Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Pete: this is me overtaking this very slow women with pink hair, she looks to be struggling. ...... I know.... image 

• Nah, Booktrunk...it'll be you over taking me in the last 10 miles as I've gone off too fast....

I can't decide between my pirate buff or my usual running cap.  Oh and pain killers, tissues.  Actually I've dragged most of this stuff along on my training runs so I should be used to it by now.

• I had to succumb and purchase a hideous lightwieght bumbag affair for the EMF. Was ultimately glad of the annoying little blighter so it will make a reappearance: tissues, gels, shotblocks, ibuprofen, money. No phone - only person I might call will be several miles up the road ahead of me! Plan to have throwaway items (old fleece,plastic poncho etc at start).

Gentle 3.5 miles last night  (dark and a bit rainy n cool by the time I went out). Plan is for 2m tonight to turn legs over then nowt until Saturday when I'll do another gentle jog. Wish I wasn't feeling my dodgy hamstring quite so much. I think it must be all in my head. I can and I will...

• I intend going lightweight, carrying very little.

• I'll run with a gel belt, 6 gels and some minor drugs. Everything else I'm taking is disposable, including the flag

• I've asked my friends to text me around 2pm and remind me that if I don't finish they'll take the piss!  I figure at that point I'll be hurting and wanting to stop!

• Hi everyone, I haven't checked the posts for a couple of days and thee has been loads of chatter. Great to hear what everyone is up to and what everyone will be carrying on the day. I will be going very lightweight and relying on the water/gel stations. 

I had a nice trot around the block this morning for 5 miles, felt good, hopefully I will say that on Sunday afternoon.

i will be looking for the pirate flag at the start. I am starting to get really excited now and can't concentrate on anything, thank god tomorrow is my last day at work.

• Well.......

i'm knackered, I staggered 5.2km tonight at 7min per km nearly killed me image I can officially say that an 51m LSR the week before a marathon is NOT a good idea. 

I think that I've pretty much lost the race to Andi (Ecce) I doubt I will break 5h I'll start trying sub 5h, but by the end I might end up struggle to break 5:30 so might be joining the very slow train image 

hey miracles can happen image so you never know 3 days of no running and I might improve image but the race is still on but if you are putting down bets, Bet on Andi image 

• my last run done until Sunday, was in the big smoke for a course so had a wee 4 mile run from the Dores Inn and back, I just wish i would be as fresh on Sunday...In other news the tail wind looks good for Sunday imagehttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfhv9z19u#?fcTime=1411858800

• Peteinthehills: last year the tea/coffee was free.

I'm taking throw away clothes and foil blankets. It's quite exposed up there at the start (OK I know I'm a southern softy) and your hanging around for a while.

Two busy days of work to come, so I can't wait for Friday to catch the plane up north.

Booktrunk: your a total legend if not a bit crazy.

• Last run done prior to (maybe) a couple of miles up and down Ness Walk on Saturday (testing my finishing pace lol).

BT, I know your game, start way (way) behind me then finish a few metres behind then claim the winimage  Rest up now girl and you'll be fine image

I'm still unsure if I'll take my hydration belt with some isotonic drink and extra tabs with the pocket full of jelly babies or just use the stations and have extra jelly babies in my pocket (plus a couple of packs of tissues).

Things I've read you shouldn't do close to marathon day ... and why ...

Cut your toe nails a good 10-14days before the race - if you cut too close then there is time for growth - I now have a cut in my big toe where I went too close!

Don't drink beer (maybe) a week prior to the race - got a tin out of the fridge last night and promptly dropped it on my (other) big toe!

Other than that all seems to be ticking over nicely image In fact,  I'm (pretty) sure this week I've managed to get the first 3 miles sorted at a nice low AHR so just need to replicate that another 8 times image

Oh, last year I was looking for the 5 hour starting position but there wasn't one, it stopped at 4:30 so be prepared for a mixed pace near the back. I did go to a Charity shop and paid a fiver for a tracksuit with a plan of leaving it at the line but quite liked it so will be wearing it again this year (popped it on the bag bus as it was a nice day).

• Looks like it is going to be warm so I'll be running with as little baggage as possible. 6 gels and very small phone. And £5 (I'm a cheapskate). Getting excited - got photographed by the local paper with some of my colleagues at Baxters in our running gear. Fame at last.

• Haven't decided on a final running kit but my training runs have been with a hydration belt so I'll probably go with that. It might be useful to have a bit if extra water available between stations if I get thirsty. I'll be taking a gel (nessecary evil) at each 10k point and washing them down at the water station.

I've been practising gel and water taking while on the run. Can do the gel ok now, but the water I struggle with so will probably slow right down or walk to take on the water.

Trying to eat some healthy but carb heavy options is proving challenging. Three days of pasta ahead I think!
  • Are the water station supplying sports capped bottles? This year I've run events supplying everything from plastic cups to sports caps & it's only the sports capped one that I don't waterboard myself with. I've done my lsr using a camelbak backpack, but won't be taking that on marathon day.

Planning on 4 or 5 gels and a energy banana bar. Seriously considering wearing my flipbelt to carry my phone, the views might cause me to forget my time plan and I can then take some nice pictures.

You've all get me a bit worried about the start might find a foil blanket to wrap up in after handing everything else over to the bad bus

• Andy just stand around and freeze, then you will set off flying to warm up 

• Did a gentle 4 miler this morning and to do 2 miles tomorrow. Feeling pains in my buttock and knee, so hopefully paracetamol will sort that out. Going to run with my water belt so I have my carb drink and can carry jelly babies and my phone plus tissues. Extra clothing will go in my bag on the lorry back to the start. Feeling nervous and slightly sick at the thought but sounds like I'll meet several of you at the 4:30hours starting point. Someone suggested taking Imodium before a race to prevent and bowel problems. Has anyone else tried that?
  • Yes, but ideally you should of practised it... Unless you know what effect Imodium has on you.

• BT starting off too fast is already something I'm bound to do, don't want to be starting even faster. I have an unused foil blanket from an event goody bag somewhere so will bring that along just in case it is freezing on the mountain side.

• Go for a jog if you get cold. image

• If you want salt on Sunday carry a handful of salted nuts to munch at appropriate times, had no electrolyte drink on Sunday, just drank lots of water and three cans of full calorie coke.

• All I'll be carrying is gels (one every 30 mins, so how many do I take … ?) in the back pockets of my top.  Cannot be doing with carrying 'stuff' when I'm running.  
    The water stations are close enough together not to need to carry water but, like Andy, if it's not in a sports cap bottle I'll end up with more on me than in me.
    Might bring a bin bag to wear at the start.

• Nurse: I tend to carry 6 or 7 gels, I take them before the water stations, then wash down with water from the station.  Last one at 35 if I have 7.  If I have 6 the same but skip the first water station. 

I don't bother after 35km as frankly there is no point, by the time you absorb it you'll be at the end if you eat any later.

• Have we not had this conversation about km... stop making me use Google to find out what the hell you are going on about. It's like a foreign language. imageimage

Edited: to add smilies so no one took my moaning too seriously. 

• Imodium (aka Loperamide) is an essential for me. I agree that its best to try it out before hand, so it may be too late. I find it can work very well but is no absolute guarantee you won't need to dive into the trees anyway. What with the dehydration that comes with the marathon you may find that normal service is not resumed for several days afterwards. 2 pills one hour before the race works best for me. Don't take it too early because you don't want to deter any 'last minute weight loss' before the start.

• AndyRuns image every runner should know their 1.609 times tables. Or their divide by 1.609 tables.  it helps keep you occupied on marathons.... How many miles / km have i gone.. Leaving x to go, that whiles away quite a while working it out in your head.

• booktrunk/Andy I'm all about the "times by 8 multiply by 5" or visa versa, as booktrunk says... keeps be occupied!

we are having a macmillans coffee morning at work today, it's great, but I've already eaten too much cake and its not even lunchtime! My contribution was some chocolate beetroot brownies... couldn't resist after all the chat on here! image

right-o, off out for a run, last one before sunday (probably)...

• As I told the 2 people from run club who have degrees in maths it's a waste of time learning any maths, I own a calculator image
    But if I did try to convert miles to KM on the move I'd end up having to run much further than 26.2 miles. Probably end up having to run one of those ultra-thingys that only crazy people do image

• Its unseasonably hot here today.  20°C at lunch time according to my car...

New parts of my body are starting to ache...should I have a little run to fix it, or man up and save it 'til sunday.

• Man up and wait pete image be strong. 

• Think a couple of easy miles will probably do you good Pete. My legs have been unusually achy recently but a nice slow easy few miles yesterday and I fell much better today.