weekend image

Along with being stiff I have been quite cross and short tempered this afternoon. I work in a primary school and I'm putting my short fuse down to tiredness and hunger. In previous jobs I've taken the day aff after a mara as it is so draining mentally and physically.

I'll be doing more marathons in the future as getting a good for age at Chester was my method of getting place in London 2016. So all going well my next mara should be London 2016 as I didn't get a ballot place as usual for 2015. As I live in London it is my local one and doing Chester felt quite extravagant.

I've often felt selfish going out on the long runs but do try and justify it by saying it is for a finite period of time, it is setting a good example to the children and they get to come along for a weekend away. That's my excuse anyway!

Early night for everyone tonight?

• First road marathon for me. Really happy to break 3hrs even though it was grim going. 2:59:44. Not a bad days work as a first attempt. I know I can do better but I hit my target so I'm pretty pleased with that. Great to hear everyone else's stories too reading back through the thread. 

My legs are stiff as hell today and whenever I sit down it takes ages to get back up again! Off to do some bike or a recovery run now I think to try and loosen up. 

Well done everyone image

• My legs are stiff but not as bad as I thought they would be, mainly quads that are sore feel like they've  been whacked with a baseball bat image Ok once moving !!

Def early night I don't think I will take much rocking tonight Liz ! ....and well done for getting your goal time image

Yorkshire Rob awesome job !

• Legs hated me this morning for making them do a kettlebells class at 7am but has nicely freed up anything that was a bit tight yesterday. There may be a mutiny later when I'm doing a spin class. Am skiving the rest of the week though until a run on Saturday.

Will be a bit strange to just go and run on Saturday with no target mileage or time and not training for anything specific. I'll wear my Garmin watch but may cover it up with a sweatband so I can't even see what time I'm doing. Think I'll just set out on a 10 mile loop.

• Yikes that was brave ! My legs feel pretty good now but am refraining to go for recovery run until Thursday, will prob go on bike in gym later just to loosen off a bit and do some core and weights before yoga.

Scouting around on website at mo looking for another race...feel totally lost with nothing to aim for how sad is that image

• I've just been looking at mine in horror.  Do I really look that unheroic when I run?!  I don't think I'll be coughing up £30 for those, thank you very much.

• My "action" photos don't look great although the one crossing the finish is ok. I bought the Barcelona ones as it was my first marathon. Not tempted this time.
  • I dont even look like im running in most of them! Must put more effort in haha.

• Hi all. Just signed up so I could review Sundays race. Really enjoyed it for my debut marathon. Great organisation, great course, awesome pacers. Came home in a time of 3:27:38. Legs still ache but I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks Chester!
  • Reviewing my pictures from a seaside bar in Lanzarote. Is there a video as well does anyone know? Legs... well quads feel sore but loosening up now. Might even try a wee run tomorrow or Thursday. Until then I'm doing a nice bit of eating sleeping and drinking. 28c tomorrow. Gonna be tough.
  • Lord Boz- i started my marathon training earlier this year in Lanzarote. One run in ten days. Not the best way to prepare for 26 miles!