Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    What made Chester better Boston plodded?
  • Options

CB, I loved the atmosphere at chester, and the fact that I didnt collapse at mile 20 probaly helped. I prefer more intimate races

• Options

thats unlucky boston!!!. I enjoyed the rhyl runfest this morning. A good event, a little disappointed with the lack of crowd! 1.34 for me ! was hoping to get back under 1.30 but was not to be!at least  the calf problem I've been suffering with for last 3 months has finally fingers crossed gone away. A big painful blister slowed me down today, I ran the Shrewsbury half last Sunday,  it started rubbing then!

chemane ive ran both. Chester is better organised but I preferred the flatter manchester route and the support was better in my opinion . I'll prob do both but I've also heard there's a wrexham marathon in March which is where I was born so I might do that instead of manchester

• Options

hi RR, good running!

I just got back from a training run, I intended to do a nice steady 10 miles. After 1.5 miles, I had to make an emergency stop for the loo with an upset tummy!! then again at mile 5!, took a wrong turn and ended up running 13.1 miles!! I was happy to romp home in 1h 48. slightly hung over, no drink and the tummy issues aside, a really enjoyable run!!

• Options

bad stomach - curse of the long distance runner. I'm ok normally! but occasionally get bad tum after 18 mile + runs but had a sis gel last week and today both time had bad tummy after race , never had any problems with them in past not sure if it's the added heat or just don't agree with me anymore!

Half way there boston! I always take  a camelbak on training runs. You got any halfs planned between now and October ?

ive got a 10k in 2 weeks then crack in with some training for this. 

• Options

I am doing thunder run, race the train, a 5 miler somewhere on the south coast next sunday with the gf. and a few local 10ks. We are planning on racing the 5 miler, then doing another lap to fit in with training plan, it will all get far to competitive between us.....

as for hydration, I am usually fine up to 10 miles, but the extra 3 miles due to going the wrong way meant I was very dehydrated!!

• Options
    I ended up doing half marathon distance today too. This was my longest ever run, and I wanted to gauge where I am at the moment. My main aim was to stay at a consistent, yet comfortable pace as I didn't use the Garmin today, and I got home in 1 hour 39 mins. Pretty pleased with that and I felt good - aching a bit now mind...

Atleast I've now got an idea of a rough Half Marathon time now.
  • Options

good running Hilly!!

I am pooped, but still buzzing so not ready to sleep yet!

• Options
    Thanks Boston!

I forgot to say, well done to you both on your runs today guys!! (BP & RR)
  • Options

cheers buddy.

I think training is going ok, so lets wait to see the madness ensue, sa we start getting niggles and sniffles!!

• Options

7 easy miles tonight, run as a leg of the GB Relay, carried the baton/brick for 4 miles! nice evening for a plod. 

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.  There's another Chester Marathon training run this Sunday.  No seminar this week so just turn up ready to run at 9am image.  We'll split into various pace groups as before, covering distances ranging from 10 miles (novice) up to 14 miles (advanced).  The route is out-and-back along the Chester Greenway, so no risk of anyone getting lost!

My information post from last month...

Njord wrote (see)

Hi everyone!  A heads up that the Chester Marathon training runs along the greenway start up again on Sunday.  More info here.

These are a series of free, informal "pop along and join in" training runs provided by the Chester Marathon organisers.  These give you the opportunity to run with others and chat about their training, gaining valuable advice, tips and encouragement at the same time. 

Meet at Total Fitness, Liverpool Road, Chester CH2 1AQ.

I should probably say that I'm one of the Chester pacing team but I've no vested interest in the Chester Marathon beyond that.  I receive no payment or other inducement, and freely give up my time because I believe that the Chester organisers really do put runners' interests at the heart of what they do.

I'll be leading one of the pace groups on Sunday and will be happy to chat to anyone before, during or after the run about most anything (not religion or politics though!).  I'm the guy with the green mohican.

• Options

I t will soon be long run time again, what plans have we got for the week end??

• Options
    I've had a mare this week. After my my 13mile last weekend, then 2 x 6 mile midweek runs my right knee cap has swelled up and I'm struggling to bend it (I get a weird numb sensation around the knee cap when I do bend it). Also if I've sat down for a while and then stand up, it seems to keep clicking/grinding and then all behind my knee on the right hand side is painful, similar to cramp.

Unless I have a miracle recovery I have no choice but to rest it this week. Not good!
  • Options

rest it Hilly!!! What are you thoughts on dosing up on ibruprofen? I used to, but gf is very anti it, particularly on race day...

• Options
    I think it's a bout of 'runners knee'. I've been applying ice to it 3 times a day for the past 2 days and thankfully I've seen and felt some improvement. However, I'm definitely going to rest it during the next 5-7 days and then see how it feel later next week.

The last thing I want to do is aggregate it and spend more time injured.
  • Options

Aah, runners knee, that old favourit!!!

I will keep my fingers crossed that it sorts its self out..

I did 5 miles last night, averaged 8.10 miles and felt like I was dragging my legs along kicking and screaming!! not pleasant!

• Options

^ mile race yesterdy has left me with rather tired legs today!!

I need to start bumping up the miles, and need to get the speed sessions nailed as well, how is every one else getting on??

• Options

Ran with boyf yesterday at a HILLY half marathon- his longest distance to date. It was humid and hilly. There was a lot of going down just to come back up again. Did I mention it was hilly..... It was just a training run for me but was very pleased to see I tackled the terrain which was slippy at times even in trail shoes, we ran every hill, walked the water stations, yet were on target for a sub 2hours and I was VERY comfortable with the pace. Happy days image I'd had a hard training week as well right up to and including the night before. 

If the weather is good this coming weekend I think I will race the "gently undulating" rural road HalfM I have booked and then take a rest week as I'm ahead of schedule really. Luvvin the FIRST plans. Paces are tough but very rewarding. Strength work is definitely having effect. Recovery feels as thought its happening overnight. Very happy. 

• Options

all sounds good then natty!! I wish that I was as confident with my training schedule. My base level of fitness seems ok, need to loose half a stone that seems to have crept on and all should be well. 

up coming races in my training plan stur half in august, in dorset, Thunder run towards the end of this month, race the train in wales and thinking of doing ealing half in september....

• Options
    Well done Batty and BP.

I'm going to make my comeback tomorrow after nursing my knee for 2 weeks. I'm still none the wiser as to the route cause of the pain, but I think it was possibly a very light MCL tear or pulled hamstring. I've rested it and have felt no pain during the last few days and had slow a jog around at football over the weekend to loosen up abit.

Either way, I'm going to air in the side of caution. I'll take things easy during the next couple of weeks in terms of pace and not increasing the miles too much.
  • Options
    Sorry Natty!!! ***damn auto correct on my phone***
  • Options

sounds like a good plan hilly, I will keep fingers crossed for you!

• Options

Advanced train tickets for the 4th/5th October are now available on thetrainline. (Just got an email alert) Might save people a few pennies by booking early. 

• Options

Sounds most wise, Hilly

• Options

eek, not long now!!

• Options

Morning all, having slight panic here ! Runs getting slower than I've ever ran before image Never been the speediest around 9.15 min miles but now running around 10.30 and totally doing my head in ! plan I'm following has me running every day this wk followed by easier wk for adjustment and repair, hoping speed will come back after that ! legs usually feel bit heavy for LR's as intervals or hill sessions day before. Half mara planned in Aug ..really don't want it to be my slowest, other than that really enjoying training !

• Options

Every day image.!!!?!

• Options

Hi Natty ..My thoughts exactly ! Combination of jog/run all short around 40 -50 mins and 70mins fri....only prob is my run speed  has turned into a jog at mo !! 

• Options

I'm not surprised!