Llanelli 13 April 2014

Anyone else doing the Great Welsh Marathon on 13 April?

I am getting a bit anxious I haven't had any info from the organisers and they haven't replied to my email contact!

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I think their info is last minute.  I ran it last year (and have entered this) but can't remember when they sent information.

Have a look at the course beforehand so that you know where to expect all the turnaround points and out-and-back sections - there are a lot of them.  I found it a very good, low-key event.  Very flat indeed.

• thanks T-rex. Flat is good image

• they have sent me a message saying race packs will be sent out early next week and info on facebook from tomorrow

• ran the marathon a couple of times and PB'd both times...2010 and 2011 hubby did it in 2012 and got a PB.........

It was a well organised race both times.....minor problems on the first running in 2010 were all sorted out by the following year.....

the only problem there can be if its a very windy day as exposed....but nothing you can do about that........lovely area and I could run my own race from 100m into the race......loved it...will try again next year when I'm back to running moreimage

• will be my first marathon - have always injured myself before others that I have entered. I think I might be ridiculously slow, but I suppose I am the only one that actually cares about that! It will be a PB regardless of time...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

mathschick - you OK this time?  Ease off the training a lot between now and race day. You won't lose any fitness.  Dose up with Vit C to boost the immune system and keep away from people with germs.

Come the start line there will be no holding you back.

• yeah, I am fine, but I have been doing all run/walk so will be slow! I am definitely easing off now, have been to the physio tonight as I have been getting a bit stiff and sore in my right hip but I think if I take it slow on the day I will be ok - I managed 20 very slow miles on Saturday without niggles raising their heads. Just hope there is still someone at the finish line with my medal when I finish!image

• got my pack today - I am number 34. Looks like weather should be ok, dry and not too warm

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Website doesn't seem to have any information.  Does anyone have a link to a map of the course, or anything else useful?

I'm #276

• the information is all on facebook - they emailed it out too

https://www.facebook.com/Human.Being.Active?fref=ts

I'll look out for you T-rex, I will be the slow one trying to beat the cutoff! I am planning on wearing a bright yellow top and probably black shorts. I mean it about the cutoff, I hope they aren't too strict. image but whatever will be will be and I will give it my best shot!

• if you aren't on facebook, pm me your email address and I'll forward you the email they sent me which I am pretty sure had the course map on.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Had did you get on, mathschick?  I thought 8:45 miling was a realistic target for a 3:49 finish - plucked out of thin air really - but could only make it at that pace until mile 21.  The next 4 miles out to that lonely turnaround point was a mixture of running and walking until the 25-mile marker and then I somehow managed to find some energy and finished at a good speed.  Rather disappointing 4:02 finish, but a very enjoyable event.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

They used the same course as 2013 , which I ran, so route OK.

• T-Rex - I finished my first marathon!! 6:00:53image I was hoping for that kind of time and was just so happy to finish. Yes, that last turnround point was a lonely strip (although I had a cyclist back-marker with me the last time!). Loved the event, we are staying in an apartment near the visitor centre so husband and kids were there every time I went past with a camera and a banana for me, and waiting for me at the end. I did walk/run the whole way although I ran the last 300m or so

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Glad they didn't take you off the course with only 53s to go!  That would have been very cruel.

Well done on your first marathon.

• thanks! They did ask me when I went past the finish chute to do the last loop if I thought I would be able to do it within 6 hours and I confidently said yes!