Problems with adidas trainers?

I'm just looking to see if anyone else is having issues with adidas trainers since they switched to using Continental tyre rubber on the soles of their trainers?

I bought the Supernova Sequence 6 (2 different colour pairs) in December, with the Continental rubber on the soles, and the one pair has had to go back after 80 miles as the soles of the shoe had worn down significantly.

I have also found I am having lower leg issues with the back of the knee and calf as there doesn't appear to be as much cushioning and flexibility around the ball of the toes as there used to be.

I have no connection to adidas but have always run in their brand of trainer.  I did e-mail to ask about this and the response was "to go and get my gait analysed".

I am going to have to find another trainer to wear, but just wondered if other people had found problems since the switch to Continental rubber.

Thanks.

Comments

• I bought a pair with the Conti rubber on last April - I've put a few hundred miles on them - mainly races and there is hardly any wear ? I like them.
  • I wore Adizeros for around 5 years problem free until the last pair I bought in October 2013.  Don't know what they've changed in them but I found they were flaring up my ITB problem quite significantly on very few miles.  Now running in K Swiss and they're great.

• Thanks cougie - I want to hear from those who are still happy in them too! image

CD - have the adizeros got the conti rubber on the sole too now?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

are both shoes wearing down the same or just one?  probably is just the way you run.

i bought some brooks gts13 after rave reviews and one sole wore down on me after about 80m too. but its the way i run so really its my fault.

• There is no way you can possibly connect your injury to your trainers. You just happened to wearing those shoes when the injury happened. That's what they mean when they say get analised. Go find the real problem!

• It was evenly worn, but after 80 miles it was excessive wear even then.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

freudian slip if ever I saw one!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Is that a new service that Sweatshop is offering?
  • How do you come to that conclusion Philomena?

• The question is how do you come to the conclusion that the trainers caused the injury? I've had a few injuries over the years and have never blamed the shoes for anything more than a blister. I think getting analised might be more beneficial.

• As Millsy says you can get analised in Sweatshop but you might need a more professional service and get fully analised.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The people that people that fell for the insoles hard sell definitely got analised, or shafted, or something like that.

On a serous note, it's highly unlikely the trainers caused the injury. It's more likely to be caused by poor running form / imbalances or overuse.
  • I had been analysed, and I need moderate stability, with some cushioning. I've been with the same trainer (adidas supernova sequence) through versions 2, 3, 4 and 5, so I ordered the 6's as I couldn't find any more of the earlier versions to purchase.  This version doesn't feel as cushioned or as comfortable, and the sole isn't as flexible as the toes bend.

I have found and ordered a pair of the old version 4's online today which don't have the Continental rubber sole, so I will see how I feel in those when they arrive.

I appreciate your point that it might not be the trainers, but nothing else that I am aware of has changed. I know I overpronate, and I know I need cushioning too.

• Philomena, respectfully disagree. You absolutely can get injuries from the wrong trainers. I have recently damaged my foot after running 20 miles in a new pair of shoes that were wrong for me (I know, I know... I really should know better...) Damage was down to the fact the shoes didn't have enough flex and I slightly pronate so when I landed it didn't allow me to roll in and outside of foot took too much impact. Entirely down to incorrect shoe choice. This is why it is so important for people to make sure they are running in correct trainers.

• Maybe BR it was just that the shoes were different to your normal ones.  If you'd started out running in those and used them for years, then switched to your 'normal' ones, then they'd have injured you instead.

My theory is that if there was only one running shoe available that everybody used all the time, there'd be fewer running injuries.

• I use about 10 different pairs, the difference being these were VERY stiff in the mid/fore and have no lateral flex, which my all of my usual ones do. I regularly test trainers for reviews etc and have never had an issue like this before.   My main point is that the shoes caused the injury - which is against Philomena's comment.

Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

There is no way you can possibly connect your injury to your trainers. You just happened to wearing those shoes when the injury happened.

Interesting theory - I suspect you are correct!

• Read my quote again BR. Where does it say the wrong shoes can't cause injury? Recent theories have suggested that cushioning shoes and stability shoes actually cause more injuries. But to ring adidas and say that their shoes caused your injury you need more proof than the fact you were wearing them at the time. There are so many other factors that could have caused the problem. 

• I had a blackout during a run last year - I was wearing adidas shoes with continental rubber soles at the time, so maybe there's something in what the OP is saying.

• I should clarify - I e-mailed adidas to ask if there was perhaps another style of shoe that would suit me better, bearing in mind that I need some cushioning and some moderate support.  I didn't tell them that their shoe had caused my injury.

• It would quite a rational response from them to suggest you get a gait analysis then would it not? 

• As I said, I had been analysed.

• I'm not a great believer in gait analysis(in shoe sales) but how else would you expect adidas to suggest a pair of shoes for you through an e-mail?

• Because I need something with moderate stability and cushioning, and just wondered if there was another shoe in their range that I could go to a store and try.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why not go to your local running shop and get some advice from an expert?
  • At the time I couldn't get to the local running shop, and I prefer adidas, so thought I would ask them first. Brand loyalty and all that.

I didn't want to have to change brand if I don't have to as I have tried other brands and haven't found one that I am as comfortable with as adidas. I've been running in adidas trainers for over 10 years - predominantly the supernova sequence for the last 6 years.  The newer version doesn't feel as comfortable as the other previous versions, and doesn't have the same flexibility in the toe area, so I just thought I would ask adidas if there was another model of shoe that they might recommend, and I thought I would ask here to see if other people had found problems.

That's all.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It might be time to try another brand if you are not getting on with them.

I've got a pair of Adidas Adizero Adios and have had no problems with them so far. I do have about 4 different pairs ( different brands) on rotation at any one time.
  • MIllsy - which brands do you use? I've always used adidas and use the kanadias for trail.  I've tried asics and saucony in the shop and haven't got on with them - they just didn't feel comfortable.

I am beginning to feel that if the adidas no longer work for me then obviously I will have to try something else, but it's finding something that will fit and feel right.  The adidas always felt like they were just the right fit. I have managed to find some old version 4's online and that'll do for now, but it's just a short term fix.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I buy whatever is going cheap and fits well.

I think I've had stuff from all the major brands in the last few yrs.

On the current rotation is

Adios - speed work and road races

Nike free - general road mileage

New Balance 610 - general off road

New Balance 110 - off road races