Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

471m to Loch Ness from home, could be a long Saturday. image 

50m ultra the weekend before. but, I have a quicker PB image should be legendary!! I think it should be live on the red button. 

First 20 miles are just the warm up image 

• Hey, why don't you jog up there BT? I'm much nearer but will probs leave on Friday and have a night at Onich (just in case of Ferry issues).

As for the race am banking on you being tired after your Ultra and even considering stopping smoking for a whileimage

• Hi I'm seriously considering this for my first ever marathon. have the edinburgh half end of may and will give myself a couple of weeks 'Rest' then a 16 week training plan. Looks like a very scenic route for the most of it. Will probably be hijacking this thread for advice!

• It's well worth doing, Mickymoomoo. Very scenic route, and with a small enough field it doesn't feel as intimidating as city marathons for your first one. I did the Edinburgh marathon as my first and felt horribly out of my depth with the number of people there, the corrals, etc. With Loch Ness (my second) I found it far more relaxed and enjoyable.

• Micky, I agree with Nothe, LN was my first Marathon and it was a great place to start image You were never running alone and never bunched up too much. I was near the back and they did run out out of water at one of the earlier stations but the rest were fine. 

I was a little worried at the start as there wasn't a 5 hour start place 4:30 was the end of the line lol. As mentioned earlier it's quite surreal being driven the 26.2 miles then 'dumped' at the side of  the road.

• take something to sit on the grass with to get changed at the start and take a good jacket as it can get pretty cold at the start hanging around for an hour. (dumped) image

they give you coffee and tea which is great and the queue for the toilets is massive but there is nothing else to do!

It's a very quick start in this race which can get you carried away with the pace! seen myself a few minutes up on my race pace after only a few miles.

so far it's been 3:33 in 2007, 3:23 in 2009, 3:44 in 2013 so don't know what to expect this year! Although going to be trying for a 3:10! We'll wait and see! image

How quick did London fill up!! wow!

• Mickymoomoo wrote (see)

Hi I'm seriously considering this for my first ever marathon. have the edinburgh half end of may and will give myself a couple of weeks 'Rest' then a 16 week training plan. Looks like a very scenic route for the most of it. Will probably be hijacking this thread for advice!

Go for it! The Loch Ness marathon is a fantastic event - very scenic, with some great support along the way and a great finish along the banks of the River Ness. A lot of it is quite flat, but be prepared for a few long, steep hills!

• Agree, this was my first ever marathon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you manage to include hill training in your schedule that will really help.
  • Less than 22 weeks to go everyone. Are we all on plan?

• image Plan? 

Bugger. Knew there was something I was supposed to do. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Nope, no plan at all, turn up and run at least 1 second quicker than Andi no matter how fast he goes. That's it. 

• starting on the 8-9th June on the SUB-3 Runners world shedule. 16 weeker!

P.B for me at the weekend of 19:24 in Parkrun! whoop!

BT- the race is on! image

• The "plan" quote was meant slightly tongue in cheek.

Rich 26: Well done with your PB. Looks like your on plan!!!!

Booktrunk: Like the target. Just waiting for Andi to come back with a similar target but in return. See you in Milton Keynes in 7 days.

• Yeah I know. So you joining us for the marathon then Nurse Ratched?

• Yup, I have a plan, a 21 week plan! Problem is I never seem to follow my plans image

No idea on target time as yet but 1 second faster than BT seems like a decent one to aim forimage 

I have this crazy urge to throw of my shoes at Dores and run barefoot for the last 8 miles!!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

as long as you have someone ready to pick up your shoes that's fine, or use some old knackered trainers you don't mind loosing. image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

well my cunning plan involves running a bit, then running a bit more, then getting injured, swearing a lot, and then just hoping to hell I can get away with it image 

i've got a 50 mile training run the week before Loch Ness, I'm hoping that it will sort of all take care of itself. 

Andi and I see each other's training on garmin connect image so we have some idea of each other's training which makes it interesting image 

I know it's ages away but already I'm thinking would I prefer a PB and to come second, or win but outside a PB image yes, I'm a loon. I reckon PB wins.

currently my PB is around 4-5m ahead of Andi's but he's going slightly faster in current training. 

• My plan is a bit like booktrunk although hopefully without the injury and swearing image although it's my 1st marathon and I want sub 4 hours so might think about doing a proper plan, but then that will involve doing that weird interval training stuff and hills and lots of the sort of running I don't really enjoy. 

• Andy, whilst I agree that running for runnings sake is the way to go the hills (mainly down hill ones) command some respect (read training).

Don't for get to share your 'proper' plan with us when you get oneimage

Now, where is the sarcasm smiley when you want one??

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

imageimageimage One of them image

maybe.....

Plans are good i'd love to have one, but it doesn't really fit in around my other running for the next few months.  Going to go back to a P&D Plan for Spring next year.

I think that as a newbie a plan for a marathon is a great idea, it just gives you some focus, you don't need to stress that you have every single run perfect as per the plan, but it does help to keep you going when you are having a bad week, it gives you something to focus on.

• booktrunk wrote (see)

Andi and I see each other's training on garmin connect image so we have some idea of each other's training which makes it interesting image 

feck! Went on the TM today to do a subLT run 4*70%AHR and 3*80%AHR. Started the run just before Dores (gotta love tecnology) so went from mile 17 to 24 (includes the looong hill). Pace kept steady at 11:07 for the easy 4 miles and 8:57 for the subLT miles. Then muppet here didn't reset the watch, turned it off and lost all the data so had to guess at the AHR image

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm in.  Quite a few people here doing it too

Alastair Simpson wrote (see)

Yeah I know. So you joining us for the marathon then Nurse Ratched?

Tsk, tsk, Alastair, do try to keep up dear, there's a good chap! image

I will be having a glass of lemonade with a very experienced marathon-running friend and her hubby in the coming week, to cobble together a plan based on everything I've collected from t'internet.

Or we may just bin all that and I'll pay them in wine to write one. 

At the moment I'm liking RW & Hal Higdon, so I can see myself going for one of those 

• Here is my plan (if you can see it here). Draft #1 so will probs change things a little. Am thinking of going my MLR & LSR to time rather than distance. The green outlined weeks are my illness/injury/lazyitus weeksimage

/members/images/581989/Gallery/LN2014.jpg

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Looking good image

do you think you should have two or three weeks with maybe a 10-15% reduction where you can sort of recover a bit, and let the body catch up with the hard work you've put in?

edit: not together just spread out pretty evenly ever 4 or so weeks? 

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)
    Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm in.  Quite a few people here doing it too

Alastair Simpson wrote (see)

Yeah I know. So you joining us for the marathon then Nurse Ratched?

Tsk, tsk, Alastair, do try to keep up dear, there's a good chap! image

I will be having a glass of lemonade with a very experienced marathon-running friend and her hubby in the coming week, to cobble together a plan based on everything I've collected from t'internet.

Or we may just bin all that and I'll pay them in wine to write one. 

At the moment I'm liking RW & Hal Higdon, so I can see myself going for one of those 

Nurse Ratched: That's usually my problem when running......Trying to keep up!

• Thanks for the comment Steph image I did try to reduce the LSR every few weeks and may play the rest by ear. The 2 recovery 3 milers could be my first runs to lose (though hope they will end up as my barefoot runs when I get to that distance).

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I was assuming that they would be the 'barefoot' runsimage

good luck with it. I like the increasing heart rate, good to see the extra effort. You will be flying around LN.

• Well I spent a couple of hours yesterday and wrote a 'training plan' v0.1 (not even liking it enough to make it version 1) I've also set up a 16 week plan on Runkeeper and will over the next week do some training reading and update my own plan so it maybe reaches v1 image

I think I need to reduce my amount of planed parkruns, or incorporate them into slightly longer runs, also need to think about my pacing, secretly aiming for 3:45, but 3:59 is probably a more realistic target (or just finishing even more so image) so probably need to be training a bit slower than planned. The 2.1 'loosener' is one of those 'lucky' things it's the route I did on my first proper run and I've run it pre-race ever since. 

Any advice very much welcome/ needed. bit worried I'm not planning on running enough compared to Andi's plan. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6wx_OcqeqIQelV0N090SEcyeWc/edit?usp=sharing 

Andi, how long have you been a wanna-to-be barefoot runner? it's something that interests me, currently run in Nike free's, think sometimes about getting a pair of vibrams to take it to the next level, but the thought scares me a little. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Regarding your pacing, how are you coming up with the 3:45 / 3:59 have you put the distances you have ran into something like the Mcmillan Running Calculator. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

It's not 100% accurate, but it will give you a guide. This will help to see if your targets are achievable. Personally it seems that you have quite a lot on the weekly long run.  Especially early in the plan, but then I guess it depends on other things etc... a plan has to fit around the rest of your life. It just sems a bit like a lot on the Wednesday and Sunday run and not a lot the rest of the time, but then I might be just the same looking back at my stuff image

I guess your three core runs are Wednesday / Sunday / and maybe park run?  for the speed element, and then just work around them adding milage here n thereimage I wouldn't try to go all out each park run, especially as you will be doing long runs the day after, you might find you want a more measured approach, where you run it reasonably hard each week,but only maybe once a month, if you have a shorter sunday run that day go all out 100%.