Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon anyone?

Comments

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Got the inflatable rock n roll guitars and bandanas!!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    In two minds - run for a time or dress up? Was thinking of dressing like Slash and bringing the guitar!
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I'm definitely going for best time - I can drag a few more charity donations in if I go sub4 and my form has definitely improved since Manchester. Still going for a bit of glitz with it, although nothing I ordered at the weekend has turned up yet; cheapest black vest I could find and a few colourful iron-on transfers. Got some cheap sunglasses I can dig out too; don't mind ditching them if they become bothersome.

Andy - Slash will be very appropriate - I was at the GnR gig in the Echo Arena in 2012! Of course no sign of Slash that evening - given the band's notorious late timekeeping his final arrival in 2014 will be a winner with the fans.

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I must say there has been practically no comments on this thread around times, pbs,  even training! Most people in it for the fun? Course looks a bit hilly to me for best time.......anyway my concern now is the weather!!! Please don't let it be too hot or too windy!! Let it be like Manchester! !  image

• Looks like the heat will drop a bit for sunday and scattered showers are forecast,wind looks to be ok too,this forum is strangely quiet for a marathon though!
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I'm trying to remember 2011; first time I broke 4hrs; that one had the Queensway tunnel in it; 170ft drop; 170ft climb, and included the climb up to Sefton Park, so probably on a par with this route. I'm planning to cruise up to the stadia and then put in a bit of effort on the way back to the Parliament St turn and see how things go once over the top. On a good day, like the current weather forecast is pitching at us, this looks like a fair chance at another sub4 to me. Only other hazard will be the tumbleweed blowing through the deserted course as we meagre few discover we are the only runners out there.    

• Watch out for Clint Eastwood image

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

And Eli Wallachimage

• Hi there

Does anybody know any clubs in Manchester/Sales that have organised coach/transport for people to go to Liverpool R&R Marathon this Sunday? I am staying in Sales and just check the train times but it is no good so need to find alternatives.

Thanks

• Tina I know Manchester tri are a friendly lot so them might be able to help. National Express normally have a early morning coach if you get stuck.

• hi Cake

Do you happen to have a personal contact for Man. Tri?

Cheers

• Afraid not I know a few of them but don't know any of them who are playing sunday. They do have a forum through on there web site might be worth while just being very checky and asking them link and you might get lucky. They are quite a big club so might work. But if your stuck I would also get on google and see what you can.

• Just in case if your able to get a lift of them and it's not a organised group from the main club just make sure your not travelling alone with someone and/or no-one else knows it. Basic health and safety and all that.

• Best job in the world for me on Sunday. I'm commentating on the event to support and encourage all you brilliant people.

You can tweet me @brianporterrun with messages of support or send me a private email on here.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Tina, there is a bus out of central manchester at 7am getting in to Liverpool One bus station, just a brief walk to the start, for 8:10, its an early start to use the general bus links to get to that from Sale, nothing direct that morning, but here is how to do it: http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/journeyplanner/showJourneyDetailsPage.do?rid=1400706450061&hss=HN3Mt266089727 possibly a taxi to Sackville Street would mean a much later start out from Sale for you. 

• Its really annoying that the HM start is so early. I'm lucky as only live 10 miles away but there are no trains running that early and with the concert afterwards that rules out driving so its a taxi. Its going to be difficult for a lot of people. Why they cant run it at 9 with the marathon is beyond me, 8am is too early in my opinion! But having said that Im looking forward to it! 

• I still think a lot of the half runners will be on the first train across and arriving a few mins late, may be a little chaotic!

1 more run for me and then done, training could have been better, could have been worse image  , see what happens on the day. Enjoy the carb loading.

Looks likely to be a wet one.

Good luck all.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Brian Porter - that rings a bell - didn't you officaly measure the Preston Guild marathon course? A man of many talents!

BBC long ranger is currently playing down the chance of rain; dropped from 40% all day to generally 20% with a 40% peak at 1pm - just when we need a refreshing shower! Temp and wind dropping too as we approach the big day. Fingers crossed it remains at somethng like that; I prefer it cool.

So, when is everyone starting to hit the pasta? In training I hardly ever practice this through lack of planning; wake up Sunday to do a 20 miler and suddenly realise I had a cheese sandwich, pickled onion and 4 pints of bitter for tea the day before instead of spaghetti aglio e olio with a small glass of red.

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

lowrez - good reminder of the carboloading lark.  totally forgot that bit so will be starting tonight.  EEK.  

• I love a bit of carb loading especially during the post race phase!!!  I'm particularly looking forward to the free beer and wine!!!

On a side note I've noticed that Radio City are telling people to tune in during the race which seems to be encouraging headphone use.  This also happened during the Chester Half via Capital FM and the headphone wearers caused chaos for the ambulances trying to reach the injured runners (it was very hot). 

I am a relatively novice runner but I had thought that headphones were banned for precisely the reason above.

• Yeah they are frowned upon by the organisers and some runners. But as long as you are sensible and don't put them on at the start then there's never really an issue. I never put mine on till I'm in my stride and in no danger of colliding with anyone, keep my line etc.

Its the ones that stick them on straight at the start, run in the middle of the road 3 abreast then decide to stop and walk. 

Bottom line, if you're wearing them keep your eyes open to the sides and behind you. 

Im finished with training now, going to spend the weekend relaxing till Sunday, Ill have my usual pasta on Sun then hope it all goes well on the day. 

Good luck to everyone taking part. Lets hope for a cool day, not too much sun, maybe even a bit of light rain in the last few miles!image

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    DanL wrote (see)
    Im finished with training now, going to spend the weekend relaxing till Sunday, Ill have my usual pasta on Sun then hope it all goes well on the day. 

You have pasta for breakfast? image

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

You get those strange phones now that don't go in your ears, transmit sound through your "head bones" so you can still be aware of whats happening around you - I saw someone with them on the other day but can't figure out how they stay on?

I have hit the "food loading" trail, if not pure "carb" loading with gusto today! After 6 weeks of being good and losing almost a kilo per week I suspect I have put it all back on just this morning. I read some stuff on here along the lines of carb up your meals and eat snacks in between so far it's been a challenge but I have managed:

Breakfast at home:-
    2 weetabix and a banana with coffee
    Into work and down to the canteen for-
    Hash brown, fried bread, bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding, tomoato
    Early lunch:-
    Fish, chips, mushy peas, muller rice
    On the way back from lunch spotted a meeting with buffet not all eaten and abandoned:-
    Scampi, curly fries, strawberries, grapes, pate, cheese, sultana loaf, hot chocolate, and smuggled out a bottle of full sugar coke to help me through the afternoon.

Still got 2 emergency bananas in my bag! The articles I read said those who get carbo loading right do perform better on the day. I suspect whilst I have applied myself to the method of eating regularly the content might not be optimised toward carbs so far?

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Job lot of brown rice last night and similar tonight.  I just struggle with the shear volume of grub to try and carbo load.

will see how it all pans out on the day.  Will their be pork pies on the way round? 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Great news for halfers Reedy!

Loz - I don't do pasta for breakfast on race day; I go for toast heavily laden with marmalade and peanut butter, sultana bran type cereal or porridge, banana and coffee about 3 hours before kick-off and then have a sports drink/water within reach all the way up to the gun.

Haven't managed to knock back anything more than another hot chocolate since lunch phase II today.

• good luck to everyone tomorrow,hope you all achieve you set out to do but most importantly enjoy it and leave all your anxieties at home.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Damn - only just spotted this thread, must search more. 

Looks like we might get damp but it's looking like the wind will be at our backs along Otterspool. 

Good luck everyone

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

We're in our travel lodge! ! Have fun you all!!

• according to bbc weather its looking like the rain isnt coming til 2 pm and even then its only light rain,fingers crossed this could be the perfect conditions for running it image