Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Agreed Heroine, the city ones are so overwhelming and very difficult to pace because of the over crowding.

Yes, come on Andyruns, what you signed up to??

• Nothing as fantastic as LN, I've just entered my local one Milton Keynes as I felt its on my door step I have to do it. But think it will be a B event to Guernsey marathon which might just be able to compare to LN, just need to look into the logistics first.

• Iron Pingu: How about Brathay Windermere marathon. 

Anyone doing Brighton next year?

Next up: Swindon half in a couple of weeks (More hills)

• Great runs and times everyone. Even though my time was not fast, I had to walk a lot in the second half, I have blisters and painful legs, I really enjoyed the race! Nice to meet everyone at ten start and chat to a few of you on the way round.

Alistair - I have a place for Brighton but I am also waiting to hear about the London ballot. I hear the magazines are on their way. 

I may be tempted to enter LN again if I could get some good hill and stamina training done over the winter. I did also say that I would not do another marathon!

• Whew! Just back home. Loved the race. Just reading through everyone's comments. Will post something proper tomorrow! Well done everyone image

• AndyRuns I've done the last two MK Marathons image nice medals, and a great finish in the stadium. Bit dull for the 26m in between the start and the stadium but Nowt wrong with it at all image 

• Just been out for a short 2 mile "jog" around the block and my hips are really sore, any advice to help recovery please?

• Rest for the rest of the week. image then look at 2 then 3m etc.. Very slowly but don't bother until next week, unless you do have another race coming up soon it makes no difference so just enjoy a proper weeks rest. 

• I am with Booktrunk on this, unless you have a specific reason why you absolutely have to be exercising I would just take a few days off. I went for a swim this morning and it has loosened me right up so that would be another option.

• Is I seem to have put 2kg on since the marathon a good reason to start running again?

Booktrunk, I did do the MK half this year, so doing the marathon next yea is me finishing it off. But I did the back to the stadium run last year finishing in the Olympic stadium so stadium finishes have been ruined for me. 

• OK, will do as I am told and rest, I do not need to be told twice. I may go for a swim after work, try and loosen up my hips.

• Andy: from my experience, don't bother weighing yourself for 5 days or so after a marathon,your weight fluctuates up a lot then comes down quickly, it's just all over the place and makes you paranoid, like running just wait a few days image 

• I think I'm lucky living up here as a lot of my local hill races and half marathons are through glorious countryside.

I doubt if I'll do another marathon any time soon.  I've got my sights on an Ironman (if I ever learn to swim properly).  I might be transferring to Texas next summer so I'll concentrate of getting my 10k and 5k times down towards 45mins and 20mins respectively.

I spent an hour with a physio yesterday and I'm feeling much better, although my digestion is still problematic...image

• Neither of us got in image Edinburgh it is then ...
  • Well done Pingu! Doubt I'll ever enter - far too much faffing around methinks (and don't like large crowds).

Pete, they seem like fast paced targets, you any where near them right now?

Another 30 minute recovery run today, no wildlife seen but did watch 7 NATO warships pass by my house!

• Have you seen this one...

http://www.fortwilliammarathon.co.uk/marathon-route/

The route might be harder than Loch Ness. 

Ecce, 48 min 10k and 23min 5k are my current pbs. I think I can do it on flat ground. Lol. I just can't run long!

• Congrats on London IP. I had a fantastic sports massage today and the physio put strapping on my calf. Feels so much better. Told to rest for a few more days. Nearly entered the Jedburgh half end Oct but hubby is working and not going all that way on my own. Maybe next year.
  • Iron Pingu hurrah! image 

• Cheers, I've been going on about not wanting to do it again after the wonderful Loch Ness, lol, looking forward to it now though.  Although don't hate me, this is my 4th ballot place out of 5 entries.

i had seen the fortwilliam one Pete, very tempted, though not for next yr now!

• Pete, how on Earth can you show us something like that!  Anyone would be a brave soul to tackle that in the middle of July (not that that guarantees sunshine in that part of the world, naturally)!

Have been on the bike briefly, and an extremely short run to try to shake off a bit of the agony.  Oh, and to help break in my new shoes I treated myself to yesterday!

I bought them at the Run4It in Edinburgh...where the guy who finished second at Loch Ness was working that day.  And he worked Monday too.  'Awed' is the only word for it!

• Pete,  impressive times! must work on the marathon time now image And yup, signed up for the Fort William Marathon a couple of weeks ago! Multi Terrain is canal tow path, forest trail/track and tarmac.

• Well done Pingu. I entered the ballot but Have not heard yet. I am thinking no news means a no. Two of my friends have had yes letters and 2 have had no's. 

My hips feel a lot better today so think I am on the road to recovery, I still have that post marathon, God I did it, glow. I have started looking at some short races now but would still love to break the 4:30 for a marathon.

• Woke up this morning and my legs, my god, I think today is the first time in months I have woken up and my legs don't ache! They have no energy in them, a short bike ride to work and now they just want to rest, but at least they don't hurt. 

My race calendar is already filling up got 2 halves and a 10k booked for this year and a half and marathon booked for next year... Might have to start taking it easy on the race bookings or my wife might leave me.

Lucky Pingu, I take it you like London marathon then? Not sure myself have never entered as like Ecce I'm not keen on the idea of the massive crowds but maybe I should experience it once, hmmm maybe next year I will enter the ballot  

• It sounds like you've all moved on to thinking about the next thing already image Good luck to all those waiting hear about London.

I hung around in Scotland until Tuesday. Had a smashing time exploring the Black Isle, sitting on a beach in the sunshine, watching Dolphins then driving down the Great Glen and getting the brilliant West Highland railway back to Glasgow.  A really top (long) weekend image

I loved the marathon and managed a 25 min pb over my first mara, finishing in 4:15:24. Very happy with that. The hills were better then I had expected. Race organisation was pretty top notch I thought. It was great to see so many of you and I enjoyed running the first few miles with Helga. We went out too fast but how could you not?

Have to admit I am now looking at Autumn marathons for next year. But secretly because I also have issues with my spouse image

• benignmurmurring wrote (see)

Have to admit I am now looking at Autumn marathons for next year. But secretly because I also have issues with my spouse image

lol...I know where you're coming from!  I mentioned that I quite fancied doing a local half marathon at the end of the month and my wife said "but I thought you weren't doing any more races?!"

• I have been told the Venice marathon is very nice image

• oooh Venice, that sounds nice. Looks like they even have place available for this year... although with a £75 entry fee for people outside of Italy, I get the impression they don't want too many foreigners entering 

• I will be able to tell you all about Venice in a couple of weeks when I run it!

Andyruns I'm afraid 75 euros isn't that bad, the bigger the race the more expensive it gets with the exception being London, for some reason that one is peanuts but it will never be an issue for most of us as we'll never even get a sniff at getting in on the ballot image.

Someone was asking about scenic marathons - take a look at Jersey, the pics from there look reasonably similar to Loch Ness, just without the loch!

I did a bit of a run last night, just 4 miles, it was reasonably horrible! I went for another swim today, it feels so nice in the water and has definitely freed up my legs a bit, but that might just be because my arms feel like they're going to fall off now instead!!